Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Two Witnesses

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

for_his_glory

Fight the good fight of faith
2024 Supporter
Revelation 11

Zechariah 4:1-6; 4:11-14 explains that these two witnesses are the word of God in all power and might and the Holy Spirit which is the oil that is poured out on those who God anoints with His Holy Spirit. There are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, Jesus and the Holy Spirit that are one and three that bear witness in earth as being the Holy Spirit, the word and the blood of Jesus and these three agree in one, 1 John 5:7, 8. Only God can give power to act on His word as the Holy Spirit and Jesus bare witness to Gods power and authority especially through signs and wonders.

God exercises His power and authority through those of His great commission of Matthew 28:18-20 who are sealed by the Holy Spirit, 2 Corinthians 1:22, who have accepted Jesus as Lord and Savior. The sackcloth represents the anguish of Gods servants as they remain humbled before the Lord while baring witness to Gods wrath on the unrighteous as these witnesses go forth continuing to preach to the nations.

Zechariah 4 speaks of two olive trees, but only one candlestick in the Old Testament. In this study we read there are two candlesticks. The two olive trees are the two anointed ones as being the two witnesses that are the Holy Spirit whom discerns and confirms the word of God in us by teaching us all truths, John 14:26, and Jesus being the light that shines in darkness as being the word made flesh to walk among us, John 1:1-5.

John is given the understanding that the two witnesses are in comparison to the two candlesticks and two olive trees, which if you read Zechariah Chapter 4 it explains that the golden candlestick is God. The seven lamps with the seven pipes that holds the oil (anointing) is that of the seven Spirits of God given to His Church: wisdom, understanding, counsel, knowledge, reverence, might and Spirit of the Lord, Isaiah 11:2.

The two olive trees are to groups of people. One group being natural Israel (Old Testament) as a remnant according to the election of grace have been saved as in the 144,000 taken from the twelve tribes of Israel that remained faithful to God up to a thousand generations thereafter that remain faithful, 1 Chronicles 16:13-17. The other being Gentiles (New Testament) grafted into the branch by that same grace of God that have been washed in the blood of the Lamb and sealed by His Holy Spirit, John 3:3-7; Romans 10:9, 10; 2 Corinthians 1:22; Romans Chapter 11. The two witnesses have always been those who of faith have stood by God and His law in the Old Testament and those of faith who stand by God and Jesus under the dispensation of grace in the New Testament.

The Disciples were sent out to preach to the lost sheep of Israel, Matthew 10:5, 6 and Paul to the Gentiles, Acts 22:21, and so the same with these two witnesses throughout the generations as being two groups, one taking the Gospel to the lost sheep of Israel and the other group taking the Gospel to the Gentiles until Christ returns. They will be persecuted to death as Jesus was and all the martyr's before them and their bodies will lay in the street for three and a half days and then the Spirit of life from God will enter them and they will be caught up to heaven in a cloud, 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18. This will all occur during the seventh trumpet sounding as I believe all events during this time will happen quickly like 1 Corinthians 15:52 says in a twinkling of an eye we will all be changed and then caught up to Jesus during the seventh trumpet call.

Key points in Rev 11 about the two witnesses:

vs. 5 And if any man will hurt them, fire proceedeth out of their mouth, and devoureth their enemies: and if any man will hurt them, he must in this manner be killed. 6 These have power to shut heaven, that it rain not in the days of their prophecy: and have power over waters to turn them to blood, and to smite the earth with all plagues, as often as they will.

Compare these two verses with that of 1 Kings Chapter 18 where Elijah called on the Lord and He sent fire down from heaven and consumed the sacrifice. I'm not saying Elijah is one of the two witnesses, just making a comparison of the fire called down from heaven. Here we read these have power as I believe it is the same power Elijah had when he called on God to send fire down, but here even more than fire as in stopping the rain, turning water into blood and smite the earth with plagues. This is also the same power Moses had over Pharaoh, in Exodus 7-11

vs. 7 And when they shall have finished their testimony, the beast that ascendeth out of the bottomless pit shall make war against them, and shall overcome them, and kill them. 8 And their dead bodies shall lie in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified. 9 And they of the people and kindreds and tongues and nations shall see their dead bodies three days and an half, and shall not suffer their dead bodies to be put in graves.

The beast out of the bottomless pit in Rev 9:1-12 seem to be literal locust. The star John saw that fell from heaven and having the key to open the bottomless pit is Apollyon (destroyer) who is probably the same angel we read about in Revelation 20:1-3 that God gives the key to that opens the bottomless pit Satan will be shut up in. When the bottomless pit was opened locust came up out of it. In reference to smoke these locust would be to numerous to number, Judges 7:12, and look like dark smoke as they rise and swarm if you saw them from a distance. Once they became closer to your vision you would see that it wasn’t smoke, but a hoard of locust. Their attributes of what God is purposing them for is what gives them their power to sting as in tormenting those who have not the seal of God on them. They are compared as scorpions that literally sting using the power of their tails as they raise them above their head.

Again we see the mention of the bottomless pit in Rev 11:7 as here it says beast. Locust can be considered beast of torment, but in this scenerio God purposes them to kill the two witnesses. Their dead bodies lie in the street of the great city that is spiritually called Sodom and Egypt. The great city could be symbolic for every nation in the world as at this time in the end of days mystery Babylon with its Luciferian economic, political, military and religious system will be established in every nation on earth, as even now it is being implemented. Babylon was called the great city in Rev 14:8 and we read in Rev 19 that Jesus will destroy this great city that is called mystery Babylon.

One clue that the two witnesses are not just two people or two angels is that Jesus was not crucified in Jerusalem, but in a place called Golgotha just outside of Jerusalem, which in Aramaic means place of the skull. The second clue that it is not just two witnesses is the street is not localized or named because all the people and kindreds and tongues and nations shall see their dead bodies three days and an half, and shall not suffer their dead bodies to be put in graves. I believe the 3 1/2 days are a reference to the 3 1/2 years when the son of perdition takes a literal seat on the very foundation where the Temple was destroyed in 70 A.D. and now stands the Dome of the Rock since 691 A.D and even now is being refurbished for the man of sin who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, showing himself that he is God, 2 Thessalonians 2:1-12.

My take is that the two witnesses according to Zechariah 4 and being this is a world wide event as in all nations when they come to preach during the last 3 1/2 are that of the Jews, (like the Disciples) who are to continue their commission to preach the Gospel to the lost sheep of Israel, Matthew 10:5-7 as Jews throughout the world have not yet accepted Jesus as Messiah. Paul on the other hand was called to preach the Gospel to the Gentiles, Acts 22:21, as well as the Gentiles who are called at this time to preach the Gospel in all nations only to the lost Gentiles.

The general observation I always try to keep in mind with any end time analysis, is that it is a two fold matter, and quite simple, really

One is the revealing of Christ in us, which results in

the destruction of the devil and his messengers

The critical element that is often missing or obscured in end time analysis is the devil and his messengers. Most of the end time pablum is filled with external sights, is people destructive focused, coupled with nonsensical sensationalism and pyrotechnics of various sorts

My preferance path of sights is to take some of the O.T. events, such as the deliverance of Israel from Egypt, and picture that as an internal matter

Same with Israel's Babylonian captivity and eventual release. See it as also in internal matter.

God has promised another shaking. I'd consider it to be internal, and an earthquake of the association variety.

All the computational analysis happens inside the box, and we WILL both meet and SEE our Maker, inside the box

That is where our meeting will transpire, as will the destruction of our enemies be, internal.

One thing about Revelation, which means the unveiling, is that it covers all the Bible beginning with Genesis within the literal and the symbolic of Christ in each and every book of the Bible and all the history within as we will see history repeat itself for the last time in the end of days in the annihilation of God's own, as even now many are dying a martyr's death like those before them, Rev 6:9-11.

The two witnesses in how I understand it is the word of God, and the Holy Spirit, 1John 5:6-12. In the end of days during the three and a half year reign of the son of perdition, Satan will think he has finally in the external sense has silenced those who speak the word of God to the nations during this time as they will not receive the mark of the beast and Satan knows they will be killed. But, Satan can not recognize the internal Holy Spirit Spirit that indwells those who are Christ own in that even those who will die a martyr's death will rise again to eternal life with Christ.

I guess the subject of the two witnesses is greatly discussed. You and many others have covered the subject well.

There is a great amount of evidence.

This somewhat secular article gives several different popular theories.

As a redneck I have no hard fast single proof. I do think there were several times there were two witnesses together.

Now I do not want anyone to tear their clothes and yell heresy. I will raise a period of time and observe:
John the Baptist and Jesus
John had prophecy about his birth
Jesus had prophecy about his birth
Both complemented each other.
Both were killed

Now let me leap ahead to the Great Commission:
Repentance is preached ( mentioned as John sent by the Father)
Salvation is preached (Jesus is the one name through which salvation exists)

Two witnesses killed in Jerusalem area and (in a sense) the whole world sees them alive through the preaching of the gospel. They are continually seen by the whole world.
Repent (John)
Salvation (Jesus)
And
Both were filled / anointed (?) with the Holy Spirit.

So:
in Egypt were there two witnesses?
In the prophets were there two tied together?
At the transfiguration were two tied together?
At a future time are two tied together?

I am pro-witnesses concept oriented.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

Hebrews 6:
13 For when God made promise to Abraham, because he could swear by no greater, he sware by himself,

The Father and the Son have spoken and witnessed from eternity, and will continue to do so

Those looking for 2 dudes in Jerusalem will continue to look in vain, on the outside of the cup, and will see nothing

Hebrews 6:
13 For when God made promise to Abraham, because he could swear by no greater, he sware by himself,

The Father and the Son have spoken and witnessed from eternity, and will continue to do so

Those looking for 2 dudes in Jerusalem will continue to look in vain, on the outside of the cup, and will see nothing
From heaven came:
Creation with symbolism
Jerusalem on earth
New Jerusalem

Hebrews 1:1 kjv
1. God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
2. Hath in these last days spoken unto us by hisSon, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

eddif

I guess the subject of the two witnesses is greatly discussed. You and many others have covered the subject well.

There is a great amount of evidence.

This somewhat secular article gives several different popular theories.

As a redneck I have no hard fast single proof. I do think there were several times there were two witnesses together.

Now I do not want anyone to tear their clothes and yell heresy. I will raise a period of time and observe:
John the Baptist and Jesus
John had prophecy about his birth
Jesus had prophecy about his birth
Both complemented each other.
Both were killed

Now let me leap ahead to the Great Commission:
Repentance is preached ( mentioned as John sent by the Father)
Salvation is preached (Jesus is the one name through which salvation exists)

Two witnesses killed in Jerusalem area and (in a sense) the whole world sees them alive through the preaching of the gospel. They are continually seen by the whole world.
Repent (John)
Salvation (Jesus)
And
Both were filled / anointed (?) with the Holy Spirit.

So:
in Egypt were there two witnesses?
In the prophets were there two tied together?
At the transfiguration were two tied together?
At a future time are two tied together?

I am pro-witnesses concept oriented.

Mississippi redneck
eddif
This is a very interesting analogy. The two that have always been tied together in the beginning unto the end is the Alpha and Omega. The word (Jesus come in the form of man) and the Spirit (God's Holy Spirit). Within each of the four Empires throughout history the nations have always tried to silence these two witnesses, but to no avail.

The reference to Sodom and Egypt found in Rev 11:8 are spiritual references in the sense as the power of the prince (Satan) of the air that controls these nations who have always sought to destroy these two witnesses. These two witnesses will seem to lay dead in the streets during the 3 1/2 year reign of the beast, but in the end God will give life to His word (Jesus) as we will see Him coming in the clouds with a sword (word) that will destroy the nations, Rev 19:15, and bring in everlasting life to those who are His own.

vs. 5 And if any man will hurt them, fire proceedeth out of their mouth, and devoureth their enemies: and if any man will hurt them, he must in this manner be killed. 6 These have power to shut heaven, that it rain not in the days of their prophecy: and have power over waters to turn them to blood, and to smite the earth with all plagues, as often as they will.

Compare these two verses with that of 1 Kings Chapter 18 where Elijah called on the Lord and He sent fire down from heaven and consumed the sacrifice. I'm not saying Elijah is one of the two witnesses, just making a comparison of the fire called down from heaven. Here we read these have power as I believe it is the same power Elijah had when he called on God to send fire down, but here even more than fire as in stopping the rain, turning water into blood and smite the earth with plagues. This is also the same power Moses had over Pharaoh, in Exodus 7-11

vs. 7 And when they shall have finished their testimony, the beast that ascendeth out of the bottomless pit shall make war against them, and shall overcome them, and kill them. 8 And their dead bodies shall lie in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified. 9 And they of the people and kindreds and tongues and nations shall see their dead bodies three days and an half, and shall not suffer their dead bodies to be put in graves.

The beast out of the bottomless pit in Rev 9:1-12 seem to be literal locust. The star John saw that fell from heaven and having the key to open the bottomless pit is Apollyon (destroyer) who is probably the same angel we read about in Revelation 20:1-3 that God gives the key to that opens the bottomless pit Satan will be shut up in. When the bottomless pit was opened locust came up out of it. In reference to smoke these locust would be to numerous to number, Judges 7:12, and look like dark smoke as they rise and swarm if you saw them from a distance. Once they became closer to your vision you would see that it wasn’t smoke, but a hoard of locust. Their attributes of what God is purposing them for is what gives them their power to sting as in tormenting those who have not the seal of God on them. They are compared as scorpions that literally sting using the power of their tails as they raise them above their head.

Again we see the mention of the bottomless pit in Rev 11:7 as here it says beast. Locust can be considered beast of torment, but in this scenario God purposes them to kill the two witnesses. Their dead bodies lie in the street of the great city that is spiritually called Sodom and Egypt. The great city could be symbolic for every nation in the world as at this time in the end of days mystery Babylon with its Luciferian economic, political, military and religious system will be established in every nation on earth, as even now it is being implemented. Babylon was called the great city in Rev 14:8 and we read in Rev 19 that Jesus will destroy this great city that is called mystery Babylon.

One clue that the two witnesses are not just two people or two angels is that Jesus was not crucified in Jerusalem, but in a place called Golgotha just outside of Jerusalem, which in Aramaic means place of the skull. The second clue that it is not just two witnesses is the street is not localized or named because all the people and kindreds and tongues and nations shall see their dead bodies three days and an half, and shall not suffer their dead bodies to be put in graves. I believe the 3 1/2 days are a reference to the 3 1/2 years when the son of perdition takes a literal seat on the very foundation where the Temple was destroyed in 70 A.D. and now stands the Dome of the Rock since 691 A.D and even now is being refurbished for the man of sin who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, showing himself that he is God, 2 Thessalonians 2:1-12.

My take is that the two witnesses according to Zechariah 4 and being this is a world wide event as in all nations when they come to preach during the last 3 1/2 are that of the Jews, (like the Disciples) who are to continue their commission to preach the Gospel to the lost sheep of Israel, Matthew 10:5-7 as Jews throughout the world have not yet accepted Jesus as Messiah. Paul on the other hand was called to preach the Gospel to the Gentiles, Acts 22:21, as well as the Gentiles who are called at this time to preach the Gospel in all nations only to the lost Gentiles.

Again we see the mention of the bottomless pit in Rev 11:7 as here it says beast. Locust can be considered beast of torment, but in this scenario God purposes them to kill the two witnesses. Their dead bodies lie in the street of the great city that is spiritually called Sodom and Egypt. The great city could be symbolic for every nation in the world as at this time in the end of days mystery Babylon with its Luciferian economic, political, military and religious system will be established in every nation on earth, as even now it is being implemented. Babylon was called the great city in Rev 14:8 and we read in Rev 19 that Jesus will destroy this great city that is called mystery Babylon.

I had left evil out of my Egypt comment. I was talking about the leadership of Moses and Aron? - Elijah and Elisha - Jesus and John the Baptist

I suppose if good leaders go in pairs the counterfeit evil pairs would go in pairs too.

I had left evil out of my Egypt comment. I was talking about the leadership of Moses and Aron? - Elijah and Elisha - Jesus and John the Baptist

I suppose if good leaders go in pairs the counterfeit evil pairs would go in pairs too.
Oh, OK, no problem. I was more or less talking about the evil that wants to silence the two witnesses like all the evil forces like the four Empires beginning with Nimrod and Babylon.

2 Corinthians 12:2 kjv
2. I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;) such an one caught up to the third heaven.
3. And I knew such a man, (whether in the body, or out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;)
4. How that he was caught up into paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter.
5.Of such an one will I glory: yet of myself I will not glory, but in mine infirmities.
1 Corinthians 13:9 kjv
9. For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
10. But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
11. When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
12. For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known
13. And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

Now allow me a little time, and spiritual space to try and explain the above passages.

About the time I get in the spirit enough to begin to see things I lose some of the reality. I do not know where I am ( probably two places at one time. ( I know human body symbolism is built on revealing the things of God)

So I am getting part of what my childhood history and the prophesy of what is being seen
Are mixed, I am seeing through welding glasses, but one day when I see Jesus at the end of time (?) clarity will hit. i believe the perfected / completed work of Jesus is the perfect.

At times I read some of my own posts and think this is incomplete and lacking, but if I do not share it I will get no more later.

Evil always tries to kill the witnesses. The trick is they killed some (especially Jesus) and they will be in the lake of fire(?) for eternity,

If we ( the body of Jesus Christ) speak one after another, someone sitting by may have secrets revealed.

Rednecks ought to have choker collars on at all times.

Can we continue later?

eddif

1 Corinthians 15:45 kjv
25. For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet.
26. The last enemy that shall be destroyed isdeath.
27. For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith, all things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him.
28. And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.

At this point the reign of Jesus is completed (perfected).

Thus says this scripture. IMHO

eddif

for_his_glory you actually do a great job.

Some of the things I posted were able to be posted because of your statements.

The three good witnesses are;
John The Baptist representeing The Father
The Son (The Word)
The Holy Spirit.

John The Baptist was filled with the Holy Spirit
Jesus had The Holy Spirit descend and remain on Him

John the Baptist preached about Sin against / (in front of?) the Father - Repentance)

John the Baptist died
Jesus the Savior died (and rose again) that
The Holy Spirit is in us, if we have opened the door. (Quickening Spirit ?)

Jesus spoke highly of John the Baptist.

Do I have this all worked out? No. How does it all get reconciled? I do not know totally. This is the (in part).

Mississippi redneck
eddif

As a decades long aficionado of eschatology, I've read many an account that there will be a couple people standing in the street of Jerusalem shooting fire out of their mouths and killing people.

IS this going to happen?

Uh, no. That is entirely fantasy. Ridiculously so. It belongs in comic books, but not in serious eschatology

Just like some people expect some 7 or 10 headed beast to come out of the ocean or giant alien demons that are going to invade our planet.

Just all absolutely comically ridiculous pulp fiction of the religious variety

The general identity of God's two witnesses in Revelation 11 is simple. It is about two literal flesh men that will give a Testimony against the beast during the 6th Trumpet - 2nd Woe period. Along with them are mentioned two candlesticks. Lord Jesus explained at the end of Rev.1 that the candlesticks John saw represent the seven Churches. Thus those two candlesticks are two Churches that will give a Testimony during the trib along with God's literal two witnesses in Jerusalem. The difference is that the two Churches can be comprised of Christian witnesses all over the world. Lord Jesus did warn His faithful that some of us would be delivered up to give a Testimony by The Holy Spirit (Mark 13).

In Christ's Messages to the seven Churches in His Revelation, there were only two of those Churches that He had no rebuke for. So... think.

Back