Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Tattoos... Yes, No?

M:

Tats and ear piercing are separate subjects.

Re. tattoos, it's not tattooing as an end in itself, but the application of the medium to faith based designs.

I guess there is a lot of potential there, right?
I suppose it can have it's place in someone's approach to evangelism. They probably wouldn't speak to me (if I weren't a Christian) but I can see how they would to some. I have a friend who has a real sorted past and has his own prison ministry. I'm not associating tattoos with the prison type of person. Just saying he had tattoos all over that weren't faith related. He actually later went an altered them to reflect his faith. The people he ministers to are more open to listening to him, because he "fits in". This is an extreme example of where tats can open doors to dialogue. I'm sure there are more ordinary circumstances when they could help.

Personally, I'd rather live with the regret of not getting a tat than live with the regret of having one.

Funny story (not sure if this will come off in print). I was in line this past summer at a park, and there was a guy with a shaved head in front of me. On the back of his head, he had a tattoo of a face. I'm telling you, this face was was so real looking! :shocked! I was with my kids and didn't want any trouble. I felt like this guy was staring me down in my peripheral vision. Finally, I looking up at him and started to say, "Excuse me. Is there a problem?", but all that came out was "exc..." and then I was wide eyed, looking at his printed face! :o :lol

Tats just aren't my thing. I hope you don't take offense to this. I'm not judging you or anyone else for having or using them. :)

Mike Wrote
Shut me up if this is off topic, but it seems related. Do the same people feel the same way about plastic surgery? What if it's corrective? What if it isn't corrective, but a person is disfigured just enough to be awkward in public? And no, I've never had plastic surgery.

mjjcb
I had plastic surgery done to the left side of my face from a chemical burn.

TorchHeart:

So did the placements work out okay in your view and were either of the themes faith related, maybe?

Sounds like you feel confident and comfortable with them, anyway.

The placements worked out well. I am happy with them, though neither are faith related. I'm more partial to the playing card on my shoulder than the one on my back (even though the one on my back is where I get my handle on here from).

God doesn`t change. If He didn`t like tatoos in the OT, why would He like them now?

pjt:

For the believer under grace, I guess there is a different situation from Jews in the land under the law, maybe. (Otherwise, preachers should stop shaving the corners of their beards, too, etc, as per Leviticus.)

For example (and this is a quite plausible situation): a lady that has been converted and who has a tattoo of the name of a former non-Christian bf, may wish to modify a tattoo that says (eg) 'Bill' to something such as 'Bible', etc, to reflect her faith.

(Does this make any sense, maybe?)

...had this discussion with my 14 year old son. He doesn't want one "yet", but we talked about them. ... I told him that until he is off on his own and even through college, we would not allow it. ...

Mike,

You said a while back (I didn't want to resuscitate a dead thread) that your teen son is in a general sense considering a tattoo for the future.

Two cents': this doesn't surprise me, actually. For very large numbers of young people, the 18th b-day parlor visit has become a kind of expected rite-of-passage institution, (usually after 'graduating' from the earlier first earring(s) stage).

In any case, he should know that most tattooists regard it as against professional ethics to give it to under-18s.

If you can dissuade him from doing it before you're comfortable with it, you'll obviously have a strategy that works well for you!

Mike,

You said a while back (I didn't want to resuscitate a dead thread) that your teen son is in a general sense considering a tattoo for the future.

Two cents': this doesn't surprise me, actually. For very large numbers of young people, the 18th b-day parlor visit has become a kind of expected rite-of-passage institution, (usually after 'graduating' from the earlier first earring(s) stage).

In any case, he should know that most tattooists regard it as against professional ethics to give it to under-18s.

If you can dissuade him from doing it before you're comfortable with it, you'll obviously have a strategy that works well for you!
Yeah, I don't know that he's thought any more of it. It wasn't a serious conversation about him being interested, but I thought I'd nip it in the bud. It was just mentioned in passing and never came up again. Now that I think about it, I guess I can't think of anyone under 18 who has a tat - where I can see it, anyway. :D

I'd be very upset with him if he did go against my rule for the issue. Our house - our rules. :grumpy If he or my daughters get one when they are off on their own, eh. I won't be thrilled, but that's their decision. :shrug

Yeah, I don't know that he's thought any more of it. It wasn't a serious conversation about him being interested, but I thought I'd nip it in the bud. It was just mentioned in passing and never came up again. Now that I think about it, I guess I can't think of anyone under 18 who has a tat - where I can see it, anyway. :D

I'd be very upset with him if he did go against my rule for the issue. Our house - our rules. :grumpy If he or my daughters get one when they are off on their own, eh. I won't be thrilled, but that's their decision. :shrug

Mike:

Well, it really is an over 18 thing, like with the rite of passage parlor visit at 18.

And also, really, some young ppl seem to see it as a kind of progression or at least in similar terms as getting piercings (whether ears, or whatever, some of which will have been received already in the run up to 18, often with parental permission - if not enthusiasm: I hear you there....:)).

God bless.

Truth is, I would also love to have a tattoo, but needles freak me out ! ... :lol

Tina. Hi. You must know what you would love to have, but do you know about numbing agents which some tattooists now use? never mind about needles; it can be pain free. :)

Back