Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study The Lord's Day....the 7th Day Sabbath

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
The sabbath day

Like I said in my other post, I set aside every day to the Lord. It's true, I fellowship, meet with other believers on Sunday. But it is no more holy than any other day.

Psychologically, The Lord God knew it was important for man to toil six days, and then to cease, or rest, on the seventh day. But look how it has been for years in so many countries, we toil for five days and rest on two.

I see evidence from some of Paul's later letters that certain groups of believers met on the first of the week. Paul never invoked a "remember the sabbath (seventh day) to keep it holy" any more than he said it for the first day of the week.

Hmmm, I see I'm repeating myself somewhat. Sorry

Bick

That's alright, Bick. I think most of us do that regularly.

If 'the Lord's Day' HAD suddenly become Sunday (the first day), surely there would have been a great deal of fanfare ...not merely a few odd references that Paul and others met together every day. All that means to me is what it says ...simply that they met every day and nothing more.

I personally can't accept 'the Lord's Day'=Sunday simply because post-scripture Christians decided to make a compromise with the pagans. You see ...I really DO require the Bible (God) to initiate the change before I take the 'Sunday thing' on board. I realize that, in the minds of many, this debate is 'merely' about 'a day'. To others, however, there is ONE particular day that was singled out by God to bless and to sanctify at Creation. This fact alone perhaps makes this an issue that some might want to defend.

Re: The Lord's Day....the seventh day sabbath?

Bick said:

In this administration of grace. there are no commandents we must keep.
Yes, Paul's gospel created faith-obedience, or obedient to the good news as they were called.

Again, it's true that Paul never said "remember the first day of the week to keep it holy". On the other hand, he never said "remember the sabbath to keep it holy." As a matter of fact, all the other nine commandents were mentioned somewhere in Paul's letterts, except "remember the Sabbath."

Bick
Since Jesus Christ is the Lord, (or so I've heard), I'll stick to what He said, OK ?

Bick (and any others who hold to this statement from Paul)

Rom 10:4 "Christ is the end of the Law..."

END is translated from the Greek word TELOS. You might recognize it from the word teloscope. If you look through a teloscope, are you gazing at the end of the universe? No You are focusing or aiming at certain aspects of the sky.

TELOS means aim or goal. Christ is the AIM or GOAL of the Law. This in no way means "to put an end to". Look it up in a concordance and for heaven's sake take off the blinders.

dcookcan said:
Bick (and any others who hold to this statement from Paul)

Rom 10:4 "Christ is the end of the Law..."

END is translated from the Greek word TELOS. You might recognize it from the word teloscope. If you look through a teloscope, are you gazing at the end of the universe? No You are focusing or aiming at certain aspects of the sky.

TELOS means aim or goal. Christ is the AIM or GOAL of the Law. This in no way means "to put an end to". Look it up in a concordance and for heaven's sake take off the blinders.

Sputnik: That's absolutely true, dcook. Thanks for pointing that out. Kind of puts a new slant an that oft-quoted text, doesn't it? So, according to the Greek 'telos' or 'tello', adhering to the Law that Christ Himself fulfilled is to be our goal. It kind of means the OPPOSITE to what most are teaching.

The Lord's day... the 7th day sabbath?

Actually, all of Rom. 10:4 should be quoted: "For Christ is the consummation of law for righteousness to everyone who is believing."

Also Gal.2:15, "We who by nature are Jews, and not sinners of the nations, having perceived that a man is not being justified by works of law..." Both from the Concordant NT

Bick

Re: The Lord's day... the 7th day sabbath?

Bick said:
Actually, all of Rom. 10:4 should be quoted: "For Christ is the consummation of law for righteousness to everyone who is believing."
That does not detract from the meaning of the text as I presented it. When a marriage is 'consumated', it does not mean that the relationship has ended. It signifies the start of a whole new life together.
Bick said:
Also Gal.2:15, "We who by nature are Jews, and not sinners of the nations, having perceived that a man is not being justified by works of law..." Both from the Concordant NT
No one is justified by the Law; however, that does not give us license to sin.
- Sin is transgression of the Law.
- I would not have known sin if not for the Law.
- Should we go on sinning so that grace may abound? Heaven forbid!
- We uphold the Law.
These are Paul's words.

Merry Menagerie said:
How is the law upheld?
Romans 1:5 "By whom we have received grace....for obedience ...to the faith among all nations, for his name".
To keep all 10 commandments, including the 4th (7th day Sabbath) requires grace...from God.

Merry Menagerie said:
How is the law upheld?
Romans 1:5 "By whom we have received grace....for obedience ...to the faith among all nations, for his name".
To keep all 10 commandments, including the 4th (7th day Sabbath) requires grace...from God.

Merry Menagerie said:
How is the law upheld?

The Lord's day--the seventh day sabbath?

Yes, yes indeed! God gives us the grace to live, to walk as close to Christ as possible. And yet, none of can say we have reached that pinnacle of sinless perfection---if we're honest.

We are told we, as believing Christians, that in Christ, we are justified, we are seated in the heavenlies as sons of God; yet our walk on earth is by faith, to know Christ ever closer, through God's grace.

I don't recite the ten commandents hourly or daily, to make sure I might break one. That would be back to legalism. In Christ, I keep all the commandents.

Bick

Re: The Lord's day--the seventh day sabbath?

Bick said:
Yes, yes indeed! God gives us the grace to live, to walk as close to Christ as possible. And yet, none of can say we have reached that pinnacle of sinless perfection---if we're honest.

We are told we, as believing Christians, that in Christ, we are justified, we are seated in the heavenlies as sons of God; yet our walk on earth is by faith, to know Christ ever closer, through God's grace.

I don't recite the ten commandents hourly or daily, to make sure I might break one. That would be back to legalism. In Christ, I keep all the commandents.

Bick

Sputnik: ALL who were saved were saved by God's grace, Bick. Contrary to popular belief, grace is NOT a NT phenomenon. And, actively participating in ALL of the Ten Commandments are a by-product of being in Christ. We are not supposed to hide our light under a bushel but to let it shine to others. It need have nothing to do with legalism. In other words, ACTIONS speak far louder than mere words. By the way, Bick, do you keep ALL of the commandments, or all but one?

Bick said:

Bick
You say you keep all the commandments ?
That's GREAT !

Because the 4th commandment...the 7th day Sabbath, is the sign, of the relationship between God and the believer.....20:20 "And hallow my sabbaths; and they shall be a sign between me and you, that ye may know that I [am] the LORD your God".

Bick said:

Bick
You say you keep all the commandments ?
That's GREAT !

Because the 4th commandment...the 7th day Sabbath, is the sign, of the relationship between God and the believer.....20:20 "And hallow my sabbaths; and they shall be a sign between me and you, that ye may know that I [am] the LORD your God".

What day of the week should we stop doing the works of God? Jesus healed on the Sabbath, so should we consider him a heretic and sinner of the Jewish ordinance of the sabbath? Or should we consider the perspective of the Jews of that time, off base, and in accordance with their traditions?

I believe that each of us should be keeping every day holy as unto God, and resting from worldly work seven days a week. We should be about God's business seven days a week.

I suspect that the six days of creation and the seventh day of rest was the template of mans days on the earth prior to entering God's eternity with the new heaven and new earth being created. Man will live under his reign for six thousand years and then Jesus will reign for one thousand years, after which the new heavens and new earth will be created.

Elementary my dear Watson.

Solo said:
I suspect that the six days of creation and the seventh day of rest was the template of mans days on the earth prior to entering God's eternity with the new heaven and new earth being created. Man will live under his reign for six thousand years and then Jesus will reign for one thousand years, after which the new heavens and new earth will be created.

Sounds nice but lacks evidence. The Hebrew syntax makes these days as 24 hour literal days. The seventh day as well. The Sabbath commandment links the creation week into its command to keep a 24 hour literal day as well (Exodus 20:11).

The Sabbath command is irrevocably linked to the Seventh day of creation in all its forms. To try and make the seventh day some sort of spiritual or eschaetological significance is to remove it completely out of the context that the Hebrews and Jews would have understood it, never mind that the command to observe it and links it comes straight from the mouth and finger of the Lord.

guibox said:
Solo said:

Sounds nice but lacks evidence. The Hebrew syntax makes these days as 24 hour literal days. The seventh day as well. The Sabbath commandment links the creation week into its command to keep a 24 hour literal day as well (Exodus 20:11).

The Sabbath command is irrevocably linked to the Seventh day of creation in all its forms. To try and make the seventh day some sort of spiritual or eschaetological significance is to remove it completely out of the context that the Hebrews and Jews would have understood it, never mind that the command to observe it and links it comes straight from the mouth and finger of the Lord.

8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. 2 Peter 3:8

Most of the Jews did not understand the scriptures that foretold the coming of Jesus Christ either. I would suggest that in order to understand God and His Word, one is required to know Him first. What do you think?

Solo said:

8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. 2 Peter 3:8

Most of the Jews did not understand the scriptures that foretold the coming of Jesus Christ either. I would suggest that in order to understand God and His Word, one is required to know Him first. What do you think?

By this reckoning, Christ was in the wilderness for 40 years, was in the grave 3 years, and the prophet laid on his side for 40 years.

It must be nice to pick and choose what this verse can apply to, never mind that it is merely talking about God being beyond time when applicable with Himself. However, the seventh day was brought into the week for man and commanded within the time scope of man.

This is the type of biblical interpretation most Protestants desire to engage in. One that is a knee-jerk, quick cursory glanced intepretation to fit their preconceived notions (no personal offense to you, Solo, I do respect your posts)

One must look deeper into the context of the scriptures both linguistic and cultural and use the bible as it's own intepreter by cross referencing to truly find out what the truth of specific doctrines are all about.

Back