Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Primacy of Peter

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I know there are various interpretations of this.
I believe it is about authority and is connected to Peter being given the keys of the kingdom of heaven.
If you want more on this I suggest I start a new thread on the topic of the keys, and binding and loosing.
Good idea.
Some believe binding and loosing begins in heaven,
And some believe it begins on earth and the response is in heaven.

I have no firm conviction. I tend to believe it must begin in heaven...not sure.

I believe it used to be the home of the popes when they were seated in Rome.

Across the street are the Sacred Steps.

Legend has it that Jesus actually used these wooden steps. Persons go there for confession or to pray.

We cannot know for sure if this is true.
Yes.

The site was once occupied by a palace belonging to the Laterani family; and later to Emperor Constantine.

In 312, Constantine gifted the palace to Pope Melchiades (aka Militades); and it remained the papal residence for the next thousand years.

The Basilica of St. John Lateran was built in 324. Inscribed on its facade are the words ‘omnium urbis et orbis ecclesiarum mater et caput.’; translated: ‘The mother and head of all the churches of the city and of the world.’

The ‘Scala Sancta’ are a set of twenty-eight white marble steps; said to have formed part of Pilate’s palace in Jerusalem, and to have been the very steps climbed by Yeshua (ʿalayhi as-salām) on the way to his trial.

According to legend, the Scala (which may be climbed only on one’s knees) was brought to Rome by St Helena, sometime in the 4th century.

In 1724, Pope Benedict XIII had the steps covered in wood for their protection (they were being worn, through constant use). The steps remained covered until April 2019, when pilgrims were once more permitted to climb the exposed marble. The wooded covers were refitted in July 2019.

(Text distilled from various sources).

I hope this helps. Have a great day, and very best regards.

Yes.

The site was once occupied by a palace belonging to the Laterani family; and later to Emperor Constantine.

In 312, Constantine gifted the palace to Pope Melchiades (aka Militades); and it remained the papal residence for the next thousand years.

The Basilica of St. John Lateran was built in 324. Inscribed on its facade are the words ‘omnium urbis et orbis ecclesiarum mater et caput.’; translated: ‘The mother and head of all the churches of the city and of the world.’

The ‘Scala Sancta’ are a set of twenty-eight white marble steps; said to have formed part of Pilate’s palace in Jerusalem, and to have been the very steps climbed by Yeshua (ʿalayhi as-salām) on the way to his trial.

According to legend, the Scala (which may be climbed only on one’s knees) was brought to Rome by St Helena, sometime in the 4th century.

In 1724, Pope Benedict XIII had the steps covered in wood for their protection (they were being worn, through constant use). The steps remained covered until April 2019, when pilgrims were once more permitted to climb the exposed marble. The wooded covers were refitted in July 2019.

(Text distilled from various sources).

I hope this helps. Have a great day, and very best regards.
So much information !
Thanks.

I've visited the steps several times...at least 3 or 4.
I can only remember them in wood...,but even then I did climb then although persons do go there for
"penance". We all worship God in different ways and we are not to demean others even though we may not agree.

When I climbed them this last time it was with my granddaughter, who is a born again Christian, knows all the priests in our area and tells me she feels God in her heart. I brought her up to the confession booth, not to confess but to speak to the priest and to get a blessing. She loves speaking to priests and I'm happy to know some personally. She's autistic and is a very friendly and loving person...she's low on the scale.

Good idea.
Some believe binding and loosing begins in heaven,
And some believe it begins on earth and the response is in heaven.

I have no firm conviction. I tend to believe it must begin in heaven...not sure.
I've just posted a thread - Peter and the Keys.

So much information !
Thanks.

I've visited the steps several times...at least 3 or 4.
I can only remember them in wood...,but even then I did climb then although persons do go there for
"penance". We all worship God in different ways and we are not to demean others even though we may not agree.

When I climbed them this last time it was with my granddaughter, who is a born again Christian, knows all the priests in our area and tells me she feels God in her heart. I brought her up to the confession booth, not to confess but to speak to the priest and to get a blessing. She loves speaking to priests and I'm happy to know some personally. She's autistic and is a very friendly and loving person...she's low on the scale.

So much information?? I'm Welsh. We never use three or four words when a couple of hundred will easily do.

Thank you for sharing the story of your granddaughter. Wonderful, bless her :clap.

May the Beloved bless both of you, and keep you close to Himself.

So much information?? I'm Welsh. We never use three or four words when a couple of hundred will easily do.

Thank you for sharing the story of your granddaughter. Wonderful, bless her :clap.

May the Beloved bless both of you, and keep you close to Himself.
LOL
As He does you.

Judge
Try answering the post instead of attacking the poster.

It works much better when debating a topic.
Try it
You'll like it
:)
Wondering, unlike you I believe it is important to keep it real. Address the post and not the poster? Can't stand when people lie about their beliefs. When your buddy comes after me and not my post I don't hear anything from anyone in the popcorn stands nor do I care, until someone hypocritically comes at me only. If in here Jaybo is Protestant and on another topic tries to argue against me and thinks by saying " I'm nondenominational " , yes then I have a problem with the poster and the post. Post aren't peopleless replies. If you have more than one sock puppet don't dare hypocritically judge me and my responses.

Jesus Christ left no written legacy, no theology book, no catechism. Instead he founded a Church and he entrusted his teaching to twelve men who he had selected, were his constant companions during his years of ministry, and whom he specially trained to carry on his mission. One of these, Peter, was appointed leader, and was recognised as such by others.
You state this then quote from the very written legacy that allowed you to know anything about Peter to begin with. Is this so all will think your pope is the begin and end all word for Christ's church or to make protestants look better than they should? What came first the chicken or the egg? Does the cart go before the horse and does any kingdom stand upon a written word or just by some next in line with his own word? Even Christ upheld His prophets. No man is above the tenets the scriptures put forth. Not even any assembly is above that or before it, it must follow it. Where's the standard? Is the testimony of scripture God's word or man's?

I have no problem with the primacy of Peter, but when Catholics try to override the written standard which revealed all you could possibly know about Peter, I have a problem. The word is first, whether spoken to the first to know and written too for all else to know, it's all the same word. You can't override the written standard left to us because to do so would be to disengage from God. It is to test all men against, to make sure that no man teaches some false doctrine, like your opener. Clearly misleading.

You state this then quote from the very written legacy that allowed you to know anything about Peter to begin with. Is this so all will think your pope is the begin and end all word for Christ's church or to make protestants look better than they should? What came first the chicken or the egg? Does the cart go before the horse and does any kingdom stand upon a written word or just by some next in line with his own word? Even Christ upheld His prophets. No man is above the tenets the scriptures put forth. Not even any assembly is above that or before it, it must follow it. Where's the standard? Is the testimony of scripture God's word or man's?

I have no problem with the primacy of Peter, but when Catholics try to override the written standard which revealed all you could possibly know about Peter, I have a problem. The word is first, whether spoken to the first to know and written too for all else to know, it's all the same word. You can't override the written standard left to us because to do so would be to disengage from God. It is to test all men against, to make sure that no man teaches some false doctrine, like your opener. Clearly misleading.

What did Jesus write?
The only thing I can recall is that he wrote something in the dust, but it isn't recorded what he actually wrote.

I have no problem with the primacy of Peter, but when Catholics try to override the written standard which revealed all you could possibly know about Peter, I have a problem. The word is first, whether spoken to the first to know and written too for all else to know, it's all the same word. You can't override the written standard left to us because to do so would be to disengage from God. It is to test all men against, to make sure that no man teaches some false doctrine,
Hi Judge
Is there any other possible source from which we might know something about Peter?

Is there any other possible source from which we might know that Jesus ever existed?

Do we Christian's hzve a faith of reason and logic, or not?

Wondering, unlike you I believe it is important to keep it real. Address the post and not the poster? Can't stand when people lie about their beliefs. When your buddy comes after me and not my post I don't hear anything from anyone in the popcorn stands nor do I care, until someone hypocritically comes at me only. If in here Jaybo is Protestant and on another topic tries to argue against me and thinks by saying " I'm nondenominational " , yes then I have a problem with the poster and the post. Post aren't peopleless replies. If you have more than one sock puppet don't dare hypocritically judge me and my responses.
Hi Judge
I don't have any buddies on this forum.
We're like a nice small family here and we consider you part of that family. By We I mean all of us that were already here when you joined.

I'm not a moderator and do not read every post on every thread. I was responding to One Particular post, as any poster would do. My response was to that particular post.

Also, I'd like you to know, since you're new, that I'm Protestant in theology, but have a rather complicated story which I cannot get into.
This story allows me to treat all my brothers in Christ exactly the same way,,,as I think we all should.
John 13:35

I am sorry if I've hurt your feelings in some way
And i expect to have a good relationship with you.

What did Jesus write?
The only thing I can recall is that he wrote something in the dust, but it isn't recorded what he actually wrote.
Whatever the apostle wrote, whatever is written in the Bible. " All scripture is God Breathed", " After He had said that He breathed on them and said receive the Holy Spirit", " He spoke to us many things too many to write, all the libraries in the world could not hold what He taught us".

You just showed with your answer that you do not believe the written word of God comes from God. You probably should retire it. God had men put pen to paper to write His words through them. Man is His instrument but the Word belongs to Him. God is both author and interpreter of His written Word. Your heart has been revealed. " In those days many will say, Lord, Lord did we not prophesy in your name, cast out demons in your name, do mighty works in your name? To them I will say, depart from Me you workers of lawlessness, I never knew you!"
Get right or get out. If you think the Bible is just some book men penned because they had nothing to do but just tell stories, then you need to retire. Either God told the writers of scripture to write what they did or He didn't, which is it?

Hi Judge
Is there any other possible source from which we might know something about Peter?

Is there any other possible source from which we might know that Jesus ever existed?

Do we Christian's hzve a faith of reason and logic, or not?
Will you listen to yourself. You sound like a cult member not a Christian.

According to Catholic doctrine, the Holy Spirit proceeds from both the Father and the Son. Being the third personification of God, the Holy Spirit by way of both Father and the Son comes upon those anointed for service. If what Mungo is asserting is true then there goes the whole of the gospel and the prophets. Mungo in essence calls the Father and Son liars and rejects the Holy Spirit. Mungo puts his catholic mungo jumbo in place of God. He's nothing more than an idol worshiper . Bye.

Whatever the apostle wrote, whatever is written in the Bible. " All scripture is God Breathed", " After He had said that He breathed on them and said receive the Holy Spirit", " He spoke to us many things too many to write, all the libraries in the world could not hold what He taught us".

You just showed with your answer that you do not believe the written word of God comes from God. You probably should retire it. God had men put pen to paper to write His words through them. Man is His instrument but the Word belongs to Him. God is both author and interpreter of His written Word. Your heart has been revealed. " In those days many will say, Lord, Lord did we not prophesy in your name, cast out demons in your name, do mighty works in your name? To them I will say, depart from Me you workers of lawlessness, I never knew you!"
Get right or get out. If you think the Bible is just some book men penned because they had nothing to do but just tell stories, then you need to retire. Either God told the writers of scripture to write what they did or He didn't, which is it?
So you admit that Jesus didn't actually write anything.
When Jesus left this earth had anything been written down? The answer is clearly NO.

"God had men put pen to paper to write His words through them".
God did not force anyone to write.
God didn't dictate the scriptures.
God inspired them to write what they did (2Tim 3:16)

Back