Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The second death

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Many are of the opinion that hell/lake of burning sulfur, is eternal. However, in (Rev. 21:8) it clearly states it is the "second death".
(Rm. 6:23) also says the wages of sin is "death". Too, if the second death is not the penalty for sin, then why did Christ go to the cross?

I tend to see the lake of fire as being more analogous the the cloud of fire that descended upon Mountain as recorded in the Book of Exodus, the Spirit of the Lord was going to write his laws within their hearts when they came up the mountain; But they did not go up the mountain as they were fearful of the fire, they were fearful of the voice. They were afraid of Death, for to look upon God was Death. Instead, they chose to follow Moses, and all that they commanded.

Why did Christ go to the Cross? When the children of Israel's fear of death kept them from going up the mountain to receive the words of the Lord, being that it was seen as a mountain burning with fire thundering.., He sent His Son to speak to them the words that they would not receive in the face of the great fire. That Word comes in the Spirit of Christ, that he may write his laws into our hearts. Yet some still prefer obedience to the written word.

But why the crucification and resurrection? So that we might know and worship His Spirit rather than worship for a God the image of a man. To come to the resurrection in Christ, we must also face our death in Christ, as the children who saw that great mountain burning with fire. This is the first Death. All were baptized into His Death, but not all have received His Word, and they are not found written in the book of life. They will be judged before that Mountain of Fire, or Lake if you will, but this is the Second Death.

Hebrews 12:18-24
For ye are not come unto the mount that might be touched, and that burned with fire, nor unto blackness, and darkness, and tempest, And the sound of a trumpet, and the voice of words; which voice they that heard intreated that the word should not be spoken to them any more: (For they could not endure that which was commanded, And if so much as a beast touch the mountain, it shall be stoned, or thrust through with a dart: And so terrible was the sight, that Moses said, I exceedingly fear and quake:)
But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels, To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect, And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.

Deuteronomy 18:15-19
The LORD thy God will raise up unto thee a Prophet from the midst of thee, of thy brethren, like unto me; unto him ye shall hearken; According to all that thou desiredst of the LORD thy God in Horeb in the day of the assembly, saying, Let me not hear again the voice of the LORD my God, neither let me see this great fire any more, that I die not. And the LORD said unto me, They have well spoken that which they have spoken. I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him. And it shall come to pass, that whosoever will not hearken unto my words which he shall speak in my name, I will require it of him.

John 12:48
He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.

They will be judged before that Mountain of Fire, or Lake if you will, but this is the Second Death.
What do you mean, when you say, "they will be judged before that Mountain of Fire?

Do you belief the wicked will suffer for eternity in the lake of fire, or as you say the second death?

Christ will decided during the pre-advent judgement which is ongoing now, as to who will be saved or lost. God has predetermined events during the tribulation in which the living will determine their own destiny based on whether they choose the seal of God, or the Mark of the beast.

At the end of the thousand years between the first and second resurrection, God returns to earth with the saints within New Jerusalem. At this time the wicked are raised to face God before the "Great White Throne Judgement."

Question, If it was decided before Christ came at His second coming as to who was saved or lost what is the point of raising the wicked to stand before Christ in the Great White Throne Judgement?

What do you mean, when you say, "they will be judged before that Mountain of Fire?

I'm not sure why you need to ask what do I mean, did you not read the few scriptures I referenced in my post?
A lake of fire, a mountain burning with fire. When the first temple was dedicated, the temple of Solomon, how were those sacrifices and offerings received? God is said to be a consuming fire, how might the glory of the Lord appear?

Do you belief the wicked will suffer for eternity in the lake of fire, or as you say the second death?

I don't believe I have ever inferred the idea of eternal suffering. I know that is a theology held by some, but not one I espouse. Eternal shame, well there may be something there.

At the end of the thousand years between the first and second resurrection, God returns to earth with the saints within New Jerusalem. At this time the wicked are raised to face God before the "Great White Throne Judgement."

Question, If it was decided before Christ came at His second coming as to who was saved or lost what is the point of raising the wicked to stand before Christ in the Great White Throne Judgement?

The scripture does NOT identify a second resurrection, it is only inferred as a second resurrection.

Revelation 20:6
Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

Again, the second resurrection is not specifically mentioned, it is only inferred as such; but this resurrection comes after facing the second death. Christ is the first resurrection, and his resurrection as recored occurred 2,000 years ago. All those who have been raised in the faith of Christ throughout the generations hath part in the first resurrection. But before they were made part of the first resurrection, they were made part of the first death, which death was Christ, for all have been baptized into his Death.

Romans 6:3
Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

We have first death, which is the judgement of the Son.
We have the first resurrection, which is the resurrection of the Son and those who overcome through faith.
We have the Second Death, which is the judgement of the Father, according to your works under the law.
Then we have what is inferred to be the second resurrection, which would be the resurrection of the Father.

John 5:21-29
For as the Father raiseth up the dead, and quickeneth them; even so the Son quickeneth whom he will. For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son: That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him. Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life. Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live. For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself; And hath given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man. Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.
The hour is coming, and now is. It is past, it is present, it is future. The hour comes upon each generation to hear the voice of the Son of God, and they that hear shall live, and shall come forth, and have part in the first resurrection. But those who reject the voice of the Son to follow the works of the law, well the rest of the dead lived not until the thousand years are finished: The second death, the great white throne, the consuming fire, the judgement of the Father, unto the resurrection of judgement (damnation, Gr. krisis - judgement, condemnation).

Of course you all can write posts on this each one speculating on the details, none of which anyone knows with any degree of accuracy unless you’ve been there for a short time. If Jesus were to write a post, I think he’d say,

Just make sure you don’t go there!

Back