Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study The Lord's Day....the 7th Day Sabbath

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
J

Jay T

The Lord Jesus Christ has...a day, especially called, the Lord's day.

There are Bible verses where God (Christ) calls the 7th day sabbath...HIS !

"If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, [from] doing thy pleasure on [my holy day]; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure...." (Isaiah 58:13,14).
I personally believe what Christ says, when He calls the 7th day Sabbath....'MY holy day'.
Need I remind the reader, that the word: 'my' ....relates to, ownership ?

And, before anyone thinks of the 7th day sabbath as...'jewish'.....
Let me remind the reader, that Christ made the 7th day 'BLESSED' & 'HOLY'....some 2300+ years...BEFORE...there ever was a jew !
(Genesis 2:2,3)

"Moreover also I gave them [my sabbaths], to be a [sign] between me and them, that they might know that I [am] the LORD that sanctify them" (Ezekiel 20:12,20).......
" And hallow [my sabbaths]; and they shall be a [sign] between me and you, that ye may know that I [am] the LORD your God".

Now, if the sabbath was just for the jew.....then they alone have a God....and you would NOT !
Read the Bible verse again, as that is exactly what it is saying.

BUT again....my point here is, the word.....'my' ....in reference to the 7th day sabbath.

The Lord's day---the sabbath day?

Jay T; I find it hard to believe that when "the Lord" is speaking through the prophets in the OT that you interpret this as Christ speaking.

It's true, "Christ" is from the Greek "Christos" meaning "annointed", and there were many men annointed for service, such as King David, but "Christ" is only a NT word.

Having said that, your post helped motivate me to research this subject, and I will give my views.

As you quoted from Gen.2:2, God ended His creating and on the seventh day he ceased from all His work. He blessed it and set it apart, made it holy, for on that day He ceased from all His work of creating.

Now, isn't it interesting, there is nothing said in the rest of Genesis, that I've found, that anyone worshipped, or set apart the seventh day of the week as something special. And this covered thousands of years.

It is only when the whole Mosaic system of laws and regulations are established that God tells Moses to instruct the tribes of Israel that the seventh day is blessed, sactified (set apart). See Exod. 20:8-11 etc.

The sabbath is a sign or a covenant between God and the children of Israel, that God sets them apart for all generations. Exod. 31:13; Lev.24:8; Ezek. 24:12, etc. He doesn't say "for all humanity".

As you know, no work was to be done on the sabbath; no fires kindled; no long distance walked, etc. And the penalty for defiling the sabbath was death. Exod. 31:14,15, etc.

Is that what you want to live under, Jay T?

I'm assumming you know that other days in the week could be a sabbath day. Passover involved a week of feasts, all called sabbaths, because there were certain things they were to cease from.

The eight day after a sabbath was important. It was a holy convocation to the people who offered a burnt offering and did no servile work. Thus is was a sabbath. Lev 23:37-39.

As for how far to walk on the sabbath, in Acts 1:12 we are told the Mount of Olives was a sabbath days journey from Jerusalem. Maybe 6 miles?
Normally, none of us walk that far, but should we drive our car that far or farther?

So, as far as the Jewish economy is concerned, the seventh day is the sabbath, and they attempt to keep it holy.

Starting in Acts and following Paul on his journeys, we find that right up to the end of the Acts period, he went to the local synagogue on the sabbath, for that is when they met. But, as time and again the bulk of the Jews rejected him and his message, he turned to preach only to the nations. But, there were no churches. There were the God fearing gentiles who were delighted to hear the gospel. And since they knew or believed in the God of Israel, they met for prayer by a river, as recorded in Acts 16:15.

And later in his journeys, Paul, in the city of Troas, preached to the disciples who met on the first of the week, to fellowship and break bread. Acts 20:7.

Also, we read in 1 Cor. 16:1,2 that Paul wrote of the needs of the saints in Jerusalem, and encouraged the believers in Corinth to bring their donations when they met on the first of the week.

So, I believe that the early gentile churches met on the first day of the week, our Sunday.

As for me, I believe each day is holy, set apart to the Lord. If I met on Saturday for fellowship, so be it. We are not under law, but under grace.

God bless you, Bick

Re: The Lord's day---the sabbath day?

Bick said:
Jay T; I find it hard to believe that when "the Lord" is speaking through the prophets in the OT that you interpret this as Christ speaking.
OK, let's start at the beginning (pun intended), as in Genesis.
Who created the world ?
Wasn't it Christ ?
And if you need scripture to support that fact, here goes........
John 1:1 "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
1:2 The same was in the beginning with God.
1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
1:4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
1:5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
1:6 There was a man sent from God, whose name [was] John.
1:7 The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all [men] through him might believe.
1:8 He was not that Light, but [was sent] to bear witness of that Light.
1:9 [That] was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.
1:10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.
1:11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, [even] to them that believe on his name:

Are we in agreement that this is refering to Christ ?
AGAIN.....
Colossians 1:13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated [us] into the kingdom of his dear Son:
1:14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, [even] the forgiveness of sins:
1:15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:
1:16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether [they be] thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

Is this speaking of Christ, or not ?

Let's just assume that Christ (as God) created this world and everything in it, OK ?

If Christ created the world in 6 days, what did He do on the 7th day ?
Genesis 2:1 Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.
2:2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
2:3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

Dod you understand that God 'blessed' this one day ?
Do you understand that God (Christ) 'sanctified' this one day, and that the word 'sanctified' means, to make something ....HOLY ?

Later in scripture the Bible tells us the Christ calls the sabbath....'my' sabbath.
WHY ?
Because He alone can make anything HOLY, and He made the 7th day HOLY......which gives Him the absolute right, to call it HIS, do you see that point ?

It's true, "Christ" is from the Greek "Christos" meaning "annointed", and there were many men annointed for service, such as King David, but "Christ" is only a NT word.
Having said that, your post helped motivate me to research this subject, and I will give my views.

As you quoted from Gen.2:2, God ended His creating and on the seventh day he ceased from all His work. He blessed it and set it apart, made it holy, for on that day He ceased from all His work of creating.

Now, isn't it interesting, there is nothing said in the rest of Genesis, that I've found, that anyone worshipped, or set apart the seventh day of the week as something special. And this covered thousands of years.
Have you ever heard of communication of knowledge, by word of mouth ?

Try reading what the 4th commandment says, as the very first word is ....'Remember'......then, towards the end of the 4th commandment, it says when...it was established....
Exodus 20:8 "Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy".

20:9 "Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work"

20:10 "But the seventh day [is] the sabbath of the LORD thy God: [in it] thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that [is] within thy gates:
20:11 For [in] six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them [is], and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it".

Also, you left the impression that no one, had kept it.....
Genesis 26:5 "Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws". Don't forget what I said, about communication by word of mouth.
It is only when the whole Mosaic system of laws and regulations are established that God tells Moses to instruct the tribes of Israel that the seventh day is blessed, sactified (set apart). See Exod. 20:8-11 etc.
Are you forgetting about the sabbath commandment, having been known before....Mt Sinai ?

God people had been tested on that very subject in Exodus 16, before.... arriving at Mt Sinai !
The sabbath is a sign or a covenant between God and the children of Israel, that God sets them apart for all generations. Exod. 31:13; Lev.24:8; Ezek. 24:12, etc. He doesn't say "for all humanity".
'not' for all humanity, you imply ?
Are you aware that the 7th day sabbath was established some 2300+ years....BEFORE....there ever was a Jew ?
As you know, no work was to be done on the sabbath; no fires kindled; no long distance walked, etc. And the penalty for defiling the sabbath was death. Exod. 31:14,15, etc.
And can you find a Bible verse which states the Christ ever changed that ?
Is that what you want to live under, Jay T?
If it was such a 'bad' thing, then why did Christ say this.....
Isaiah 56:2 "Blessed [is] the man [that] doeth this, and the son of man [that] layeth hold on it; that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and keepeth his hand from doing any evil".
God pronounced a blessing...on the person who kept the sabbath ?
Isaiah 58:13 If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, [from] doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and [call the sabbath a delight], the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking [thine own] words:
58:14 Then shalt thou delight thyself in the LORD; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken [it].
[/color]
Did you see the word...'delight' in there ?

Is that the wrong thing to have been said ?
OR...is it because satan has convince people to see the 7th day sabbath in a false light ?

I mean after all, satsn is at ...WAR...with God's commandments, and those people who love Christ enough to keep them.....
Revelation 12:17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make [war] with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

I'm assumming you know that other days in the week could be a sabbath day.
NO, they cannot !
The Bible points out the sabbath day clear enough, so NO ONE will ever get it wrong.
Luke 23:54-24:3 tells us thhat the sabbath comes the day before...Christ arose from the grave.
And everyone knows that Sunday, the 1st day of the week is when Christ arose, from the dead.

Passover involved a week of feasts, all called sabbaths, because there were certain things they were to cease from.
The Passover is the sabbath found in the Law of Moses which has been ABOLISHED...at the cross of Jesus Christ, (Ephesians 2:15 & Colossians 2:2:14-16)

Starting in Acts and following Paul on his journeys, we find that right up to the end of the Acts period, he went to the local synagogue on the sabbath, for that is when they met. But, as time and again the bulk of the Jews rejected him and his message, he turned to preach only to the nations. But, there were no churches. There were the God fearing gentiles who were delighted to hear the gospel. And since they knew or believed in the God of Israel, they met for prayer by a river, as recorded in Acts 16:15.

And later in his journeys, Paul, in the city of Troas, preached to the disciples who met on the first of the week, to fellowship and break bread. Acts 20:7.

Also, we read in 1 Cor. 16:1,2 that Paul wrote of the needs of the saints in Jerusalem, and encouraged the believers in Corinth to bring their donations when they met on the first of the week.
OK, find just one command to keep the day (Sunday) as a day of worship, OK ?

So, I believe that the early gentile churches met on the first day of the week, our Sunday.
Please supply a Bible verse which will then make Jesus Christ words, of no effect.
As it is written: Matthew 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, [even] unto the end of the world. Amen.

Since Jesus Christ NEVER mentioned anything about Sunday worship services....how can they teach otherwise ?
As for me, I believe each day is holy, set apart to the Lord. If I met on Saturday for fellowship, so be it. We are not under law, but under grace.
AH......and that is the trouble !
Few realize that grace is an important element in the plan of salvation, which requires 'OBEDIENCE', to what the Bible says.....
Romans 1:5 "By whom we have received grace....for obedience....to the faith among all nations, for his name"

Brutus/HisCatalyst said:
One verse. Colossians 2:16
OK, your point is what ?
We are not talking about the sabbaths (Passover,ect.) which is found in the Law of Moses.
That sabbath was abolished (Ephesians 2:15 & Colossians 2:14-16)

The subject was the 7th day Sabbath, the Lord's day which He created in Genesis 2:2,3......and will extend into the New Earth, (Isaiah 66:22,23).

To further illustrate the point, the 7th day Sabbath was never 'against' us as people try to make Colossians 2:16 says.....as God pronunced a blessing on those people who kept it (Isaiah 56:2)
Also, in Isaiah 58:13,14, God says to call the 7th day Sabbath a 'delight'......so it should be obvious, that the 7th day Sabbath was NEVER against us, OK ?

Brutus/HisCatalyst said:
I don't think that verse specified a sabbath, of course you're welcome to prove me wrong. 8-)

Sputnik: Bearing in mind that Paul was not God and had no authority to tamper with the Law of God, who was Paul talking to in Colossians 2:16? In a previous thread on this topic or similar, guibox gave a very good explanation of this scripture. If he's around, perhaps he can present it again. In any event, the text has nothing to do with the 7th-day Sabbath.

Brutus/HisCatalyst said:
Sputnik, I'm asking for proof of your claim. If you can't help me understand your point, then just say so.

Sputnik: But I DID give my point, Brutus ...I said that Paul was NOT God and had no authority to tamper with the Law of God!

Sputnik: But you also said he wasn't talking about that sabbath. Which is it then? Also, I see no place where Paul is making any new rules. Please clarify your point or retract it.

Brutus/HisCatalyst said:
Sputnik: But you also said he wasn't talking about that sabbath. Which is it then? Also, I see no place where Paul is making any new rules.
I glad someone brought up that point of Paul not making up 'new' rules.

The Apostle Paul cannot teach anything opposite of what his Lord Jesus Christ taught.....such as Sunday worship services.

Christ never taught such a thing, and no one can teach what Jesus never taught Himself......as it is written: Matthew 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, [even] unto the end of the world. Amen.

Jay T said:
[quote="Brutus/HisCatalyst":4599e]Sputnik: But you also said he wasn't talking about that sabbath. Which is it then? Also, I see no place where Paul is making any new rules.
I glad someone brought up that point of Paul not making up 'new' rules.

The Apostle Paul cannot teach anything opposite of what his Lord Jesus Christ taught.....such as Sunday worship services.

Christ never taught such a thing, and no one can teach what Jesus never taught Himself......as it is written: Matthew 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
[/quote:4599e]

So, JayT when does the Sabbath start for you? Since you posted your response above at ..Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:19 am :-?

Judy said:
So, JayT when does the Sabbath start for you? Since you posted your response above at ..Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:19 am :-?
After the example of Jesus Christ who taught scripture, on the sabbath, in places of meetings of believers, right ?

Am I not doing the same ?

The Lord's Day....the seventh day sabbath?

Jay T: If you say the words of God (Yehweh) in the OT are actually the words of Christ, then Yehweh and Christ are one and the same.

It's true, it wasn't until the NT that we were told that God through the Word, Christ Jesus, created the all things. But to say that when the Lord God says the seventh day is His holy day, to make that Christ saying it. and it becoming "the Lord's day" is just your interpretation. Not the great bulk of bible scholars.

Paul says "Christ in the end of the law for righteousness" Rom. 10:4, and that includes "keeping the sabbath" for righteousness.

In this administration of grace. there are no commandents we must keep.
Yes, Paul's gospel created faith-obedience, or obedient to the good news as they were called.

Again, it's true that Paul never said "remember the first day of the week to keep it holy". On the other hand, he never said "remember the sabbath to keep it holy." As a matter of fact, all the other nine commandents were mentioned somewhere in Paul's letterts, except "remember the Sabbath."

Bick

Brutus/HisCatalyst said:
Sputnik: But you also said he wasn't talking about that sabbath. Which is it then? Also, I see no place where Paul is making any new rules. Please clarify your point or retract it.

Sputnik: You ARE aware that the annual sabbaths and other rituals had nothing to do with the weekly Sabbath, don't you? See, this is where the problem lies. Paul would not have taken issue with someone being obedient to the Sabbath ...why on earth would he? He would, however, have had something to say about those who continued to keep the laws contained in the ordinances which, by the death and resurrection of Jesus, were no longer applicable.

The only laws that were abolished were those that had pointed to the coming Savior. Jesus had fulfilled those laws. This meant that the slaughtering of goats, bulls and sheep were no longer necessary. They were gone ...kaput. This did NOT mean that setting aside the day that God at Creation gave to M A N as a weekly respite from six days of work was also abolished. God would not do that. The majority of Christians in the world set aside a day each week to rest and to worship God. This is not even in dispute. Why? Because we NEED that special day each week and God in His wisdom KNEW that.

So, which day is is to be ...the day God asked of us or the day our friends the RCC installed in its place? It's up to the individual; however, I know which of the two options I'd choose.

Re: The Lord's Day....the seventh day sabbath?

Bick said:
Jay T: If you say the words of God (Yehweh) in the OT are actually the words of Christ, then Yehweh and Christ are one and the same.

It's true, it wasn't until the NT that we were told that God through the Word, Christ Jesus, created the all things. But to say that when the Lord God says the seventh day is His holy day, to make that Christ saying it. and it becoming "the Lord's day" is just your interpretation. Not the great bulk of bible scholars.

Paul says "Christ in the end of the law for righteousness" Rom. 10:4, and that includes "keeping the sabbath" for righteousness.

In this administration of grace. there are no commandents we must keep.
Yes, Paul's gospel created faith-obedience, or obedient to the good news as they were called.

Again, it's true that Paul never said "remember the first day of the week to keep it holy". On the other hand, he never said "remember the sabbath to keep it holy." As a matter of fact, all the other nine commandents were mentioned somewhere in Paul's letterts, except "remember the Sabbath."

Bick

Sputnik: Hi Bick. Just a few quick questions. Were you 'obedient' to Sunday yesterday (I'm speaking Australia time) by showing up at your church for worship? If so, why? Because Sunday is the traditional day for worship? Because Sunday is the day the doors of your church are open? Because everyone else shows up to church on Sunday? Because you feel the need to set aside a 'special day' each week? And that day happens to be Sunday? Because, deep down, you believe that this is something God asks and expects of you? Any other?

Oh, by the way, Bick ...if 'the great bulk of Bible scholars' you mentioned in your post brought the Bible to court as evidence for Sunday being 'the Lord's Day', the case would be kicked out of court due to LACK of evidence. So much for the great bulk of Bible scholars who are no more divine than you or me! Why, oh why, do we imply the divinity of people simply by virtue of their having existed in a bygone era?

Yet another 'oh, by the way' ...the truth of the matter is NOT that the bulk of Bible scholars determined that 'the Lord's Day' was Sunday. It doesn't require a 'bulk' of people to initiate a belief. It may only take ONE person to initiate a belief and MILLIONS may well follow that belief! People are basically sheep who prefer others to do their thinking for them. This is precisely what has happened in this case.

SputnikBoy said:
Brutus/HisCatalyst said:

Sputnik: You ARE aware that the annual sabbaths and other rituals had nothing to do with the weekly Sabbath, don't you? See, this is where the problem lies. Paul would not have taken issue with someone being obedient to the Sabbath ...why on earth would he? He would, however, have had something to say about those who continued to keep the laws contained in the ordinances which, by the death and resurrection of Jesus, were no longer applicable.

The only laws that were abolished were those that had pointed to the coming Savior. Jesus had fulfilled those laws. This meant that the slaughtering of goats, bulls and sheep were no longer necessary. They were gone ...kaput. This did NOT mean that setting aside the day that God at Creation gave to M A N as a weekly respite from six days of work was also abolished. God would not do that. The majority of Christians in the world set aside a day each week to rest and to worship God. This is not even in dispute. Why? Because we NEED that special day each week and God in His wisdom KNEW that.

So, which day is is to be ...the day God asked of us or the day our friends the RCC installed in its place? It's up to the individual; however, I know which of the two options I'd choose.

I do too, the day when I will worship Christ... Wait, I'm going to worship him Daily. You're entire thing still does not prove which sabbath Paul was addressing. I agree that there must be at least one day set aside for the fellowship of faith to worship as one body. However, I do not agree that it must be one day or another.

Brutus/HisCatalyst said:
SputnikBoy said:
[quote="Brutus/HisCatalyst":3c214]Sputnik: But you also said he wasn't talking about that sabbath. Which is it then? Also, I see no place where Paul is making any new rules. Please clarify your point or retract it.

I do too, the day when I will worship Christ... Wait, I'm going to worship him Daily. You're entire thing still does not prove which sabbath Paul was addressing. I agree that there must be at least one day set aside for the fellowship of faith to worship as one body. However, I do not agree that it must be one day or another.[/quote:3c214]

Sputnik: That's cool. Thanks for your response.

Back