Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

The Ten Commandments

Mike

What's the 2nd Commandment? And the 3rd? And the 4th?

I was very surprised to learn something today that I've never known! I was asked to fill in as a small group leader for the teens in our confirmation program, and they're covering the Ten Commandments. This week, they were discussing the 4th Commandment.

I'm a member of the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod.

I've always known the 4th Commandment was to remember the Sabbath day, but there it was on the discussion sheet, "Honor your father and your mother". Never having known that there were differences in the commandments, I thought someone made an awkward mistake on the sheet I was holding. To my amazement, I came to learn that the Catholic church did not acknowledge the now Protestant 2nd Commandment, "You shall not make for yourself an idol...". The Lutheran church continued with this, and I'm not sure when Exodus 20:4 came to be the "Protestant" 2nd Commandment. I've seen it as the 2nd for as long as I remember.

I found this chart on line that shows the Jewish, Catholic and Protestant Ten Commandments. This isn't to get on the RCC, but I have an idea why the Catholic Church would not like to regard verse 4 as a Commandment. I'm still very surprised that the Lutheran church would not adjust.

<table width="93%" border="1"><tbody><tr><td width="5%">
</td> <td width="31%" bgcolor="#FFFF99">
Jewish
</td> <td width="31%" bgcolor="#66FFFF">
Catholic
</td> <td width="32%" bgcolor="#CCFFCC">
Protestant*
</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="5%">
I
</td> <td width="31%" bgcolor="#FFFF99">
I am the Lord your G-d who has taken you out of the land of Egypt.
</td> <td width="31%" bgcolor="#66FFFF">
I, the Lord, am your God. You shall not have other gods besides me.
</td> <td width="32%" bgcolor="#CCFFCC">
You shall have no other gods but me.
</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="5%" align="center">II</td> <td width="31%" align="center" bgcolor="#FFFF99"> You shall have no other gods but me.</td> <td width="31%" align="center" bgcolor="#66FFFF"> You shall not take the name of the Lord, your God, in vain.</td> <td width="32%" align="center" bgcolor="#CCFFCC"> You shall not make unto you any graven images.</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="5%" align="center">III</td> <td width="31%" align="center" bgcolor="#FFFF99"> You shall not take the name of the Lord your G-d in vain.</td> <td width="31%" align="center" bgcolor="#66FFFF"> Remember to keep holy the Lord's Day.</td> <td width="32%" align="center" bgcolor="#CCFFCC"> You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain.</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="5%" align="center">
IV
</td> <td width="31%" align="center" bgcolor="#FFFF99"> You shall remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy.</td> <td width="31%" align="center" bgcolor="#66FFFF"> Honor your father and your mother.</td> <td width="32%" align="center" bgcolor="#CCFFCC"> You shall remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy.</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="5%" align="center">V</td> <td width="31%" align="center" bgcolor="#FFFF99"> Honor your mother and father.</td> <td width="31%" align="center" bgcolor="#66FFFF"> You shall not kill.</td> <td width="32%" align="center" bgcolor="#CCFFCC"> Honor your mother and father.</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="5%" align="center">VI</td> <td width="31%" align="center" bgcolor="#FFFF99"> You shall not murder.</td> <td width="31%" align="center" bgcolor="#66FFFF"> You shall not commit adultery.</td> <td width="32%" align="center" bgcolor="#CCFFCC"> You shall not murder.</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="5%" align="center">VII</td> <td width="31%" align="center" bgcolor="#FFFF99"> You shall not commit adultery.</td> <td width="31%" align="center" bgcolor="#66FFFF"> You shall not steal.</td> <td width="32%" align="center" bgcolor="#CCFFCC"> You shall not commit adultery.</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="5%" align="center">VIII</td> <td width="31%" align="center" bgcolor="#FFFF99"> You shall not steal. </td> <td width="31%" align="center" bgcolor="#66FFFF"> You shall not bear false witness.</td> <td width="32%" align="center" bgcolor="#CCFFCC"> You shall not steal.</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="5%" align="center">IX</td> <td width="31%" align="center" bgcolor="#FFFF99"> You shall not bear false witness.</td> <td width="31%" align="center" bgcolor="#66FFFF"> You shall not covet your neighbor's wife.</td> <td width="32%" align="center" bgcolor="#CCFFCC"> You shall not bear false witness.</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="5%" align="center">X</td> <td width="31%" align="center" bgcolor="#FFFF99"> You shall not covet anything that belongs to your neighbor.</td> <td width="31%" align="center" bgcolor="#66FFFF"> You shall not covet your neighbor's goods.</td> <td width="32%" align="center" bgcolor="#CCFFCC"> You shall not covet anything that belongs to your neighbor.</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
Who knew about this difference? Who knows when and how 20:4 became the 2nd commandment?

Never having known that there were differences in the commandments, I thought someone made an awkward mistake on the sheet I was holding. To my amazement, I came to learn that the Catholic church did not acknowledge the now Protestant 2nd Commandment, "You shall not make for yourself an idol...". The Lutheran church continued with this, and I'm not sure when Exodus 20:4 came to be the "Protestant" 2nd Commandment. I've seen it as the 2nd for as long as I remember.
There are six different Bibles and 38,000 denominations but I didn't know there are actually different versions of the Ten Commandments. I would have thought that if anything at least these would be the same up through the ages. Thought-provoking post! :)

There are six different Bibles and 38,000 denominations but I didn't know there are actually different versions of the Ten Commandments. I would have thought that if anything at least these would be the same up through the ages. Thought-provoking post! :)
You'd be amazed at how different the beliefs and customs of the church are from what is actually in the Bible.

They aren't as different as they initially appear. If you simply read them straight down you'll find that they are the same commandment simply divided at different places. For example the Catholic First Commandment includes the text from both the First and Second Jewish Commandments. At the same time the text from both the Catholic Ninth and Tenth Commandments are incorporated in the Jewish Tenth Commandment. Everything's there in all versions, it's simply presented differently.

2.1: This is a Christian site, therefore, any attempt to put down Christianity and the basic tenets of our Faith will be considered a hostile act.

It depends on how you look at it. I tend to take Jesus' "the Sabbath is for man" stance to mean we're allowed to do things that we truly enjoy, we just can't work. This is like kicking back and watching football wall stuffing pizza in my face. Well, not quite that good.

They aren't as different as they initially appear. If you simply read them straight down you'll find that they are the same commandment simply divided at different places. For example the Catholic First Commandment includes the text from both the First and Second Jewish Commandments. At the same time the text from both the Catholic Ninth and Tenth Commandments are incorporated in the Jewish Tenth Commandment. Everything's there in all versions, it's simply presented differently.

Ummm... Not the same. There's no verse 4 represented in the middle version. It's just odd to me and something I never knew... different Ten Commandments.

It doesn't need to be more than it is, though. The text is still the same in the Word when I use my NIV.

Ummm... Not the same. There's no verse 4 represented in the middle version. It's just odd to me and something I never knew... different Ten Commandments.

It doesn't need to be more than it is, though. The text is still the same in the Word when I use my NIV.

The 4th commandment in the Jewish and Protestant commandments is the 3rd commandment for Catholics.

You shall remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy = Remember to keep holy the Lord's Day.

Thanks for the heads-up I'll check better. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Commandments. I can't believe Moses actually broke something written by God just because he got mad... if it was me I would have held unto them pretty good... :)

[video=youtube;8YX-gqRdK_8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YX-gqRdK_8[/video]

I've always wondered what was on that third tablet. I bet it was something awesome, like free ice cream on Saturdays.

this is why You the christian should pick up the bible and read it!

i read the ten commandments before the book of john.

well god told me i am a jew and lead me to the ot and said this is your roots. start there.when i hit ezekiel i then begin to read the gospel.

i have nathan in the ot as well. we are in exodus.

shemot for the jews and beersherit for them as well(genesis)
sorry i had to show off.,lol

Well fellas', its been a while. Figured this is just a good a place to jump on in as any. :D

I'll tell you what your seeing there Mike, and that is the very clever way of taking a specific commandment and combining it with another one to take away the direct meaning of one of them.

In other terms, the catholic "church" took the second commandment meaning away and combined it with the first taking away the emphases of the specific nature of mankind 'worshiping' something that he can make in the physical sense. For example, an idol. And by combining it with the first, they put ALL the emphasis on God being God...but only in a "spiritual" sense. They, in essence, took the 'liberty' of trying to separate the spiritual from the physical.

There is more too it, but time and space is a limiting factor. Needless to say, the catholic places of worship are full of idols. Not to mention catholic homes and even what they wear. They don't call them as such, but they are. No different than the golden calf.

It is very plain, and very blatantly spoken of in Exodus 20:4-6.

"You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the LORD your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments." (ESV)

I would have to say that this is one of those "you cant have your cake and eat it too" situations. Either Exodus 20:4-6 was included later by some author, or it was in the original text and just aptly ignored by the catholics.

Mike,
There is a reason why the commandment to honor your father and mother is smack dab in the middle (number 5). It bridges the gap between the commandments toward God and the commandments toward one another in a way that when you honor your mother and father, it is a reflection of how one honors God.

I'm not so sure the Jews look at the first commandment as being what's listed in your chart either. I'd have to look back at my Ramban commentary, but it doesn't seem correct from the Ramban's perspective anyway. Things that make ya go hmmm..

But anyway, what right does a Protestant or a Catholic have changing how the Jews viewed these as far a sequence? Hmmm I wonder what Jesus thought.

But anyway, what right does a Protestant or a Catholic have changing how the Jews viewed these as far a sequence? Hmmm I wonder what Jesus thought.

It's certainly is interesting, the level of some Christians with disdain for Jews/Judaism. If only the racists could get it through their heads that Jesus, Peter, Paul, Matthew, etc. etc., where all Jews!!!! Quoting a Jew to insult a Jew is highly irrational :bigfrown

jeff, we know why that was done.

and we also must realise the church has perverted the torah by not passing the sages wisdom on to the saints.

in order to understood the cross's work better the torah must be well understood.

man, what stuff and depth the torah has if one cares to learn about the oral law and written law. we have this wierd look at it when we read it. its not just a dos and dont but also a way of getting on soul right with god.

it was meant to point you to the YHWH and to lean on his mercy and grace. hmm interesting aint it.:D

Well fellas', its been a while. Figured this is just a good a place to jump on in as any. :D

I'll tell you what your seeing there Mike, and that is the very clever way of taking a specific commandment and combining it with another one to take away the direct meaning of one of them.

Nathan, very true, and very VERY good to see you back. :yes

What's interesting is that, from my experience, Lutherans go WAY out of their way to rid themselves of everything Catholic. We won't even sing the same songs if they are deemed to be traditional Catholic hymns, and there's some good stuff there! It's strange that we would be in agreement on this.

This honestly wasn't presented as a smear on Catholics, but our church has many... and I mean many... former Catholic members. I'm in that same group. We FC's probably distance ourselves from the RCC more than most others.

Mike,
There is a reason why the commandment to honor your father and mother is smack dab in the middle (number 5). It bridges the gap between the commandments toward God and the commandments toward one another in a way that when you honor your mother and father, it is a reflection of how one honors God.

I'm not so sure the Jews look at the first commandment as being what's listed in your chart either. I'd have to look back at my Ramban commentary, but it doesn't seem correct from the Ramban's perspective anyway. Things that make ya go hmmm..

I've never seen the "Jewish TC's" before; not like this anyway. My first thought when I saw the left column was, "#1 doesn't look like a commandment. It looks like a statement.". It just seems out of place.

Jason, what say you?

i will answer from a link to chabad org and post what the masoretic text they use.

we use that same text as well. they may translate according to the jewish bias.

<TABLE class=co_TanachTable border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=Co_Verse><TD vAlign=top>1. God spoke all these words, to respond:</TD><TD class=Co_Spacer></TD><TD class=hebrew vAlign=top>א. וַיְדַבֵּר אֱ־לֹהִים אֵת כָּל הַדְּבָרִים הָאֵלֶּה לֵאמֹר:</TD></TR><TR class=Co_Verse><TD vAlign=top>2. "I am the Lord, your God, Who took you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.</TD><TD class=Co_Spacer></TD><TD class=hebrew vAlign=top>ב. אָנֹכִי יְ־הֹוָ־ה אֱלֹהֶיךָ אֲשֶׁר הוֹצֵאתִיךָ מֵאֶרֶץ מִצְרַיִם מִבֵּית עֲבָדִים:</TD></TR><TR class=Co_Verse><TD vAlign=top>3. You shall not have the gods of others in My presence.</TD><TD class=Co_Spacer></TD><TD class=hebrew vAlign=top>ג. לֹא יִהְיֶה לְךָ אֱ־לֹהִים אֲחֵרִים עַל פָּנָי:</TD></TR><TR class=Co_Verse><TD vAlign=top>4. You shall not make for yourself a graven image or any likeness which is in the heavens above, which is on the earth below, or which is in the water beneath the earth.</TD><TD class=Co_Spacer></TD><TD class=hebrew vAlign=top>ד. לֹא תַעֲשֶׂה לְךָ פֶסֶל וְכָל תְּמוּנָה אֲשֶׁר בַּשָּׁמַיִם מִמַּעַל וַאֲשֶׁר בָּאָרֶץ מִתָּחַת וַאֲשֶׁר בַּמַּיִם מִתַּחַת לָאָרֶץ:</TD></TR><TR class=Co_Verse><TD vAlign=top>5. You shall neither prostrate yourself before them nor worship them, for I, the Lord, your God, am a zealous God, Who visits the iniquity of the fathers upon the sons, upon the third and the fourth generation of those who hate Me,</TD><TD class=Co_Spacer></TD><TD class=hebrew vAlign=top>ה. לֹא תִשְׁתַּחֲוֶה לָהֶם וְלֹא תָעָבְדֵם כִּי אָנֹכִי יְהוָה אֱלֹהֶיךָ אֵל קַנָּא פֹּקֵד עֲו*ֹן אָבֹת עַל בָּנִים עַל שִׁלֵּשִׁים וְעַל רִבֵּעִים לְשֹׂנְאָי:</TD></TR><TR class=Co_Verse><TD vAlign=top>6. and perform loving kindness to thousands [of generations], to those who love Me and to those who keep My commandments.</TD><TD class=Co_Spacer></TD><TD class=hebrew vAlign=top>ו. וְעֹשֶׂה חֶסֶד לַאֲלָפִים לְאֹהֲבַי וּלְשֹׁמְרֵי מִצְוֹתָי:</TD></TR><TR class=Co_Verse><TD vAlign=top>7. You shall not take the name of the Lord, your God, in vain, for the Lord will not hold blameless anyone who takes His name in vain.</TD><TD class=Co_Spacer></TD><TD class=hebrew vAlign=top>ז. לֹא תִשָּׂא אֶת שֵׁם יְ־הֹוָ־ה אֱלֹהֶיךָ לַשָּׁוְא כִּי לֹא יְנַקֶּה יְ־הֹוָ־ה אֵת אֲשֶׁר יִשָּׂא אֶת שְׁמוֹ לַשָּׁוְא:</TD></TR><TR class=Co_Verse><TD vAlign=top>8. Remember the Sabbath day to sanctify it.</TD><TD class=Co_Spacer></TD><TD class=hebrew vAlign=top>ח. זָכוֹר אֶת יוֹם הַשַּׁבָּת לְקַדְּשׁוֹ:</TD></TR><TR class=Co_Verse><TD vAlign=top>9. Six days may you work and perform all your labor,</TD><TD class=Co_Spacer></TD><TD class=hebrew vAlign=top>ט. שֵׁשֶׁת יָמִים תַּעֲבֹד וְעָשִׂיתָ כָּל מְלַאכְתֶּךָ:</TD></TR><TR class=Co_Verse><TD vAlign=top>10. but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord, your God; you shall perform no labor, neither you, your son, your daughter, your manservant, your maidservant, your beast, nor your stranger who is in your cities.</TD><TD class=Co_Spacer></TD><TD class=hebrew vAlign=top>י. וְיוֹם הַשְּׁבִיעִי שַׁבָּת לַי־הֹוָ־ה אֱלֹהֶיךָ לֹא תַעֲשֶׂה כָל מְלָאכָה אַתָּה וּבִנְךָ וּבִתֶּךָ עַבְדְּךָ וַאֲמָתְךָ וּבְהֶמְתֶּךָ וְגֵרְךָ אֲשֶׁר בִּשְׁעָרֶיךָ:</TD></TR><TR class=Co_Verse><TD vAlign=top>11. For [in] six days the Lord made the heaven and the earth, the sea and all that is in them, and He rested on the seventh day. Therefore, the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and sanctified it.</TD><TD class=Co_Spacer></TD><TD class=hebrew vAlign=top>יא. כִּי שֵׁשֶׁת יָמִים עָשָׂה יְ־הֹוָ־ה אֶת הַשָּׁמַיִם וְאֶת הָאָרֶץ אֶת הַיָּם וְאֶת כָּל אֲשֶׁר בָּם וַיָּנַח בַּיּוֹם הַשְּׁבִיעִי עַל כֵּן בֵּרַךְ יְ־הֹוָ־ה אֶת יוֹם הַשַּׁבָּת וַיְקַדְּשֵׁהוּ:</TD></TR><TR class=Co_Verse><TD vAlign=top>12. Honor your father and your mother, in order that your days be lengthened on the land that the Lord, your God, is giving you.</TD><TD class=Co_Spacer></TD><TD class=hebrew vAlign=top>יב. כַּבֵּד אֶת אָבִיךָ וְאֶת אִמֶּךָ לְמַעַן יַאֲרִכוּן יָמֶיךָ עַל הָאֲדָמָה אֲשֶׁר יְ־הֹוָ־ה אֱלֹהֶיךָ נֹתֵן לָךְ:</TD></TR><TR class=Co_Verse><TD vAlign=top>13. You shall not murder. You shall not commit adultery. You shall not steal. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.</TD><TD class=Co_Spacer></TD><TD class=hebrew vAlign=top>יג. לֹא תִּרְצָח ס לֹא תִּנְאָף ס לֹא תִּגְנֹב ס לֹא תַעֲנֶה בְרֵעֲךָ עֵד שָׁקֶר:</TD></TR><TR class=Co_Verse><TD vAlign=top>14. You shall not covet your neighbor's house. You shall not covet your neighbor's wife, his manservant, his maidservant, his ox, his donkey, or whatever belongs to your neighbor."</TD><TD class=Co_Spacer></TD><TD class=hebrew vAlign=top>יד. לֹא תַחְמֹד בֵּית רֵעֶךָ ס לֹא תַחְמֹד אֵשֶׁת רֵעֶךָ וְעַבְדּוֹ וַאֲמָתוֹ וְשׁוֹרוֹ וַחֲמֹרוֹ וְכֹל אֲשֶׁר לְרֵעֶךָ:</TD></TR><TR class=Co_Verse><TD vAlign=top>15. And all the people saw the voices and the torches, the sound of the shofar, and the smoking mountain, and the people saw and trembled; so they stood from afar.</TD><TD class=Co_Spacer></TD><TD class=hebrew vAlign=top>טו. וְכָל הָעָם רֹאִים אֶת הַקּוֹלֹת וְאֶת הַלַּפִּידִם וְאֵת קוֹל הַשֹּׁפָר וְאֶת הָהָר עָשֵׁן וַיַּרְא הָעָם וַיָּנֻעוּ וַיַּעַמְדוּ מֵרָחֹק:</TD></TR><TR class=Co_Verse><TD vAlign=top>16. They said to Moses, "You speak with us, and we will hear, but let God not speak with us lest we die."</TD><TD class=Co_Spacer></TD><TD class=hebrew vAlign=top>טז. וַיֹּאמְרוּ אֶל מֹשֶׁה דַּבֵּר אַתָּה עִמָּנוּ וְנִשְׁמָעָה וְאַל יְדַבֵּר עִמָּנוּ אֱ־לֹהִים פֶּן נָמוּת:</TD></TR><TR class=Co_Verse><TD vAlign=top>17. But Moses said to the people, "Fear not, for God has come in order to exalt you, and in order that His awe shall be upon your faces, so that you shall not sin."</TD><TD class=Co_Spacer></TD><TD class=hebrew vAlign=top>יז. וַיֹּאמֶר מֹשֶׁה אֶל-הָעָם אַל-תִּירָאוּ כִּי לְבַעֲבוּר נַסּוֹת אֶתְכֶם בָּא הָאֱלֹהִים וּבַעֲבוּר תִּהְיֶה יִרְאָתוֹ עַל-פְּנֵיכֶם לְבִלְתִּי תֶחֱטָאוּ:</TD></TR><TR class=Co_Verse><TD vAlign=top>18. The people remained far off, but Moses drew near to the opaque darkness, where God was.</TD><TD class=Co_Spacer></TD><TD class=hebrew vAlign=top>יח. וַיַּעֲמֹד הָעָם מֵרָחֹק וּמֹשֶׁה נִגַּשׁ אֶל-הָעֲרָפֶל אֲשֶׁר-שָׁם הָאֱלֹהִים:</TD></TR><TR class=Co_Verse><TD vAlign=top>19. The Lord said to Moses, "So shall you say to the children of Israel, You have seen that from the heavens I have spoken with you.</TD><TD class=Co_Spacer></TD><TD class=hebrew vAlign=top>יט. וַיֹּאמֶר יְהוָה אֶל-מֹשֶׁה כֹּה תֹאמַר אֶל-בְּנֵי יִשְׂרָאֵל אַתֶּם רְאִיתֶם כִּי מִן-הַשָּׁמַיִם דִּבַּרְתִּי עִמָּכֶם:</TD></TR><TR class=Co_Verse><TD vAlign=top>20. You shall not make [images of anything that is] with Me. Gods of silver or gods of gold you shall not make for yourselves.</TD><TD class=Co_Spacer></TD><TD class=hebrew vAlign=top>כ. לֹא תַעֲשׂוּן אִתִּי אֱלֹהֵי כֶסֶף וֵאלֹהֵי זָהָב לֹא תַעֲשׂוּ לָכֶם:</TD></TR><TR class=Co_Verse><TD vAlign=top>21. An altar of earth you shall make for Me, and you shall slaughter beside it your burnt offerings and your peace offerings, your sheep and your cattle. Wherever I allow My name to be mentioned, I will come to you and bless you.</TD><TD class=Co_Spacer></TD><TD class=hebrew vAlign=top>כא. מִזְבַּח אֲדָמָה תַּעֲשֶׂה-לִּי וְזָבַחְתָּ עָלָיו אֶת-עֹלֹתֶיךָ וְאֶת-שְׁלָמֶיךָ אֶת-צֹאנְךָ וְאֶת-בְּקָרֶךָ בְּכָל-הַמָּקוֹם אֲשֶׁר אַזְכִּיר אֶת-שְׁמִי אָבוֹא אֵלֶיךָ וּבֵרַכְתִּיךָ:</TD></TR><TR class=Co_Verse><TD vAlign=top>22. And when you make for Me an altar of stones, you shall not build them of hewn stones, lest you wield your sword upon it and desecrate it.</TD><TD class=Co_Spacer></TD><TD class=hebrew vAlign=top>כב. וְאִם מִזְבַּח אֲבָנִים תַּעֲשֶׂה לִּי לֹא תִבְנֶה אֶתְהֶן גָּזִית כִּי חַרְבְּךָ הֵנַפְתָּ עָלֶיהָ וַתְּחַלְלֶהָ:</TD></TR><TR class=Co_Verse><TD vAlign=top>23. And you shall not ascend with steps upon My altar, so that your nakedness shall not be exposed upon it.' "</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

that is what i think should be in our bibles, its their texts and we got it from then, they aint saying anything different.

http://www.chabad.org/library/bible_cdo/aid/9881

Jason, verse 2 doesn't sound like a commandment of what shall be done or not be done by His people. It seems likes a preface to the commandments that will follow. It's like it's the baseline understanding that all the commandments rest upon. I still don't understand how verse 2 would be the 1st Commandment. :shrug

the ten commandments were never put in a verse one two three format.

i will quote the kjv,

Exodus 20

<SUP id=en-KJV-2053 class=versenum>1</SUP>And God spake all these words, saying,
<SUP id=en-KJV-2054 class=versenum>2</SUP>I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
<SUP id=en-KJV-2055 class=versenum>3</SUP>Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
<SUP id=en-KJV-2056 class=versenum>4</SUP>Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.
<SUP id=en-KJV-2057 class=versenum>5</SUP>Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
<SUP id=en-KJV-2058 class=versenum>6</SUP>And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.
<SUP id=en-KJV-2059 class=versenum>7</SUP>Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.
<SUP id=en-KJV-2060 class=versenum>8</SUP>Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
<SUP id=en-KJV-2061 class=versenum>9</SUP>Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
<SUP id=en-KJV-2062 class=versenum>10</SUP>But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
<SUP id=en-KJV-2063 class=versenum>11</SUP>For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
<SUP id=en-KJV-2064 class=versenum>12</SUP>Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.
<SUP id=en-KJV-2065 class=versenum>13</SUP>Thou shalt not kill.
<SUP id=en-KJV-2066 class=versenum>14</SUP>Thou shalt not commit adultery.
<SUP id=en-KJV-2067 class=versenum>15</SUP>Thou shalt not steal.
<SUP id=en-KJV-2068 class=versenum>16</SUP>Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.
<SUP id=en-KJV-2069 class=versenum>17</SUP>Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.
<SUP id=en-KJV-2070 class=versenum>18</SUP>And all the people saw the thunderings, and the lightnings, and the noise of the trumpet, and the mountain smoking: and when the people saw it, they removed, and stood afar off.
<SUP id=en-KJV-2071 class=versenum>19</SUP>And they said unto Moses, Speak thou with us, and we will hear: but let not God speak with us, lest we die.
<SUP id=en-KJV-2072 class=versenum>20</SUP>And Moses said unto the people, Fear not: for God is come to prove you, and that his fear may be before your faces, that ye sin not.
<SUP id=en-KJV-2073 class=versenum>21</SUP>And the people stood afar off, and Moses drew near unto the thick darkness where God was.
<SUP id=en-KJV-2074 class=versenum>22</SUP>And the LORD said unto Moses, Thus thou shalt say unto the children of Israel, Ye have seen that I have talked with you from heaven.
<SUP id=en-KJV-2075 class=versenum>23</SUP>Ye shall not make with me gods of silver, neither shall ye make unto you gods of gold.
<SUP id=en-KJV-2076 class=versenum>24</SUP>An altar of earth thou shalt make unto me, and shalt sacrifice thereon thy burnt offerings, and thy peace offerings, thy sheep, and thine oxen: in all places where I record my name I will come unto thee, and I will bless thee.
<SUP id=en-KJV-2077 class=versenum>25</SUP>And if thou wilt make me an altar of stone, thou shalt not build it of hewn stone: for if thou lift up thy tool upon it, thou hast polluted it. <SUP id=en-KJV-2078 class=versenum>26</SUP>Neither shalt thou go up by steps unto mine altar, that thy nakedness be not discovered thereon

almost the same.

Back