Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Was Eve not created in God's image?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I got this post off another thread. So rather than de-railing that thread I figured I would start a new one.
francisdesales said:
So who or where is the female in God, since you appear to think God is both genders, since He made male and female in His image? You say God created woman in His image, but where is this female in God??? I don't recall a "God the Mother" in your version of theology.
So francis are you claiming Eve was not created in the image of God?

Genesis 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

watchman F said:
I got this post off another thread. So rather than de-railing that thread I figured I would start a new one.
francisdesales said:
So who or where is the female in God, since you appear to think God is both genders, since He made male and female in His image? You say God created woman in His image, but where is this female in God??? I don't recall a "God the Mother" in your version of theology.

Genesis 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

Watchman,

My question was to Mysteryman who thinks that "man and woman" are created in God's image based on their gender. I was wondering in what way EVE was in the image of God, since we don't see a lot of female titles applied to God. He speaks of God as Father, refering to the role of Adam and men, but what about Eve? How is Eve in God's image (with Mysteryman's thinking, not mine...)

Eve is created in God's image in that both are persons, have an intellect, a soul/spirit. Eve had a free will. In addition, coupled with Adam, the one-flesh of humankind is in the image of the three persons of the Blessed Trinity.

Regards

francisdesales said:
watchman F said:
francisdesales said:

Watchman,

My question was to Mysteryman who thinks that "man and woman" are created in God's image based on their gender. I was wondering in what way EVE was in the image of God, since we don't see a lot of female titles applied to God. He speaks of God as Father, refering to the role of Adam and men, but what about Eve? How is Eve in God's image (with Mysteryman's thinking, not mine...)

Eve is created in God's image in that both are persons, have an intellect, a soul/spirit. Eve had a free will. In addition, coupled with Adam, the one-flesh of humankind is in the image of the three persons of the Blessed Trinity.

Regards
I agree, but of course I am oneness so that would bring us back to the other discussion. You wouldn't say I am three person unified to create one human would you? So why do you claim this absurdity about God?

Eve is a type of the church.
Ephesians 5:28-32
28-In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself.
29-After all, no one ever hated his own body, but he feeds and cares for it, just as Christ does the church-
30-for we are members of his body.
31-"For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh."
32-This is a profound mystery- but I am talking about Christ and the church.
If Adam is a shadow of Jesus Christ, then Eve is a shadow of the church- the Bride of Christ.

watchman F said:
I agree, but of course I am oneness so that would bring us back to the other discussion. You wouldn't say I am three person unified to create one human would you? So why do you claim this absurdity about God?

Absurdity? Save your blasphemous remarks for somewhere else. There is no need to say such things just because you do not understand the Blessed Trinity.

You personally are not 'man'. Male and female are man. Two persons, that cleave together to form one "person" of "one mind", is "man". At least that is God's plan, that the two should join together, and this is a great mystery.

"Man" consists of two persons. Male and female. And in this multiple persons, man images God! When these two persons come together, there is a particular fecundity from which proceeds a third person! Such a mystery, just as the Blessed Trinity. The Love between the Father and the Son brings forth Love personified, the Most Holy Spirit of God!

Regards

Oh, look! A thread about the Trinity. :o I was wondering when someone would get around to debating the Trinity. :bigfrown

It does seem like there are about 10 members who claim Christianity on this board who reject it. They seem to perpetuate the endless parade of threads that argue the point. Maybe this is an exaggeration, but it's definitely the minority.

What's interesting it Watchman and Francis agree on the point of this thread, and then off it goes into another Trinity discussion. We almost had peace. For two and a half posts there was peace. :shrug

can we try not to debate the trinity to much here and focus on eve and whose image she was created in.

having said that, the mother carries the dna record of the species, our mitocondrial dna comes from our mother and all its "rings"(markers)are traceable backwards.

francisdesales said:
watchman F said:

Absurdity? Save your blasphemous remarks for somewhere else. There is no need to say such things just because you do not understand the Blessed Trinity.
hahaha, this cracks me up. I understand the teaching of the Trinity I simply find it to be an extra biblical, man made attempt to explain an unexplainable God. not a very good attempt either, but I do not condemn for holding on to it as if you worshiped the doctrine rather than God himself. You being Catholic i am sure there are far worse thing I could condemn you for. :yes

Mike said:
Oh, look! A thread about the Trinity. :o I was wondering when someone would get around to debating the Trinity. :bigfrown

It does seem like there are about 10 members who claim Christianity on this board who reject it. They seem to perpetuate the endless parade of threads that argue the point. Maybe this is an exaggeration, but it's definitely the minority.

What's interesting it Watchman and Francis agree on the point of this thread, and then off it goes into another Trinity discussion. We almost had peace. For two and a half posts there was peace. :shrug
Yep you are right Mike we almost had peace, but it wasn't I who borught up the Trinity/non trinity in this thread.
Francis wrote:
the one-flesh of humankind is in the image of the three persons of the Blessed Trinity.

jasoncran said:
can we try not to debate the trinity to much here and focus on eve and whose image she was created in.

having said that, the mother carries the dna record of the species, our mitocondrial dna comes from our mother and all its "rings"(markers)are traceable backwards.
Alright back on topic.

Adam and Eve were created in the image of God. Why because they were a living Spirit. However when they sinned there spirit died, and the rest of man kind are in the image of falling man not God. Until Christ came and now when we receive him as our Savior we are re-born into the image of God once again as our spirits become alive.

What’s the big deal about the Trinity? In a way, it is extra-biblical… in that the term itself isn’t in the Bible. I think everyone knows that. But the Trinity doctrine definitely isn’t Un-biblical at all; it’s just Christendom’s way of defining God according to the three separate offices He simultaneously holds… That’s all.

What’s the real argument here? I’ll bet it’s about whether or not Jesus is God… just a guess… ;)

Anyway, I agree with Francis on this creation/Adam & Eve issue. I like to think of it like this: God created mankind in His image. The text also uses the word “likenessâ€.

I’m sure God the Father is a masculine figure. At least, that’s how He presents Himself to us. That Eve is included in “mankind†doesn’t mean God must exhibit femininity. Nor does His apparent lack of femininity indicate that woman wasn’t made in God’s likeness.

Related extra-credit question: When we are in Heaven, when we are like Jesus, in our resurrection bodies, will we be men and woman? Do we retain our gender?

-HisSheep

then why did the lord say this about heaven? for there is none given in marriage and none taken in marriage in heaven.

jasoncran said:
no genders in heaven but on the return to earth in a new body. i wonder.

The elect will reign earth with Jesus for 1000 years. They are spiritual beings like Father and Jesus, most of His followers will be on earth.

jasoncran said:
then why did the lord say this about heaven? for there is none given in marriage and none taken in marriage in heaven.
What Jesus said is we will not marry or be given into marriage in Heaven. What He did not say is that we would be genderless. You are adding your own understanding to the text.

watchman F said:
jasoncran said:
What Jesus said is we will not marry or be given into marriage in Heaven. What He did not say is that we would be genderless. You are adding your own understanding to the text.
name one female spirit or angel. in the references to the time of gathering of saints paul mentions that will be like the lord, is the lord a male or female? and name me one female angel or spirit.

jasoncran said:
watchman F said:
jasoncran said:
name one female spirit or angel. in the references to the time of gathering of saints paul mentions that will be like the lord, is the lord a male or female? and name me one female angel or spirit.
I never said angels or spirits were male or female. What i am saying is that we will not loose our gender in the resurrection. We will remain male or female through out all eternity.

we have a temp stop in heaven, then on to earth. if you clairified the resurection of the body after the final judgment then i could agree.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back