Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Tongues

Another prophecy that has yet to be fulfilled is the speaking of true tongues,Im not talking about the babble that's going on today in some churches,rather as per the below scriptures.......

Mark 13:9 "But take heed to yourselves: for they shall deliver you up to councils; and in the synagogues ye shall be beaten: and ye shall be brought before rulers and kings for My sake,, for a testimony against them."

Mark 13:11 "But when they shall lead you, and deliver you up, take no thought beforehand what ye shall speak, neither do ye premeditate: but whatsoever shall be given you in that hour, that speak ye: for it is not ye that speak, but the Holy Ghost [Spirit]."

When this time comes into being in the very near future, it will not be the elect of God that does the speaking, but the Holy Spirit speaking in and through the mouths of His elect. Every one of these individuals will be delivered before these false councils before the final day of this earth age. This is why Peter would say to the people in Acts 2, on Pentecost day; "This is that which was spoken of by Joel the Prophet."

Acts 2:16: "But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;"

We can read this prophecy in Joel 2:28-32. These sons and daughters shall speak in a cloven tongue, as recorded in Acts 2:6; meaning that the language that they shall speak in will need no interpreter, for every one that hears will hear in their native tongue of the dialect of the neighborhood they grew up in. This is the way that the gospel will go forth in the last days, for it is the evidence of the presence of the Holy Spirit. These sons and daughters will speak, as stated in Mark 13:11, but whatsoever words they do speak in that hour, it will be the Holy Spirit that speaks through them.

Acts 2:17"And it shall come to pass in the last days,' saith God, `I will pour out of My Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and you old men shall dream dreams:"

When the sons and daughter speak, it will be heard in every language and dialect in the world. This will not come from the mind of those people, but those people shall be willing witnesses that allow God to speak directly through them to the people. Thus the true gospel of Christ will be spoken.

So my question is,when was true tongues spoken again after pentecost???Let me answer,it hasn't........

What will be spoken will be audible and understandable to all in their native tongue (language). Everyone will understand what is being said, nothing more nothing less.

We have had more than one occasion where our missionaries to foreign countries have prayed for people through a translater while others began to pray in tongues and afterwards were approached and thanked for there words speaking to the heart of the person being prayed for in a language they did not know, you can believe this or not, but quite frankly it still does not matter I pray in tongues not in church or when I am praying for someone but as the spirit gives me utterance in my own prayer closet. If you don't want that gift cool, but I'll take it and what diffrence does it make the bible says the Holy spirit translates it for us anyway even if it is gibberish as some may think.

Another prophecy that has yet to be fulfilled is the speaking of true tongues,Im not talking about the babble that's going on today in some churches,rather as per the below scriptures.......

Mark 13:9 "But take heed to yourselves: for they shall deliver you up to councils; and in the synagogues ye shall be beaten: and ye shall be brought before rulers and kings for My sake,, for a testimony against them."

Mark 13:11 "But when they shall lead you, and deliver you up, take no thought beforehand what ye shall speak, neither do ye premeditate: but whatsoever shall be given you in that hour, that speak ye: for it is not ye that speak, but the Holy Ghost [Spirit]."

When this time comes into being in the very near future, it will not be the elect of God that does the speaking, but the Holy Spirit speaking in and through the mouths of His elect. Every one of these individuals will be delivered before these false councils before the final day of this earth age. This is why Peter would say to the people in Acts 2, on Pentecost day; "This is that which was spoken of by Joel the Prophet."

Acts 2:16: "But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;"
We can read this prophecy in Joel 2:28-32. These sons and daughters shall speak in a cloven tongue, as recorded in Acts 2:6; meaning that the language that they shall speak in will need no interpreter, for every one that hears will hear in their native tongue of the dialect of the neighborhood they grew up in. This is the way that the gospel will go forth in the last days, for it is the evidence of the presence of the Holy Spirit. These sons and daughters will speak, as stated in Mark 13:11, but whatsoever words they do speak in that hour, it will be the Holy Spirit that speaks through them.

Acts 2:17"And it shall come to pass in the last days,' saith God, `I will pour out of My Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and you old men shall dream dreams:"

When the sons and daughter speak, it will be heard in every language and dialect in the world. This will not come from the mind of those people, but those people shall be willing witnesses that allow God to speak directly through them to the people. Thus the true gospel of Christ will be spoken.
None of those verses are necessarily referring to tongues nor are they necessarily referring to a yet-to-be-fulfilled prophecy.

n2thelight said:
So my question is,when was true tongues spoken again after pentecost???Let me answer,it hasn't........
You cannot know this. You would have to have knowledge of all that was ever said, everywhere in the world, since Pentecost. That, of course, is impossible.

Tongues were to cease, I Cor.13:8. A careful search will show that when the last apostle died and the last person having received the laying on of hands from an apostle died, tongues had fulfilled their purpose and were no more. If not perhaps a scripture teaching otherwise may be offered.

Tongues were to cease, I Cor.13:8. A careful search will show that when the last apostle died and the last person having received the laying on of hands from an apostle died, tongues had fulfilled their purpose and were no more. If not perhaps a scripture teaching otherwise may be offered.
I have yet to see Scripture support the idea that tongues have ceased.

I have yet to see scripture support that tongues have not ceased.
If there is no mention of them having ceased, then there is no reason to believe so. So the onus is on you to prove that they have.

We have had more than one occasion where our missionaries to foreign countries have prayed for people through a translater while others began to pray in tongues and afterwards were approached and thanked for there words speaking to the heart of the person being prayed for in a language they did not know, you can believe this or not, but quite frankly it still does not matter I pray in tongues not in church or when I am praying for someone but as the spirit gives me utterance in my own prayer closet. If you don't want that gift cool, but I'll take it and what diffrence does it make the bible says the Holy spirit translates it for us anyway even if it is gibberish as some may think.

I've heard many of the same types of stories mentioned by Rageprophet. Similarly, I've also also received instantaneous healing in my life, know people who have received instantaneous healing, and prayed for people and watched them receive instantaneous healing. Although this is not speaking in tongues, it is still a gift of the Holy Spirit that some believe to have ceased when the apostles died. It seems foolish to state that something is no longer in existence just because one has not experienced it himself.

"I have yet to see scripture support that tongues have not ceased."

"I have yet to see Scripture support the idea that tongues have ceased."

Religion!!!!! you Gotta love it!!!!

Meaningless arguments from silence that folks build huge theological structures and enominations out of.

1Co 14:39 Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.

That is as close a Scripture as i could find Bob! :yes

Well dear folks my time is checkered but I will accept the "onus" to show that tongues have ceased. Perhaps someone will want to do this with me on a one on one basis?

if tongues have ceased as some would interpret then what was the point? A clever campiagn by God to grow his church, a few more miracles so he could reach MEGACHURCH status while still maintaining his 501c3? Did he really need that, couldn't he just MAKE EVERYONE FOLLOW HIM? This line of reasoning makes no sense as you would claim speaking in tongues doesn't, but I know this the Holy Spirit is my translator so when I speak to God in tongues there doesn't seem to be a problem. If The Holy Spirit can translate prayers like AHHHHHHHHH then I know he can translate tongues. It is pretty clear to me that the scripture says FORBID NOT the speaking in tongues yet some feel they have been given authority to do exactly that and I say nay nay, you don't get to take my gifts from me or my freedoms if you don't want them or are offended by them maybe you should self examine, that said in the church where people are on the pulpit speaking in tongues and no one interprets I can get behind you and say yeah something is wrong but in my house pouring out my heart to God or in agreement to prayer like saying amen just pouring out my heart speaking in tongues and you stand against me on that, then I say you need to seriously examine your heart because you may find that you are on the wrong team. If you don't have tongues or you are unsure about them thats one thing but to say that it is unbiblical and nonsensical is entirely another.

What will be spoken will be audible and understandable to all in their native tongue (language). Everyone will understand what is being said, nothing more nothing less.

Amen.:thumbsup

I have studied this tongues issue for many years now and I concluded that the tongues in Pentecostal and Charismatic churches is false! And I will explain why!

1. Every single occurrence of tongues in the Bible was KNOWN LANGUAGES! It was given to overcome the language barrier so people could share the Good News with people of different languages. There is not even a single event in the entire Bible where someone was speaking in tongues which nobody understood.

2. The Bible clearly says that tongues is NOT for believers, but for UNBELIEVERS! So a room full of Pentecostals or Charismatics who are BELIEVERS in Christ, speaking UNKNOWN tongues is not only unbiblical, but it's dangerous.

1 Corinthians 14:22 Tongues, then, are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers; prophecy, however, is for believers, not for unbelievers.

3. NOT EVERYONE receives the same gift, NOT EVERYONE will receive the gift of tongues, So a room full of Pentecostals or Charismatics who are ALL speaking tongues is not only unbiblical, but is also a contradiction against the Bible.

Those 3 points are just the start of the problems with the Pentecostals and Charismatics Tongue Movements.

You have to make a choice... follow men or follow God. Follow error, or renounce error and embrace truth.

Most people will never renounce error when shown it, due to PRIDE and EGO. They rather die defending their error than force themselves to humbly admit their error and repent.

Satan counterfeits God's true known language tongues with an unknown tongues.

Your choice folks which you want to follow.

Last edited by a moderator:
1Co 13:1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

I know angel can be messenger it isn't always. I would think in this verse to say men and messengers would be kinda redundant.

I do agree with much of what you post.

Although I will not set here and allow generations of family to be called criminals against God, with out speaking up. People who i know to have been blessed of God, who served, who love the Lord. Maybe misguided, maybe fooled, maybe right.

Those are some harsh words you use on fellow Christians. We all know we are all sinners saved only by His Grace/Mercy.

Sorta brings to mind the words of our Lord

Joh 8:7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

1Co 13:1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

I know angel can be messenger...

Notice carefully in Scripture that every occurrence an angel appeared and spoke to people, that the angel was speaking in KNOWN languages, and not some gibberish tongues that nobody could understand.

Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator:
Um, wasn't Peter quoting Joel as a reminder to those who accused them of being drunk that Joel's prophecy was being fulfilled right before their very eyes and ears?

Also, if you pay close attention to Acts 2, you'll notice that the real miracle was those who actually heard Peter and the gang speaking, heard it in their own language.

Acts 2:6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.
Acts 2:7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?
Acts 2:8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?
Acts 2:9 Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,
Acts 2:10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,
Acts 2:11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

Back