Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Tasted Death for every Man !

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
From beginning to end, NON-Calvinism is of the Devil. (I can also make ridiculous, unfounded, unfeeling statements too.) But, let's evaluate your statement critically.
Premise 1: Calvinism believes Christ is God
Premise 2: For_his_glory stated that "Calvinism is of the devil"
Conclusion: For_his_glory thinks that the statement that Christ is the Son of God is of the devil for that is what Calvinism teaches and Calvinism is of the devil
PLEASE, think before you make broad brush statements! It seems an administrator would be more considerate of the beliefs of other denominations and no author such pejoratives. If you think a doctrine is false, state why and leave it at that. Please don't tell me and others on this forum that our doctrine is of the devil ... don't troll us.

Premise 1: Salvific faith today requires faith in CHRIST. John 3:18 Whoever believes and has decided to trust in Him [as personal Savior and Lord] is not judged [for this one, there is no judgment, no rejection, no condemnation]; but the one who does not believe [and has decided to reject Him as personal Savior and Lord] is judged already [that one has been convicted and sentenced], because he has not believed and trusted in the name of the [One and] only begotten Son of God [the One who is truly unique, the only One of His kind, the One who alone can save him]. (Other verses confirm the need of knowledge of Christ for salvation, but one is enough)
Premise 2: Billions of people never of Christ and are dead. (this is beyond doubt, one can google it and find organizations attesting to this fact ... joshuaproject.net/resources/articles/has_everyone_heardjoshuaproject.net/resources/articles/has_everyone_heard)
Conclusion: God does not give everyone a chance to be saved. This is another example of non-calvinist defective doctrine
If what does not line up with scripture is false teachings and where do false teaching come from, but the twisted word of Satan working through others.

If you believe in limted atonement then you are refuting Jesus, not me. I am one of the "whosoevers" in John 3:16.

Why would I ever say that Christ is the Son of God is of the devil!!! Please do not twist my words.

God is righteous in all His judgements as it is not God, but man that condems himself to the lake of fire, John 5:28-29.

I, as well as many others, have shown you with scripture that limited atonement is a fasle teaching that John Calvin taught. It might be your doctrine, but is not supported with scripture.

I will stand my ground on the word of God, not man, that Christ died for all, everyone, that will by faith through God's grace believe and accept Jesus as Lord and Savior.

Look at your Premise 1 as even you use the word "Whoever" It is Calvin who defined that word as limiting God's atonement to a certain predestined select group.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
John 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

How can anyone refute what Jesus already spoke.

God is righteous in all His judgements. It is you (Calvinism) that refutes all the scriptures that say Jesus died for all. The teaching of Limited Atonement comes against what has already been written in the scriptures that many have given you.

It's your freewill choice to believe what John Calvin taught, or what Jesus has already said. I will believe Jesus.
You do understand that your position which promotes that Jesus tasted death for all without exception, because if your faulty understanding of Heb 2:9, it means that God is unjust since He has punished people for the same sins, once in Christ, and now again in the sinner who goes to hell for their sins which Christ has already tasted death for. Thats unjust !

You do understand that your position which promotes that Jesus tasted death for all without exception, because if your faulty understanding of Heb 2:9, it means that God is unjust since He has punished people for the same sins, once in Christ, and now again in the sinner who goes to hell for their sins which Christ has already tasted death for. Thats unjust !
Hebrews 2:5-18 is speaking about the founder of salvation. Where does it speak about limited atonement. In fact please list the scriptures that do speak of this.

So you sticking with it. You know the ramifications !
I asked you a question in post # 1143 and it would seem easy for you to share those scriptures I asked for so we could discuss them in a mature manner. I can only assume by your not giving them then you have none that teach about limited atonement.

Remember, full context is needed for full understanding. Anyone can take just one verse and make it say what they want, but when you use the full context of the scripture before and after that verse then knowledge presents itself.

I asked you a question in post # 1143 and it would seem easy for you to share those scriptures I asked for so we could discuss them in a mature manner. I can only assume by your not giving them then you have none that teach about limited atonement.

Remember, full context is needed for full understanding. Anyone can take just one verse and make it say what they want, but when you use the full context of the scripture before and after that verse then knowledge presents itself.
I have given plenty of scripture in this thread begininng from the OP, so again, if you stay with the notion that Christ tasted death for all mankind, then it will be unjust with God to punish them again for the same sins. If that's your position fine with me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have given plenty of scripture in this thread begininng from the OP, so again, if you stay with the notion that Christ tasted death for all mankind, then it will be unjust with God to punish them again for the same sins. If that's your position fine with me.
I don't know why you are twisting and reading this into what I have already presented in my understanding of scripture.

carm.org/Did Jesus die for everyone? My Calvinist friends say no.
by Matt Slick

This is a common question regarding Reformed Theology and is known as limited atonement. Reformed theology, also known as Calvinism, teaches that Jesus only bore the sins of the elect and that He did not die for the sins of everyone who ever lived. This teaching is held by the Reformed and Presbyterian Churches as well as some Baptist ones. It is controversial in that there is debate regarding its validity from scripture. Nevertheless, we must understand that believing or not believing in limited atonement has no bearing on whether or not someone is a Christian or not. The issue is denominational; that is, it is a perspective held by some Christian churches but not others.

Nevertheless, is limited atonement biblical? The reader will have to decide. To help in making that decision, the following arguments for and against it are offered.

For Limited Atonement
If Jesus actually died for the sins of everyone who ever lived, then why does anyone go to hell? This argument holds that if Jesus actually did pay for everyone's sins, including unbelief, then no one should go to hell. The counter argument is that people must believe to be saved. The answer to this is that even disbelief is a sin that has been paid for; therefore, no one should go to hell. But, since people do go to hell, it is logical to believe that Jesus only bore the sins of the Christians. The Reformed theologians would say that though Jesus' sacrifice was sufficient for all, it was not intended for all.

Scriptures used to support limited atonement are as follows:

Jesus died for 'many.'
Matt. 26:28, "for this is My blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for forgiveness of sins."
Jesus died for the sheep (not the goats, per Matt. 25:32-33);
John 10:11,15 "I am the good shepherd; the good shepherd lays down His life for the sheep...15 even as the Father knows Me and I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep."
Matt. 25:32-33, "And all the nations will be gathered before Him; and He will separate them from one another, as the shepherd separates the sheep from the goats; 33 and He will put the sheep on His right, and the goats on the left."
Jesus in prayer interceded for the ones given Him, not those of the entire world;
John 17:9, "I ask on their behalf; I do not ask on behalf of the world, but of those whom Thou hast given Me; for they are Thine;"
The Church was purchased by Christ, not all people.
Acts 20:28, "Be on guard for yourselves and for all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood."
Eph. 5:25-27, "Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself up for her; 26 that He might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, 27 that He might present to Himself the church in all her glory, having no spot or wrinkle or any such thing; but that she should be holy and blameless."
Prophecy of Jesus' crucifixion where he would bore the sins of many (not all).
Isaiah 53:12, "Therefore, I will allot Him a portion with the great, and He will divide the booty with the strong; because He poured out Himself to death, and was numbered with the transgressors; yet He Himself bore the sin of many, and interceded for the transgressors."

Against Limited Atonement
The Bible says that Jesus died for all; therefore, Jesus died for all. God so loved the world, not just the Christian, that He died for everyone and it is up to the person to accept or reject Jesus. If he rejects Jesus, then the atonement is not applied to the person and he will go to hell. But, Jesus' sacrifice was not only sufficient for all, but intended for all.

Scriptures used to support an unlimited atonement are as follows:

Jesus died for everyone
John 1:29, "The next day he saw Jesus coming to him, and said, 'Behold, the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!'"
John 3:16, "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life."
John 4:42, "and they were saying to the woman, 'It is no longer because of what you said that we believe, for we have heard for ourselves and know that this One is indeed the Savior of the world.'"
1 Tim. 4:10, "For it is for this we labor and strive, because we have fixed our hope on the living God, who is the Savior of all men, especially of believers."
1 John 2:2, "and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world."
1 John 4:14, "And we have beheld and bear witness that the Father has sent the Son to be the Savior of the world."
Conclusion
There are points and counter-points related to this topic. Brilliant theologians reside on both sides of the issue. But, whether or not you believe in limited atonement, you must understand that those who do and those who don't are still Christians (provided they acknowledge and trust in the true God and Christ). We need to be tolerant of those with whom we disagree on doctrines that do not affect our salvation. So, whichever side you fall on as a Christian, be gracious to those who don't believe as you do. Remember, we have far more in common in Christ, than we have differences.

brightfame52 what you present in Calvin's teaching on limited atonement does affect many that think they could never be good enough to accept God's grace, or even makes them question their own salvation if they truly are part of the predestined elect of God. This is a dangerous road you travel.

Let me understand you Brightfame...
You take issue with for_his_glory for not agreeing with you.

Instead you should be very accepting of her view.

Don't you realize God predestinated her to have this view of Limited Atonement?

Why argue with God's will?

(One of the two,,,take your pick)

This is a common question regarding Reformed Theology and is known as limited atonement. Reformed theology, also known as Calvinism, teaches that Jesus only bore the sins of the elect and that He did not die for the sins of everyone who ever lived. This teaching is held by the Reformed and Presbyterian Churches as well as some Baptist ones. It is controversial in that there is debate regarding its validity from scripture. Nevertheless, we must understand that believing or not believing in limited atonement has no bearing on whether or not someone is a Christian or not. The issue is denominational; that is, it is a perspective held by some Christian churches but not others.

FHG,

Your statement of "Reformed theology, also known as Calvinism," is misleading. I believe in Reformed theology but I'm a Reformed Arminian. Jacob Arminius was a Dutch Reformed minister and, thus, a Reformed Arminian. See the article,
Meet a Reformed Arminian - The Gospel Coalition.

Reformed Arminianism is a major branch of Protestantism based on the theological ideas of the Dutch Reformed theologian Jacobus Arminius (1560–1609) and his followers.

See also:

Is Arminianism “Reformed?” | Roger E. Olson - Patheos​

Oz

Attachments

• 1641178953733.gif
    1641178953733.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 1
  • 1641178953682.gif
    1641178953682.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 1
He won't be punishing them "again".
Jesus took the punishment for us who are in Him, but the unbeliever chose to pay for their own sins.
The "credit card" was on the table but they won't use it

FHG,

Your statement of "Reformed theology, also known as Calvinism," is misleading. I believe in Reformed theology but I'm a Reformed Arminian. Jacob Arminius was a Dutch Reformed minister and, thus, a Reformed Arminian. See the article,
Meet a Reformed Arminian - The Gospel Coalition.

Reformed Arminianism is a major branch of Protestantism based on the theological ideas of the Dutch Reformed theologian Jacobus Arminius (1560–1609) and his followers.

See also:

Is Arminianism “Reformed?” | Roger E. Olson - Patheos

Oz
It truly does not matter to me who you follow, but limited atonement comes against what is written in the scriptures.

One of the most famous verses in the entire Bible (and justifiably so is John 3:16...

" For this is the way God loved the world: He gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life." NET v 2.1

It says everyone who believes in him... Not some who believe in Him, not just those of some denomination. Why is this even being debated?

One of the most famous verses in the entire Bible (and justifiably so is John 3:16...

" For this is the way God loved the world: He gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life." NET v 2.1

It says everyone who believes in him... Not some who believe in Him, not just those of some denomination. Why is this even being debated?

Jay,

Quoting that verse doesn't solve the issue we are discussing. I agree that everyone who believes will receive eternal life and not perish. The issue for the Calvinist is: Not all are capable of believing.

I don't accept that position but many do. I don't have my head in the water.

Oz

Jay,

Quoting that verse doesn't solve the issue we are discussing. I agree that everyone who believes will receive eternal life and not perish. The issue for the Calvinist is: Not all are capable of believing.

I don't accept that position but many do. I don't have my head in the water.

Oz
Calvinists really believe that? If I were interested in why they believe that I would continue the discussion about it but I'm not. I believe the Bible, not a denominational fallacy.

No, as long as what one teaches lines up with scripture and not the other way around like so many try to do.

FHG,

I hope you appreciate that teaching Scripture requires: (1) Understanding what different words mean (using Lexicons in the original languages for those who know the original languages), (2) Correct understanding of grammar, and (3) Correct use of syntax.

There is no self-interpreting literature - any literature - without proper use of meanings, grammar & syntax. Do you allow for these necessities when interpreting Scripture?

Oz

Back