Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Tattoos... Yes, No?

GodspromisesRyes said:
if it glorified God he would have put them on you :)

being all things to all ppl doesnt mean becomming a sinner

While I agree with your first statement, I don't believe getting tattoos makes you a sinner.

GodspromisesRyes said:
Nick said:
GodspromisesRyes said:
Would you think it is ok to go to the the temple in jerusalem when there was one and spray paint it? or to your local church and spray paint all over its walls??

that is what getting a tatoo does. If you are a believer then you have become the TEMPLE OF GOD. if you tatoo it then you have painted on a building that DOES NOT BELONG TO YOU.
I see the point of your analogy, and I agree that we shouldn't spray paint the temple/church walls.

But if we are glorifying Christ with our tattoos, then I am all for it, as long as it is considered that they will not always look as good as they are now, hence don't make it too prominent. I can't remember where but I think it was Paul who said he became poor to bring the Word to the poor, and so on. I think it's important for us Christians to reach out to the typical culture which embraces worldy tattoos, and us getting one that is Christ-centred may be a good step for this.
if it glorified God he would have put them on you :)

being all things to all ppl doesnt mean becomming a sinner
I think it is here we must disagree.

If God wanted us all to be preachers wouldn't he have given that gift to us? Possibly not the best example but you can see what I am getting at, no?

If I wear a tattoo that glorifies God and therefore I can also reach people in these kind of situations that have 'worldy' tattoos, then I am all for it. I cannot see that the Bible puts a case against this, and says that this is a sin to try and reach people and glorify God in this area.

Consider 1 Corinthians 9:19-22:
19Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law. 22To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. 23I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.

I have just recently joined this forum and I like the subjects I have read so far.
So, this is actually my first post except for the one where I introduced myself.

I have two tattoos. They are both very small. I have one on each arm that is above
my bicep. Luckily they can't be seen even if I wear a T shirt.

One I got in 1967 coming home on leave after my second tour of Vietnam. The other
tattoo was put on my arm in about 1980.
I say I am lucky that they can't be seen because I have wished a thousand times that
I didn't have them. It is just a personal thing for me. I thought they were really cool and
all that for a long time, but somewhere along the line I actually grew up and wished I
could wash them off somehow. I have four daughters, and three of them have small rose
tattoos on their ankles. You can barely seem them. I didn't get on them for doing that,
because they are all grown adults and can make their own decisions in life. One day
they may wish to not have them. For now, we all have to live with the tattoos we have.
We made that decision and that's that.

If you are an adult, have the money and really think it is a good idea to have one, then I
would say do it. If you are afraid of them, then that is alright too. Maybe the absolute best
thing to do would be to maybe have a little talk with Jesus and see what he might say.
Don't rush into a decision, but be patient. Remember it is something that is emblazened on
your skin for the rest of your life.
ENDTIMER :)

If I wear a tattoo that glorifies God and therefore I can also reach people in these kind of situations that have 'worldy' tattoos, then I am all for it. I cannot see that the Bible puts a case against this, and says that this is a sin to try and reach people and glorify God in this area.

Whether Tattoo's are right or wrong, I do not know, but I do know one thing, and that is if Tattoo's are wrong and sinful for everybody, then there should be no way that a Christian should be justified in getting one just because it glorifies God. Shall we glorify God with sin? As Paul says in Romans 3:8 "And not rather, (as we be slanderously reported, and as some affirm that we say,) Let us do evil, that good may come? whose damnation is just." So if a Christian believes getting a small Tattoo that glorifies God is ok, then he must also believe that getting Tattoo's in general are ok or he becomes a hypocrite and tries to make good come out of evil or sinful things which Paul speaks against.

I always find it funny that people take one law from the old testament and build a judgmental platform on it. Here's something to think about. When Paul talked to a group of christians that were looking to get circumcised he essentially told them that if your going to follow that one law like that you will have to follow them all. If your going to say this law is still in effect, call it sin, then you have to say all of them are. That includes the laws the jewish nation had on food and cleanliness. They are quite extensive. Why? Because he who wrote one wrote the other.

Now some of you keep saying that a tattoo glorifying God is still sin. But an act that glorifies God cannot in itself be sin. The two cannot coincide. It is either sin and doesn't glorify God, or it isn't and does glorify him. make up your minds.

I have a tattoo, I've said that before, i got it after i became a christian and it has a deep spiritual meaning to me. And to anyone who sees it. I've had countless opportunities to tell people about Jesus because of it. Even complete strangers.

This is not an issue you can post about and get a good biblical answer. This is an issue that every individual has to study to show themselves approved with, or to say work out their own faith with fear and trembling. Asking someone what they believe and adopting the majority answer doesn't make it right or even your belief. My suggestion is study the word, pray, look at the issue from multiple viewpoints. and then decide.

To clarify i don't think getting random tattoos is wise or ok even per say. Looks cool is just not a good reason for the ink. I prayed over mine for over 10 years. And no matter how many time people judge me based off it, and it's happened a lot, i don't regret the decision. However i would go as far as to say that even if you've spent the time and have a good reason for wanting one, that it isn't wise to get. The comments you see in this thread, and the numerous previous ones are reason enough. The judgment you'll get poured on you from the pew sitting christians on Sunday morning is just not worth it. Unless your coming a standpoint where it gives you strength.

I wake up every day and my tattoo reminds me i belong to God. It reminds me the work of my hands are his. It reminds me that I cannot run and I must push forward and run the race in such a way as to win the prize, casting off everything that hinders God's goals. I have major medical issues now days and my memory has been effected a great deal, it has helped me focus on these things that matter most. God.

Now some of you keep saying that a tattoo glorifying God is still sin. But an act that glorifies God cannot in itself be sin. The two cannot coincide. It is either sin and doesn't glorify God, or it isn't and does glorify him. make up your minds.

I suppose its not a sin to lie, if we glorify God by the lie? Thats what I understand from your reply. If getting a Tattoo is indeed sinful, it is sinful whether you get any random tattoo or a tattoo that glorfies God because getting the Tattoo would be sinful in the first place, just like the lie would be. I cannot say if getting a Tattoo is sinful or not however, but I am defending my point that if something is sinful or wrong in the first place, you cannot do that in attempt to glorify God.

JohnEboy1983 said:

I suppose its not a sin to lie, if we glorify God by the lie? Thats what I understand from your reply. If getting a Tattoo is indeed sinful, it is sinful whether you get any random tattoo or a tattoo that glorfies God because getting the Tattoo would be sinful in the first place, just like the lie would be. I cannot say if getting a Tattoo is sinful or not however, but I am defending my point that if something is sinful or wrong in the first place, you cannot do that in attempt to glorify God.

No you misunderstand. your statement is a contradiction. A lie cannot glorify god. If your saying tattoo is a sin, then no matter its context, it's still a sin. For me, when contradiction in someone's statement occurs, I have a hard time listening to the argument.

But that's not what you should taken from my post. What you should have taken from it is each one should study to show themselves approved, working out there own beliefs with fear and trembling (to paraphrase some verses). To say it's a sin and not really know why its a sin is illogical. Quoting a verse from the old laws is fine and all, but that's not really working out why you believe that. Why would you take that one verse as law and discount the other laws such as the foods Jewish people couldn't eat for instance? There is more to this then one scripture. Knowing why you believe something gives you ownership of that and allows you to make decisions based on your faith. My only real point is this is something people should study and decide for themselves, with prayerful heart.

I'd also add this topic has been argued to death on these boards.

I have tattoos that I greatly regret, and they're not even "bad" tattoos. I used to work in a tattoo parlour, and I gave people tattoos for over 3 years. Sometimes when I see them I am reminded of who I used to be, and what God has brought me through by His good Grace. But I am awfully bothered sometimes that I can't wear knee length skirts because of a particularly large tattoo on my calf. It would be like wearing a nice pretty dress with a mess of matty, tangled, dirty hair, y'know? Stupid move on my part, and at the time I thought it was cool, and for the circle of people I was in it was...but we don't think "hey, I might not want to be with these people forever...one day I might want to get up and better myself." :shame

Caroline H:

Hi. From your vantage point of someone who has what sound like tasteful tattoos and who has also presumably given countless other people the opportunity to have skin art of their own, do you think that to have or to want faith related designs can be a legitimate wish?

Just wondered what you think, given your special knowledge and experience.

I keep on talking to my parents about tattoos. They said that they won't support me getting one once I turn 18, but they said that once they do not pay any of my bills I can get one. The reason I am starting this post it because I'm wanting everyone's opinions on wether they are alright or wrong. I'm leaning torwards them being okay. But, then I read this verse in the Old Testament. It is, " 'Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD." -Leveticus 19:28. Some people that i ahve talked to say that it is alright because this was in the Old Testament. But just because it is in the Old Testament doesn't mean that it is void, and that it isn't valid. If i did get a tattoo it would be something biblical and something personal, not somthing spur of the moment that doesn't mean anything to me.
So what is yall's stance on this subject??

~Daynayee(:

God doesn`t change. If He didn`t like tatoos in the OT, why would He like them now?

I keep on talking to my parents about tattoos. They said that they won't support me getting one once I turn 18, but they said that once they do not pay any of my bills I can get one. The reason I am starting this post it because I'm wanting everyone's opinions on wether they are alright or wrong. I'm leaning torwards them being okay. But, then I read this verse in the Old Testament. It is, " 'Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD." -Leveticus 19:28. Some people that i ahve talked to say that it is alright because this was in the Old Testament. But just because it is in the Old Testament doesn't mean that it is void, and that it isn't valid. If i did get a tattoo it would be something biblical and something personal, not somthing spur of the moment that doesn't mean anything to me.
So what is yall's stance on this subject??

~Daynayee(:
with this type of thing is it more a need to conform as everyone else has one or is it something you as a person is always drawn to before it got trendy. If all your friends have one hold off a bit maybe. Biblicaly if you are going to obey Leviticus maybe circumcision and living under the law might be a consideration too.

I would get one but only if it was religious and led into conversation about god.
let your concience be your guide pray and listen the right answer will come.

God doesn`t change. If He didn`t like tatoos in the OT, why would He like them now?
The only thing the bible says about Tattoos is that we should not cut our flesh for the Dead. Meaning we shouldn't mark our bodies in idol worship or practice pagan rituals where you cut your skin and scar it purposefully for ritual reasons.

tattoos for Christian reasons I see as no different then wearing a cross other then wanting to claim your position of faith in a permanent binding way.

Now if you want to get a non religiously motivated tattoo, I think that goes more along side modesty then that Leviticus passage.

To answer Farouk's question, yes I think it is fine for a Christian to get a "Christian" tattoo if that's what you want to do, and the Lord has given you peace about it. I personally would advise anyone I know against it first though, just because it is permanent.

Leviticus has nothing to do with tattoos... It is solely about a cultural practice that was used in idol worship, and the Israelites were to be absolutely different in their worship of YHWH than the surrounding nations. People like to bring up that one statement in opposition to tattoos, but if you actually read the whole book you get a clearer picture of what God is saying to them, and why he is saying it.

I think it's obvious that a Christian shouldn't get a nude woman tattooed on his body, the question was about getting a Christian based tattoo.

To answer Farouk's question, yes I think it is fine for a Christian to get a "Christian" tattoo if that's what you want to do, and the Lord has given you peace about it. I personally would advise anyone I know against it first though, just because it is permanent.

Leviticus has nothing to do with tattoos... It is solely about a cultural practice that was used in idol worship, and the Israelites were to be absolutely different in their worship of YHWH than the surrounding nations. People like to bring up that one statement in opposition to tattoos, but if you actually read the whole book you get a clearer picture of what God is saying to them, and why he is saying it.

Caroline:

Thanks for your comments. Appreciated.

Anyway, everyone is different, and we all have individual attitudes and motives for whatever work we do, and whether we enjoy it, etc.

But, if getting faith based tattoo designs is a way to express one's beliefs in a tasteful way, then I'm wondering whether it would be great if there were more Christian artists in tattoo parlors, or whether there were parlors that were Christian owned? (Shrug?)

I mean, some Christians that otherwise may appreciate fine designs are still a bit shy going into some of the more 'in your face anti-religious' parlor atmospheres (if I'm using the right words, but what do I know?) Like, they would really like to find out more about getting a faith related design, but feel less than comfortable in some parlors.

PS: re the nude comment from jasoncran, it's not a bad question but it's simple really: if a guy is converted and already happens to have a nude tattooed on him, he can just go to a tattooist and ask him or her to tattoo a bikini tastefully onto the figure. This can be done without costing too much, I reckon.

Or if he is really convinced that ppl will still be too 'shocked' even by a bikini, then the tattooist can ink in a one-piece suit, or something. (But I'm not sure that many ppl are 'shocked' by a bikini these days.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I was a bit longwinded.

But so to summarize my question:

Would it be good if there were more Christian artists in tattoo parlors, or if there were more parlors that were Christian owned?

:chin

Back