Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

UFOs in the Bible

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
whirlwind said:
Let the Spirit teach you...not man.

But my point is that the Spirit sometimes speaks to you through other Christians, and in particular the church leadership - and folks have an attitude problem. I hear people saying, "Well, we can all hear from the Spirit equally." (Translation: don't expect me to fall in line with you unless I think it's a good idea) In theory, maybe, but carnal Christians are hearing from their own souls, not from the Spirit. It sounds just like Korah in Numbers 16. The funny thing is how often the "Spirit" conveniently tells people only what they want to hear:

"I'm really submitted to the Lord, I even ask Him where to have lunch."
"What does He say?"
"Well, usually He says Burger King, but sometimes He says McDonalds."

I kid you not. :)

Even when the leadership makes a mistake, we need to be careful. Moses got it wrong in taking a Cushite wife - but it was Aaron and Miriam who got it in the neck for murmuring against him.

Not to get off the track but I couldn't help myself.....

Godfrey said:
Moses got it wrong in taking a Cushite wife - but it was Aaron and Miriam who got it in the neck for murmuring against him.
Moshe's wife was a Midian and not a Cushite. One of the reason's Miriam was punished in numbers was for making a "racial" slur regarding Zipporah.

Exd 18:1 When Jethro, the priest of Midian, Moses' father in law, heard of all that God had done for Moses, and for Israel his people, [and] that the LORD had brought Israel out of Egypt; Exd 18:2 Then Jethro, Moses' father in law, took Zipporah, Moses' wife, after he had sent her back,

WW said:
There again...be careful of the "leadership of the church." There are many leaders teaching false doctrine.
There are at least as many outside the Church that teach false doctrine, leaders or otherwise.

Free said:
WW said:
There again...be careful of the "leadership of the church." There are many leaders teaching false doctrine.
There are at least as many outside the Church that teach false doctrine, leaders or otherwise.
:thumb Outstanding point Free. While it seems easy to want to heap the teaching of 'false doctrine' solely on the church, it must be noted the world and it's leadership do this routinely.

Hey! What happened to all the UFOs?

Just kidding.... :lol

Did anyone see the artwork I posted? If so, do you think it was a nice picture?
If Ezekiel saw something as he stated I imagine it could well have looked like that and I do believe that it is God in all His Glory.

I also do not see it in this picture as a UFO.. :approve

http://getwiththeword.blogspot.com/

RND said:
Free said:
WW said:
:thumb Outstanding point Free. While it seems easy to want to heap the teaching of 'false doctrine' solely on the church, it must be noted the world and it's leadership do this routinely.

I "heap it" on the church (whether in or out of a building) because the chuch is supposed to be the body of Christ. Why would anyone listen to someone not of the church, unless of course you consider His church a bunch of buildings? :confused So, to me, it is those that come in His name, saying they are Christian, that we must be most careful of.

• Revelation 2:9 I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty (but thou art rich), and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan.

We can substitute "synagogue" for "church" today. He knows the blasphemy of those saying they are Jews as well as the blasphemy of those saying they are Christians...they are the synagogue of Satan. He knows who they are and His Spirit tells some of us who they are. We in turn warn others. :)

Steve76 said:
Did anyone see the artwork I posted?
I did.

If so, do you think it was a nice picture?
Sure. How accurate it is is anyone's guess.

If Ezekiel saw something as he stated I imagine it could well have looked like that and I do believe that it is God in all His Glory.
No 'if's' about it. Ezekiel did see in fact see God in a vision.

Neither do I.

Steve76 said:
Hey! What happened to all the UFOs?

Just kidding.... :lol

Yes...I saw it. It was a very nice picture and didn't look anything like a UFO. :biggrin :shades

RND said:
Steve76 said:
Did anyone see the artwork I posted?
I did.

If so, do you think it was a nice picture?
Sure. How accurate it is is anyone's guess.

[quote:hah4d2jx]If Ezekiel saw something as he stated I imagine it could well have looked like that and I do believe that it is God in all His Glory.
No 'if's' about it. Ezekiel did see in fact see God in a vision.

Neither do I.[/quote:hah4d2jx]

Cool! I'm glad you liked it, it was the nicest one I could find and obviously we do not know whether the picture is accurate but it sure looks good!

Whirlwind, I agree with you regarding your last post and I have been in two Churches now that are of Satan.

Steve76 said:
It's interesting, in a different sort of way.

Steve76 said:
Exactly. It is neither a UFO nor some sort of spacecraft.

Steve76 said:

Hi Steve, I looked at that site – I had found part of it earlier. Certainly there are some words missing in places as the author cites, and I just have to presume that is down to different manuscripts that they based the translations on.

WRT the 64000 word discrepancy, as there are ~31000 verses in the Bible, that works out at over 2 words per verse! I can only think that someone has done a naïve word count and discovered the hard way that the NIV is a terser translation. An unscientific experiment: while waiting for my wife at the dentist this morning, I opened her KJV :) at random. At the top of the left hand page was Proverbs 16.18-20:

Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.
Better it is to be of an humble spirit with the lowly, than to divide the spoil with the proud.
He that handleth a matter wisely shall find good: and whoso trusteth in the LORD, happy is he.
- 49 words

Back home, in the NIV:

Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.
Better to be lowly in spirit and among the oppressed than to share plunder with the proud.
Whoever gives heed to instruction prospers, and blessed is he who trusts in the LORD.
- 42 words

A discrepancy of 7 words in 3 verses - about right. Then I picked a few verses at random from all over the Bible: in every case, the KJV was more verbose than the NIV by a word or two.

Not sure who posted it but when we talk about the Bible and interpretation of what is being read. How do we know we have interpreted it right? The Ezekeil passages show a description of something they are unable to describe, so they do the best they can. Just like today when UFOs are seen the person viewing them tries the best they can to describe them, and we today with all our technology are struggling.

I have no doubt there are Hoaxes but the sheer number of reported sightings and by the credable witnesses is overwhelming. People are told they are crazy so how many legitamate sightings are there that DO not get reported.

Godfrey said:
Steve76 said:

Hi Steve, I looked at that site – I had found part of it earlier. Certainly there are some words missing in places as the author cites, and I just have to presume that is down to different manuscripts that they based the translations on.

WRT the 64000 word discrepancy, as there are ~31000 verses in the Bible, that works out at over 2 words per verse! I can only think that someone has done a naïve word count and discovered the hard way that the NIV is a terser translation. An unscientific experiment: while waiting for my wife at the dentist this morning, I opened her KJV :) at random. At the top of the left hand page was Proverbs 16.18-20:

Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.
Better it is to be of an humble spirit with the lowly, than to divide the spoil with the proud.
He that handleth a matter wisely shall find good: and whoso trusteth in the LORD, happy is he.
- 49 words

Back home, in the NIV:

[quote:274bzrum]Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.
Better to be lowly in spirit and among the oppressed than to share plunder with the proud.
Whoever gives heed to instruction prospers, and blessed is he who trusts in the LORD.
- 42 words

A discrepancy of 7 words in 3 verses - about right. Then I picked a few verses at random from all over the Bible: in every case, the KJV was more verbose than the NIV by a word or two.[/quote:274bzrum]

Hi Godfrey, there are whole verses taken out of the NIV. 32 I believe in total..

This thread is not about the KJV or any other version. Please keep it on topic.

Free said:
WW said:

That's very true. However, the organized churches are clearly showing rotten fruit already. We know them by their fruit, friend. Jesus says to come out of Babylon.

shad said:
That's very true. However, the organized churches are clearly showing rotten fruit already. We know them by their fruit, friend. Jesus says to come out of Babylon.
That is an very broad generalization.

i agree that a large majority of the churches now are becoming more politicaly correct then following church doctrine

Free said:
shad said:
That is an very broad generalization.

The spectrum of the "church" is fairly broad. It's very obvious to see through the history of the church the fruit it produced does not entirely align with God, in fact sometimes downright goes against what Jesus taught us. Now don't get me wrong, i don't write off the "church" as against God or we should avoid them, but if we attend a church we should do so cautiously with what they are teaching. If they are teaching the Truth, great, if they are teaching man-made doctrines well proceed with caution.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back