Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

The Lord Loves You

nathan:

But you would say that it doesn't mean what it says.

It does means what it says, and it does not say that God Loved everyone in the world without exception, now does it ?

Jn 3 16 tells us of God's Love for the world, but never specifically states that God loved all mankind as individuals without exception, that has been read into the text by those who care little about the Truth of God.

And such a verse as Jn 3:

16For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Must and should be explained by other verses of scripture that speaks on the same subject as God's Love of People.

First lets look at at an OT scripture that speaks to God's Love to a People deut 7:

6For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God: the LORD thy God hath chosen thee to be a special people unto himself, above all people that are upon the face of the earth.

7The LORD did not set his love upon you, nor choose you, because ye were more in number than any people; for ye were the fewest of all people:

8But because the LORD loved you, and because he would keep the oath which he had sworn unto your fathers, hath the LORD brought you out with a mighty hand, and redeemed you out of the house of bondmen, from the hand of Pharaoh king of Egypt.

We find here something extremely important about an immutable God and His Love. That God's Love is set upon a people He chooses look at deut 7:

7The LORD did not set his love upon you, nor choose you, because ye were more in number than any people; for ye were the fewest of all people:

Notice too that His Love is set upon the fewest of all people.. This should be a big eye opener for us, God Loves not the masses of mankind, for those He Loves are the few of mankind.

Remember Jesus stated about finding the road that leads to life that few find it Matt 7:

13Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:

14Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Those few, are and will be those God Loved.. So God so loved the world, means He loved a few , chosen ones in the world, His own special ones.

Jn 13:1

1Now before the feast of the passover, when Jesus knew that his hour was come that he should depart out of this world unto the Father, having loved his own which were in the world, he loved them unto the end.

The jews would have known from deut 7 that God's Love was exclusive for only some, but what they did not know was that some was not limited to them, for God loved some as well of different people groups, outside of their race; but His Love was nevertheless limited to a certain people, but just not to a limited location or race, it was the world at large that this special loved and certain people would be located..

Its God's Love that moved Him to choose His People in Christ and make them a special people above all others Deut 14:2

2For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth.

This is a exclusive Love for His chosen ! The Chosen are all those regardless of race, who were Chosen in Christ before the foundation Eph 1:4

4According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

God Loved His People so much, He ensured that they will be made Holy and Without blame before Him in Love.. Thats what God's Love does, it ensures this outcome..

So, we see specifically that God's Love causes Him to choose a people. That would lead us to understand, that the world of Jn 3:16 consist of those so loved and Chosen of God..

Gods Love = Chosen ones to be recipients and benefactors of it.

Those God Loved, also is specifically designated His Church Eph 5:25

25Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;

Now, is the church everyone in the world without exception ? It would be foolish to say yes to that question..

The word church is the greek word

ek klēsia:

It simply means to call out, the called out ones..

1 Pet 2:9

9But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light;

The church has been called out of darkness, and secondly, into His Marvelous light..

Its not a half done process. Its a calling out of and into.

These are the objects of God's Love in the world, the called out ones, the Church of Jesus Christ.

Paul calls them the called as in ROM 1:6

Among whom are ye also the called of Jesus Christ:

ROM 8:28

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

ROM 9:24

Even us, whom he hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?

Now nowhere in scripture can these things apply to all mankind without exception.

The world that God Loved is a called world. Remember one of the definitions for the word world kosmos is:

any aggregate or general collection of particulars of any sort

So the called of Jesus Christ as in ROM 1:6

Among whom are ye also the called of Jesus Christ:

So the collection of the called of Jesus Christ is the world God so Loved !

This just simply cannot be denied !

Forever. Revelation 20:10 "And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever." (KJV)

The Koine Greek word "aionios" is used in Revelation 20:10 and in other verses such as Matthew 25:46 and has been translated forever and ever! But in Koine Greek it doesn't mean endless at all!

There is NO eternal hellfire! That is NEVER taught in the Hebrew/Greek manuscripts. It's only in English translations we seem to get the understanding of an eternal burning fire because of English words used such as; eternal, forever etc! But under these words in the original languages, it does NOT mean endless at all.

In the original languages of the Bible - Hebrew and Koine Greek, eternal hellfire is NEVER taught! We only get this idea of an eternal hellfire where people will burn forever in agony in the English Bible. But God never ever taught it, and eternal hellfire is not Biblical.

Eternal hellfire stems from devils first lie[Gen 3:4], then came pagan philosophy, Jewish apostasies, Catholicism then protestantism!

And these people actually get angry and their stomachs begin to crawl, thats how mad they get when you reject the lie of eternal hellfire.

In the Hebrew and Greek, Sheol[Hebrew] and Hades,Tartaroo and Gehenna[Greek] is a place of death, darkness & silence. In other words, the grave! But the English word "Hell" means an eternal burning place of agony! But in the original Hebrew/Greek, there is no such word as "hell".

Jesus talked about Gehenna and Gehenna was a literal rubbish dump, but English translators used the English word HELL for this, but in the Greek there is no such word as hell.

When Jesus used the term "Gehenna", his hearers clearly understood it to be a rubbish dump, situated south/west of Jerusalem where refuse and the bodies of criminals were burnt. But English translators made it into HELL an English word that never exists in the original Greek.

Since rubbish and dead criminals and bodies were continuously added, the fires were perpetually flamed and kept alight. However, individual bodies did not burn endlessly, they became ashes! Eternal hellfire is ONLY taught in English translations, it is not taught in the original Hebrew and Greek manuscripts.

Not once did Jesus say a place will burn the lost forever! Certain people only get this understanding from the English Bible. Nowhere in the Hebrew or Greek manuscripts does it talk about an eternal hellfire!

Jer 31:3

3The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee.

Those whom God Loves He Loves them with an everlasting Love, centered in Jesus Christ whom He Loved with an Everlasting Love Jn 17:23-24

23I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

24Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world.

For God could never tell any Being He Loved them with an everlasting Love apart from Christ Rom 8:39

39Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

And since this True, He draws all so Loved to Himself. He does this by putting His Spirit in them.

The word lovingkindness is the word checed and can mean Faithfulness or mercy. Its translated mercy 149 times in the OT

The word drawn denotes the efficaciousness of His Grace.

This refers to the Church, which at that time was mostly confined to the jews, and this Love and Faithfulness is due to the Everlasting Covenant or the New Covenant. Later in the same Chapter we have this : Jer 31:31-34

31Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

32Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:

33But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

34And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

The Fruit and Effect of God's Love will always draw individuals to Christ, to find their Life in Him , which Life they had in Him as His Seed, being Chosen in Him before the foundation.

God is Love !

1 Jn 4:8

He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

God is Love has been one of the Truth's that false religion has used to deny other Truth's about God, like for instance, what the bible sets forth as God's main Attribute, and That is God is Holy !

Ps 99:9

Exalt the LORD our God, and worship at his holy hill; for the LORD our God is holy.

Isa 5:16

But the LORD of hosts shall be exalted in judgment, and God that is holy shall be sanctified in righteousness.

Isa 43:3

For I am the LORD thy God, the Holy One of Israel, thy Saviour

This attribute so describes God that Isa says Thrice of Him Isa 6:3

3And one cried unto another, and said, Holy, holy, holy, is the LORD of hosts: the whole earth is full of his glory.

Never do we read in scripture Love,Love, Love is the Lord of Hosts !

So God's Love is and must be a Holy Love, a Love that arises from His Holiness, a Love directed by His Holiness and Justice for sin and evil which He hates. God cannot and will not Love anyone or anything He views as Unholy, because He hates evil and is of purer eyes to behold it favorably Hab 1:13

Thou art of purer eyes than to behold evil, and canst not look on iniquity: wherefore lookest thou upon them that deal treacherously, and holdest thy tongue when the wicked devoureth the man that is more righteous than he?

God hates evil which is to include wicked people or persons as individuals Ps 5:5

5The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity.

God hates the foolish, that is such as have not had Christ made unto them wisdom 1 Cor 1:30

30But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption

God has left them in their own foolish wisdom which is devilish James 2:14-15

14But if ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth.

15This wisdom descendeth not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish.

They also are the workers of iniquity, emphasis on the individuals WORKERS of Iniquity, God hates them, because they are outside of God's Elective Purpose in Christ whereby their sins are not covered Ps 32:1-2

1Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered.

2Blessed is the man unto whom the LORD imputeth not iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no guile.

They are not blessed of God and God charges their iniquities unto them, so they are justly called workers of iniquity, in contrast to those blessed in Election, and whom God will not impute iniquity to their Charge.

God hates any and all whom He did Love and Choose in Christ before the world began. Eph 1:4-5; Rom 8:39 Only those sinners God Loved in Christ are Loved by God Rom 8:39

39Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

In the original the definite article precedes Love of God It is the only Love God has, its anchored in Christ Jesus our Lord. All those Chosen in Him before the world began are Loved by God 2 Tim 1:9

9Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,

These, though sinners by nature, are still viewed by God as Holy and without Blame before Him in Love Eph 1:4

4According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

They are already Holy and without blame positionally and legally,but God is fulfilling His purpose through Jesus Christ that they will also be that way experientially !

And thats why God can Love them as sinners, because He views them in Christ Jesus.

This however is in total contrast to those sinners He did choose in Christ, did not Love in Christ, these be the ones He hates Ps 5:5. So God is Love to those He sent Christ into the world to be a propitiation for their sins 1 Jn 4:10

Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

If Christ was the propitiation for their sins, then they would not be viewed by God as workers of iniquity, who obviously have their sins charged to them, for God does not charge sin to those He loved, but charged it upon their Saviour Substitute Isa 53:6

6All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

That cannot include those who God calls the workers of iniquity Ps 5:5

These God has not been propitiated for by Christ, which if God Loved them, would have been !

So God is Love, but only and exclusively in Christ Jesus our Lord !

The Time of Love ! -

Ezk 16:6-8

6And when I passed by thee, and saw thee polluted in thine own blood, I said unto thee when thou wast in thy blood, Live; yea, I said unto thee when thou wast in thy blood, Live.

7I have caused thee to multiply as the bud of the field, and thou hast increased and waxen great, and thou art come to excellent ornaments: thy breasts are fashioned, and thine hair is grown, whereas thou wast naked and bare.

8Now when I passed by thee, and looked upon thee, behold, thy time was the time of love; and I spread my skirt over thee, and covered thy nakedness: yea, I sware unto thee, and entered into a covenant with thee, saith the Lord GOD, and thou becamest mine.

All whom God Loves, He Loves in Christ Jesus Rom 8:39

And because of this Love, He sent Him into the world that we might live through Him. 1 Jn 4:9

In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.

There comes a time of Love for each one of us when God says Live. Thats because we were dead in our Trespasses and Sins Eph 2:1; Col 2:13, because of God's Great Love with which He Loved us, He made us Alive ! Eph 2:4-5

4But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,

5Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved )

God says to us if Christ died for us, Live ! Its your time of Love ! That is what God's Love accomplished through Christ Jesus our Lord. Through His Covenant Blood, the Blood of the Covenant Zech 9:11

As for thee also, by the blood of thy covenant I have sent forth thy prisoners out of the pit wherein is no water.

All for whom God Loved in Christ, shall be made to Live, and that everlastingly. None who will perish in their sins, was Loved by God !

The Love of God which is in Christ Jesus Our Lord !

Rom 8:39

Those who are not of the Elect, are those who are hated as Esau [Rom 9:13], they are alienated from God's Love and always will be , that is why they shall have their portion in the Lake of Fire, or as Jesus states, the Damnation of Hell Matt 23:33

Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?

Hell was made especially for them ! and they were made especially for hell..

Now These men here Jesus was speaking to, could not be those whom God Loved in Christ Jesus, stating that they cannot escape the damnation of Hell.

Also, If God's Love is in Christ Jesus, then how is it possible to be Loved of God as per Jn 3:16 without being Chosen in Christ before the foundation of the World ?

What manner of Love is this ?

1 Jn 3:1

1Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons [children] of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.

We know or should know that God does not Love all men without exception because all men without exception are not the children of God ! Those whom God Loved in Jn 3:16 are the same ones in 1 Jn 3:1. Now God bestowing His Love on the me in 1 Jn 3:1 constitutes them children of God, cannot be based upon believing, when Jn 3:16 is not based upon believing nor is Rom 5:8

8But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners [unbelievers], Christ died for us.

God does love one one way we are unregenerated, then after conversion love us another way. The same ones God Loved and bestowed His Love on in 1 Jn 3:1 are the same as in Rom 5:8, and they have always [before conversion] been Children of God. This is intimated in Jn 11:52

52And not for that nation only, but that also he should gather together in one the children of God that were scattered abroad.

Now, the Children of God are also the Children of Promise Rom 9:8

8That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed.

Now Isaac was of the Children of Promise Gal 4:28

28Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise.

Now did Isaac have to be a believer to be a Child of Promise ? The answer is no. He was a Child of promise before his natural birth.

And its the same with all Children of promise, who are also Children of God !

Now to say that all men without exception are Children of God, would be to lie against the Truth which clearly designates some men children of the devil 1 Jn 3:10

10In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.

So scripture is quite conclusive that God Loved His Children, and all men without exception are not God's Children, Children of Promise , so God could not have Loved all men without exception !

We know that Christ did not Love all men without exception because scripture teaches that those He did Loved that He washed them with His blood and made them a king and priest unto God. Rev 1:5-7

5And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,

6And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

7Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.

So these Three go together, Christ Loved, washed and made ! These three actions of Christ are not dependent upon the freewill of men, but attributed only to Him doing His Father's will and to Him alone belongs Glory and Dominion forever and ever !

Now unless we believe that Christ has washed all men without exception from their sins, and made all men without exception Kings and Priest unto God His Father, then there is no biblical warrant to believe nor teach that Christ, Loved all men without exception !

More on Jn 3:16

Many have tried to use this verse to teach the lie that God loved all of mankind, but that is not even what the verse states. Salvation and the Love of God were not privileged secluded to the ethnic jews. Through Christ, the middle wall of partition is broken down Eph 2:11-16

by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;

12That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:

13But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.

14For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;

15Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;

16And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby:

Gal 3:28-29

28There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

29And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Col 3:11

11Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all.

There simply is no national, or political distinctions in the New Covenant, which is in Christ Blood 1 Cor 11:25

25After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, this cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.

Now many today in their fleshly religious zeal, void of the Spirit,have imposed a most unscriptural meaning to the word world in Jn 3:16, they erroneously have it meaning all men and women without exception or the whole human race, but thats not what Jn 3:16 states or means. This fabrication does not pass the test of scripture. For example Jn 1:10

10He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.

In this one verse we find the word world [kosmos] with three different meanings. The first instance means, He lived on this earth, He tabernacled among men, Second it means He created all things, He created the orderly arrangement, and third, the word world primarily means the Jewish world were He conducted His Ministry, and who hated Him without cause. So in this one verse alone we have diverse meanings,none of which honestly means all mankind without exception. Wherever the word world is found it should be subject to its context, a word should not dictated a subject, but the subject the word.

Now lets look at Jn 15:18-19

18If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you.

19If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.

In these Two verses the word world is used several times but it is limited to the meaning of those who persecuted them who stood for the Truth ! The word is never used here as all mankind without exception !

Very educational posts SBG. However the implications that God made those He loved priests and kings, creates the question of who are they to serve as mediators between? God and who?

Why would God create a human he doesn't love?

Isn't creation ist's self evidence of love?

Forever. Revelation 20:10 "And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever." (KJV)

I never knew such a thread exists!
Whether hell fire or lake of fire there is a 'fire'.
I don't find it difficult to believe that there is a place called hellfire. Hellfire is real - the bible makes it clear. How about the Rich Man and Lazarus?
Or do you call it a parable? A parable is an earthly story with heavenly meaning.

*Man provoked God and God used water against man.

*Lucifer sinned and God kicked him and his friends out of heaven. They will never come back. Hellfire is theirs forever - and God has prepared such a place for the wicked ones (man).

*There are some People today who have seen Hellfire. God revealed it to them for us to be careful. It is true.

The Koine Greek word "aionios" is used in Revelation 20:10 and has been translated forever and ever! But in Koine Greek it doesn't mean endless at all! The term "for ever, eternal, everlasting" as used in the Bible, means simply a period of time, limited or unlimited. It is used 56 times in the Bible in connection with things that have already ended.

Read about the city of Edom in Isa 34:6-11 It says Edom was to burn forever and never be quenched! But its NOT burning today and in fact in verse 11 it says it will be occupied again after this so called forever FIRE! The problem lies in English translations, and eternal and forever and ever, does not always mean endless in the Bible.

Is EDOM burning today? NO! English translation says forever, but the original language it doesn't say or mean forever as you can clearly see that the next verse says it will be occupied again. How is that possible if v10 was to be taken literally as eternal fire etc... Think about it!

In Isa 34:10 it says the smoke from the fire on Edom will rise forever and never be quenched! Is this smoke rising today? NO it is not as Edom is in ashes today!

Eternal hellfire stems from Devils first lie[Gen 3:4], then came pagan philosophy, Jewish apostasies, Catholicism then protestantism, and it's not biblical at all!

The Koine Greek word "aionios" is used in Revelation 20:10 and has been translated forever and ever! But in Koine Greek it doesn't mean endless at all! The term "for ever, eternal, everlasting" as used in the Bible, means simply a period of time, limited or unlimited. It is used 56 times in the Bible in connection with things that have already ended.

Read about the city of Edom in Isa 34:6-11 It says Edom was to burn forever and never be quenched! But its NOT burning today and in fact in verse 11 it says it will be occupied again after this so called forever FIRE! The problem lies in English translations, and eternal and forever and ever, does not always mean endless in the Bible.

Is EDOM burning today? NO! English translation says forever, but the original language it doesn't say or mean forever as you can clearly see that the next verse says it will be occupied again. How is that possible if v10 was to be taken literally as eternal fire etc... Think about it!

In Isa 34:10 it says the smoke from the fire on Edom will rise forever and never be quenched! Is this smoke rising today? NO it is not as Edom is in ashes today!

Eternal hellfire stems from Devils first lie[Gen 3:4], then came pagan philosophy, Jewish apostasies, Catholicism then protestantism, and it's not biblical at all!

This portion caught my eye: But in Koine Greek it doesn't mean endless at all! The term "for ever, eternal, everlasting" as used in the Bible, means simply a period of time, limited or unlimited.

So the context will determine whether it is limited or unlimited. One could claim that the duration is a bit hard to determine from Rev20:10 but Mark 9:42-48 certainly clarifies the issue!!

42“But whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to stumble, it would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were thrown into the sea. 43If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter into life maimed, rather than having two hands, to go to hell, into the fire that shall never be quenched— 44where ‘Their worm does not die And the fire is not quenched.’
45 And if your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life lame, rather than having two feet, to be cast into hell, into the fire that shall never be quenched— 46 where ‘Their worm does not die And the fire is not quenched.’
47 And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye, rather than having two eyes, to be cast into hell fire— 48 where ‘Their worm does not die And the fire is not quenched.’

Comments:
1. those cast into hell encounter a fire that is not quenched ie.nothing puts it out, the fire just keeps burning.
2. this point is repeated three times within these couple of verses. From that I conclude that Jesus really wants us to get the idea that being cast into hell where the fire is never quenched is to be avoided at all costs.
3. from these verses in Mark I therefore conclude that the Rev20:10 lake of fire is never quenched hence the forever & ever translation.

Now John 17:9

Lets look at the word world [kosmos] in John 17:9

9I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine.

The world here surely does not mean the same as it does in Jn 3:16, why would Christ deny it to be the object of His Intercession and Prayer ?

The world here are all those among mankind that do not belong to God, yes He is still their Creator, but He is not their Covenant God, they belong to the wicked one, the Devil, and they were never given to Christ in Election as His Sheep. The world in Jn 3:16 is the World that God gave to the Son as in those He prays for in Jn 17:9 " those thou hast given me"

So, those God the Father has given the Son which the Son does Pray for is a World Jn 3:16 and those whom the Father hath not given the Son which the Son does not Pray for as in Jn 17:9 is a world.

Back