Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

The Sabbath day was made for man, not man for the Sabbath

You are speaking of the oral law, the commandements of men, not the Law of Moses.

The commandments of men?

22 And so it was, on the sixth day, that they gathered twice as much bread, two omers for each one. And all the rulers of the congregation came and told Moses. 23 Then he said to them, “This is what the LORD has said: ‘Tomorrow is a Sabbath rest, a holy Sabbath to the LORD. Bake what you will bake today, and boil what you will boil; and lay up for yourselves all that remains, to be kept until morning.’ ” 24 So they laid it up till morning, as Moses commanded; and it did not stink, nor were there any worms in it. 25 Then Moses said, “Eat that today, for today is a Sabbath to the LORD; today you will not find it in the field. 26 Six days you shall gather it, but on the seventh day, the Sabbath, there will be none.”
27 Now it happened that some of the people went out on the seventh day to gather, but they found none. 28 And the LORD said to Moses, “How long do you refuse to keep My commandments and My laws? Exodus 16:22-28

This is the first time the Sabbath was mentioned in the bible.

The Sabbath was not mentioned in Genesis, nor did God instruct Adam about any Sabbath commandments.

Please show us where Jesus instructed His disciples to observe the Sabbath.

No, God voided the Old Covenant in Jer 31.31 “The days are coming,” declares the Lord,
“when I will make a new covenant
with the people of Israel
and with the people of Judah.
32 It will not be like the covenant

I made with their ancestors
And it isn't, but once again, just because it is new, doesn't mean it made void all of the old.

So we agree then.

Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven
No, we don't agree. Christ applied the Law of Moses only while it was still in effect for Israel. It was intended to be obeyed until he supplied his Eternal Sacrifice, which would nullify any need for sacrifices under the Law.

Again, Jesus said that the Law was for all generations of Israel, up until heaven and earth passed away. But today, it is only still valid as a testimony to the fact Christ alone is our Eternal Sacrifice--not the sacrifices of the Law.

The Law failed as a system, and the testimony of Israel's failure under the Law stands forever. The only way out is by the fulfillment Christ provided in his death on the cross. Otherwise, the eternal testimony of the Law is that all men must die. All Israel must die.

teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” [d]Amen.

Please show us where Jesus instructed His disciples to observe the Sabbath.
For the third time now.

19 Whosoever (((((therefore shall break one of these least commandments,))))) and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven

20 teaching them to observe (((all ))) things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” [d]Amen.

And it isn't, but once again, just because it is new, doesn't mean it made void all of the old.
Then you're not reading it. It says it is a different law, which by default means that the previous law is no longer being required. That is precisely how the letter of Hebrews interprets it.

Heb 8.13 By calling this covenantnew,” he has made the first one obsolete

Then you're not reading it. It says it is a different law,

Where does it say "A DIFFERENT LAW"

31 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the Lord:

33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the Lord: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

Where does it say "A DIFFERENT LAW"

31 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the Lord:

33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the Lord: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.
I just shared it with you. By stating that a new covenant would come, by default it means that the previous one couldn't possibly still be in play. One makes the earlier "obsolete," as the writer of Hebrews said.

Do you own some secret text that proclaims this, if so enlighten me. It's not written in my Bible, but if you think for one second that Adam only had one law, not to eat of the tree? I would offer this scripture.

You are the one that quoted Genesis 2:2-3 for your proof text that we are to keep the Sabbath from sundown on friday to sundown on Saturday.

Now I have asked to from the scripture you yourself quoted to show us where God gave instructions to Adam about keeping the Sabbath.

Here is the question that prompted you to post about Genesis 2 -
Could you clarify for us what you specifically mean by “observing” the Sabbath?

Here is your response to my question about clarifying what "observe" the Sabbath means.
Do you rest from all the work you have accomplished during previous 6 days, like God did on the 7th day.

Gen 2:2-3
2 On the seventh day God completed the work he had been doing; he rested on the seventh day from all the work he had undertaken.
3 God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work he had done in creation.

So again, from Genesis 2:2-3 please show us where God instructed Adam to observe the Sabbath.

If you can not, then why did you post Genesis 2:2-3 as your proof of observing the Sabbath.

So far you have failed to show even one single scripture about Adam or the church observing the Sabbath.

JLB

Back to the topic at hand.

Why do you or don't you remember the Sabbath and keep it holy.

Where does Jesus teach us to keep the Sabbath?

Where does Paul teach us to keep the Sabbath?

Please define what it means to keep the Sabbath?

Please use scripture from the New Testament.

So again, from Genesis 2:2-3 please show us where God instructed Adam to observe the Sabbath
I never said that, you did.

The Sabbath was holy since the 7th day of creation.

It was observed before the law of moses was given.

Job is thought by many to fit chronologically in between Genesis 11–12. He would have been an early patriarch, so yes older than Moses.

Job 1:4

4 His sons used to hold feasts in their homes on their birthdays, and they would invite their three sisters to eat and drink with them. 5 When a period of feasting had run its course, Job would make arrangements for them to be purified. Early in the morning he would sacrifice a burnt offering for each of them, thinking, “Perhaps my children have sinned and cursed God in their hearts.” This was Job’s regular custom.

Please use scripture from the New Testament
2 Timothy 3:16
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

What's wrong with the OT

I never said that, you did.

You used Genesis 2:2-3 as your scripture about observing the Sabbath, when there is nothing there about Adam, or Mankind receiving any instruction about observing the Sabbath.

Now you are trying to back out of the scripture you quoted.

Humblepie said:
Do you rest from all the work you have accomplished during previous 6 days, like God did on the 7th day.

Gen 2:2-3
2 On the seventh day God completed the work he had been doing; he rested on the seventh day from all the work he had undertaken.
3 God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work he had done in creation.

Again, there is nothing about observing the Sabbath in this scripture you gave.

Where does Paul teach us to keep the Sabbath?
Acts 13:13-41: Paul and Barnabas went to the synagogue on Sabbath in Antioch and explained to the people about Jesus being the Messiah.

Acts 17:2: Paul reasoned with the people in Thessalonica from the Scriptures for three Sabbaths.

Acts 18:4: Paul reasoned in the synagogue in Corinth every Sabbath and persuaded both Jews and Greeks.

Acts 16:13–15: Paul, Silas, and Timothy baptized people on the Sabbath day.

Hebrews 4: Some of Paul's teaching about the Sabbath is recorded in Hebrews 4.

Paul in Corinth
Again, we see that Paul's habit was to observe the Sabbath by going to the synagogue “every” Sabbath. He told the Corinthians to imitate or follow his actions, including keeping the Sabbath, just as he imitated or followed Christ's (1 Corinthians 11:1).

You define it, you have a bible.

ok

13 And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses, 14 having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross. 15 Having disarmed principalities and powers, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them in it.
So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths, 17 which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ. 18 Let no one cheat you of your reward, taking delight in false humility and worship of angels, intruding into those things which he has not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind, 19 and not holding fast to the Head, from whom all the body, nourished and knit together by joints and ligaments, grows with the increase that is from God. Colossians 2:13-19

The weekly Sabbath is a shadow of things to come.

Jesus nor Paul ever commanded or instructed the Church to observe the weekly Sabbath, because it's a shadow of something to come.

If I am wrong then prove it by quoting a scripture from Paul or Jesus about the Church being instructed to observe the Sabbath and how.

Back