Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Thoughts on Joel Osteen

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Joel needs to change and add more of something to what He preaches?

That is like saying Walmart needs to do transmissions, as they are the only ones that work on cars and don't extend their services to transmissions.

We should start a thread on How Walmart is not following the full mechanics gospel.

More Jesus. I get what you are saying, there are other people to take care of the saving power of the gospel. It is just that he is like the pope of America and he doesn't talk about Jesus.

Only a fool thinks people like Larry King don't have an evil agenda. Yet, we gleefully fall in line with him when someone like Osteen won't take his bait, and state things that will forever turn off certain groups from ever listening to anything God's people say.

Our assistant Pastor has a saying on his website. "Judge them and they will run, love them, and they will come." The Bible even says that Jesus looked at the Rich Young Ruler....... "and, loved him."

Last edited:
Offering another thought. Would you also tag along with someone while he robbed a bank? How about tagging along while someone hid in waiting and then executed a hit on another person?
If I was invited to do so, I probably would but I'd bring the police with me.

Now that I've answered that, doesn't it make your questions sound foolish?

These "prosperity" teachers have plenty of "false doctrines" that believers seem to enjoy for whatever reasons.

This guy had a fairly good thumbnail critique:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/pastor-rick-henderson/osteen-meyer-prosperity-gospel_b_3790384.html

Believers lean to believe whatever they please, primarily to whatever makes them feel good. It is the natural inclination of the heart, to want to feel good. Even to do good. I do understand that leaning. There is a lot in scripture to be thankful for. And there is a lot of scripture to critique ourselves with, likewise. The latter is not easy ground to cover, or to enter into. Everyone's programmed every day of their lives to be a consumer, incessantly so. And this makes "money" a big priority for everyone.

I doubt very much that the Gospel is about money. And it was for this reason that I withdrew from the health/wealth proclaimers, as they were/are clearly misleading for personal profit.

Dress up any religious figure with fine robes, perhaps even a makeup artist, put them in a fancy temple, bright lights, great music, maybe even pump in some phony smoke onto the stage (yeah, a sect in my town does this too!) make a really big show, and people come to see the show. How much truth is conveyed is another matter altogether. Put the same person is sack cloth and ashes on their heads, in the gutter, and NO ONE would bother to listen. This is how the natural nature rolls.

More Jesus. I get what you are saying, there are other people to take care of the saving power of the gospel. It is just that he is like the pope of America and he doesn't talk about Jesus.

Well, it's a form of judgement saying another man's servant should be doing this or that. We took a family in where the Husband just ragged on for days about a church they attend that believed in Oneness. He told me he never heard of such nonsense and wrote a letter to he Pastor.
It happened to be a Apostolic Pentecostal church.I just listened, not wanting to break it down for him..... (For awhile that is) He tells me the rest of the stuff was good, but not that Oneness doctrine.

Then a few days latter he starts talking about how My Pastor Keith Moore does not try to keep marriages together and He should be doing 1 on 1 counselling, and not just having a Marriage meeting every year. Keith Moore is letting Marriages fall apart.

That was the same exact day I fixed spaghetti for everyone including his 4 kids and wife staying with us, trying to make it good, and He tells me He does not like Onions. A grown man telling me he don't like something was a bit much for me, and I let him have it. Who cares if you don't like onions, I had no idea, but be grateful your family is eating!!!

Then I told him not another word about another minister, if He don't like it, then He needs to start his own Marriage ministry and shut up. We don't talk bad about anyone in my house, I don't allow that atmosphere.

I have a very low tolerance for this dog like determination of believers wanting to correct other believers. Before someone tries to correct me, they best have that place in my life, and keep in mind I also answer to a Lord just like they do.

Blessings

Mike.

If just one person gets saved in Joel Osteen's ministry, that pleasing aroma will go all the way up to heaven and God will bless Joel for his efforts.
Some of us don't do anything to get people saved.
How does "just one person" being saved compare with the possibility that thousands and thousands of others may not get saved because of the same teacher? How will God bless Joel if that is the case?

Boy, some of us sure do take ourselves way too seriously. LOL

That is not what it has to mean. It means you love the person and you are there for them. They know you are a Christian and God's love is there for them when they need you.
You can still love the person and not attend. They should know and accept that your love for them is not dependent on whether or not you attend a certain event. Attending implies that you support what is taking place.

Answered? Yes. Foolish? No.

I didn't want to take it this far but now I'll go just a bit farther. Please forgive the graphics. Would you accept an invitation from a close friend to attend a drunken orgy?

Last edited:
What does that even mean? Does God "go" anywhere?

How do you know he does? What makes you so sure? Other than perhaps being facetious, what makes you think that he is alone, an if he is, that he wants a Christian to be there?
WOW, we're getting really deep here.

Actually Rollo, what WIP has stated in the question should cause you to do a Spiritual Inventory. In this case the passage concerned will be Matthew 7, all of it. In this chapter of the Sermon On The Mount, Jesus calls those that follow Him to be discerning (judge) but to, first, clean their own trash out of the Bin.

Over the years I have met and befriended an unknown number of Homosexual Persons but I never engaged in their sin. When God defined Marriage, in the Creation Story, He made one flesh (marriage) of one man and one woman, Adam, a.k.a. Man, and Eve, a.k.a. Woman. I'm sorry but the marriage of Adam and Steve is not an act of purity, it is a sin and I caqn love my friends but I cannot join them in their sin and they know that about me and they respect me for taking a stand for God.

How does "just one person" being saved compare with the possibility that thousands and thousands of others may not get saved because of the same teacher? How will God bless Joel if that is the case?
How do you know that is the case?

Actually Rollo, what WIP has stated in the question should cause you to do a Spiritual Inventory. In this case the passage concerned will be Matthew 7, all of it. In this chapter of the Sermon On The Mount, Jesus calls those that follow Him to be discerning (judge) but to, first, clean their own trash out of the Bin.

Over the years I have met and befriended an unknown number of Homosexual Persons but I never engaged in their sin. When God defined Marriage, in the Creation Story, He made one flesh (marriage) of one man and one woman, Adam, a.k.a. Man, and Eve, a.k.a. Woman. I'm sorry but the marriage of Adam and Steve is not an act of purity, it is a sin and I caqn love my friends but I cannot join them in their sin and they know that about me and they respect me for taking a stand for God.
Hi Bill, nice to hear from you!

I'm curious Bill, what do you mean that I should do a spiritual inventory?
Could you explain that better to me?
Because it sounds very negative and derogatory, insulting and disrespectful.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back