Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Tithing?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Should big givers be allowed to control the direction of the church?
This wouldn't even be possible in our church since nobody knows, except me, who the big givers are. In fact, because I don't pay that close attention, I couldn't even tell anyone who they are. I'd have to look at the individual totals to make that determination but its really none of my business so I don't pay attention to it. I just print the reports and send them out at the end of the year.

Leafs suck which sucks for me as I was a fan. They got Matthews a couple years back and finally are competitive.
Dang Harold Ballard made the team noncompetitive for decades IMO.
You know what the worst thing is? After doing some genealogy, I discovered that my surname and my ancestors, came from Normandy. My mother's maiden name also came from Normandy! That means I'm French! No, I can't bring my..self to sa..y it. Bah..the best I can do is say it backwards!
No-o-o-o, say it ain't so! Just when I didn't think being a Leaf fan could get any worse! Lol

This wouldn't even be possible in our church since nobody knows, except me, who the big givers are. In fact, because I don't pay that close attention, I couldn't even tell anyone who they are. I'd have to look at the individual totals to make that determination but its really none of my business so I don't pay attention to it. I just print the reports and send them out at the end of the year.
Send them out to who?

You know what the worst thing is? After doing some genealogy, I discovered that my surname and my ancestors, came from Normandy. My mother's maiden name also came from Normandy! That means I'm French! No, I can't bring my..self to sa..y it. Bah..the best I can do is say it backwards!
No-o-o-o, say it ain't so! Just when I didn't think being a Leaf fan could get any worse! Lol
What's wrong with being French?
I never hear the fries or toast or salad dressing complaining...

What's wrong with being French?
I never hear the fries or toast or salad dressing complaining...
A French Maple Leaf fan? And the alternative is to cheer for the Habs? I cannot do that, brother! The last thing I need is to have a personality crisis over hockey...again! Lol

A French Maple Leaf fan? And the alternative is to cheer for the Habs? I cannot do that, brother! The last thing I need is to have a personality crisis over hockey...again! Lol
I hadn't realized there was so much nationalism in Canada.

I can back out of this, however...my ancestors came to Normandy from Norway! Arizona has an NHL franchise...Canada needs a new one...the Kitchener Vikings! No Toronto, no Montreal...no problem! Lol

I can back out of this, however...my ancestors came to Normandy from Norway! Arizona has an NHL franchise...Canada needs a new one...the Kitchener Vikings! No Toronto, no Montreal...no problem! Lol
Hah...my (pre-rebirth) ancestors came from the garden of Eden...wherever that is...

Send them out to who?
I do two things. I record each individual's giving and at the end of the year I print out a report that I send to said individual. I also print out a general balance sheet that is provided to all the congregational members. The income statement only shows the total incomes from various sources or earmarked for various purposes but no one member knows what any other individual giver has given. The report isn't broken down to that level.

I appreciate so many courteous, informative posts. This is how I see it:

1) The case for New Testament tithing is FAR weaker than its adherents believe.
2) The case for NT tithing is stronger than most of our posters believe, but it not too strong.
3) There is no Scriptural justification for believing that tithers are better than non-tithers.
4) In listing the qualifications and disqualifications for Christian offices, tithing is not mentioned.
5) Tithers point out that God blesses them, but those same blessings apply to givers.

I do two things. I record each individual's giving and at the end of the year I print out a report that I send to said individual. I also print out a general balance sheet that is provided to all the congregational members. The income statement only shows the total incomes from various sources or earmarked for various purposes but no one member knows what any other individual giver has given. The report isn't broken down to that level.
OK, it sounds like a company instead of a church.

I guess I'm more of a small congregation kind of guy.
When it comes to money, there should probably be a few people involved. This may not be necessary in the not-too-distant future as we seem to be moving towards a cashless society.

I guess I'm more of a small congregation kind of guy.
When it comes to money, there should probably be a few people involved. This may not be necessary in the not-too-distant future as we seem to be moving towards a cashless society.
I feel that if you can't trust the pastor to do what is right with donations, you shouldn't be trusting him to do what is right for your soul either.

I feel that if you can't trust the pastor to do what is right with donations, you shouldn't be trusting him to do what is right for your soul either.
You got a point, though to quell any potential for rumors I'd prefer not to do it myself. People are people and some do gossip. I'm well-acquainted with the church rumor mill.
In my last church, there were 3 people assigned to handle the money. As far as pastors and money goes, I don't think I need to remind you of the bad doctrines taught regarding money.

You got a point, though to quell any potential for rumors I'd prefer not to do it myself. People are people and some do gossip. I'm well-acquainted with the church rumor mill.
In my last church, there were 3 people assigned to handle the money. As far as pastors and money goes, I don't think I need to remind you of the bad doctrines taught regarding money.
Bad rumors equate to lack of trust.

Bad rumors equate to gossip, which many love to do.
Knowing the human heart tells me that it is best to take precautions, just in case. This way, gossip and slander can be more easily put to rest.
I'm not for a minute saying that my way is the only way, just the way I've seen it done.
And that it makes sense to me.

Bad rumors equate to gossip, which many love to do.
Knowing the human heart tells me that it is best to take precautions, just in case. This way, gossip and slander can be more easily put to rest.
I'm not for a minute saying that my way is the only way, just the way I've seen it done.
And that it makes sense to me.
Isn't it wonderful that God can make know who isn't "of Him"?
Rumor makers and doubters stand out like a sore thumb, amongst the faithful.

Back