Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Wazzup with FC BARCELONA?!! (News)

Guardiola and Di Matteo face off 12 years later

04/17/2012 10:00
12 years after playing against each other in the Champions League quarterfinal tie between FC Barcelona and Chelsea, the two men will face each other once again on Wednesday, but this time as managers

Chelsea_Bar_a_DiMatteo_Pep.v1334595052.jpg

Guardiola and Di Matteo
Di Matteo's trajectory
Roberto di Matteo took over the Chelsea bench from outgoing manager Villas-Boas in March of this year. As a footballer, Di Matteo played for three different Swiss teams at the start of his career -Schaffhausen, Zurich and Aarau- before playing for Lazio from 1993 through 1996. He arrive to Chelsea in 1996 and stays through 2002. In fact, it was with the London side that Di Matteo won most of his titles. He retired, at the age of 31 due to injury, as a Blue legend . “He’s doing a fantastic job and winning a lot of points,†said Guardiola on the current Chelsea manager.
This Wednesday, April 18th, Josep Guardiola and Roberto di Matteo will face each other as the managers of FC Barcelona and Chelsea, respectively, 12 years after the two played against each other as players while defending the Azulgrana and Blue strips. It was in the quarterfinal of the Champions League of the 1999-2000 season. On that occasion, Barça went on to the semifinals.
Magical night at the Camp Nou
The 3-1 at Stamford Bridge put Louis van Gaal ’s team in a difficult situation in the return leg at the Camp Nou. It was on this night that FC Barcelona put in a magical performance as the team fired five past Chelsea in overtime to secure a spot in the semifinals. The Catalans were later eliminated by Valencia.
Rivaldo , with two goals (24’ and 99’), Figo (45’), Dani (83’) and Kluivert (104’) were Barça’s goal scorers, while Flo scored for the English side. Di Matteo, who featured in the starting line-up at the Camp Nou, could do little to stop a Barça directed by Josep Guardiola.
Puyol also played
Guardiola is not the only FC Barcelona player that played against Chelsea in 2000 that’s still with the Club. Carles Puyol was also on the pitch that night. The Barça captain, who started and later came off for Abelardo after 86 minutes, battled with Flo for most the game.
In an interview with Revista Barça in 2005, Puyolrecounts “an impressive atmosphere†at the Camp Nou that night. He also talked about the days leading up to the return leg against Chelsea: “I remember the duel with Flo. Initially I wasn’t going to play that game, but Van Gaal, after a training session where I had to mark Kluivert said, ‘you can mark players that are taller than you with your powerful aerial play.’ I told him that I didn’t know if I could, but I definitely wanted to try. Two days before the match he told me that I was going to ply and that I had to mark Flo.â€

FCB,

VANESSA FORNS

UK press hail Barça ahead of Stamford Bridge clash

04/17/2012 11:03
The British press seem to have accepted Barça’s pre-eminence for quite a while now, and the overall feeling seems to make Guardiola’s team firm favourites to get through their semi final against Chelsea

lampardchelsea.v1331806667.jpg

Lampard (Chelsea). Foto: uefa.com
The British press seem to have accepted Barça’s pre-eminence for quite a while now, and the overall feeling seems to make Guardiola’s team firm favourites to get through their semi final against Chelsea.
Ahead of Barça’s tie with the Londoners, the UK press have been analysing the Catalans’ unique style and success, with the focus very much on what Chelsea can possibly do to stop them making it through to their second final on the run.
“A democratic revolutionâ€
In The Daily Telegraph, John Carlin and Michael Robinson trace the current Barça team’s development back to Rinus Michel and Johan Cruyff through Josep Guardiola and declare “Barça have signalled a democratic revolution in the sport. They have shown, through their success, that the qualities a football player requires to prosper are technical skill and intelligence on the ball. Size doesn’t matter; neither does the position of each player on the pitch. The striking thing about Guardiola’s team is that, while tactical discipline is strict, one is never sure exactly what position on the pitch at least three quarters of the players are supposed to occupyâ€.
Messi and Sanchez head the threat
Ex- Barça and Chelsea man Emmanuel Petit reckons Chelsea will be unable to cope with Lionel Messi and he comments in The Sun: “Nobody can control Messi, it’s impossible. He is acrazy guyâ€. BBC pundit Martin Keown writing in The Daily Mail meanwhile, believes: “Lionel Messi is the genius everyone watches but this season Barcelona have uncovered his perfect foil, Alexis Sanchez. He stalks the back four, running on the shoulder of the defensive line before darting into the box, pulling defenders out of the way and creating channels for Messi to run into. If defenders stay with Messi, Sanchezwill punish you instead. When Arsenal beat Barcelona last season, they sent their central defenders after Messi and that created a problem for Barcelona. But now, with Sanchez, they have someone who will run into the space from where the defender has come. You just wouldn’t want to be playing against himâ€.
Drogba or Torres upfront for Chelsea?
Turning to just what Chelsea can do to stop Barça, ex- England captain Terry Butcher, writingin The Daily Mirror, recalls a classic song from The Clash to define Di Matteo’s task: “Should I stay or should I go? That’s the dilemma facing Roberto Di Matteo this Wednesday when Chelsea take on the best team in the world. Should the Blues stay in their own half and defend the edge of their box – or should they go on the attack and push men forward?â€. Butcher believes: “the quick counter attack must be Chelsea’s main tactic over both matches, utilisingthe pace of Fernando Torres, but Chelsea cannot over commit. Barcelona can and will adapt their style of play, but patience and persistence have to be the key factors for the home sideâ€.
In contrast with Butcher’s support for Torres, James Olley in The London Evening Standard concludes that Didier Drogba’s man of the match performance against Spurs at the weekend means: “another one of his force-of-nature displays has surely ended all argument about who will start and given Pep Guardiola a genuine source of discomfort as he boards the plane to London. His ability to provide an effective outlet will be vital in relieving the pressure Barcelona will no doubt create on Chelsea’s rearguard. Drogba also represents a more viable option for reliability in front of gal than Torres, who is improving but there is no doubt who Barcelona would rather faceâ€.

FCB,

Nick Bedson

Iniesta recounts his stunning goal against Chelsea in 2009
www.fcbarcelona.cat 04/17/2012 10:50
Hours after his brilliant goal in Stamford Bridge, Andrés Iniesta sat down with Barça TV to talk about the match against Chelsea. Do you remember what he said?

QM3D3322.v1334596058.jpg

Hours after his brilliant goal in Stamford Bridge, Andrés Iniesta sat down with Barça TV to talk about the match against Chelsea. Here’s the video of the interview with the Spanish star.

FCB

Zubizarreta: “We’ll see football in its pureststateâ€

04/17/2012 13:13
He believes we will see “Chelsea at their best … fast and dynamic in midfieldâ€
He added that this European semi final is a reward for the good work the team has been doing since last July

2012-04-17_HOTEL_03.v1334661363.JPG

PHOTO: MIGUEL RUIZ-FCB
Remembering 2009
Naturally, Andoni Zubizarreta was asked what he recalls of Iniesta’s famous last-minute winnerat the same venue in 2009, which he attended as a match summariser. “I watched the game from a commentary box at Stamford Bridge and Iremember that it was very small. After the goal, it was hard to get out of thereâ€. But that game came under very different circumstances to this week’s rematch. “We were in a strong position in the league at the time, as we were in the cup. The season didn’t depend on the Champions League, which was the big prize that year. We wanted to believe that Barça wasn’t cursed like we thought back then, and that we were also able to win a game in the last minuteâ€.
Back to London. A city that brings back so many memories. The old and the new Wembley, Koeman, Alexanko, Abidal and Iniesta. The director of football, Andoni Zubizarreta, knows what a special place this is for Barcelona. “Going back to London reminds us of some great games.There are epic and historic elements, which is nice, but what matters most is that this is a Champions League semi final. It would have been the same if we’d been playing in Lisbonâ€.
Zubizarreta knows all about the atmosphere that awaits them at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday night. “Whenever I have played at English grounds, the crowd sings and supports their team with all their might. We’ll see footballin its purest stateâ€.
Reward for hard work
The next seven days will have a huge bearing onthe outcome of the season. Is that a good or bad thing? “Playing for everything in just seven days is the best thing there is. What we don’t like having to do is play meaningless games at the end of the seasonâ€, said Zubizarreta. “This is a crucial week thanks to everything we have doneso well since July 18. If we get it right now, then the crucial week will be that of the Champions League Final. We’ve built this up in small steps, ever since we lost to United in Miami during the preseasonâ€.
Chelsea ready
But for Chelsea, this semi final is also a reward for a good season’s work. “They have done as well as us to get here. Teams like Chelsea are always ready to compete and to play under hugepressure. I expect to see them at their very best.â€Asked what he admires most about the Premiership outfit, Zubi singled out “their fast and dynamic midfieldâ€.
No favourites
He also refused to acknowledge that Barça are favourites to qualify for the final in Munich. “It is no use at all to be labelled favourites in a Champions League semi final. I expect Chelsea to be highly motivated to qualify. They are competitive enough to be able to overcome difficult situations. They are a solid team, they have pace, they are strong one o one, and as whole they have plenty of competitive capacityâ€.

FCB,

Roger Bogunyà

A walk around London
04/17/2012 13:03
A walk around London

2012-04-17_HOTEL_06-Optimized.v1334661429.jpg
2012-04-17_HOTEL_04-Optimized.v1334661431.jpg
2012-04-17_HOTEL_08-Optimized.v1334661434.jpg
2012-04-17_HOTEL_05-Optimized.v1334661436.jpg
2012-04-17_HOTEL_09-Optimized.v1334661439.jpg
2012-04-17_HOTEL_11-Optimized.v1334661442.jpg

A walk around London / PHOTO: MIGUEL RUIZ - FCB

FCB

Spanish League Round Up Week 33

04/17/2012 13:30
With none of the four teams immediately behind Barça managing a win, the weekend’s games left the fight for European places still wide open, whilst at the bottom, Zaragoza refuse to lie down and die

2012-04-14_LEVANTE-BARCELONA_25.v1334446133.JPG

LEVANTE-BARCELONA / PHOTO: MIGUEL RUIZ - FCB
Valencia drop further behind
Real Madrid beat Sporting 3-1 at the Bernabéu to keep their four point lead ahead of next
week’s El Clásico, with Ronaldo, Higuain and Benzema wiping out De Cuevas’ early penalty
and perhaps as importantly, none of the Madrid players threatened with suspension picked up
a card. Valencia are a massive 33 points behind Madrid in third and they were thrashed 4-0 at
Espanyol on Sunday, with boss Unai Emery admitting afterwards: “we were inferior physically,
tactically and emotionallyâ€. Valencia are now just a point ahead of Málaga on 51, who were
denied a win at La Rosaleda by 10 man Real Sociedad, who lost Mikel Gonzalez for a second
yellow just before the break, but equalised at the start of the second and held on to deny their
hosts the three points.
Sevilla progress halted
With Levante (48 points) also losing, the pack of teams chasing had the chance to stake a claim
to a Europa Cup place and threaten fourth place, but they had mixed results. Osasuna sixth on
46 points had their midfield leader Raul Garcia sent off as they went down 1-0 at Betis, whilst
Sevilla saw their good run come to a shuddering halt when they were beaten 5-1 at Getafe,
despite an early Negredo opener. Sevilla stay on 45 points where they are joined by Espanyol
and Getafe, as well as Atlético Madrid and Athletic Bilbao, who both got important wins ahead
of this week’s Europa League semi finals.
Emotional display at San Mamés
It was an emotional game at San Mamés on Sunday as players and fans played homage to
the Bilbao fan who died last week. After being hit by a rubber bullet fired by police after the
Europa Cup quarter final Fernando Llorente produced a T-Shirt in honour of the dead fan to
celebrate his goal, which proved to be the winner as the game against Mallorca ended 1-0.
Atlético Madrid, meanwhile proved that they CAN win a Madrid derby, beating Rayo 0-1 at
Vallecas with Falcao notching up his 22nd strike of the campaign.
“We have the heart of a lion!â€
Zaragoza continue to defy the odds and as they trooped off at the Romareda after Sunday’s
1-0 win over Granada, their fans – who so recently seemed to have given up hope – cheered
them off with chants of “Yes, we can!â€. The win leaves them just 5 points behind Granada and
safety and even if they can’t make it, boss Manolo Jimenez reckons: “what I am witnessing is
faith. We are all in it together and we are working. We know that there are things wrong with
us, we know we have limitations, we know that there are things we haven't got. But we also
know what we have got and what we have got is the heart of a lion." Dujmovic scored early
on against Granada and although the visitors pressured for the remaining 90 odd minutes,
Zaragoza hung on and took the points. With Racing getting a sensational late equaliser against
Villarreal, who are level on 36 points with Granada, Zaragoza now have two teams to chase
over the last five games.

FCB,

Nick Bedson

FC Barcelona have additional tickets to the UEFA Futsal Cup's Final Four

Barça fans that want to go to the F4 in Lleida to support Marc Carmona’s men will be able to buy tickets on April 19th at 17:00

2011-11-20_ARAZ_NAX_IVAN_-_FCB_ALUSPORT_034.v1334661585.jpg

Saad Asis / PHOTO: ÀLEX CAPARRÓS-FCB
Demand for tickets to the Final Four in Lleida is extremely high. To date, all of the tickets to the UEFA Futsal Cup , which will be played in Lleida from the 27th through the 29th of April, reservedfor Barça fans have been sold.
Remember, the total number of seats at the Pabellón Barris Nord in Lleida is 4,877.
Additional tickets
UEFA have confirmed that a number of tickets reserved for the other three clubs in the competition, Sporting Clube de Portugal, Dynamo Moscow and Marca Futsal- have been returned.
These tickets will go on sale on the 19th of April at 17:00.
It’s worth noting that these tickets for the UEFA Futsal Cup can be bought on www.fcbarcelona.com . Tickets will also be available at the Club’s ticket windows as well as at the Llotja in Lleida.

FCB,

Carles Cascante

Chelsea receives Barça in Catalan

WWW.FCBARCELONA.CAT
The nearly 3,000 Barça fans that will make it to Stamford Bridge on Wednesday will be greeted in Catalan by the local team

2012-04-17_HOTEL_14.v1334673810.JPG

'Visitants Catalans' / PHOTO: MIGUEL RUIZ - FCB

Barça fans that make it to Stamford Bridge on Wednesday will be received in Catalan. The doors that give access to the stadium reserved for FC Barcelona members and Barça Supporters Clubs will be greeted by a banner that will read ‘ Visitans Catalns ’ (Catalan visitors). Announcements made over the stadium’s PA system will also be in Catalán.

FC Barcelona also receives fans from opposing teams in the Champions League at the Camp Nou in similar fashion. The doors, 46, 50, 51 and 52, of the Catalan stadium reserved for visiting fans greet the opposing team’s supporters with banners in their native language.

FCB

Sturridge's goal against Barça in 2004
www.fcbarcelona.cat 04/17/2012 10:24
In the summer of 2004 the Chelsea striker was playing for Manchester City.
Sturradge featured against FC Barcelona in the group stages of the Nike Premier Cup, which gathers the world’s best U15 teams. The Englishman scored the winning goal

Click on picture for video:
El gol d’Sturridge al Barça l’any 2004
Daniel Sturridge , Chelsea’s 22-year-old striker, knows what it’s like to score on FC Barcelona. In 2004, Sturridge, playing for Manchester City’s U15 side, was in Barcelona for the Nike Premier Cup . The player scored the winning goal against the Catalan side.

FCB

Cesc: “I signed for Barça to face challenges like the one against Chelseaâ€

04/17/2012 19:47
The player explained that the matches that Barça will play this week against Chelsea and Madrid “are the ones I was expecting to play andenjoy†when he signed for FC Barcelona
The Catalan believes that “Chelsea come into the match on the best form they’ve had all season,†but he warned that “we have been veryconsistent this season and we’ve overcome all types of obstaclesâ€

2012-04-17_ENTRENO_01.v1334685166.JPG

Where were you when Iniesta scored?
Cesc Fàbregas talked about Andrés Iniesta’s last-minute goal at Stamford Bridge. Arsenal, theteam he played for at the time, had been eliminated the day before the Chelsea-Barça match by Manchester United. Cesc, who was withhis family, recalls: “I was at home with my younger cousin. We thought Barça were eliminated and we were about to turn on the Playstation, but the goal changed everything. We were very happy. It was a disaster for me when we were eliminated, but my family was happy when they returned [to Barcelona].â€
Cesc Fàbregas has a dream and it’s to “win the Champions League, it’s what excites me the most.†The midfielder is very close to turning thisdream into a reality, but in order to do it his team must eliminate Chelsea, an opponent that he knows very well from his time at Arsenal. Theplayer, who arrived to FC Barcelona this summer,recognised that “I came here to improve and to have challenges like the ones that are waiting for us, Chelsea and Madrid. These are the types of games that I was expecting to play and enjoy.†Along these lines, the Catalan added thatlifting the Champions League trophy is “a great dream and I hope to realise it as an Azulgrana.â€
Wary of counterattacks
Cesc, who admitted that he fervently follows thePremier League, believes that Chelsea “come into the match on the best form they’ve had all season.†He noted the changes introduced by Roberto Di Matteo after Villas-Boas’ departure. “He’s made Chelsea return to the style that won them titles and made them great. They play on the counterattack and they all defend in the area,†he said. Cesc recalled his time in England when he faced Chelsea in the Premier League: “we dominated but with just one counterattack, Drogba scores. It’s almost always the same story.They are very strong on defence and they aren’t forgiving when they have the ball. They are ‘killers’ up top, we need to be very aware.â€
When asked if Chelsea will be out for revenge after Iniesta’s goal in the Champions League tie in 2009, the midfielder said that “it’s a very recent thing for the players and the fans, they don’t forget easily. This will be extra motivation for them.â€
Capable of going through
Cesc knows that his team will face a very strong Chelsea tomorrow night, but “we’ve been very consistent this season and we’ve overcome all types of obstacles. Itâ€s not about being on form, it’s about winning and taking Barça to the final in Munich. We’re capable of doing it.â€

FCB,

Anna Segura

Guardiola: “It will be a tie with very few goalsâ€

04/17/2012 20:13
The manager highlights Chelsea’s winning attitude and he notes that “small details will decide which team makes it to the finalâ€
Guardiola considers it “the best gift†to once again be in the semi-finals of the Champions League
The manager is clear that his team “must have the capacity to interpret the game well or we’ll have a terrible timeâ€

2012-04-17_ENTRENO_11.v1334687120.JPG

The 2009 semi-final tie
Josep Guardiola recalls the 2009 semi-final tie: “it was very tough, I imagine this one will be similar. In the away leg they were very defensive. In the return leg, Essien’s goal allowed them to use their greatest asset, the counterattack. After Abidal was sent off, we had difficulties, and Chelsea created a lot of counterattacks. Víctor saved us. That final exciting push at the end is what put us through.â€
Josep Guardiola assured the packed press room that his team is very aware of the difficulties of tomorrow’s Champions League semi-final match at Stamford Bridge. The Azulgrana manager saidthat tomorrow’s match “is against one of the best teams in recent years,†and that “it will be atie with very few goals where small details will decide which team makes it to the final.â€
Guardiola recognised that it’s been difficult for him to figure out “how to create goal-scoring chances†against the English side and he warnedthat “in a stadium like this we must interpret thegame well, if we don’t we’ll have a terrible time.†Guardiola noted that “it will be more difficult to get to the final this year,†specifically for two reasons, “first, because we are reigning champions and everyone wants to beat us, and second because we’re playing against a very good team. Lampard, Terry, Drogba... they are very important players.â€
“It will be more complicated"
Guardiola said that Chelsea “are experts in a lot of things, but perhaps they haven’t had the capacity to maintain their consistency throughout a long competition, but in a shorter one they are one of the most dangerous sides.†The manager is convinced that his team “must have the capacity to interpret the game well or we’ll have a terrible time.†He added, “the only thing I’m sure of is that this will be more complicated than the tie in 2009.â€
Chelsea, with the same spirit
When asked about the changes this Chelsea sidepresents to the one in 2009, Guardiola said “theyhave the same spirit. We admire these unique footballers that have maintained themselves over the years. They’re competitive in the Premier League and in Europe. We can only admire these players. They’ve had different managers, but the core and the spirit is the same.â€
Finally, in response Ibrahimovic’s claim that Barça’s players dive, Guardiola said “he plaed with these players, he’s very aware of the quality they have. They get the ball and they pass it; they don’t dive.â€

FCB,

VANESSA FORNS

Barça return to the scene where it all started
www.fcbarcelona.cat 04/17/2012 19:46
The 22 footballers named to FC Barcelona team against Chelsea in the Champions League semi-final trained this Tuesday evening at Stamford Bridge

2012-04-17_ENTRENO_42-Optimized.v1334691187.v1334694194.jpg

Iniesta
Stamford Bridge will always be embedded in the memories of Barça fans after Iniesta’s goal on May 6th 2009 which saw Barça through to thefinal in Rome. This Tuesday evening, the Spanishmidfielder and his teammates returned to the scene where it all started in preparation for tomorrow’s Champions League semi-final match against Chelsea.
Training session under the rain
Under the cold English rain, the 22 footballers (18 first-team footballers and 4 reserve players) named to FC Barcelona’s team completed a training session ahead of tomorrow’s match. The match against Chelsea will kick off tomorrow at 20:45 (TV3).

FCB

Chelsea - FC Barcelona: Did you know...?
www.fcbarcelona.cat 04/18/2012 09:00
Here are some curious stats and facts about the Champions League match between Chelsea and FC Barcelona at Stamford Bridge

chelsea-fcb.v1334678637.jpg

Chelsea - FC Barcelona (2008/09 season) / PHOTO: ARXIU FCB
- The last time Barça and Chelsea played againsteach other was on May 6th 2009, in the return leg of the Champions League semifinals at Stamford Bridge. Andrés Iniesta ’s stoppage-timegoal qualified Guardiola ’s men for the final in Rome. FC Barcelona would go on to claim the title after beating Manchester United.
- The two teams have played against each other in UEFA competitions 10 times. Each team have won three times and there have been four draws .
- This is the fifth consecutive season FC Barcelona have made it to the Champions League semifinals . While Chelsea have qualifiedfor this round six times in the last nine seasons.
- Chelsea have won five consecutive matches at Stamford Bridge in the Champions League this season . They’ve scored 16 goals and only conceded 2. Barça, before drawing at the San Siro against Milan, had a four-match winning streak in the Champions League away from the Camp Nou.
- The last time Barça played in England was last season in the Champions League final in Wembley against Manchester United. Guardiola’s men lifted the European trophy for the fourth time in Club history.
- Barça’s record against English teams is 24 games won, 18 drawn and 16 lost . Away from home, Barça have won 6, drawn 8 and lost 13. In terms of winning ties against English sides, Barça have won 10 and lost 9 .
- In Barça’s 10 Champions League matches this season, they’ve scored 33 goals, making them the team with the most goals in the this edition of the competition. Chelsea, of the four semifinalists, have scored the least amount of goals (21) and are the team that have conceded the most (9).
- Messi , top goal scorer of the Champions Leaguewith 14 goals, is the player that has scored the most goals in a single Champions League edition. Furthermore, Barça’s Argentine, who has63 goals to his name in all competitions, is only four goals away from drawing level with Gerd Müller ’s record as the player with the most goalsin a single season.
- Masherano and Puyol are one yellow card away from suspension. Chelsea’s Ivanovic , DavidLuiz , Meireles and Ashley Cole are in the same situation.
- Fernando Torres , now playing for Chelsea, has scored 7 goals from 10 games against Barça while playing for Atlético Madrid . During his time at the Spanish club, he beat Barça four times, drew four times and only lost twice.
- Chelsea have a player in the team that learned to play in Barça’s La Masia . Oriol Romeu , who played 41 games for Barça B from 2009 to 2011 and made his debut for the first team, left Barcelona for London at the start of this season.

FCB

Five-year anniversary of Messi's Maradona-like goal
www.fcbarcelona.cat 04/18/2012 09:15
Five years ago to the day Leo Messi scored one ofthe best goals of his career. It was against Getafe in the away leg of the King’s Cup semifinals

CLICK ON PICTURE TO VIEW VIDEO

Cinc anys del gol maradonià de Messi
Messi probably wants his team to feature in the headlines this evening after tonight’s match against Chelsea. But the Argentine himself is the center of attention for another reason altogether: this Wednesday is the five-year anniversary of the Maradona-like goal he scoredagainst Getafe in the semifinals of the King’s Cupin the 2006/07 season. Congratulations, Leo!

FCB

Last edited by a moderator:
Terry and Puyol, club captains and icons

04/18/2012 10:00
John Terry and Carles Puyol cross paths once again on Wednesday night at Stamford Bridge after following almost parallel lives

terrrypuyi.v1334678480.jpg

Terry and Puyol.
Chelsea and Barça have plenty of experience in their defences. And at the heart of one and
the other are John Terry and Carles Puyol . Both are captains, both have a wealth of experience
and both have experienced similar careers. The Englishman is 31 years old and the Catalan is
34, and both grew up through the youth systems at their respective clubs and are considered
living legends by their supporters, who have been enjoying the two stars since 1998 and 1999
respectively.
More than 1,000 games between them
Terry and Puyol have captained Chelsea and Barça since 2004/05. Both have played more than
500 official games for the clubs where they havespent their entire professional careers. The
Londoner, although a midfielder in his formative years, has always been a centre back since
turning pro. But Puyol started out as a striker, joined the first team as a right back and has now
consolidated his role as centre back. Both have strong personalities, are strong in the air and
generally respect fair play (Terry has been sent off just four times and Puyol only twice).
Both players are also regulars with their international teams and have had to overcome serious
injuries. John Terry had a back operation in 2007and Puyol underwent knee surgery last
summer.
Internationally recognised
During his illustrious career, Terry has been named Best Defender in the Champions League
three times (2005, 2008 and 2009) and Puyol once (2006). The former’s eleven titles are an all-
time Chelsea record, while Puyol has 18 winners medals, including three for the Champions
League. Both have played central roles in the four home and away encounters between the
Blues and Barça in the last seven years, and will be relishing the opportunity to meet again on
Wednesday evening.

FCB,

Aleix Santacana / Jordi Clos

Chelsea - FC Barcelona Champions League semi-final, in detail
www.fcbarcelona.cat 04/18/2012 10:20
Get all the information on the Champions Leaguesemi-final tie between Chelsea and FC Barcelona

chelsea-fcb_4_-Optimized.v1333623938.jpg

Eto'o hugs Iniesta after the final whistle at Stamford Bridge (2009). PHOTO: MIGUEL RUIZ-FCB.
The Champions League semi-final tie between Chelsea FC and FC Barcelona begins tonight at 20:45 (TV3). FC Barcelona, after eliminating AC Milan in the quarter-finals (0-0, 3-1), return to Stamford Bridge, where Andrés Iniesta scored one of the most memorable goals in Club history.
Be sure not to miss the analysis, interviews, press conferences, videos and photos of the build-up to tonight’s match:
[+] Articles
- Focus switches to Chelsea
- Chelsea - FC Barcelona: Same teams different trajectories
- Mascherano: Chelsea first
- Barça haven't won their last five matches against Chelsea
- Andrés Iniesta: "The team is looking good, I'm optimistic"
- 22 players named to squad ahead of Stamford Bridge clash
- FC Barcelona arrive in London
- Torres and Mascherano spent three years together at Liverpool
- Guardiola and Di Matteo face off 12 years later
- Chelsea receive Barça in Catalan
- UK pess hail Barça ahead of Stamford Bridge clash
- Zubizarreta: "We'll see football in its purest state"
- Pre-match press conference, Di Matteo:"Without a doubt, we'll go out to win"
- Barça return to the scene where it all started
- Pre-match press conference, Cesc Fàbregas: "I signed for Barça to face challenges like the one against Chelsea"
- Pre-match press conference, Pep Guardiola: "It will be a tie with very few goals"
- ]Chelsea-Barça: Did you know...?
- Chelsea-Barça: Match preview
- Terry and Puyol, club captains and icons
[+] VIDEOS
- Iniesta recounts his stunning goal against Chelsea
- Sturrige's goal against Barça in 2004

FCB

Chelsea - FC Barcelona: We love London

04/18/2012 10:20
Whenever Barça have won the European title, they have played at least one game in London, either in the final or against Chelsea
The semi final against Chelsea brings back memories of the famous Iniesta goal in 2009 that won the team its ticket to Rome
Puyol and Mascherano are one card short of suspension, as are Chelsea’s Ivanovic, David Luiz,Cole and Meireles

2012-02-26_ATLETICO-BARCELONA_24.v1334676844.JPG

The team will play in their black kit at Stamford Bridge / PHOTO: ARXIU FCB
In one way or another, FC Barcelona’s Champions League history is very closely
associated to London. It was here where they won the final in both 1992 and 2011 , and
also where they travelled in 2006 and 2009 to eliminate Chelsea in the round of 16 and
semi finals. In fact, every time Barça have been crowned European champions it has
involved a visit to London in some form or other. And now they are back in the English
capital in search of another victory against The Blues, in the first leg of a semi final that
immediately brings back to mind Iniesta’s unforgettable last minute goal in 2009.
22 players
Iniesta is one of the 22 players that Guardiola has taken to London as part of a squad
that features all 18 available first team players and four from Barça B ( Oier , Montoya ,
Bartra and Tello ). Four of those will have to be dropped from the definitive match
squad. Ibrahim Afellay is included for his first away trip since getting injured, while
Seydou Keita also returns after being declared fully fit on Monday.
Both Puyol and Mascherano will have to be careful. Both players are just one booking
away from suspension. However, the Premiership side has even more concerns in that
respect, with all of Ivanovic , David Luiz , Ashley Cole and Meireles just one yellow card
short of an enforced absence from the return leg at the Camp Nou.
Memories of 2009
It is hard to ignore what happened at the same venue three years ago, when Iniesta
scored a dramatic goal in the second minute of injury time to send Barça into the Rome
final. But the circumstances aren’t quite the same today, for this time it is the first leg
that will be staged at Stamford Bridge, and Chelsea are arguably not as formidable a
rival as they were a few years ago. They are in sixth place in the Premier League, two
points adrift of local rivals Tottenham, and have not yet ensured a place in next year’s
Europa League, let alone the Champions league.
Di Matteo rings the changes
But they have defied their poor domestic form tostring together an impressive run in
Europe. They beat Napoli in extra time in the round of sixteen, and then overcame
Benfica in a gripping quarter final encounter. Di Matteo , who has taken over from the
sacked Villas-Boas , has not taken long to turn the fortunes around for a team that, on
the basis of both players and prestige, will present a very difficult challenge indeed for
the defending champions. With just this game standing between both teams and place
in the Munich final, we can expect events at Stamford Bridge and the Camp Nou to be
just as thrilling as the many past encounters between these two great sides.

FCB,

Roger Bogunyà

SUPPORTERS CLUBS
Blaugrana evening on the bed of the Thames
www.fcbarcelona.cat 04/18/2012 13:12
The Penya Blaugrana London of Great celebrated a Barça dinner on the mark of the Chelsea – Barça match on Wednesday

DSC05002.v1334749272.JPG
DSC05001.v1334748706.JPG

Josep M. Barnils at the celebration of the Penya Blaugrana London of Great Britain

On Tuesday evening, the London supporters’ clubs made the English capital a little bit more blaugrana. On the mark of the first leg of the Champions League Semifinals with Chelsea, the culés residing in the Thames city celebrated a Barça colour dinner.
Josep M. Barnils , director of the Social Comission and responsible for the foreign penyes was FC Barcelona representative on this event. About 70people went to Bar&Co, the penya headquarters,which is a boat on the river waters, to make Barça where the Guardiola team was crowned as European champions last year.
New president of the penya Eduard Mañas welcomed with satisfaction the FC Barcelona delegation, as well as the other supporters clubs representatives that travelled to the United Kingdom the day before the match. Now, the blaugrana events are still on with a Barça fans gathering at Trafalgar Square on Wednesday afternoon which will be attended by Josep M. Barnils and chief directon of the Social Comission Pau Vilanova will also be there. The activities will follow until kick off at Stamford Bridge.

FCB

Leo Messi, named one of the world’s most influential people by TIME Magazine
Jordi Clos 04/18/2012 16:54
TIME, the prestigious North American magazine, named Leo Messi to their annual 100 Most Influential People in the World list. He’s the only footballer to feature on the list
Mia Hamm defines Messi as “an incredible team playerâ€

FCB-VALENCIA_18_.v1329755168.JPG

Gol de Messi
Each year TIME selects the 100 most influential people in the world , the personalities that makeup his year’s TIME 100 are people that “inspire us, entertain us, challenge us and change our world.†La Masia graduate and FC Barcelona striker Leo Messi made the list along with other athletes, like NBA star Jeremy Lin and the tennis player Novak Djokovic. There are no other footballers that feature in this year’s TIME 100.
Hamm: “Incredibly talented and humbleâ€
The ex-player and now Barça ambassador Mia Hamm explained the reasons behind Messi’s selection. “ He’s incredibly talented and humble, †writes Hamm. The two-time FIFA World Player described the day she met the Argentine star: “He was a bit shy — some of that can be attributed to the language barrier — but I was able to watch their training, and it was clear he was an incredible teammate.â€
Hamm believes that Messi “ certainly has the potential to be remembered as the best player of all time .†This isn’t the first time Messi has graced the pages of the magazine. In January, TIME ’s cover featured the portrait of the FC Barcelona star with the title King Leo .

FCB

Back