Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Thoughts on Joel Osteen

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Joel Osteen just seems like he wants to get people to Christ, so he takes a soft stance on some things. I dunno...having had my fill of fire and brimstone preaching at a younger age, I don't see what the big deal is...he basically hugs people to The Cross instead of scaring them.

Joyce Meyers...I kinda sorta like her. Not her biggest fan, but her Battlefield of The Mind was somewhat helpful to me, some of her preaching is insightful and creative, so...yup yup. I think Christians are often too critical of each other.

As I tell folks, Listen to the One God directs you to listen to. I don't care for a lot of Baptist and Methodist preaching, but I have learned from a few Baptist anyway. I am smart enough not to put anyone down though, just because they are not my cup of tea. If they are helping folks, not against me, then Jesus said the are fine.

Mike.

Joel Osteen just seems like he wants to get people to Christ, so he takes a soft stance on some things. I dunno...having had my fill of fire and brimstone preaching at a younger age, I don't see what the big deal is...he basically hugs people to The Cross instead of scaring them.

Joyce Meyers...I kinda sorta like her. Not her biggest fan, but her Battlefield of The Mind was somewhat helpful to me, some of her preaching is insightful and creative, so...yup yup. I think Christians are often too critical of each other.
Just because you a strong in faith doesn't mean you are fire and brimstone. I have never heard Joel Osteen talk about Christ. Maybe I just missed it somewhere. And I am not a critical person but Joel Osteen isn't right on his doctrine. Is there something wrong with pointing that out?

Just because you a strong in faith doesn't mean you are fire and brimstone. I have never heard Joel Osteen talk about Christ. Maybe I just missed it somewhere. And I am not a critical person but Joel Osteen isn't right on his doctrine. Is there something wrong with pointing that out?

Nothing Wrong at all with pointing that out. In fact, by judging another mans servant, and having to receive back the same pointing out, it sets you up to have no grace or mercy when your off in something. Edited for rudeness

Last edited by a moderator:
There is so much heresy attached to this man and his wife it is ridiculous. I personally do not think he leads people astray ........... I believe he just feeds them what they are looking for.
Author of the book YOUR BEST LIFE NOW.......... Really?
Matt 7:1-2 (NASB)
7 “Do not judge so that you will not be judged. 2 For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and [a]by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.
Joel Osteen said "I Would Go To A Homosexual Marriage" "I'm Not Against Anything"
Scripture says this is an abomination.......right?
Scripture says to condone such activity make you guilty of it Romans 1:32

Not against anything WOW!

Jesus commends those that expose false teachers

Revelation 2:2 (NASB)
2 ‘I know your deeds and your toil and [a]perseverance, and that you cannot tolerate evil men, and you put to the test those who call themselves apostles, and they are not, and you found them to be false;

peter

There is so much heresy attached to this man and his wife it is ridiculous. I personally do not think he leads people astray ........... I believe he just feeds them what they are looking for.

peter

I agree that he feeds people what they are looking for, self-help wrapped in a Christian package.

Joel Osteen said "I Would Go To A Homosexual Marriage" "I'm Not Against Anything"

But, this is where there is a small remnant of true believers. We ARE to not judge others...............But we are to lift Jesus up and to point people to Christ. Jesus, Jesus, Jesus. I cannot speak enough about him. I am against not talking about how wonderful Jesus is and what exactly he does/has done!

Matt 7:1-2 (NASB)
7 “Do not judge so that you will not be judged. 2 For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and [a]by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.

Not against anything WOW!

Jesus commends those that expose false teachers

Revelation 2:2 (NASB)
2 ‘I know your deeds and your toil and [a]perseverance, and that you cannot tolerate evil men, and you put to the test those who call themselves apostles, and they are not, and you found them to be false;

peter

Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.
(Rom 1:32)

Since Joel might attend a Homosexual Wedding, and I would also if told to go. Then your use of Scripture in Rom 1:32 means your also accusing Joel of being a Homosexual on a Public forum.

Are you meaning to do that?
Edited reba

Also, what Scripture did Jesus say we are to go around and expose false teachers according to our standards? You quoted where the Head of the Church who has all authority to judge, but you did not included the scripture where Jesus said we are to go around and expose people, and set them out in a negative light.

Include the scripture please.

Amazing.
I agree that he feeds people what they are looking for, self-help wrapped in a Christian package.

Pretty strange that even I go to church to get Help for myself and I am hoping it's also Christian Help.

But, this is where there is a small remnant of true believers. We ARE to not judge others...............But we are to lift Jesus up and to point people to Christ. Jesus, Jesus, Jesus. I cannot speak enough about him. I am against not talking about how wonderful Jesus is and what exactly he does/has done!

Your right there, speaking wrongly about anyone your not given authority over is spiritual suicide for destroying your own life. Like ringing the dinner bell for all the devils to come eat you.

Last edited by a moderator:
"But now I have written to you not to keep company with anyone named a brother, who is sexually immoral, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or an extortioner—not even to eat with such a person. For what have I to do with judging those also who are outside? Do you not judge those who are inside? But those who are outside God judges. Therefore “put away from yourselves the evil person.”
1 Corinthians 5:11-13 NKJV

"Now I urge you, brethren, note those who cause divisions and offenses, contrary to the doctrine which you learned, and avoid them. For those who are such do not serve our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly, and by smooth words and flattering speech deceive the hearts of the simple. For your obedience has become known to all. Therefore I am glad on your behalf; but I want you to be wise in what is good, and simple concerning evil. And the God of peace will crush Satan under your feet shortly."
Romans 16:17-20 NKJV

"Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous judgment." The Christ Jesus, John 7:24 NKJV

As I tell folks, Listen to the One God directs you to listen to. I don't care for a lot of Baptist and Methodist preaching, but I have learned from a few Baptist anyway. I am smart enough not to put anyone down though, just because they are not my cup of tea. If they are helping folks, not against me, then Jesus said the are fine.

Mike.

Nothing Wrong at all with pointing that out. In fact, by judging another mans servant, and having to receive back the same pointing out, it sets you up to have no grace or mercy when your off in something. Since your perfect though, I would not worry about that.
Brother Mike you are doing the very same thing you are complaining about, which is shown in these 2 quoted posts.
Drop the snarky rude commits .
Do not respond on the boards to a Staff correction. written as staff.
Please note this post is signed by an Administrator, Reba

I like that WIP. We are to judge those who claim they are of Christ. But, not those on the outside. I should have specified that in my post!

People have been very critical of Joel Osteen for preaching "fluff", but do not mention that he openly admits that he considers Mormons to be brothers and sisters in Christ. That is the real problem if you ask me. However, I do believe that God reaches some people through his sermons when he preaches the Gospel.

Since Joel might attend a Homosexual Wedding, and I would also if told to go. Then your use of Scripture in Rom 1:32 means your also accusing Joel of being a Homosexual on a Public forum.

Are you meaning to do that?
Edited reba

He is condoning the very acts that are an abomination to God. IE Joel Osteen said "I Would Go To A Homosexual Marriage"
Going is participation and not standing against the very sins God finds an abomination is standing against the very God he claims to be his God......
"I'm Not Against Anything" is that how an ambassador represents your God? If so who is your God? ......... The God he claims there are many paths to...........God does love the world but Jesus is the only way
His feel good prosperity mess is just that ........... mess......... I am sorry you buy into it ...

Nothing Wrong at all with pointing that out. In fact, by judging another mans servant, and having to receive back the same pointing out, it sets you up to have no grace or mercy when your off in something. Since your perfect though, I would not worry about that.
Brother Mike I think people do need to be informed of a pastor preaching that Mormons need not worry about Jesus being the only way. I don't think many pastors have all the doctrines all correct, but Osteen's claim about Mormons is clearly wrong.

Brother Mike you confuse me sometimes because in other post you clearly state your opposition to false doctrines or non-Christian world views and such, but you seem to defend a pastor who is preaching some of these very things. It should be done in a loving way of course. Would you recommend people listen to Osteen's sermons? Why not lead them to something more in line with God's word?

Brother Mike you confuse me sometimes because in other post you clearly state your opposition to false doctrines or non-Christian world views and such, but you seem to defend a pastor who is preaching some of these very things. It should be done in a loving way of course. Would you recommend people listen to Osteen's sermons? Why not lead them to something more in line with God's word?

A post with some thought behind it. Good.

I don't like false doctrine "According" to what "I Believe" I have also not just picked Joel to defend, I have defended every Pastor that people have run down ignorantly on this site. Judging others brings Judgement on yourself, and if I can wake some up here and save them grief, being ignorant on how spiritual laws work, then good.

I would recommend People listen to what I listen to, and it's not Joel. I have heard Joel a lot of times, and He delivers a good upbeat message for anyone who is down on themselves, doubt God's Love, and in general knows very little about scriptures, but just needs loved on.

Nothing Joel Preaches is against Scriptures. I know lots of scriptures.

Joel gets blasted not for preaching against scriptures, He get's blasted for not preaching what people like to hear.

As for is Joel is concerned, everyone is going to make it. People have a very big issue with that, but then they would have a issue with God also.

Mormons for example, do Love the Lord, and Joel based his comments on Mitt Romney most likely the only Mormon Joel has heard. Mitt Romney said Jesus is the Son of God, and was raised from the dead. Good enough for Joel, Mitt is all good to go.

If God had the attitude we did, then He would not have sent his Son. God would have said screw them, their heathens. God however in Jer 29:11 said he is not thinking evil of us, or thinking we won't make it. God is hoping we make it, hoping we obey, hoping we make the right choice.

God will save us to the utmost, giving chance, after chance. Joel is a lot like this, He refuses to condemn anyone or talk bad about them.

Lewis, thank you for the intelligent Post. Joel does believe Jesus is the Only way, Joel is not going to put off any group, because it makes it impossible to help them later. Churches that slam the Catholic belief, Calling praying to Mary idol worship do not help any Catholics. All that may be true, but I see more and more how important it is to protect our witness with the others.

We can examine the doctrine, but we should never put down the man. Joel is not the only one that sounds like Joel, it's only because Joel had been blessed to the point of being noticed, there are many more Joels out there.

Mike.

He is condoning the very acts that are an abomination to God. IE Joel Osteen said "I Would Go To A Homosexual Marriage"
Going is participation and not standing against the very sins God finds an abomination is standing against the very God he claims to be his God......
"I'm Not Against Anything" is that how an ambassador represents your God? If so who is your God? ......... The God he claims there are many paths to...........God does love the world but Jesus is the only way
His feel good prosperity mess is just that ........... mess......... I am sorry you buy into it ...

I'd go to a homosexual wedding too.
If I'm not there, then who will represent the truth of the Gospel of Jesus Christ?

I believe God wants to prosper us, and I have refused to go to a wedding on the bases of two people getting married I knew the Lord was not involved in. I went to show that I don't support it, though invited.

Joel said he would go to a homosexual Wedding. Nothing wrong with that, I would go also, if there was a reason to go. I don't make Absolutes with God, and don't want to end up like Peter not wanting to eat the unclean thing. As far as Peter was concerned, Gentiles were not going to make it. Thank God, the Lord was able to change his mind, and go and get some folks saved.

Homosexuality is wrong, but someone who is truly homosexual, only has feelings for the same sex. It is very overpowering, and they don't see it any other way. If I am told to go, then I go, in Hopes I can make a difference in someone's lifestyle.

I'd go to a homosexual wedding too.
If I'm not there, then who will represent the truth of the Gospel of Jesus Christ?

yep

mike.

I am sure you would .....ever notice the emphasis put on homosexuality in the bible... much more than mere sin ..... do you know what the word abomination means? disgust and hatred
not me I lived in this world long enough. I will put as much distance as I can between myself and the things that disgust God and He hates

I am sure you would .....ever notice the emphasis put on homosexuality in the bible... much more than mere sin ..... do you know what the word abomination means? disgust and hatredo
not me I lived in this world long enough. I will put as much distance as I can between myself and the things that disgust God and He hates
ok, so what about a liar that marries ?

Last edited:

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back