Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Bible Study The Rapture

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Hi Brother dirtfarmer, and good question. I just used the term in response to Sister for_his_glory where she referred to it in her post #52 as being "your legs feel like jelly and you just can not stand, John 18:6"

The term "Slain in the Spirit" seems to have been brought forth from the recent Charismatic movement of the Church as describing manifestations occurring when the Spirit comes upon a person.

I have studied it a bit and have accumulated the following written thoughts on it.
Slain in the Spirit
Many experience what they refer to as being "Slain in the Spirit" after receiving great revelations much like Daniel below just fainted as it were.
Dan 10:7 And I Daniel alone saw the vision: for the men that were with me saw not the vision; but a great quaking fell upon them, so that they fled to hide themselves.
Dan 10:8 Therefore I was left alone, and saw this great vision, and there remained no strength in me: for my comeliness was turned in me into corruption, and I retained no strength.
Dan 10:9 Yet heard I the voice of his words: and when I heard the voice of his words, then was I in a deep sleep on my face, and my face toward the ground.
Dan 10:15 And when he had spoken such words unto me, I set my face toward the ground, and I became dumb.
Dan 10:16 And, behold, one like the similitude of the sons of men touched my lips: then I opened my mouth, and spake, and said unto him that stood before me, O my lord, by the vision my sorrows are turned upon me, and I have retained no strength.
Dan 10:17 For how can the servant of this my lord talk with this my lord? for as for me, straightway there remained no strength in me, neither is there breath left in me.

An article I read on it from this URL goes a bit into it, and there is also much unverifiable that could be fake, but it does happen.
http://carm.org/questions/about-church/what-does-it-mean-be-slain-spirit

The term "slain in the Spirit" is used in the Charismatic circles of Christian Churches to designate a supposed movement of the Holy Spirit upon a person. The claim is that the Holy Spirit moves with such power on a person, that the person is "slain." This does not mean the person dies, but that he/she is so overcome by the presence of the Spirit that he/she falls down to the ground being completely overcome.

Many evangelists have televised meetings where Christians gather. Some of these meetings have special times of healing or "receiving the Spirit." This is where the "evangelist," who is supposedly anointed to be able to do this, goes around putting his hand on peoples' foreheads causing them to fall down -- to be slain in the Spirit -- as they are overcome by the presence of the Holy Spirit. This display is unfortunate since it is unverifiable, ostentatious, and could very well be nothing more than the overcoming power of emotions of a person.

Blessings in Christ Jesus.

hello Eugene, dirtfarmer here

The reason that I ask is because of 1 Corinthians 14:32, " And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets." The little s that spirit is spelled with indicates the human spirit not the Holy Spirit. It is my belief that we have to yield to the Holy Spirit in order for him to work in us.

I can't speak to anyone elses experience but when I got saved and the Holy Spirit came to me my knees buckled and had it not been for the pew in front of me I would have been flat on the floor. Testimony to the power of the HS........

hello civilwarbuff, dirtfarmer here

I can't say yea or nay, but could it have been that you suddenly understood the weight of sin?

The reason that I ask is because of 1 Corinthians 14:32, " And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets."
I love that when referring to the many things we see in some of the assembly meeting we might attend at times.
Now we also read that God is not the author of confusion in 1Co 14:33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.
Have you experienced people rolling in the aisles. speaking out during the message in tongues, and maybe even prophesying in err? Brother, what God is saying is that that manner of things is upon those doing such things. Are they going to hell? I sure hope not, but they do need to learn propriety in the meetings which these scriptures seem to address. Even the women were hollering out to their husbands and were told to wait until they arrived home to learn something. I once attended a church that separated the men and women, and that was really was something.

I love that when referring to the many things we see in some of the assembly meeting we might attend at times.
Now we also read that God is not the author of confusion in 1Co 14:33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.
Have you experienced people rolling in the aisles. speaking out during the message in tongues, and maybe even prophesying in err? Brother, what God is saying is that that manner of things is upon those doing such things. Are they going to hell? I sure hope not, but they do need to learn propriety in the meetings which these scriptures seem to address. Even the women were hollering out to their husbands and were told to wait until they arrived home to learn something. I once attended a church that separated the men and women, and that was really was something.

Once when I was a child and it scared me.

Once when I was a child and it scared me.
I used to preach against receiving the Holy Spirit as an experience expressed by speaking in tongues. A teen girl in one of my classes had visited a church that believed that with a friend, and she asked about it. Long story short our whole class visited an assembly that did believe that, and everyone in the class, including my wife and children except the girl that asked, and one other girl received the Holy Spirit that night expressed by speaking in tongues. Could I continue preaching against something I now knew to be right? No, but those brethren that don't are every bit in Christ as I am.

I used to preach against receiving the Holy Spirit as an experience expressed by speaking in tongues. A teen girl in one of my classes had visited a church that believed that with a friend, and she asked about it. Long story short our whole class visited an assembly that did believe that, and everyone in the class, including my wife and children except the girl that asked, and one other girl received the Holy Spirit that night expressed by speaking in tongues. Could I continue preaching against something I now knew to be right? No, but those brethren that don't are every bit in Christ as I am.

Is speaking in tongues a sign? What was, is, the purpose of tongues?

Is speaking in tongues a sign? What was, is, the purpose of tongues?
1Co 14:22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign . . . to them that believe not.
Act 10:44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
Act 10:45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Act 10:46 For they heard them speak with tongues (a sign?), and magnify God.

Some pray in tongues without having the gift of interruption, but 1Co 14:14 says . . . if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful, and this is what many saw on TV years back.
To those who have received the gift of tongues, they were and can be used to edifying.
1Co 14:5 . . . that the church may receive edifying.
1Co 14:26 How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.

There will be certain ones: the twenty-four elders, and the four beasts of Rev 4:4 & Rev 4:6 present with Jesus prior to the temptation to come upon all the world, which is the first three and one-half years versus Jacob's trouble which is the second three and one-half years of tribulation.
In Rev 6:1, Rev 6:3, Rev 6:5, and Rev 6:7 we see the four beasts even involved in directing the judgments; they are not being judged as the seals are opened. :shrug

To me it answers your question as to whether there are certain ones of the Church caught up to Jesus prior to the tribulation. If you're not with Jesus here, the next rapture are those of the Church that come out of great tribulation told us in Rev 7:14-15. Right in these separate scriptures we see two different categories of reward bestowed on us as to our walk in Christ.

Rev 4:1-11
After the seven Churches received their messages John, who was in the Spirit, now sees twenty-four elders seated around the throne of God. The twenty-four elders in the heavenly sanctuary of God are responsible for worship, for the music of worship, and as such they stand as the gatekeepers of the house of God. The Elders in the Church here on earth are patterned after those in the heavenly realm, 1 Chronicles 24:7-19; 25:6-31; and 26:12-19. These elders are clothed in white raiment which represents Gods glory in them and they have gold crowns upon their heads as they are Gods royal priesthood. The elders are representative of Gods chosen generations that he has called out of darkness into his marvelous light, 2 Peter 2:9 that are asleep in the grave and those who remain alive as Gods witnesses during the seven trumpet soundings before Jesus returns.

Lightning’s, thundering and voices are that of the glory of God in all His power and authority. There are seven lamps of fire burning before the throne which are the seven spirits that are the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the Lord found in Isaiah 11:2. The seven spirits of God are given to the seven churches in the beginning of Revelation as the seven churches are representative of all who are in Christ to stay inline with the will of God.

The sea of glass that is liken unto crystal before the throne of God symbolizes Gods holiness and purity as in Exodus 24:10 where God is revealed in all his glory to the people of Israel and in Ezekiel 1:22-28 Ezekiel saw a vision of Gods throne. It's a place in our mind of peace and restful assurance in the presence of Gods full glory as we see him in all power and authority. God is our safe haven during times of persecution during the trials and tribulations we face as we always have the victory over Satan and his temptations, especially during the time of Gods wrath and the mark of the beast.

The four beasts around the throne are Seraphim that have six wings. Two wings to fly with, two wings to cover their feet and two wings to cover their faces. They fly around the throne of God singing his praises as they call attention to Gods attributes, Isaiah 6:1-3. The first beast was like a lion that represents Gods majesty and omnipotence. The second beast was likened unto an ox which is typical of faithful labor and patience. The third beast had a face of a man that indicates Gods intelligence and the fourth beast had a face like an eagle that represents supreme sovereignty. They give glory and honor and thanks to God who sits on his throne as only he alone is worthy of praise.

Hi Sister, do you think it strange that God had Paul use the verbiage he used to explain his experience of being caught up due to being slain in the Spirit?

Would that mean that the thief on the cross remains in the lower parts of the earth (Abraham’s bosom; the abode of the Old Testament righteous) where Jesus went with him the day He was crucified? According to scripture, were those cognizant of their surroundings?

Quoting Rev 4:1, and using the expression being caught up do you think John also was only slain in the Spirit? John said in
Rev 1:10 I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day (This is not Sunday), and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet,
:wave2

The term "slain in the Spirit" means falling to the ground as the power of God works through the Holy Spirit and engulfs you in the actual light of the glory of the Lord as He speaks to you. Some people will experience this like I have many times as well as others and some may never experience it at all as it's usually a special anointing from God for His purpose in you according to His will.

Below are the scriptures that speak about being slain in the Spirit:
Numbers 22:31; 2 Chronicles 5:14; Ezekiel 44:4; 1:28; Matthew 17:6; John 18:6; Rev 1:17

All who have physically died before us are only in the grave (lower parts of the earth) as only our breath/spirit goes back to God who gave it , Genesis 2:7; Ecc 12:7. John was only in the Spirit on the Lord's day as the angel of the Lord came to him and gave him all the visions in Revelation, Rev 1:1.

I have been in services like that and most of it is emotionalism and very little preaching takes place if any at all. The first time I went to one it scared the crap out of me. God has order in the assembling as the Spirit of God moves through those according to His purpose.

What is more emotion then His love for us?

I'm trying to remember a story from the bible; I think it was Jacob and Esau, where Jacob have I loved, and Esau have I hated. Was it Esau who sought repentance with tears and weeping, but God had none of it?

What is more emotion then His love for us?
Love is not an emotion.
That is Hollywood's version of love.
We are told to love our enemies. That means that we are to act toward them as we would act toward ourselves in spite of our emotional reactions to the enemy.
Love is demonstrated by the way that God acted toward mankind which, in spite of being God's enemies, Christ died for us because what we needed was for Christ to die in order to free us from the power of death and the sting of sin.
A person does not need to feel anything toward another person in order to act in love toward him.

In the following definition of love, you will not find a single reference to emotion.
1Co 13:4-8a (RSV)
Love is patient and kind; love is not jealous or boastful;
it is not arrogant or rude. Love does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful;
it does not rejoice at wrong, but rejoices in the right.
Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
Love never ends;

Emotions are unstable responses to our experiences and influenced by our prejudices, shortcomings, and sins. The can never be the basis for any kind of relationship though they are the normal reactions to most relationships.

I have prayed in tongues, but that was between me and the Lord, but it profits nothing if no one understands what you are saying, for it does not glorify the Body of Christ. (1 Cor. 14:5-7) I have been to a church that claimed they spoke tongues. All it did was disrupt the service and the Spirit in me did not recognize it as a Holy thing. It was always the women that claimed tongues. some of the women would squeal and laugh like someone in a mental state. If tongues do not glorify the body, they could be lying spirits (2 Chronicles 18:21-22) (1 Kings 22:23). Let me ask you a question Eugene, Were you impressed with everyone speaking in tongues or did you rejoice in the Lord? (1 Cor. 14:22). At Pentecost tongues were spoken in foreign languages so that the foreigners in Jerusalem would hear prophesying in their own language. (Acts 2:3-17)

Love is also an action word that leads to the emotions of our heart.
That is exactly it.
Scripture describes love as actions without reference to any emotional content.
There usually is emotional content but that is not the important part. The important part is doing what God commanded when he told us to Love. He wasn't telling us to feel all warm an fuzzy; He was telling us to feed the hungry, clothe the naked, shelter the stranger, visit the prisoner and the sick. Those are acts of love. Those are the things believers are commanded to do.

iakov the fool

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back