Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The use of the Olive Oil Prohibited?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I have seen Catholic's use olive oil to bless.
This is the reason they use it:

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

1293 In treating the rite of Confirmation, it is fitting to consider the sign of anointing and what it signifies and imprints: a spiritual seal.

Anointing, in Biblical and other ancient symbolism, is rich in meaning: oil is a sign of abundance and joy; it cleanses (anointing before and after a bath) and limbers (the anointing of athletes and wrestlers); oil is a sign of healing, since it is soothing to bruises and wounds; and it makes radiant with beauty, health, and strength.

W

This is the reason they use it:

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

1293 In treating the rite of Confirmation, it is fitting to consider the sign of anointing and what it signifies and imprints: a spiritual seal.

Anointing, in Biblical and other ancient symbolism, is rich in meaning: oil is a sign of abundance and joy; it cleanses (anointing before and after a bath) and limbers (the anointing of athletes and wrestlers); oil is a sign of healing, since it is soothing to bruises and wounds; and it makes radiant with beauty, health, and strength.

W
before I got saved I was married to a Catholic and her whole family was same. we built a new house and she brought in a priest to bless the house going into each room and sprinkling oil

before I got saved I was married to a Catholic and her whole family was same. we built a new house and she brought in a priest to bless the house going into each room and sprinkling oil
They do this. It's to bless the home so that God's presence will be there. To give strength to the people residing there, for their service to God.
I agree with this if the people in the home are Christian. The problem is that in most neighborhoods the priest goes around to do this and gets paid for it by a donation. In that case it's of no value. You cannot bless something that does not understand its meaning or does not desire the blessing.

W

Olive Oil is the safest oil to use for cooking it does not clog up the arteries, and it's properties does not change when subjected to high heat, like the other oils. And it is loaded with antioxidants.

Last edited:
It is the safest oil to use for cooking it does not clog up the arteries, and it's properties does not change when subjected to high heat, like the other oils. And it is loaded with antioxidants.
What oil is that?
Chainsaw oil?

:lol I'll take that as a 'yes, I believe everything written in scripture is a command'.

What parts can you ignore, you ask? The parts that are guidelines, or which do not apply to you.
Which guidelines? Jesus gave us guidelines? To me it sounded like commands.
Not that we could actually keep them all. For instance, it may not be practical to go visit people in prison.
I just can't think of any guidelines.
Help!

Actually, I remember that we HAD to wear a head covering when in church. Mass, I should say. I grew up Catholic. How about in the Protestant church?
Well, when I was 34 (1985) I went to my first protestant church.
And as I remember correctly, I don't remember anyone wearing a hat except some homeless guy from Texas.

Well, when I was 34 (1985) I went to my first protestant church.
And as I remember correctly, I don't remember anyone wearing a hat except some homeless guy from Texas.
Interesting. I went to my first Protestant church just a couple of years before you did and I confirm, no head covering. But by then the RCC had dispelled with this too.
If the Son has made you free, you are free indeed.
John 8:36

W

Some Pentecostals and Charismatics use the oil the same way. They use it with prayer to bless and cleanse.

I just can't think of any guidelines.
Help!
Time to come out of retirement, wondering:

"work with your hands, just as we commanded you, 12so that you will behave properly toward outsiders and not be in any need." (1 Thessalonians 5:11-12 NASB)

No excuses. Either this is a guideline, or a hard and fast command. If it's a hard and fast command you better start filling out applications today.

How about this one.

"26 Greet all the brethren with a holy kiss." (1 Thessalonians 5:26 NASB)

Have you given Rollo Tamasi his holy kiss today?

Back