Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Saving results of the Death of Christ !

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
In order to show the long suffering God has toward those who sin against him, yes. Otherwise no.
Can you see that what men did to Gods' Son is disgusting to God? Are you a parent? Wouldn't you be filled with rage if someone attacked your child for no good reason?

Who of you doth convict me of sin? Jn.8:46

And he that sent me is with me: the Father hath not left me alone; for I do always those things that please him. Jn.8:29
Im out, you not making a lick of sense to me. Just know this, People who Christ died for, He redeemed them from the curse of the law, so none of them shall suffer this plight Matt 25:41

41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

They suffer this because Jesus didnt die for them and redeem them from the curse !

Im out, you not making a lick of sense to me.
What's difficult to understand about God being angry at the sin inflicted on his Son?

If I sent my son to help sinners, but they killed him, I'd be angry.
Just know this, People who Christ died for, He redeemed them from the curse of the law, so none of them shall suffer this plight Matt 25:41

41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

They suffer this because Jesus didnt die for them and redeem them from the curse !
That's not the reason Jesus gave. Read Mt.25:42-45

Christ did so much more than dying for sin and making Salvation possible or available to all mankind, that's such a false teaching, However what He did do for them He died for, Gods Elect, He absolutely obtained for them eternal redemption Heb 9:12

12 Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.

Not made it available, or merely possible, He obtained it for them, and brings them into the realization of it.

The word redemption here lutrósis:

lýtrōsis (a feminine noun) – properly, the payment of the full ransom-price to free a slave – particularly the redemption of an individual.

This redemption frees the sinner from being a slave to sin, to obeying the Truth Rom 6:17

17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants or slave of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.

God must be thanked for being made free from being a slave of sin unto obedience, because He sent Christ to obtain eternal redemption for them ! 24

Christ did so much more than dying for sin and making Salvation possible or available to all mankind, thats such a false teaching, However what He did do for them He died for, Gods Elect, He absolutely redeemed them unto God, by His Blood observe Rev 5:9

9 And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation;

To be redeemed to God is Salvation, or why the New Song ? 25

Christs saving death is saving/salvation because it gives life, and that more abundantly. Jn 10:10-11

10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they[Sheep] might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

11 I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.

Notice in Vs 10 that Jesus says specifically of His Sheep, that the reason why He came into the world was so that they might [ as in purpose] have life, not to offer life to them, but so they may have it, experience it, and that in a abundant manner. Then He gives us in Vs 11 the cause and ground of that giving them life, because He giveth His Life [meaning His substitutionary death] for them the Sheep. His death for them, ensures them having [experientially] life and that more in abundant.

That word abundantly in Vs 10 is the word perissos and means:

1. exceeding some number or measure or rank or need
    1. over and above, more than is necessary, superadded
      1. exceeding abundantly, supremely
      2. something further, more, much more than all, more plainly
    2. superior, extraordinary, surpassing, uncommon
      1. pre-eminence, superiority, advantage, more eminent, more remarkable, more excellent

This is speaking of Spiritual life, so Christs death ensures the spiritual abundant life. This is also what Christ meant when He spake these words in Jn 6:33

For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world.

The world here is not all without exception, but His Sheep World, all without distinction.

Both Faith and Repentance are the fruit of Christs Death and our reconciliation to Him. All for whom He died have been reconciled to God Rom 5:10

10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

So that reconciliation will be manifested by us returning to God, which entails Faith and Repentance. Peter writes of that here 1 Pet 2:24-25

24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

25 For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.

The word returned here is the word epistrephō:

And its in the passive voice,

1. to cause to return, to bring back
    1. to the love and obedience of God
    2. to the love for the children
    3. to love wisdom and righteousness

This is describing our conversion in Faith and repentance towards God. The saving death of Christ is responsible for our turning to God.25

The results of the saving death of Christ is redemptive and so it effects the gathering of all Gods chosen people from around the world Ps 107:1-3

O give thanks unto the Lord, for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever.

2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;

3 And gathered them out of the lands, from the east, and from the west, from the north, and from the south.

Remember the high priest words in Jn 11 how that Christ should die and gather the children of God scattered abroad, and not just from the nation israel ? Jn 11:50-52

50 Nor consider that it is expedient for us, that one man should die for the people, and that the whole nation perish not.

51 And this spake he not of himself: but being high priest that year, he prophesied that Jesus should die for that nation;

52 And not for that nation only, but that also he should gather together in one the children of God that were scattered abroad.

This gathering together of the people of God is the fruit and success of the redemptive , saving death of Christ.

All for whom Christ died will be born again anew. When He died, those He died for were in union with Him, similar to how when Adam sin and died they died with him because in union with him. And so likewise when Christ was raised from the dead, they in union with Him were raised also with Him, and it will be made evident by giving them also newness of life, or the new birth.

Rom 6:4-5

4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:

Now if we dont believe in this union with Christ, when He died, we died , when He arose with Him in union, then , if we believe in water baptism, that's what we are publicly saying, that we were in union with Him, as He was our federal representative. And so His resurrection from the dead typifies our sure spiritual resurrection from the dead into newness of life ! So blessed are they who have part in the first resurrection !25

The regeneration of those that Christ died for, is due to Christs resurrection from the dead, Peter writes 1 Pet 1:3

3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

The prep "by" here is dia and means:

: through, throughout, by the instrumentality of, (b) acc: through, on account of, by reason of, for the sake of, because of.

The words begotten us again is the word anagennaó:

/aná, "up, again," which intensifies 1080 /gennáō, "give birth") – properly, born-again or "born from on high."

313 /anagennáō ("born again, from above") is used twice in the NT (1 Pet 1:3,23) – both times referring to God regenerating a believer (giving a supernatural, new birth).

to produce again, beget again, beget anew; metaphorically: τινα, thoroughly to change the mind of one, so that he lives a new life and one conformed to the will of God, 1 Peter 1:3;

Strong's Greek: 313. ἀναγεννάω (anagennaó) -- to beget again

Thats were our believing comes from, thats part of the newness of life

Christs death put away our sins, hence justice satisfied, new life is given !

Christs Death produces Saving results because its the death that effects the Blood of the New Covenant. Matt 26:28

28 For this is my blood of the new testament/covenant, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

This New Covenant Death has promises connected to it, these promises are unconditional, not conditioned on what the recipients [the many] have to meet, For Christ met all the conditions.

Under the Old Covenant, the recipients broke that Covenant Heb 8:7-12

7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.

8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:

9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.

Jer 31:32

Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the Lord:

So this covenant has no conditions to perform, and its saving because it effects #1 Remission/forgiveness of sins. No conditions, because God has promised to forgive all their sins:

Heb 8:12

12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.

This is the same forgiveness spoken of in Matt 26:28

28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

Those for whom Christ died, are ensured of Salvation because He liveth to make intercession for them.

Rom 8:32-34

32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things[That effect our salvation]?

33 Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth.

34 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.

Nothing in this chain events has anything to do with what the sinner did.

Those who Christ died for are automatically beneficiaries of His Intercession for them

Isa 53:12

12 Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.

If you notice He made intercession for not believers, but transgressors. and why? Because for them He poured out his soul unto death.

The word transgressors mean: to rebel, transgress, revolt

Heb 7:25

25 Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.

So those He died for, He lives evermore, makes intercession for them, which ensures them being saved to the uttermost.

Therefore, all for whom Christ died, and rose again in behalf of, He intercedes for them, ensuring their conversion.25

Christs Intercession and Advocacy are efficacious benefits for any and all for whom Christ died 1 Jn 2:1-2

My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

Being a propitiation for our sins is another way of saying He died for us, so He lives to be our Intercessor and Advocate/paraklētos.

1. one who pleads another's cause before a judge, a pleader, counsel for defense, legal assistant, an advocate
  2. one who pleads another's cause with one, an intercessor
    1. of Christ in his exaltation at God's right hand, pleading with God the Father for the pardon of our sins

He can successfully plea on behalf of those He died for, because the sins they are committing He has satisfied Gods Justice for

One of the saving results or effects of the Death of Christ, its to give everyone He died for deliverance from the prison of unbelief.

Isa 42:6-7

6 I the Lord have called thee in righteousness, and will hold thine hand, and will keep thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles;

7 To open the blind eyes, to bring out the prisoners from the prison, and them that sit in darkness out of the prison house.
All of Gods Elect, Chosen People are by nature in a prison of unbelief/disobedience, that's what Paul tells us here Rom 11:32

32 For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.

The word concluded here is a word denoting imprisonment, shutting up, enclosing, its the word

συγκλείω:

1. to shut up together, enclose
    1. of a shoal of fishes in a net
  2. to shut up on all sides, shut up completely
John Gill writes on Isa 42:7

To open the blind eyes,.... Of the idolatrous Gentiles, who were spiritually blind, and knew not the wretchedness of their case; the exceeding sinfulness of sin; their need of a Saviour, and who he was; as they did, when their eyes were opened by means of the Gospel sent among them, through the energy of the divine Spirit; for this is a work of almighty power and efficacious grace:
to bring out the prisoners from the prison; who were concluded in sin, shut up in unbelief, and under the law, the captives of Satan, and held fast prisoners by him and their own lusts, under the dominion of which they were:

and them that sit in darkness out of the prison house: of sin, Satan, and the law; being under which, they were in a state of darkness and ignorance as to things divine and spiritual. The allusion is to prisons, which are commonly dark places. Vitringa, by the "prisoners", understands the Jews shut up under the law; and by those in "darkness" the Gentiles, destitute of all divine knowledge.

One of the saving results or effects of the Death of Christ, its to give everyone He died for deliverance from the prison of unbelief.

Isa 42:6-7

6 I the Lord have called thee in righteousness, and will hold thine hand, and will keep thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles;

7 To open the blind eyes, to bring out the prisoners from the prison, and them that sit in darkness out of the prison house.
All of Gods Elect, Chosen People are by nature in a prison of unbelief/disobedience, that's what Paul tells us here Rom 11:32

32 For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.

The word concluded here is a word denoting imprisonment, shutting up, enclosing, its the word

συγκλείω:

1. to shut up together, enclose
    1. of a shoal of fishes in a net
  2. to shut up on all sides, shut up completely
John Gill writes on Isa 42:7

To open the blind eyes,.... Of the idolatrous Gentiles, who were spiritually blind, and knew not the wretchedness of their case; the exceeding sinfulness of sin; their need of a Saviour, and who he was; as they did, when their eyes were opened by means of the Gospel sent among them, through the energy of the divine Spirit; for this is a work of almighty power and efficacious grace:
to bring out the prisoners from the prison; who were concluded in sin, shut up in unbelief, and under the law, the captives of Satan, and held fast prisoners by him and their own lusts, under the dominion of which they were:

and them that sit in darkness out of the prison house: of sin, Satan, and the law; being under which, they were in a state of darkness and ignorance as to things divine and spiritual. The allusion is to prisons, which are commonly dark places. Vitringa, by the "prisoners", understands the Jews shut up under the law; and by those in "darkness" the Gentiles, destitute of all divine knowledge.
I gave you a Like.
But the last sentence is disturbing to me.

As Romans 2 states, man has always known about God.
Knowledge of the Divine.
Perhaps the knowledge was not great, but it was enough for Paul to tell us that man is without excuse.
He's without excuse because he always had the ability to reply to God with either a Yes or a No.

Ditto with the gospel. It is powerful, amen.
But not everyone will accept it.
Only those that come to believe will be saved.
Galatians 2:20
I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
1 Peter 3:18
For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit.

This reminds me of
John 12:32
"And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to Myself."

wondering

As Romans 2 states, man has always known about God.
Knowledge of the Divine.

Yes, about God, but they didnt know God in and through Lord Jesus Christ. Our knowledge of God before Salvation is merely externally and as He is the Creator, and such knowledge like that only spirals into Idolatry As Romans points out 1:18-32

19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.

20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.

24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:

25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:

27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,

30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,

31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:

32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

Now only Christ can give a True Spiritual Knowledge of the True God, and Jesus Christ Jn 17:2-3

2 As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.

3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

Christs Death was a Covenant Honoring Death, and it secured sure benefits unto them He died for,

Ezk 36:25-28

25 Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.

26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

28 And ye shall dwell in the land that I gave to your fathers; and ye shall be my people, and I will be your God.

wondering

Yes, about God, but they didnt know God in and through Lord Jesus Christ. Our knowledge of God before Salvation is merely externally and as He is the Creator, and such knowledge like that only spirals into Idolatry As Romans points out 1:18-32

Agreed. "They" did not know God as we know God because it was before there was any written word, let alone Christ.
But it sounds like you're saying that ALL those who "thought" they knew God became idolatrous. This is not what Romans is stating.

19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.

You left out verse 18....regarding God's anger. I think it's important.
Romans 1:18
18The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness,

God's wrath is toward those that SUPPRESS the truth by their wickedness.
God is not mad at everyone - only those that suppress the truth.

Verse 19: God is mad because He has made it known to them.
20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

Men are without excuse because God's power can be understood by the things made.

Those that do NOT choose God are without excuse because God is evident to all, though all will not choose. Him.

21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

Because, THOUGH THEY KNEW GOD, they (the men who said No) did not glorify God -even though they knew Him as in verse 20, nor did they thank Him, but their thinking became futile and their hearts were darkened.

Also, note that their hearts BECAME DARKENED....
The reformed believe everyone is born with a darkened heart.
This is not confirmed by Paul.
22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.

Simple. They glorified idols instead.
But who?
Those that did not accept God.
They were without excuse.
Because God gave to all the opportunity to know Him.

24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:

25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:

27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,

30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,

31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:

32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

Now only Christ can give a True Spiritual Knowledge of the True God, and Jesus Christ Jn 17:2-3

2 As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.

3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.
Let's look at Romans 2:5-8 which is a continuation of the above...
5But because of your stubbornness and your unrepentant heart, you are storing up wrath against yourself for the day of God’s wrath, when his righteous judgment will be revealed.
6God “will repay each person according to what they have done.” a
7To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life.
8But for those who are self-seeking and who reject the truth and follow evil, there will be wrath and anger.

So you see, verses 7 and 8 attest to the fact that Romans 1:18-32 is not speaking of everyone, but to those who DO NOT suppress the truth, and to those THAT DO.

Back