Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

The Diety of Christ/Jesus is God: An Approach for Skeptics

No one is denying the Christ is the only begotten Son of God.

You can deny the Trinity again and again, but what you are left with everytime is paganism. God does not give birth to super-human or divine beings and then command us to worship them.

To deny the Incarnation is to deny our salvation. God does not send us an angel to die for us, he does not send a demi-god, a divinized creature, but He sends His very Self. The Passion is an act of divine sympathy, God suffering with us in order to redeem us. Jesus was named Emmanuel- "God with us".

Nadaab,

Again, why is Jesus the Bridegroom of Israel? The Bible testifies that the Bridegroom of Israel is God!

To wed Israel to anything other than God is to give Israel up in marriage (where the two become one flesh) to something less than God. Such a teaching is a grave apostasy that strikes against the heart of the Israelite faith and is clearly a pagan corruption. Our critics would be proven correct.

What is the original Greek word for "deity" ? If you take it from Romans 1:20, and in which the King James Bible says "Godhead", it is thei·o´tes, in which other Bibles read "divine nature" (New English Bible, International Standard Version, Weymouth's New Testament, Williams New Testament), "divinity" (American Standard Version, Young's Bible, Montgomery New Testament), "Godship" (New World Translation). According to Liddell and Scott’s Greek-English Lexicon, the Greek word thei·o´tes means “divine nature, divinity.†(P. 788) So there is a basis for rendering thei·o´tes as referring to the quality of being a god, not the person of God, and this is supported by the context.

Don't be rediculous, you know that other gods do not exist, only our God. In the Prophets God makes it clear that other "gods" are what were called "nothings", idols make with human hands. If you concede that Jesus was another lesser "god" then you are a Gnostic. Perhaps then you should take up their reading material. They have an elaborate theology of the "created Jesus".

Was John 1:18 taken out of context, as you said ? No, it was not, for again the apostle John could not have said that "no one has seen God at any time" and yet not be lying, since thousands had seen Jesus during his ministry. This statement by John had nothing to do with God's glory, but rather a straightforward statement that simply said: "no one has seen God at any time". If you had seen someone named Joe recently or even a long time ago and then I asked if you had seen him, if you told me no, would not that be a lie ? If before a grand jury, this would have been perjury. Hence, John told the truth, for indeed "at no time has anyone beheld God".(1 John 4:12)

At John 14:9 Jesus said: "He that has seen me has seen the Father also". You then said that "According to your logic that puts both the Son and the Father out of business of being God". Does it ? The Father has always been God, but the Son is indeed his "master worker",(Prov 8:30) the one through whom God used to make all the universe and life in it.

Wait a second, that wasn't an answer. You never showed me how what Jesus said fits with what John said. I did however. You say that it would make John to be a liar if we didn't accept his words (and I agree), and yet I also say that you would make Jesus a liar if we don't accept his words as true also. If we have seen Jesus we have seen the Father. I would like an explanation from you on how you think they can both be true, because the Father is certainly God, thus we have seen God in some sense that Jesus was talking about. Can you explain?

He is God's "only-begotten Son" (John 3:16) The word "only-begotten" comes from the Greek word mo·no·ge·nes´, and literally means "the only one" and is defined by lexicographers as “single of its kind, only,†or “the only member of a kin or kind.†(Thayer’s Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament, 1889, p. 417; Liddell and Scott’s Greek-English Lexicon, Oxford, 1968, p. 1144) The term is used in describing the relation of both sons and daughters to their parents. Thus the apostle John wrote of Jesus in his prehuman existence: "By this the love of God was made manifest in our case, because God sent forth his only-begotten Son (or was the "only one" directly created by God) into the world that we might gain life through him. The love is in this respect, not that we have loved God, but that he loved us and sent forth his Son as a propitiatory sacrifice for our sins."(1 John 4:9,10) The Greek Septuagint uses mo·no·ge·nes´ when speaking of Jephthah’s daughter, concerning whom it is written: “Now she was absolutely the only (mo·no·ge·nes´ ) child. Besides her he had neither son nor daughter.â€Â(Jg 11:34) Hence, Jesus is God's "only child" directly created by him.

Let's not forget your own point about how context determines the use of a word, the overall testimony of the Word. Word forensics do not always yeild the meaning or usage of a word. I tried to explore the usage of the word "begotten" and you have yet to answer my points on that directly. I showed how it was used in conjunction with Jesus' ressurection, exaltation, inaguration as priest, etc. If you really want to convince me then please address the way in which I applied my Scriptures in my first two posts, and if it is wrong perhaps you can show me the proper interpretation. I also gave 3 examples in the Gospels where Jesus is called God, which are important to tackle.

Jesus was not God incarnate, for this would not balance the scales of justice. The apostle Paul wrote that "It is even so written: “The first man Adam became a living soul.†The last Adam became a life-giving spirit."(1 Cor 15:45) Jesus had to become the second or "last Adam", fully becoming flesh and blood, unlike angels that materialized in Noah's day before the flood.

If you want to be technical the Young's Litteral Translation shows it best:

"44it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body; there is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body;

45so also it hath been written, `The first man Adam became a living creature,' the last Adam [is] for a life-giving spirit,

46but that which is spiritual [is] not first, but that which [was] natural, afterwards that which [is] spiritual
." (1 Corinthians 15:44-46)

The second usage (insertion) of 'being' ("became" - better here: 'is') was used for clarity in English only and is not present in the original Greek (and I double checked this with my concordance), only the quote of Adam has the word for "became". Paul's point is not to prove Jesus became a spirit but in context he is talking about how we begin as a living soul (parallel to the 'natural body' in vs. 44) and we will be raised a spiritual body, as Christ is a life-giving spirit. Thus Christ is the example of what we shall become.

Too, placing a colon at Titus 2:13 is called tampering, and is not to be indulged in, for that is how many Scriptures have been altered, with just a slip of pen, such as 1 Timothy 3:16, whereby "he who" was altered by an overzealous trinitarian to the abbreviation for "God".

Now wait a minute. I'm not a Greek scholar so I cannot exactly justify my "indulgence" of a comma, but Greek has NO puctuation at all, thus ANY punctuation or even syntax that we present in English would have be thrown out. Yet clearly we cannot do this for sheer confusion and difficulty of reading. Yet Greek scholars are able to provide us with basic puctuation to denote the extents & beginnings/endings of thoughts that can be determined from the form of the Greek. Thus punctuation is not all together uncalled for nor unapplicable. Can you defend a division of thought (therefore calling for a particular punctuation or syntax) in that Greek verse that does not support Jesus as being God?

~Josh

I don't have much to add that hasn't been said already or I haven't said myself, so I will just repeat something simple, yet profound:

To deny the Incarnation is to deny our salvation. God does not send us an angel to die for us, he does not send a demi-god, a divinized creature, but He sends His very Self. The Passion is an act of divine sympathy, God suffering with us in order to redeem us. Jesus was named Emmanuel- "God with us".

And I have an answer to that which was asked earlier in this thread.

The question what one in reference to scripture that has God calling Christ God.

Firstly, we have been told that there are gods MANY. But the indication is that these 'other gods' are ONLY gods by being 'worshiped', (thought of by man AS gods), AS gods.

Second, we, (mankind), have been told that WE TOO are gods. Scripture bears this out. Whether this is in reference to being 'created' in the 'image' of God or 'some other reason', the scriptures bear witness of US being called gods as well.

But we have also been offered that there is ONE God ABOVE all others. That THIS IS the Creator of EVERYTHING PERIOD. Many say that scriptures stating Christ as being creator of 'all things' makes HIM God Himself. Perhaps the misunderstanding lies in EVERYTHING being created BY the Creator, being a 'part' of God Himself, makes EVERYTHING God, (in this respect).

Thirdly, we have been TOLD that Satan is a god as well. For the scriptures plainly bear witness that Satan IS god of this WORLD. Once again, we have yet 'another god'.

My point is THIS: Obviously there is reference throughout the Bible to god or God that has a 'different MEANING' than that attributed SPECIFICALLY to Christ. For I have offered evidence here that there ARE GODS MANY. And this offered through sacred scripture ITSELF. Offered by words of God Himself through the prophets, through Christ His Son, and through the apostles that were sent to 'spread the Word'.

And, as pertains to The Word, perhaps this scripture is able to spread a bit of 'light' on the subject:

II Corinthians 4:6 For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

Go back and read the first chapter of John. Instead of ASSUMING that the The Word is Christ, read it as it IS WRITTEN. That the Word IS God=God's Word. And it becomes apparent that the name subscribed to Christ in this writting is LIGHT, NOT The Word. For the Word IS the Word of God. Not anything BUT. And in the beginning of John is in reference to the BEGINNING of God's relationship with mankind. It is NOT a 'beginning of Christ' until the WORD was made flesh and dwelt among us. Read it. It's perfectly clear so long as one is able to IGNORE their 'pre-concieved NOTIONS' of what is being stated in the first chapter of John.

When there is statement that men perceived NOT the light and chose to live in darkness instead, this was NOT a reference to man's state AFTER Christ became manifest in the flesh; this was BEFORE. And note that in John's writting the 'light' was NOT capitallized UNTIL in reference to the manifestation of Christ IN THE FLESH.

Christ would easily be referenced to 'a god'. We have seen though, that there are GODS MANY, yet ONLY ONE TRUE GOD. And Christ offered the words Himself, 'your God and MY God', a pure understanding that Christ Himself recognized the difference between Himself and God, His Father. NO, not a difference in Father and Son, but a difference in GOD and Himself.

MEC

But we have also been offered that there is ONE God ABOVE all others. That THIS IS the Creator of EVERYTHING PERIOD.

Imagican,

Another heresy.

There is no doubt that there was a time when the Israelites believed that God was the High God amongs many lesser gods. This is partially reflected in the Scriptures. Yet Israel came to the awareness that this was only a faint percpetion of the reality of God. Revelation is a gradual process and thus, by the time of Isaiah, God has revealed:

“Thus says the LORD, the King of Israel and his Redeemer, the LORD of hosts: "I am the first and I am the last; besides me there is no god. †(Is 44:6)

All Jews from the time of Isaiah, and certainly now all Christians, are strict monotheists. We believe there is only one God and no other.

What we are seeing is truly the poverty of private interpretation of the Holy Scriptures. Having abandonded the Traditions of Christianity which point us to how the Scriptures were and are to be interpreted, their context, their intent, and what the Fathers of the Faith have taught us regarding them, you use the Scriptures to construct something that is, frankly, largely alien to both Judaism and Christianity and violates some of our most basic assumptions regarding the faith.

Cybershark5886,
Other "gods" do exist, for have you not read the accounts in the Hebrew Scriptures, commonly called the New Testament, whereby the nation of Israel was commanded by God: "You must not walk after other gods, any gods of the peoples who are all around you, for Jehovah your God in your midst is a God exacting exclusive devotion," at Deuteronomy 6:14, or of Joshua, who told the Israelites just before he died, at Joshua 24:15, that "if it is bad in your eyes to serve Jehovah, choose for yourselves today whom you will serve, whether the gods that your forefathers who were on the other side of the River served or the gods of the Am´or·ites in whose land you are dwelling."

Or have you not read what the apostle Paul wrote, at 1 Corinthians 8:5,6, saying: "For even though there are those who are called “gods,†whether in heaven or on earth, just as there are many “gods†and many “lords,†there is actually to us one God the Father, out of whom all things are, and we for him; and there is one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things are, and we through him." Thus, "gods" can be anything that people worship or give homage to, animate or inanimate. Hence, Jesus is a "god". In addition, the apostle Paul provides a clear distinction between "God the Father" and our "Lord, Jesus Christ". Paul had just said that "we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is no God but one."(verse 4) Hence, Paul identifies that there is but ' one God' , not a trinity of gods as a Godhead.

You said that "Jesus in his flesh subjected himself to the Father, and the Father gave him the Spirit without measure, but Jesus did nothing of his own accord in order that he might glorify the Father in his flesh (it was part of His duty on earth - not to flaunt his rightful authority - which he set aside to become poor that we might be rich), but it is clear that Jesus, on account of that, would be glorified also to His former position before the world began. And even then Christ was in God and God in Christ."

Is this reasonable ? No. Neither before his arrival on the earth, nor while on the earth, nor after his return to the heavens, has he ever been God. That is why the apostle Paul said that, almost twenty years after Jesus resurrection, that the "head of the Christ is God".(1 Cor 11:3) When Satan came before Jesus, following his 40 days in the wilderness, he said to him: "If you are a son of God, tell these stones to become loaves of bread." Jesus replied, quoting from Deuteronomy 8:3: "It is written: "Man must live, not on bread alone, but on every utterance coming forth through Jehovah's mouth."(Matt 4:3,4) Then Satan again says to Jesus: "If you are a son of God, hurl yourself down; for it is written: "He will give his angels a charge concerning you, and they will carry you on their hands, that you may at no time strike your foot against a stone". Jesus replied again, in quoting from Deuteronomy 6:16: "Again it is written, "You must not put Jehovah your God to test."(verse 6,7)

Then Satan says to only do one act of worship to receive all the kingdoms of the earth. Jesus now says, evidently quoting from Deuteronomy 6:13: "Go away Satan, For it is written, It is Jehovah your God you must worship, and it is to him alone you must render sacred service." Why would Jesus tell Satan, to worship "Jehovah your God", if in fact he was God ? Why would Satan call Jesus "a son of God" if indeed he was God, even before coming to the earth ? According to Hebrews 2:17, the apostle Paul says that Jesus, following his return to heaven, "was obliged to become like his "brothers" in all respects, that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God." How could Jesus be God and yet have "brothers", those who are "Abraham's seed", ones chosen from among mankind to serve as kings and priests with Jesus in the "kingdom of God" ? He couldn't. How could Jesus, following his resurrection, become a "high priest in things pertaining to God" if he were God ? He couldn't.

Other rebellious angels besides Satan, when having met up with Jesus, cried out: "What have we to do with you, Son of God ?"(Matt 8:29) If these knew Jesus to be God, why then call him "Son of God"? Since before their defection, these were intimate with Jesus in heaven, and if he was God, then, why now call him "Son of God" rather than God ? When Satan came before God at the time of Job's test, he, in speaking to God, said: "Is it for nothing that Job has feared God ? "(Job 1:9) If Jesus were God, then why not call him as such, as he did in Job's time, instead of " a son of God" ? Too, if Jesus were God, would Satan have tempted him, for James wrote that "with evil things God cannot be tried" ? (James 1:13) Hence, Satan tried to tempt Jesus as "a son of God".

Why would Jesus cry out: "E´li, E´li, la´ma sa·bach·tha´ni?†that is, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?†just before his death, if he were God ?(Matt 27:46) The Roman centurion, immediately following Jesus death and the temple curtain being torn in two, said of him: "This was certainly a Son of God"(Matt 27:54, Emphatic Diaglott, interlinear rendering reads: "Truly of God a son was this". At Mark 15:39, the interlinear reading is "Truly the man this a son was of a god") Even he recognized, that which you may never grasp, though a pagan, that Jesus was "a son of God".

The apostle Paul, in writing to the Corinthians, said: " Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ".(2 Cor 1:3) He again wrote to the Ephesians: "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ".(Eph 1:3) And to the Colossians, he said: "We thank God the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ".(Col 1:3) Paul wrote all these Scriptures long after Jesus return to heaven. Can Paul say that God was Jesus Father and it not be so ? Am I to just cast these Scriptures aside and say that Jesus is God, at any time ? Does not "Son of God" mean just that, "a son of God", that Jesus was the "firstborn of all creation", the first son God produced or generated ?(Col 1:15) I can say yes, without reservation. Even an elementary student can recognize this, for did you never read that ' out of the mouth of babes comes forth praise '.(Matt 21:16; Ps 8:2)

At Luke 5:21, the religious leaders wrongfully reasoned in their hearts: "Who can forgive sins except God alone ?" That is why Jesus told them: "But in order for you to know that the Son of man has authority on the earth to forgive sins...I say to (the paralyzed man), Get up and pick up your little bed and be on your way home."(verse24) Have you not read where Jesus, in speaking to the Jews, told them that " just as the Father has life in himself, so he has granted also to the Son to have life in himself. And he has given him authority to do judging, because Son of man he is."(John 5:26,27) God "granted" Jesus this "authority" to forgive sins. And did not Jesus also say that "the Father judges no one at all, but he has committed all the judging to the Son" ?(John 5:22)

Immediately following Jesus baptism, a voice from the heavens said: "This is my Son, the beloved, whom I have approved".(Matt 3:17) This voice of approval by God was again spoken during Jesus transfiguration.(Matt 17:5) Am I to believe that before he came to the earth that Jesus was God, upon his arrival was not and had to receive his Father's approval,and then upon his return to heaven was God again ? This can be called "wicked reasonings".(Matt 15:19) How can Jesus be God after his resurrection and yet "hands over the kingdom to his God and Father" following his 1000 year reign?(1 Cor 15:24) How can the "Son...subject himself to the One (God his Father) who subjected all things to him" and yet be God ?(1 Cor 15:28) He couldn't. Rather, he is indeed, the "Christ, the Son of the living God."(Matt 16:16)

You had said: "Christ in the flesh is a mystery, as is the Holy Spirit overshadowing Mary, God and human together".

There is no mystery concerning Jesus Christ, for those who recognize that he is not God incarnate, but rather God's "only-begotten Son". The Greek word mo·no·ge·nes´, means "only-begotten" and Jesus spoke of himself as such, being the "only child" directly created by God his Father. Jesus is also called "the only-begotten god [Greek, mo·no·ge·nes´ the·os´]†at John 1:18 according to some of the oldest and best manuscripts. The angels are spoken of as "sons of God",(Gen 6:2; Job 1:6) but only Jesus is spoken of as the "only-begotten Son of God".(John 3:18) He is the only one of his kind, the only one whom God himself created directly without the agency or cooperation of any creature.

At Psalms 2:7, Jesus, is the "son" whom God, Jehovah, had become his "father" or "begotten", installing him as "king" in 1914, in order to "break (the nations) with an iron scepter"(Ps 2:9) at the battle of Armageddon.(Rev 16:16) And as you quoted from the NASB at Hebrews 1:5,6, that Jesus was "begotten" and is the "firstborn" or "firstbegotten"(King James Bible) of God. This is in harmony with Revelation 3:14, whereby Jesus calls himself, "the beginning of the creation by God".(King James Bible) Too, at Hebrews 1:8,9, did not the apostle Paul, in quoting from Psalms 45, say that because Jesus loved righteousness, "that is why God, your God, anointed you with [the] oil of exultation more than your partners.†How could you use Hebrews 1:5,6 in defense of the Trinity and yet Paul say that God anointed Jesus after his resurrection, calling God, "your God" or Jesus God ? Thus, Jesus has a God, just as we have a God, Jehovah. Even the name Jesus means "Jehovah Is Salvation", for it is Hebrew for Ye·shu´a‛ or Yehoh·shu´a‛.

What has been presented is sufficient for anyone who is reasonable and let's the Bible provide who Jesus and God are, not the churches or creeds, such as the Athanasian Creed that was formulated a few hundred years afterthe death of Jesus, and defined the Trinity this way: “The Father is God: the Son is God: and the Holy Ghost is God. And yet they are not three Gods: but one God.â€Â

Nadab,

I'm afraid that our responses would go in circles about whether or not Jesus could be "a god", but I would like you to answer the specific Scripture applications I used in my OP (which I have been mostly unsucessful in getting you to do yet, although we have talked about a few, such as the Granville Sharp rule).

If it helps I can summarize them but you'll have to go back yourself to read the context so that we save ourselves volumes of posts on misunderstandings that could have been resolved by reading the OP in the first place:

*That being said, please quote me directly from the OP so I know what points you are addressing, please don't use this summary much*

Essentially it is what I already summarized before I explained it in-depth:

The first is located in two places, two occasions of similar incident, in which the Jews saw Jesus was making himself equal to God in John 5:18 and John 10:33. The second is when Thomas calls Jesus God.

And then at one point for John 5:18 I said:

This is not a statement saying, "The Jews thought he was making himself equal with God" but that rather "He was making himself equal with God". This point will also be important in evaluating #7 in that the equation of calling God his Father implies not created subordination but rather eternal equality, thus showing the common conception of the Jesus's Sonship to His Father as being disunified in nature as God is indeed false.

And for John 10:33 I showed how he did not deny the Jew's claim (and infact his answer reinforced it):

Jesus averted direct assertions, accusations, or questions more than once such as with his reply to the people with the issue in the stoning of the adulteress, and when the man approached Jesus and called him 'good' without evaluating what he really was confessing of Jesus (thus he countered 'Why callest me thou good? Only one is good' - not a denial that he really was good, but a forcing of reevaluation of what the man said),

Thus we see his response as forcing revaluation, but not a denial that he was God.

And then one of my most important points I made was:

The Jews also were correct in their interpretation of the implications of Jesus forgiving a man's sin, "Who is this man who speaks blasphemies? Who can forgive sins, but God alone?" (Luke 5:21), and indeed we shall see it consistantly throughout this topic that Jesus would be the chiefest of blasphemies on all counts if he were not God with the level of worship, praise, and dedication given to Christ in the Scriptures and which we presently give him, and which he will ultimately be given in Glory. He would be the chiefest of counterfits in Glory of God who said, "I will not give my Glory to another" who by being the summation of all things (Ephesians 1:10-11) would be the biggest idol and detraction from God of all. And most importantly we shall also see that we do not have a transparent Jesus can can be used and seen only as a means to the Father, when infact our Chief pursuit in life (as it was Paul's) should indeed be knowledge of Jesus, in his person, not just what he has done for us.

I realized that you answered in part the forgiveness of sins part in your last post, but I merely used that as launch pad for larger things here, the entirety of Jesus' person and glory - and I would like you to answer espcially the parts I underlined.

I'm sure you can read the rest of my points in the OP and the following post which finished my thoughts on all that. But I want to see my specific Scripture applications answered please, then we can return back to our more speculative points once we have a foundation worked out. However, if we cannot agree on a foundation then we have no right to move on to more speculative things.

God Bless,

~Josh

*Note to all*

I'll try to add to the # list soon so I can address the nature of the subordinate role of Jesus in the Trinity, while being wholely equul to the Father as God. I've just been busy recently.

hi, cybershark.

i wanted to offer my non-christian perspective, and it may ultimately be futile, but at the same time in may spark interesting discussion, which is what i am hoping. i just wanted to take a little time and respond to some of your points. i'll try to be as clear and concise as i can.

Now the instances where the Jews saw Jesus was making himself as God will bear some looking at. In the context of John 5:18 Jesus has been giving authoritative statements on the Sabbath and doing works on the Sabbath with authority and justifying it by saying that He must be about his Father's business since His "Father has been working until now" (vs. 17). Then the Gospel of John makes a phenomenal interpretation and explanation for those who the implications of Jesus actions might be lost on, and indeed the Jews understood the Biblical implications of what Jesus did and said and displayed himself to be than most of us do today, by then saying as a matter of fact, "He not only was breaking the Sabbath, but also was calling God His own Father, making Himself equal with God". This is not a statement saying, "The Jews thought he was making himself equal with God" but that rather "He was making himself equal with God". This point will also be important in evaluating #7 in that the equation of calling God his Father implies not created subordination but rather eternal equality, thus showing the common conception of the Jesus's Sonship to His Father as being disunified in nature as God is indeed false.

beforehand i want to be upfront and state that i will use the gospel of john in relative isolation, utilizing only what the original readers of the gospel would have been historically knowledgable about, including whatever biblical or non-biblical texts or concepts that the author of john utilized or might have utilized. at the time this gospel was written, the dogmatic concepts that form the doctrine of the trinity had not yet existed, and so they will not be read into his gospel. i will take john for what john says, and i do not believe that the author of john held a trinitarian view of jesus, i.e. that jesus was one objective god with the father and the holy spirit. that is nowhere to be found in his writings (or any writing of the bible) and must necessarily be read back into john's gospel. no doubt john can be interpreted as consistent with the trinity, but that's different from the johannine author actually teaching it or expressing the belief in it through his writings. i believe john viewed jesus as a divine entity, but, again, this understanding was not trinitarian. that would be anachronism to think so.

now, it looks like you could interpret jn v.18 in that way, but there are other ways it could be understood, which i believe is more consistent with what the author had in mind before the deity of jesus was elaborated upon over the centuries, culminating in the trinity concept. indeed, the verse is a narrative statement made by the author, and therefore reflects the author's beliefs rather than being an accusation only of the jews: that jesus: a) broke the sabbath and: b) claimed equality with god. but i think the following verses explain the meaning of these words, beginning with vs.19 (NASB):

Therefore Jesus answered and was saying to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself, unless it is something He sees the Father doing; for whatever the Father does, these things the Son also does in like manner.

there is apparently an air of subordinationism here, but the author is not recording jesus as contradicting the narrative statement in the previous verse. jesus here is indirectly describing his dependency and subordination to the father, while at the same time, and almost paradoxically, directly establishing his equality. in the next 20 vv. or so, jesus relates his subordination, basically saying that he does not operate independently or on his own authority or power. everything he states he does, will do, or says is contingent upon the father's guidance, directives, and power. but while stating he can do nothing apart from the father, he is justifying his claim to unique sonship ('his own father'). the equality is found in the fact that since the father has given jesus everything that jesus has, he can execute it with the father's authority. this makes sense of his statement later towards the end of the discourse:

I have come in My Father's name, and you do not receive Me; if another comes in his own name, you will receive him.

the author is very delicate in balancing out his doctrine of the divine logos, who/which shared the nature of god according to i.1, with monotheism. he never quite places jesus on the same plane as god, and when he does, it is always slightly qualified or limited in one way or another; however, he is careful not to imply a strict inferiority, as it would defeat his purpose (which i believe is to combat docetic and cerinthian gnosticism, one which held that jesus was a phantom deity, and the other which distinguished the divine logos/christ from the man jesus, and both of which believed matter was evil). still, the choice use of the term 'logos' means that, in any case, christ is a divine intermediary (cf. jn iv.6) and was not viewed as objectively god himself in a trinity (why he is with 'ho qeos'; jn i.1-2, and why he states the father is the 'only true god'; jn xvii.3).

The second instance the Jews said with their own mouth, "For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy; and because You, being a man, make Yourself out to be God" (John 10:33). Jesus then makes a clever remark which avoids the direct assertion by showing a limited scope example where in the Book of Psalms God spoke to rulers (in specific) and called them 'gods' (elohim), and in so doing made the Jews reevaluate the basis of their assertions. Jesus averted direct assertions, accusations, or questions more than once such as with his reply to the people with the issue in the stoning of the adulteress, and when the man approached Jesus and called him 'good' without evaluating what he really was confessing of Jesus (thus he countered 'Why callest me thou good? Only one is good' - not a denial that he really was good, but a forcing of reevaluation of what the man said), etc, etc... Jesus was skilled and wise in the making of such responses that dig beneath the surface and deal with other issues that needed to be dealt with first, above the immediate direct assertions.

this episode in jn x is re-assertive of christ's deity, resembling the 5th chapter. much of what i stated above could be repeated here, though i would like to add that 'god' in this verse is anarthrous and should therefore be translated 'a god'. i think it's too much to assume that the jews would have entertained any idea that some one was claiming to be the god. they probably would have dismissed him as crazy. the sense in the accusation here seems to be that jesus was deifying himself...much like herod (ac xii.22). but jesus wasn't blasphemously deifying himself. he states that his divinity as the son of god was evident through the works he wrought through the father (vv.37-38). in quoting psalm lxxxii, he was not cleverly circumventing a blasphemy charge. he was saying that even if those corrupt men were called gods, how much more can his claims to divinity as the son of god be true, since the father 'sanctified and sent' him 'into the world'. (vs.36).

as far as the adulteress, i don't believe that that's part of the original text of john, as footnotes in many bibles will tell you, so it's really irrelevant. the statements of jesus in the snyoptics that only god was good just reflect a lower christology. jesus said what he meant. the synoptics aren't as high in their christology as john and statements like these come as no surprise in these earlier gospels. there is no indication that jesus was secretly trying to evoke some realization in the rich man that jesus was really god. that's being read into the text. the original statement, found in the markan gospel, which many scholars believe teaches an adoptionism, should be understood in its own matrix. mark (and matthew, and to a lesser extent, luke) is concerned with proving jesus is the messiah, and this becomes evident as one reads how their narratives progress, as any analysis of these gospels would reveal. to randomly insert into their gospels the revelation that jesus was god by some vague implication actually disrupts their continuity.

The Jews also were correct in their interpretation of the implications of Jesus forgiving a man's sin, "Who is this man who speaks blasphemies? Who can forgive sins, but God alone?" (Luke 5:21), and indeed we shall see it consistantly throughout this topic that Jesus would be the chiefest of blasphemies on all counts if he were not God with the level of worship, praise, and dedication given to Christ in the Scriptures and which we presently give him, and which he will ultimately be given in Glory. He would be the chiefest of counterfits in Glory of God who said, "I will not give my Glory to another" who by being the summation of all things (Ephesians 1:10-11) would be the biggest idol and detraction from God of all. And most importantly we shall also see that we do not have a transparent Jesus can can be used and seen only as a means to the Father, when infact our Chief pursuit in life (as it was Paul's) should indeed be knowledge of Jesus, in his person, not just what he has done for us.
As for this instance in the Gospel of Luke we see also that the power to forgive sin lies with God alone. When challenged he asked which was easier: to heal or to forgive sins, and they could answer neither because both were by the power of God alone. The power given to the disciples however was different in nature in that the Spirit relegated that authority by Christ upon them, through Jesus only did they have the right or ability (and the "right to become sons of God" [John 1:12]), for he gave them that ability and commisioned them for it. Their ability to forgive on earth and it be forgiven in heaven is not a justificationary forgiveness but a covering over and amending of wrongs among men, not among man and God, which Jesus alone does as our High Priest. Such a function of man's covering of sins is seen in James 5:20, "Let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins". By bringing them to Christ they are given credit for amending their past sins, on the basis of the consequent forgiveness and reconcillation of God to man, which the Apostles could not claim credit for. But they are accredited the saving of such a soul from destruction by turning them aside to the source of salvation.

the narrative portions in the gospels where jesus forgives sins have been exaggerated and foreign ideas have been read into it. the synoptic authors were hardly implying that jesus was 'god'. the reaction of the crowd works against this, especially in the matthean gospel:

But when the crowds saw this, they were awestruck, and glorified God, who had given such authority to men (mt ix.8)

this is the author's narrative statement. the point was to prove that jesus had the authority to forgive sins as a man, even though it was construed as a prerogative of god. your argument about the apostles' authority to forgive sins in the johannine gospel isn't very convincing.

thanx for reading. hope to hear your response.

~eric

Hey wavy,

Strangely enough I agreed with alot that you wrote. I'll clarify below though some points I wanted to straighten out.

beforehand i want to be upfront and state that i will use the gospel of john in relative isolation, utilizing only what the original readers of the gospel would have been historically knowledgable about, including whatever biblical or non-biblical texts or concepts that the author of john utilized or might have utilized. at the time this gospel was written, the dogmatic concepts that form the doctrine of the trinity had not yet existed, and so they will not be read into his gospel. i will take john for what john says, and i do not believe that the author john held a trinitarian view of jesus, i.e. that jesus was one objective god with the father and the holy spirit. that is nowhere to be found in his writings (or any writing of the bible) and must necessarily be read back into john's gospel. no doubt john can be interpreted as consistent with the trinity, but that's different from the johannine author actually teaching it or expressing the belief in it through his writings. i believe john viewed jesus as a divine entity, but that, again, this understanding was not trinitarian. that would be anachronism to think so.

now, it looks to me like jn v.18 you could interpret in the way that you have, but there are other ways it could be understood, which i believe is more consistent with what the author had in mind before the deity of jesus was elaborated upon over the centuries, culminating in the trinity concept.

Actually I understand what you are saying about explicit Trinitarian doctrine not being stated. In fact I was careful (because we've already had a Trinity debate - I made whole 'nother thread for that) to put in my title simply "Jesus is God" not speaking of anything beyond that. Of course once I got that established I would then have a ground to argue for the Trinity, but believing Jesus is God is (strictly/technically speaking) not the exact same as beliving in the Trinity, for even some early Gnostics believed Jesus alone was God but that the God of the OT was a wicked, evil "god", thus no Father, or even Spirit, just Jesus.

But I actually covered this already with MEC on the last page, where I said:

Respectfully I must say I expected such a statement as this, in that I knew those who do not believe Jesus is God have a funny concept of "diety" as meaning something other than God. They must think it means "spiritual being" or something like an angel, or some wierd conception of a lesser god, but to clarify exactly what I meant I made it a sure thing to put in the title "Jesus is God" because I knew someone would put a twist on their idea of the "divinity" of Christ. I mean divinity in the way it was meant to be used: as being God. Jesus is God, and I do believe if I am not mistaken that you do question that. If Jesus is God and the Father is God then there must be an equality, unless you fall off the other end and believe like some early heretics that Jesus alone is God and that the Father was some mockery god of the OT

Now you do see a bit of extrapolation there from me, based on an assumed basis that "Jesus is God" and the "Father is God", in which I state equality (which given all the assumptions could reasonably warrant me extrapolating the doctrine of the Trinity from that - even though it is not an explicit Biblical doctrine - and indeed I believe that's how the doctrine began: that Christians saw an equality and extrapolated).

there is apparently an air of subordinationism here, but the author is not recording jesus as contradicting the narrative statement in the previous verse. jesus here is indirectly describing his dependency and subordination to the father, while at the same time, and almost paradoxically, directly establishing his equality. the next 20 or so vv. relate jesus' subordination. he is basically saying that he does not operate independently or on his own authority or power. everything he states he does, will do, or says is contingent upon the father's guidance and directives and power. but while stating he can do nothing apart from the father, he is justifying his claim to unique sonship ('his own father'). the equality is found in the fact that since the father has given jesus everything that jesus has, he can execute it with the father's authority. this makes sense of his statement later towards the end of the discourse:

I have come in My Father's name, and you do not receive Me; if another comes in his own name, you will receive him.

the author is very delicate in balancing out his doctrine of the divine logos, who/which shared the nature of god according to i.1, with monotheism. he never quite places jesus on the same plane as god, and when he does, it is always slightly qualified or limited in one way or another; however, he is careful not to imply a strict inferiority, as it would defeat his purpose (which i believe is to combat docetic and cerinthian gnosticism, one which held that jesus was a phantom deity, and the other which distinguished the divine logos/christ from the man jesus, and both of which believed matter was evil). still, the choice use of the term 'logos' means that in any case, christ is a divine intermediary (cf. jn iv.6) and was not viewed as objectively god himself in a trinity (why he is with 'ho qeos'; jn i.1-2, and why he states the father is the 'only true god'; jn xvii.3).

You actually strike a fairly good balance between Jesus' equality and subordination to God, and I was hoping to cover that soon (I've just been busy). I realize that Jesus in the flesh set aside his riches and glory and heavenly authority which He had with the Father before the world began so that he was humbled by coming in the flesh and that was especially manifested in his submission to his Father. I do not deny Christs subordinate (however, like you said, not strictly inferior) role of humbleness, and that infact He did do nothing apart from the Father and the Spirit which he gave to Him "without measure". And yes He indeed was claiming unique sonship.

These things I think, by my other opponents, are seen as a case against Jesus being God, however I do not see it that way, rather I see the humbled Jesus who came in the flesh for a specific purpose, in which he came not to declare "I am God, worship me" but rather a very specific mission of salvation, setting an example of submission to the Father, and infact to serve others rather than to be served (this is also why the declined the Kingdom rightfully his at that time) which fully warrants his setting aside of his divine rights which he had with the Father before the world began. Thus he naturally might look "weaker" to some, but I see the strength and awesome wonder of God come in the flesh, which speaks to me even more of the wonder of God.

here in this episode of jn x is a re-assertion of christ's deity, resembling the 5th chapter. much of what i stated above could be repeated here, though i would like to add that 'god' in this verse is anarthrous and should therefore be translated 'a god'. i think it's too much to assume that the jews would have entertained any idea that some one was claiming to be the god. they probably would have dismissed him as crazy. the sense in the accusation here seems to be that jesus was deifying himself...much like herod (ac xii.22). but jesus wasn't blasphemously deifying himself. he states that his divinity as the son of god was evident through the works he wrought through the father (vv.37-38). in quoting psalm lxxii, he was not cleverly circumventing a blasphemy charge. he was saying that even if those corrupt men were called gods, how much more can his claims to divinity as the son of god be true, since the father 'sanctified and sent' him 'into the world'. (vs.36).

Well, here I disagree a bit, I do infact see the Jews as calling himself equal with the Father, being God himself. And of course they thought he was crazy! They had earlier accused him of being possessed by demons (of which such persons would behave in a crazed manner). The charge of blasphemy was on the basis of the Law of Moses, and thus in their short sightedness (not thinking of the other passage in Psalm which Jesus was to quote - to cause them to reevaualte [see below for my clarification on that]) they were zealous to stone him on the basis of the law, for exalting one's self as God, absurd as it may have sounded yet still blasphemy. If only those who commited blasphemy back then could have avoided death by stoning by claiming mental unstableness!!! (Which quite rediculously you can today in a court of law get away with even murder by pleading insanity). But the Jews wouldn't have cared wether he was crazy or not, if you equated yourself with God unrightfully, it was blaphemy punishable by death, no exceptions.

as far as the adulteress, i don't believe that that's part of the original text of john, as footnotes in many bibles will tell you, so it's really irrelevant. the statements of jesus in the snyoptics that only god was good just reflect a lower christology. jesus said what he meant. the synoptics aren't as high in their christology as john and statements like these come as no surprise in these earlier gospels. there is no indication that jesus was secretly trying to evoke some realization in the rich man that jesus was really god. that's being read into the text. the original statement, found in the markan gospel, which many scholars believe teaches an adoptionism, should be understood in its own matrix. mark (and matthew and to a lesser extent luke) are concerned with proving jesus is the messiah, and this becomes evident was one reads how their narratives progress, as any analysis of these gospels would reveal. to randomly insert in their gospels the revelation that jesus was god by some vague implication actually disrupts their continuity.

You misunderstand on two counts. First of all the story of the adulteress is authentic in my opinion even if not in the original. It has also been found located at the end of Luke in some older manuscipts. Even the great critics Wescott and Hort claimed that this precious story had been rescued from oblivion by oral Church tradition. Aside from that you missed my point for even mentioning it (I'll make it clear in a second). You also misunderstood why I quoted the rich man calling Jesus "good". I wasn't at all trying to read into that passage that it was saying Jesus was God, I had in mind an entirely different point. I quote both that passage and the story of the adulterous to show how Jesus averted direct questions or assertions on occasion. With the rich man he called him "good" but Jesus interrupted him and asked him a different question without answering the man's original question (at first). With the story of the adulterous Jesus skirted the issue of wether she should be stoned or not, he instead said, "He who has no sin cast the first stone", which was incredibly clever because any other answer would have played stright into the Jews hands! Thus I was establishing that Jesus did infact on occasion avert direct questions/assertions/accusations and tried to apply it to his quoting "ye are gods" (which was not directly relevant with what they were accusing him of). I'm telling you, Jesus was a clever man, and he did what he had to even avoid authorities by fleeing attempts to sieze him and even skirting around entire regions around Israel to avoid confrontations since "It was not his time". Jesus had to be versatile in the face of (often) mindless hostility.

I hope you see my original points now.

God Bless,

~Josh

cybershark5886 said:
Respectfully I must say I expected such a statement as this, in that I knew those who do not believe Jesus is God have a funny concept of "diety" as meaning something other than God. They must think it means "spiritual being" or something like an angel, or some wierd conception of a lesser god, but to clarify exactly what I meant I made it a sure thing to put in the title "Jesus is God" because I knew someone would put a twist on their idea of the "divinity" of Christ. I mean divinity in the way it was meant to be used: as being God. Jesus is God, and I do believe if I am not mistaken that you do question that. If Jesus is God and the Father is God then there must be an equality, unless you fall off the other end and believe like some early heretics that Jesus alone is God and that the Father was some mockery god of the OT

i had planned on getting to your other responses, josh, so i hadn't read this yet. nevertheless, what i highlighted above from this quote seems to be a false dilemma. you see, to state 'jesus is god' or to use 'god' objectively (like 'ho qeos' {'the god'} which is how it normally appears) is something the nt never does. 'jesus is god' is definitely a trinitarian presupposition. it makes the meaning of god definite and therefore logically contradictory to 'the father is god', which is also taken in a definite sense. both cannot be 'god' (in the sense of 'ho qeos'). 'jesus is god' is necessarily trinitarian language and will be avoided in my exegesis. it takes the later disputes of substances/essences/persons, etc. among early theologians, which are not found in the johannine gospel or elsewhere in the bible, to reconcile these two statements ('jesus is god' & 'the father is god').

that is why the author of john seems to be very careful in his high christological exordium when expressing the deity of the logos. it seems that much of the early church, by john's time, viewed the son so perfect and close to the father that john seems to interpret the son as the purity of everything god is and therefore, as the logos, able to effectively communicate god to man as an intermediary.

'qeos' in jn i.1c is of course anarthrous and john's diction seems to be purposeful so as not to mistake 'ho logos' as the identity 'ho qeos' in jn i.1b...else he could not state that 'ho logos' was 'pros ton qeon' ('toward/with the god'). in doing so, john, imo, avoids any later trinitarian language and precludes any notion that the logos and the father were one and the same god. for that to occur, you would have to understand 'god' as a 'substance/essence' as trinitarians do...something not, as stated above, found anywhere in the bible. 'god' is always used to refer to a person and is used in the most casual sense for the father in the nt. but whatever equivalence the author of john believed jesus and the father shared, there is always a subordinationism because jesus is not 'ho qeos'.

Now you do see a bit of extrapolation there from me, based on an assumed basis that "Jesus is God" and the "Father is God", in which I state equality (which given all the assumptions could reasonably warrant me extrapolating the doctrine of the Trinity from that - even though it is not an explicit Biblical doctrine - and indeed I believe that's how the doctrine began: that Christians saw an equality and extrapolated).

oh, sorry, i had already typed the above before i read this. :-D

i appreciate your honesty. and yes, according to what i know and believe about early church history, eventually the majority of christians came to see jesus as equal with god in the orthodox sense as the doctrine of the trinity developed. it took a lot of fumbling and a lot of controversy. but it is clear that early writers like justin martyr and tertullian, who even used the word 'trinity', did not view jesus as one god with the father or that the he was absolutely equal with the father in every respect. justin wrote that jesus was 'another god and lord', and was merely the 'minister to the maker of all things' in his dialogue with trypho. tertullian did not believe christ always existed.

You actually strike a fairly good balance between Jesus' equality and subordination to God, and I was hoping to cover that soon (I've just been busy). I realize that Jesus in the flesh set aside his riches and glory and heavenly authority which He had with the Father before the world began so that he was humbled by coming in the flesh and that was especially manifested in his submission to his Father. I do not deny Christs subordinate (however, like you said, not strictly inferior) role of humbleness, and that infact He did do nothing apart from the Father and the Spirit which he gave to Him "without measure". And yes He indeed was claiming unique sonship.

These things I think, by my other opponents, are seen as a case against Jesus being God, however I do not see it that way, rather I see the humbled Jesus who came in the flesh for a specific purpose, in which he came not to declare "I am God, worship me" but rather a very specific mission of salvation, setting an example of submission to the Father, and infact to serve others rather than to be served (this is also why the declined the Kingdom rightfully his at that time) which fully warrants his setting aside of his divine rights which he had with the Father before the world began. Thus he naturally might look "weaker" to some, but I see the strength and awesome wonder of God come in the flesh, which speaks to me even more of the wonder of God.

again, here i must disagree slightly. i believe the author of john believed jesus was submissive before he became flesh, since he portrays jesus as obedient to the father by coming down from heaven as the logos (jn viii.42; xii.49). still, i agree that that's the precise impression that john wants to give about the personality of the logos. he is adored for his humility.

we've already explored of implications of 'jesus is god' or 'jesus being god' above.

Well, here I disagree a bit, I do infact see the Jews as calling himself equal with the Father, being God himself. And of course they thought he was crazy! They had earlier accused him of being possessed by demons (of which such persons would behave in a crazed manner). The charge of blasphemy was on the basis of the Law of Moses, and thus in their short sightedness (not thinking of the other passage in Psalm which Jesus was to quote - to cause them to reevaualte [see below for my clarification on that]) they were zealous to stone him on the basis of the law, for exalting one's self as God, absurd as it may have sounded yet still blasphemy. If only those who commited blasphemy back then could have avoided death by stoning by claiming mental unstableness!!! (Which quite rediculously you can today in a court of law get away with even murder by pleading insanity). But the Jews wouldn't have cared wether he was crazy or not, if you equated yourself with God unrightfully, it was blaphemy punishable by death, no exceptions.

well, i think there is a difference between being 'equal with god' and being 'god himself'. if 'equal with god' meant 'god himself', then we have an unneccessary circumlocution. and again, jesus being 'god himself' is contradictory trinitarian language. there cannot be more than one 'god himself'...not without relaxing the plain use of language or suspending logical thought.

i think my point about the anarthrous 'qeos' here stands and should be rendered 'a god'. you certainly can equate yourself with god by claiming to be 'a god'.

You misunderstand on two counts. First of all the story of the adulteress is authentic in my opinion even if not in the original. It has also been found located at the end of Luke in some older manuscipts. Even the great critics Wescott and Hort claimed that this precious story had been rescued from oblivion by oral Church tradition. Aside from that you missed my point for even mentioning it (I'll make it clear in a second). You also misunderstood why I quoted the rich man calling Jesus "good". I wasn't at all trying to read into that passage that it was saying Jesus was God, I had in mind an entirely different point. I quote both that passage and the story of the adulterous to show how Jesus averted direct questions or assertions on occasion. With the rich man he called him "good" but Jesus interrupted him and asked him a different question without answering the man's original question (at first). With the story of the adulterous Jesus skirted the issue of wether she should be stoned or not, he instead said, "He who has no sin cast the first stone", which was incredibly clever because any other answer would have played stright into the Jews hands! Thus I was establishing that Jesus did infact on occasion avert direct questions/assertions/accusations and tried to apply it to his quoting "ye are gods" (which was not directly relevant with what they were accusing him of). I'm telling you, Jesus was a clever man, and he did what he had to even avoid authorities by fleeing attempts to sieze him and even skirting around entire regions around Israel to avoid confrontations since "It was not his time". Jesus had to be versatile in the face of (often) mindless hostility.

i understood your point about the dubious johannine pericope de adultera. i never stated that it was used by you to prove that jesus was god. i just stated i believe it is irrelevant and can't be proven to be authentic (then again, i believe much of the bible can't). but even so, i still don't see anything in jn x to indicate that jesus was just being clever or circumventive. he directly dealt with their charge, and insodoing was almost mobbed again (vs.39). a 'clever' response would have extricated him from the situation, but they wanted to kill him anyway...unless you suggest that his ploy didn't work and mention of it by the author would have therefore been irrelevant.

i also understood that you were making the same point about the situation with the guy who called jesus a 'good teacher'. jesus' response doesn't imply anything other than that he meant what he said. it was another aspect of his teachings...none are good except god. he just made a point as a pious jewish teacher. he wasn't being 'clever'.

thanx for reading. i'll continue with your other responses shortly.

~eric

jn xx.28

hi again, josh. jn xx.28 is most problematic for those who reject christ's deity in whatever way it might be understood, trinitarian or otherwise. i have no serious disagreements here, though i do believe the verse could be understood in a couple of ways:

1) jesus is a second god, not unlike philo's doctrine of the logos:

Why is it that he speaks as if of some other god, saying that he made man after the image of God, and not that he made him after his own image? Very appropriately and without any falsehood was this oracular sentence uttered by God, for no mortal thing could have been formed on the similitude of the supreme Father of the universe, but only after the pattern of the second deity, who is the Word of the supreme Being; since it is fitting that the rational soul of man should bear it the type of the divine Word; since in his first Word God is superior to the most rational possible nature. But he who is superior to the Word holds his rank in a better and most singular pre-eminence, and how could the creature possibly exhibit a likeness of him in himself? Nevertheless he also wished to intimate this fact, that God does rightly and correctly require vengeance, in order to the defence of virtuous and consistent men, because such bear in themselves a familiar acquaintance with his Word, of which the human mind is the similitude and form. (quaestiones et solutiones in genesim, lxii)

but this seems less likely given john's diction in the exordium. if he wanted to depict the logos as a second god, he probably would have written 'kai ho logos hn qeos' ('and the word was [a] god') instead of writing it with 'qeos' in an emphatic position, i.e. before both the subject ('ho logos') and verb ('hn'), which stresses what the logos was (not who). if you haven't read philip b. harner's 1973 article in the journal of biblical literature then i would suggest it. it's only 13 pages but it will give you a good grasp of the issue. you've probably read it already if you have full access to the jbl like i do.

this view also seems less likely because of jesus' own insistence throughout john that there was only one who was objectively god (jn v.44; xvii.3), but it does seem to me that if the original reading in jn i.18 was 'monogenhs qeos' ('only-begotten god') instead of the reading in the textus receptus, which according to my knowledge represents all the greek text-types except those of the alexandrian tradition, then the logos could be construed as sort of a 'second god', i.e. the 'only-begotten' god as opposed to another unbegotten god (father).

2) perhaps the author's viewpoint is more jewish rather than hellenistic. in the targums, as you no doubt know, the translators inserted the term memra ('word') to avoid anthropomorphic expressions of god. although the targumist view ultimately derived from hellenistic influence, it wasn't as metaphysical/mystical/abstract as in, e.g. platonic philosophy or in philo's ecclectic logos doctrines. it was just a personification. gen xxviii.20-21 in targum onkelos reads:

And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, "If the Word of the Lord will be my support, and will keep me in the way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on, so that I come again to my father's house in peace; then shall the Word of the Lord be my God

the 'word' was just representing god through personification, and although jesus wasn't a mere personfication, the representational sense could very well be the meaning of jn xx.28 (jesus being understood as perhaps an extension of the father's being and person, although distinct).

3) a combination of both that is obscure and still debatable.

granville sharp's rule

sharp's rule has been sharply disputed, even still among a few scholars today, yet i believe it stands, although i would like to make a few points here too. i noticed you used used 2thess i.12. but it's usually conceded, according to my knowledge, as unrepresentative of sharp's rule when proving the deity of jesus. daniel b. wallace comments:

Second Thessalonians 1:12 does not have merely “Lord†in the equation, but “Lord Jesus Christ.†Only by detaching kurivou from jIhsou' Cristou' could one apply Sharp’s rule to this construction

in other words, it's a proper name and deviates from sharp's guidelines. the two virtually insuperable texts are ts ii.13 and 2pet i.1. of course, i believe neither of these are authentically pauline or petrine, but whether they are or not, i believe they designate jesus as 'the god of us' in contrast to the 'imperial cult' (see wallace's comment in the article). he would be set over against the emperor-gods. he wouldn't necessarily be called a 'lesser' god than the father, but not 'god' like the father, thus it's sort of an obscure and akward polytheism or maybe it could be called henotheism. the early church didn't resolve these issues until later.

just more of my thoughts for whatever they're worth.

~eric

Wavy,

Though I will always be a Trinitarian, as I feel the impetus and inner logic of Christian Revelation naturally arrives at and finds its fullness in the Trinitarian formula, I would like to thank you for your posts regarding this topic.

They are truly first class, posted with an open spirit and well researched. I am certainly learning from them.

Devekut said:
Wavy,

Though I will always be a Trinitarian, as I feel the impetus and inner logic of Christian Revelation naturally arrives at and finds its fullness in the Trinitarian formula, I would like to thank you for your posts regarding this topic.

They are truly first class, posted with an open spirit and well researched. I am certainly learning from them.

thanx, devekut. i do consider myself only an amateur though. i want to take up biblical studies professionally here pretty soon, and although i am no longer a christian, i think jewish/christian literature is fascinating and i like to dicuss it.

kind regards,

~eric

Wavy,

Thanks for the meat of your replies. I hope to get to these soon but school is really bearing down on me right now. I typically have Fridays through Sundays as my down time to really get into things I like to do, but today I'm busy and tommorow I have classes from 9:30AM - 7:00 PM (long day!) so I'll try to get around to answering you eventually but it may take some time.

God Bless,

~Josh

cybershark5886 said:
#2 & #3 These claims misunderstand the Father/Son relationship between Jesus and God the Father, and the use of "begotten". Jesus is clearly presented to have a unique Sonship in relation to the Father, the "only begotten", unlike our common son & daughtership as hiers of Christ, as adopted children of God by the Spirit in us who cries 'abba, Father'. Our most famous passage that deals with this is when God says in Psalm 2:7, "I will surely tell of the decree of the LORD: He said to Me, 'You are My Son, Today I have begotten You." In this case in the Psalm God is declaring a King to be an anointed son to rule, and does not in any way carry a literal birthing on that day of the king, but rather an innaguration for the King. The application of this passage in the NT also uses similar meanings.

i believe that there are a few strings of conflicting traditions in the nt concerning jesus' sonship. they seem to evolve from the earlier literature to the later literature. we see that esepcially with paul and the gospels in their sequential order:
paul --->mark--->matthew/luke/acts--->john. i believe paul and mark were most likely what we would call adoptionists (psa ii.7 supports an adoptionist viewpoint and it seems to have been construed this way very early).

paul makes that clear:

concerning His Son, who was born of a descendant of David according to the flesh,

who was declared the Son of God with power by the resurrection from the dead, according to the Spirit of holiness, Jesus Christ our Lord,
(rom i.3-4)

there's a notable contrast here. on the one hand we have jesus as a son of david because of his physical pedigree, and on the other we have jesus as the son of god as a result of his resurrection and 'according to the spirit of holiness'...not at all unlike rom viii.15 & gal iv.6.

mark begins his gospel with jesus' baptism where god declares to jesus, not john the baptist or the crowd, as in the other gospels, that he was his son (mk i.11). this indicates adoptionism. there would be no need for jesus to be told that he was the 'son' by god if he already was. in matthew it's a general declarative for the crowd's sake: 'this is my son...' as opposed to 'you are my son...'

luke just copies mark's wording verbatim here, although he records the whole crowd seeing the heavens open while in mark it is only jesus who sees the heavens open. in the johannine gospel the baptismal purpose is to assure the readers that john the baptist was not the messiah (i.20) and that jesus was greater (vs.30-34). john had a large following and was held by many to be the messiah (some small cults exist today that still believe it). the author of john felt the need to counter the rival baptist cult with the jesus cult by quoting john the baptist as conceding his own depreciatory status once jesus enters the scene.

there is also a conflict here because according to matthew after john went to prison he sent his disciples to ask if jesus was the expected messiah because he obviously didn't know (mt xi.2-3), but in the johannine gospel john the baptist's testimony is used to prove that jesus is the messiah and the son of god before his imprisonment (i.31-34; iii.28). did he know (john)? or did he not know (matthew)? this is a legitimate contradiction which cannot be convincingly explained away.

anyway, mark's gospel continues to unfold jesus' messiah-/sonship until he is put to death by necessity of the divine will (mk viii.33; although mark never tells us exactly why jesus had to die) because he claimed to be the messiah/son (mk xiv.61-62). this dual appellation of 'messiah/son of god' probably reflects, imo, the earliest tradition of what it meant to be the 'son of god', i.e. the messiah. this can be traced throughout all the gospels and in the pauline letters (mt xvi.16; xxvi.23, mk i.1, lk iv.41, jn i.49; xi.27, xx.31, 2cor i.19, gal ii.20). john's overall concept of sonship is metaphysical, however, and employs sapiental/logos theology despite its use of the older messianic tradition (cf. enoch cv.2). john implies supreme divinity and equality with god when it speaks of jesus as a son, as has already been explored in previous posts.

In Acts 13:32-34 it says, "And we preach to you the good news of the promise made to the fathers, that God has fulfilled this promise to our children in that He raised up Jesus, as it is also written in the second Psalm, 'YOU ARE MY SON; TODAY I HAVE BEGOTTEN YOU.' "As for the fact that He raised Him up from the dead, no longer to return to decay, He has spoken in this way: 'I WILL GIVE YOU THE HOLY and SURE blessings OF DAVID." (NASB) Here Acts uses begotten in the sense of ressurection, in keeping with the theology of the NT that Christ was "firstborn from among the dead" (Colossians 1:18).

here in acts luke copies from another tradition not dissimilar to the pauline/markan adoptionism (although mark's is baptismal while paul's is resurrectional). this tradition may contradict lk i.35:

The angel answered and said to her, The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; and for that reason the holy Child shall be called the Son of God.

luke interprets jesus' sonship in light of the mythical virgin birth, i.e. he is literally the son of god. this is also how matthew views jesus' sonship (mt i.21-22). there's no incarnation here, only the 'holy spirit/power of god' inseminating mary and thereby bringing the son of god into existence.

The other two instances of this Psalm verse being quoted in the NT are in Hebrews. In Hebrews 1:5-6 the superiority of the Son is shown in that it says, "For to which of the angels did He ever say, "YOU ARE MY SON, TODAY I HAVE BEGOTTEN YOU"? And again, I WILL BE A FATHER TO HIM AND HE SHALL BE A SON TO ME"? And when He again brings the firstborn into the world, He says, "AND LET ALL THE ANGELS OF GOD WORSHIP HIM." (NASB) Here we also see worship ordered from the angels toward Christ, who incidentally in the OT worship no one but God alone, which to do otherwise would be rebellion and idolatry. Not to mention in verse 8 Jesus is ascribed as God, "But of the Son He says, "YOUR THRONE, O GOD, IS FOREVER AND EVER, AND THE RIGHTEOUS SCEPTER IS THE SCEPTER OF HIS KINGDOM." (NASB).

seeing psa ii.7 yet again in hebrews illustrates the flexible use of the ot by nt authors (one reason i reject ot 'prophecy' as invalid in the nt since it 'fulfills' these 'prophecies' indirectly through subjective pesher and midrash imterpretations). because of hebrews' higher christology in its exordium which is, like the gospel of john, rooted in sapiental/logos philosophy/theology, the author probably interpreted psa ii.7 as a protological act of god, i.e. before the world existed the son existed begotten from the father. this is emanist language (cf. heb i.3 with wis. sol. vii.25-26). the large part of early christian tradition seems to have found a place for jesus in this earlier jewish sapiental/logos tradition, where, e.g., sophia/chochma/wisdom proceeds from god in pre-existence (cf. prov viii; esp. vv.22-25).

the author also calls jesus the 'prwtotokon' ('first-born'), which, again, is borrowed from tradition (cf. philo de confusione linguarum cxlvi; de somniis i.215), although it could carry a messianic significance (cf. psa lxxxix.27). the messianic significance is less likely, given the immediate context of the exordium (sapiental).

this protological context is also found in col i.15, where jesus is said to be the 'prwtotokoV of all creation'. this text was used to support the arian 'heresy' that jesus was created. eternal generationism or emanation may here be assumed and it may not; but i think this text is proof that the author of colossians believed christ was in some way conceptually lesser than god, because we see he is subsumed in 'creation', or at least associated with it. orthodox apologetics usually invoke the superlative understanding of the word 'prwtotokoV' here, i.e. christ is simply over all creation because he created it (vs.16). but that changes little. christ is still the 'first-begotten/-born' because he is the first being to come out/emanate from god, and all creation, in turn, was created 'in' him (greek: 'en'). they are after him and therefore lesser. but jesus would still be considered somewhat in the creation sphere, just as being the first-born from the dead (vs.18) means he was subsumed in the dead, and just as being the 'first-born of many [christian] brothers' means he is subsumed in the brothers (rom viii.29; cf. vs.17). to speculate anything else, imo, is inconsistency.

however, god isn't the 'first-born' of anything. a 'first-born' must originate from somewhere, and god the father is unbegotten and self-maintaining (a thought that the johannine gospel preserves; cf. jn v.26; vi.57) since jesus is the 'first-born' and the 'image' of god (cf. 2cor iv.4) he necessarily cannot be god...not in the mind of the author of colossians at least. col ii.9 could be interpreted as contradictory to my assertion, but again, here would be more unnecessary periphrasis if that were true. it would be simpler to say 'jesus is god in the flesh', but i think the meaning there is that jesus holds all the divine powers of god, as the embodiment of the attributes and nature of god. this is stated in polemic against the gnostic systems which were troubling colossae. gnostics believed in numerous divine 'aeons', various emanations of god (known as the 'monad') of which jesus was one (and wasn't even the highest). they collectively were called the plhrwma ('fullness', which is used in the verse). i think what the author is saying here (having previously asserted in i.16 that any and all of these 'aeons', or whatever powers may exist, were created in, through, and ultimately for him) is that this plhrwma/fullness of divine essence which was perceived to emanate from god, of which jesus was one aspect in gnostic thought, actually dwells completely in jesus. he's not one of them. he's greater than all of them and embodies what they falsely represent as the 'image of the invisible god' (i.15).

heb i.8 is disputed among scholars. some believe it refers to a 'divine throne' since 'qeos' is in the nominative and arguably the subject of the sentence, but i don't agree with that necessarily although it could be true. nevertheless, there are two factors to consider:

1) the psalm was originally addressed to an israelite king. the king was called 'god', but without the understanding that he was god in some truly divine way (although that's not impossible to conceive; god-kings having existed in the old israelite monarchy isn't something to be ruled out; it existed in the surrounding cultures and is perhaps found here and in other places like isa ix.6).

2) even if this implied deity (which i believe it does), the thought that this deity is on par with god is immediately curtailed by the phrase 'god, your god'. jesus has a god and therefore jesus is subordinate to that god (cf. the subordination of heb v.7-8). to invoke jesus' 'humble state' or to invoke his 'flesh' as an excuse for why he is said to have a god is just reading into the text. this entire pericope is about his exaltation, not his humility. there is no evidence that the author of hebrews or any other author of the nt viewed jesus as a strict division of two 'natures', with either 'nature' being randomly spoken of at any given moment without explanation or consistency. subordination passages just reflect the view of that author...not that he's speaking about one 'half' or 'side' of jesus at one point for no given reason. jesus is jesus. christ is christ. what's said of him applies to his whole being and person.

for angels to worship christ would not be idolatry. that is being assumed. the author had no problem with angels worshipping christ, which is why he takes his references out of context (possibly from a priorly compiled catena of messianic 'proof-texts' which he copied from) to apply them to christ. this midrashical style of interpretation is common both in the nt and in extra-biblical jewish literature from that era (and beyond).

The next verse in Hebrews that deals with it is Hebrews 5:5-6 which says, "So also Christ did not glorify Himself so as to become a high priest, but He who said to Him, "YOU ARE MY SON, TODAY I HAVE BEGOTTEN YOU"; just as He says also in another passage, "YOU ARE A PRIEST FOREVER ACCORDING TO THE ORDER OF MELCHIZEDEK." (NASB). Here, the context of being begotten is an innaugeration as High Priest, the beginning of the mediatory work of Christ, similar to the innaguration seen in Psalm 2:7. Also in the in close proximity of the context of both Hebrews verses is the idea of Christ's exaltation and appointment as mediator, Hebrews 1:3: "When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high", and Hebrews 5:9-10: "And having been made perfect, He became to all those who obey Him the source of eternal salvation, being designated by God as a high priest according to the order of Melchizedek." So with the three verses (from Acts and Hebrews) combined we these as applying to events in Jesus' life, namely the following ressurection, his exalation, and appointment as mediator. He was 'begotten' from the dead, 'begotten' to glory and exaltaion, and 'begotten' as appointed mediator between man and God. And at Jesus' baptism, the reference to "only begotten Son" can also be seen as the beginning of his appointment of redemption and anointing by the Spirit, which he completed when he said "It is finished". There are occasional references to begotten used elsewhere in Scripture but they all follow this pattern.

Thus using the "begotten" verse to prove that Jesus was created is incorrect and inconsistant with both the OT and NT uses of the word.

P.S. The preexistance of Christ can also be substantiated in the many verses that speak of his place in creation, especially in John 1:1-3 which I will have to demonstrate about the Logos as speaking of Jesus in #6.

nothing to really say here except to mention col i.15, where christ is definitely associated with 'creation' as the 'first-born' of it (although he existed before 'creation'). as the first-born of creation, he is not god. god and first-born are not interchangeable.

kind regards

~eric

Hey Wavy,

Interesting posts. WOW!!

So, tell us what your interpretation or understanding is concerning the 'diety' of Christ. WAS He a 'created entity'? Was there a 'time' BEFORE Christ's existence?

And 'in what spirit' was 'trinity' conceived?

Truly interested in your answers to these.

MEC

Imagican said:
Hey Wavy,

Interesting posts. WOW!!

So, tell us what your interpretation or understanding is concerning the 'diety' of Christ. WAS He a 'created entity'? Was there a 'time' BEFORE Christ's existence?

And 'in what spirit' was 'trinity' conceived?

Truly interested in your answers to these.

MEC

thanx for the kind words, but i don't have a position on the deity of jesus. i think the authors of the nt have different views that evolved, and interpretations of jesus continued to evolve throughout history. over time the majority came to a consensus--the trinity--and this has been the position of orthodox christianity ever since. that's just the way history and religion unravels...through stages.

kind regards,

~eric

Ok,

That was 'sort of' an answer to two of the three questions. Now how about the 'third':

Was Christ a 'created entity'? Was there a 'time' BEFORE Christ. Does the 'title Son' indicate that Christ BECAME a 'part of the family of God'? Hence, Father begetting Son?

And you can rest assured that this is NOT being asked to 'trick' you or any such thing. I am simply curious as to whether I am the ONLY person on this forum that has interpreted the Bible SAYING that there was God FIRST and THEN Christ. A PURE indication if not outright STATEMENT that Christ WAS 'created' at SOME time PREVIOUS to the 'creation' of mankind.

And I DO NOT 'believe' that this would in ANY way 'take away' from the diety of Christ. It would simply be a 'denial' of what the CC created in IT's beliefs and practices concerning Christ.

MEC

Imagican said:
Ok,

That was 'sort of' an answer to two of the three questions. Now how about the 'third':

Was Christ a 'created entity'? Was there a 'time' BEFORE Christ. Does the 'title Son' indicate that Christ BECAME a 'part of the family of God'? Hence, Father begetting Son?

And you can rest assured that this is NOT being asked to 'trick' you or any such thing. I am simply curious as to whether I am the ONLY person on this forum that has interpreted the Bible SAYING that there was God FIRST and THEN Christ. A PURE indication if not outright STATEMENT that Christ WAS 'created' at SOME time PREVIOUS to the 'creation' of mankind.

And I DO NOT 'believe' that this would in ANY way 'take away' from the diety of Christ. It would simply be a 'denial' of what the CC created in IT's beliefs and practices concerning Christ.

MEC

again, i believe it depends on which writer of the nt you ask. i cannot give you answer, since i don't believe there is an answer as far as the bible goes.

kind regards,

~eric

Back