Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Sabbath day and its origin.

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Any Hebrew Lexicon...see Strong's 7965 or 7999 for starters...

Gesenius Hebrew Grammar says - whole, entire, healthy, sound...
usage, not definition
the word knife in Hebrew means stick.

paul was in prison. roman prisons were rather cruel. I bet he had some heatlth issues there. yet he was in the shalom of god. I have learned whether in sickness or in health to praise god.

paul said that. was he lacking shalom then? or what about the persecuted saints in the early church days? shalom doesn't mean that all the time. I wouldn't call the faithful jews in the time of the diaspora wealthy, or healthy. at times. many are the afflication of the saints. the bible doesn't say what you imply. shalom with god means you have peace with him. not peace in no trials.

the Hebrew greeting paul uses in the epistles is actually one word shalom

he says it this way. grace and peace unto. that is what shalom is in the greeting.

First off Jasonc, I do not think we are really saying anything very different. Just as the word Casa in Spanish means house, Shalom in Hebrew means wholeness, completion, peace, etc., this does not mean there will be a lack of adversity or strife as the world sees peace, but that even amidst adversity or strife we have shalom...as you said, shalom FROM God, the shalom OF God, and shalom with God....because of our remission of sin, out justification, our reconciliation (all of which is because of what He did for us)...

ok, we are clear, theres Is another view of shalom that is incorrect in that shalom means prosperity and wealth. It can at times because god blessed Abraham and others with that but that isn't a promise that if we serve god we will have wealth.

also when you read peace on earth and goodwill toward men.

" shalom" that is how I see that. if god said shalom and appears we would on our faces in dread and fear. isn't that what happened?

Interestingly, the focus on the Sabbath day migrated to the focus on the shalom "day". :)

How about focusing on this:

And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;
Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;
In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

and this:

Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?
Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?

we were discussing the definition of shalom. its relavant as well shabat Is in the torah and we are discussing torah.

The "shalom day"????

The Shalom "day" is presumably a day of discussing the definition of shalom. :)

we were discussing the definition of shalom. its relavant as well shabat Is in the torah and we are discussing torah.

I understand this, Jason. Torah is great. We are not even close to understanding Torah. Right? Lets take this:

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.
And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

genesis to deuteromony all there in is torah. sorry, that is both in Christianity and Judaism. if you cant see the influence of mosaic law in the accounts in genesis then you aren't reading it.

on the seventh day god rested. hmm where is the command in the torah to rest from work? exodus!

Yes the word "shabbat" and the command for Israel to observe it on the 7th day first appears in Exodus 16....in Deuteronomy 5 we find it is given as part of the Covenant made at Horeb with the children of Israel, and that it was not given to their fathers (Deut. 5:3)...their fathers being Adam, Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, and so forth. Thus we can deduce according to God's word that the observance of the 7th day Sabbath was not required before this time, and when it was given, the children of Israel were commanded to rest on the 7th day and convocate in their homes in remembrance of the Lord...("Holy" meaning set apart by God according to His purpose)...

Notice however, they are not commanded to all go to one place (like the Tabernacle/Temple/Synagogue/Church) to gather there for corporate worship. That custom only became tradition after the great synagogue necessity which developed during Judah's captivity in Babylon...and it thus became their manner (a cultural norm) but was nowhere before that commanded or required or even practiced by the observant children of Israel anywhere in the Law or the Prophets. In the New Covenant, doing so is fine (for we shall not judge one another on what day we keep), but also nowhere required or commanded by God.

In is love

brother Paul

Sabbath is a permission, or even an invitation to life. It is not a command, as I think.

Unless you can command someone to live.

Sorry Sourberry, I just do not get your associations (I do not see them in the Scripture)...

Sabbath = permission?

Sabbath = not a command?

Sabbath = an invitation to life?

And God CAN command dry bones and they shall stand up and live...

Where do you get your information? Just curious...

Sabbat is a violation of:

And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;
Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;
In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

I can only share my thoughts, which is in my heart.

Back