Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Wazzup with FC BARCELONA?!! (News)

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
CLUB
Kubala’s early years

05/17/2012 16:15
Ten years after his death, we look back at the Hungarian’s early years and his arrival at Barça
The Cold War is key to understanding the context in which Kubala took his first steps as a professional footballer
A fantastic performance in Sarrià opened the doors to Kubala’s joining Barça- but he still had to sit out almost a whole year before he could make his debut for the Club

5_-_GOL_DE_KUBALA_A_LES_CORTS_LLIGA_51-52_.v1337178025.jpg

Kubala celebrates a goal in Les Corts, 1951-52 /PHOTO: ARXIU FCB
Ladislau Kubala was a player who very much defined a before and after for FC Barcelona, but one of the least known facets of his life is his early years in the turbulent pre-war era and then during the cold war which so affected his native Hungary. Today, ten years after his death, we recall those early years.
The boy with the ball
Ladislau Kubala Stecz was born on June 10th 1927 in the outskirts of Budapest. His father, Pavel, was a builder and his mother Anne, worked in a cardboard box factory. Both of them were Slovaks and had cometo the Hungarian capital to escape from the extreme poverty of Bratislava.
Kubala, however, enjoyed a happy childhood and he was always a keen footballer from hisearly days – encouraged by his school teachers who saw in the stocky fair haired boy the makings of a star. Kubala had a footballing background of course, as his father had also turned out for Ferencvaros.
His mother made balls of paper and cardboard which the young Kubala – known in his neighbourhood as “the boy with the ball†–was to be found playing wherever he could – on the streets, in the parks, on any piece of wasteland he could find.
A young star
In 1939, when he was still just 11 years old, he was already playingfor Ganz, but the outbreak of the war meant that organised football was put on hold, so not until the 1944/45 season did Kubala return to the limelight when he signed his first professional contract with Ferencvaros. Soon after he earned his first call up for the national team.
In 1945, he signed for Bratislava, one of the top Slovakian teams and in another example of his total commitment to the game, he asked the club to let him sleepat the ground so that he could train even more. His coach was Fernando Daucik, later to becomehis brother-in-law. Two years later he had really arrived – winning 10 caps for Czechoslovakia and the league title with Bratislava. On 17th April1947, he married Anna Viola Daucik, his coach’s sister.
Soon after, the directors of Vasas – the new name for Ferencvaros- convinced him to re-sign and on his return to Budapest he showed his generosity by taking all the many poor people he came across in the city to a clothes shop where he treated them to new clothes. On the field,Vasa won the Central European Tournament and he again appeared for the Hungarian national team.
Escape from Hungary
However Kubala felt stifled in theatmosphere of post-war Hungaryand after a Vasa game at the startof 1948 he escaped to Austria with a number of team mates. Hisescape in a lorry and then on foot, involved him dressing up as a soviet soldier at one point, but eventually they climbed over the snowy peaks to reach Austria. His wife and son, Branko, were left behind in Czechoslovakia and he was not to meet up with them again until June 1949.
Kubala arrived in Innsbruck, the capital of Tyrol and close to the Italian border. At Busto Arsizio, close to Milan, a team called Pro Pàtria played and they attemptedto sign Kubala, only for the Hungarian Federation to deny him, but a promise from the FIFA President that a one-year suspension would resolve the problem, led to Kubala finally signing on March 20th 1948.
He played a number of friendly games for the Italians, but his case dragged on and Torino began to express an interest in signing him. The Italian giants invited him to Portugal where they were playing in Lisbon, but as he was preparing to leave, Kubala received the news that hiswife and son had left Czechoslovakia and were waitingfor him Udine. The missed trip proved to be a lucky break, as on their return from Lisbon on May 4th 1949, the Torino party suffered a horrific plane crash which ended the lives of virtuallythe whole team.
Things became even more difficult for Kubala in Italy now and he was forced to live with his family in the old Cinecittà filmstudios in Rome, which were being used to house refugees. Fernando Daucik, who had also fled Bratislava, suggested the formation of a team of expats to 'play against the nations who were offering to take the refugees in. The new team played against Espanyol at on June 15th 1950 and Kubala was the star of the game – scoring four goals.
Signs for Barça
Agustí Montal i Galobart, the thenFC Barcelona President, watched the game and told the technical secretary Josep Samitier: “that kid is extraordinary. We can’t let him go – prepare a contract rightnow!†Within a few hours, Kubala was a Barça player, but even though Daucik had become manager at the Club, Kubala was still banned and the team had to settle for fourth place in the 1950/51 season.
The happy ending to Kubala’s troubles came just as Kubala was about to be granted Spanish citizenship (something he finally got on June 1st 1951), when FIFA formally announced that his linkswith Vasas were broken, as the Hungarian authorities had no jurisdiction over what was now aforeign player. On the point of reaching 24, Kubala finally received permission to play in April 1951 and the footballer who was to become a Barça legend was born again in Catalonia.

FCB,

Manel Tomàs

Unanimous tributes to Kubalaon 10th anniversary of his death
www.fcbarcelona.cat 05/17/2012 17:00

2012-05-17_CONMEMORACION_10_ANIVERSARIO_MUERTE_LADISLAO_KUBALA_003.v1337248851.jpg

FC Barcelona made a floral offering at the statue to Kubala at the Camp Nou to mark the tenth anniversary of his passing on May 17th 2002
At the same time the Espai Kubalain the Museum, dedicated to the Hungarian, opened
Club President Sandro Rosell led the tributes at the statue to Kubala at the Camp Nou to mark the tenth anniversary of his death and stressed three important things the Hungarian is remembered for: “the Camp Nou – it was him who made the Les Corts too small for all our fans– his generosity and the universaladmiration he inspiredâ€.
“Everyone spoke well of him - hewas a Barça legend and thanks tohim Barça took a gigantic step forward. We will come together to remember him whenever we can because it’s down to people like him that this is one of the most important clubs in the worldâ€.
Alongside the President were various board members headed by vice-president Jordi Cardoner ,the president of the Agrupació Barça Jugadors, Ramon Alfonseda , family members such as his son Ladislau and many ex-teammatesand ex-players. Alfonseda summed up the general feeling when he spoke, explaining: “we are proud to celebrate this anniversary. Kubala brought so much to our Clubâ€.
Espai Kubala at the Museu
Alongside the tribute, the Club Museum opened the Espai Kubala, which boasts a host of photos of the Hungarian, who played for the Club from 1951 till 1961, as well as texts explaining his importance to the team and the Club as a whole.
The space also contains a frame split into two parts: on the one there are the four most important events of his time at the Club – his arrival , his footballing art, his leaving and his farewell. Below that are his honours won over 345 games in which he scored 280 goals.
His boots, his shirt and even a Barça dressing gown, the contract he signed to join the Club, his passport, awards and a number of his coaching badges are also on show in what is a very special space.

FCB

Afternoon training session at Sant Joan Despí
www.fcbarcelona.cat 05/17/2012 19:01
The first-team players, including Alexis and Pinto, trained this afternoon at Barça's training facilities.

2012-05-17_ENTRENO_51.v1337280293.JPG

Piqué, durant l'entrenament / FOTO: MIGUEL RUIZ-FCB
Barça continue to prepare for the Cup Final against Athletic Club. This Thursday afternoon thefirst-team players, including Alexis and Pinto (who still does not have medical clearance to play), completed a closed-door training session. Thiago , however, was absent. The midfielder came down with a stomach flu and was sent home by the Club’s Medical Services.
The Barça B players Tello , Montoya and Bartra also trained with the squad. This was the first training session without Dani Alves , who broke his clavicle in yesterday’s training session. The Brazilian defender joins Puyol , Fontàs , Abidal and Villa on the injury list.

FCB

Adriano: “I'm at my bestâ€

05/17/2012 19:02
The Brazilian defender, who has featured in nine consecutive starting line-ups, hopes to be on form for the King's Cup Final
On his future, Adriano said that he intends to stay at FC Barcelona. "I have two years left on my contract and I’m going through a good time in my personal career"

2012-05-17_ENTRENO_17.v1337274281.JPG

Adriano on his way to the press room / PHOTO: MIGUEL RUIZ - FCB
“I’m enjoying my best form sinceI arrived. I feel great and comfortableâ€
"I have two years left on my contract and I’m going through agood time in my personal career"
During today’s press conference, Adriano said that he’s going through his best spell of form since he arrived at FC Barcelona in the summer of 2010. Furthermore, the defender has been enjoying quite a bit of playing time due to the recent string of injuries to Barça’s back line. The Brazilian said that “I’m enjoying my best form since I arrived. I feel great and comfortable,†he also noted that his good form is due to the hard he’s put in with the first team. “I’ve always worked hard and I’ve always tried to improve. I’ll continue to take care of myself.â€
Objective: King’s Cup
The player is hoping to maintain his current from ahead of the King’s Cup Final against Athletic Club on May 25. “I’m happy, and I hope to be at this level in the last match of the season.†On the Cup Final, Adriano explained that winning the title has been the team’s goal since the beginning of the season and that the recent elimination from the Champions League and failed Liga title bid have no bearing on the importance placed on the Cup by the team. He also said that lifting the King’s Cup would be the perfect way to say goodbye to Guardiola . “We want to win this final for him.â€
Adriano's future
On his future, Adriano was clear that he has no intention of leaving Barça. “I haven’t listened to any offers. I’m very happy at Barça. I have two years left on mycontract and I’m going through agood time in my personal career. I want to be here next season, I still have a lot of things to accomplish,†said the defender.
He also talked about Dani Alves , who broke his clavicle on Wednesday: "it’s a shame. He’s fundamental for us, even more soin a final.†However, Adriano saidthat he’s confident in players like Martín Montoya , who can fill the void left by Dani Alves. On the rumours about Dani Alves’ possible departure at the end of the season, Adriano said that “he’s the best right-wing defender that I’ve ever played with. He’sa footballer that’s very important within the group and if he stays he’ll maintain the levelof play that he’s always had.â€

FCB,

Anna Segura

Barça 2.0

Social networks and Wembley20 years after

www.fcbarcelona.cat 05/18/2012 10:42

The FC Barcelona Twitter, Facebook and Tencent Weibo pages are promoting actions to commemorate the twentieth anniversary of the club’s first European Cup

wmbley92.v1337334757.jpg

Gol de Koeman (Wembley).

Sunday May 20, 2012 will mark exactly twenty years since FC Barcelona lifted the European Cup for the first time ever and social networks will be commemorating the event all day. There will be plenty of interaction between fans on the Twitter, Facebook and Tencent Weibo pages.

Sharing unforgettable memories

Everyone can describe their experiences of that wonderful night of May 20, 1992 using the hashtags #wembley1992 on Twitter or #wembley1992# on Tencent Weibo. The FC Barcelona Facebook page will also be sharing emotions. At the same time, fans can send in pictures and recordings of the day that Ronald Koeman made Barça champions of Europe.

Wembley ’92 quiz

On Sunday, the Barça Twitter andTencent Weibo accounts will also be setting questions related to that historic Barça v Sampdoria clash. The three first correct answers to each question will geta mention. Barça’s Facebook page will also be setting a multiple choice quiz related to the 1992 final.

FCB

FOOTBALL
The Calderón is Messi territory

05/18/2012 10:58
The Argentinian has scored nine goals in the stadium that will be hosting the Copa del Rey Final on May 25

atm-fcb_24_.v1337331820.jpg

Leo Messi feels at home at the Vicente Calderón / PHOTO: ARCHIVEFCB
Leo Messi feels at home at the Vicente Calderón. There are few places other than the Camp Nou that have seen him find the target so often. He’s scored eight goals at the Calderón for Barça and one for Argentina . Here, we remember them all.
League. Atlético Madrid v FCB (0-6, May 20, 2007). 2 goals. Leo Messi scored the first and sixth onan amazing night for Barça. His two goals against Atlético Madridhelped keep FC Barcelona in contention for the title, although ultimately it would slip away from them.
Cup. Atlético Madrid v FCB (1-3, January 6, 2009). 3 goals . A phenomenal showing from Messi sent Barça comfortably into the quarter finals of the Copa del Rey.His hat-trick was so impressive that the home fans actually applauded him.
League. Atlético Madrid v FCB (4-3, March 1, 2009). 1 goal. The Argentinian made it 2-0 to his side, but the mattress-makers ended up winning an astonishing match. It was Messi’s sixth goal at the Calderón.
Friendly international. Spain v Argentina (2-1, November 14, 2009). 1 goal. Messi has also scored at the Calderón for his national team. He scored a penalty for the side then managed by Diego Armando Maradona to pull level against Spain.
League. Atlético Madrid v FCB (1-2, September 19, 2010). 1 goal. A good and bad day for the best player in the world. Messi opened the scoring with a subtle strike but didn’t finish the game after suffering the effects of a tough tackle from Ujfalusi towards the end.
League. Atlético Madrid-FCB (1-2, February 26, 2010). 1 goal. His free kick was a scorcher that caught Courtois and his entire defence completely by surprise, winning the game right at the end when it looked like it was heading for a draw. In six league games at the Calderón, Messi has scored five times.

FCB,

Roger Bogunyà

Campus Penyes: Teaching values

www.fcbarcelona.cat 05/18/2012 11:25
Seven campuses are being set up around Spain this summer

imatgeweb.v1337333945.jpg

Campus Penyes 2012

The Campuses

We hereby provide details on dates and venues for Campus Penyes 2012:

Ontinyent (Valencia), from 24 to 30 of June

San Pedro de Alcántara (Malaga), from 1 to 7 of July

Almendralejo (Badajoz), from 8 to 14 of July

Garachico (Tenerife), from 1 to 7 and from 8 to 14 of July

Monforte de Lemos (Lugo), from 15 to 21 of July

Mieres del Camino (Asturias), from 15 to 21 of July

La Nucía (Alicante), from 22 to 28 of July

Once again, the supporters clubs are doing their bit to promote the FC Barcelona values to young people. Once of the objectives of the Penyes Segle XXI project is to get more young people involved in the movement, and one of the methods is what are called the Campus Penyes. On Thursday, the campuses in Valencia and Alicante were officially presented.

This year there are seven being organised all around Spain. There were many more candidates, but the Events and Activities Commission narrowed them down to the present number in accordance with a set of pre-established requirements.

Inscriptions

Inscriptions are to be open shortly for the different modalities (internal, external or training sessions only) for children aged from 7 to 15 years.

Also in Mallorca

The supporters clubs in Mallorca have also played an active role inorganising campuses on the island. From late June through to July, three campuses will be held in Portals. In the first fortnight of July there will also be two more campuses, one in Manacor and another in Alcúdia.

FCB

Nine reserves in last session of the week
www.fcbarcelona.cat 05/18/2012 12:02

2012-05-18_ENTRENO_87-Optimized.v1337342239.jpg

The Copa del Rey Final preparations have continued with the presence of several Barça B players
Thiago, suffering from a stomachvirus, stayed in the gym
The next session is on Monday evening
The players have now been given two days to rest and refocus in preparation for Friday’s cup final
Barça trained for last time this week at the Ciutat Esportiva Joan Gamper. Nine players were brought in from the B team, namely Bartra, Tello, Montoya, Planas, Sergi Roberto, Sergi Gómez, Riverola, Dos Santos and Muniesa. Thiago Alcántara, who still hasn’t recovered from a stomach virus, worked out alone in the gym.
The other players, including Alexis and Pinto despite neither of them having been declared fully fit, trained in all normality. The players have now been giventwo days to rest and refocus in preparation for Friday’s cup final.They will meet again for training on Monday evening.

FCB

Xavi expects great match

05/18/2012 13:58

The Barça midfielder reckons Athletic Bilbao will offer “a toughand physical matchâ€

“We have players that are very ready to cover for the missing defenders†he adds

And in response to rumours in the media, he says “Guardiola and Vilanova have an excellent relationshipâ€

2012-05-18_ENTRENO_120.v1337342074.JPG

PHOTO: MIGUEL RUIZ-FCB

Exactly one week before the cup final, one of the FC Barcelona captains, Xavi Hernández, has warned how dangerous Athletic Bilbao can be. “They are a very demanding opponent, because they mark man to man. They are a physically strong side, they run for 90 minutes and create a lot ofpressure up front. Llorente, for example, never stops running. Such intensity doesn’t leave us with much time to think.†He alsocommented today that “it’ll be a great match. I think it’ll be very tough and physicalâ€.

Guaranteed defenders

Xavi Hernández also spoke about the depleted defensive resources at the club. “We are missing important players, like Puyol, Abidal and Alves, these are big losses, but Adriano is playing spectacular football, Montoya is good enough to play in a final and Mascherano and Piqué are on form. We have very well prepared people to cover for the absences in defenceâ€.

Xavi also spoke about how much his team is looking forward to the final at the Calderón, even though this has been an ‘atypical’week due to there not being a game.

Tito the right choice

Xavi reckons that the lack of match action is the precise reason why the press is instead filling its pages with rumours. “These things are inevitable. Everyone is free to speak their mind, but the squad are only concentrating on the final. Everything is quite normal, the relationship between Guardiola and Tito is excellent and we are all united. But what we can’t do is control what goes on around us†he said.

On the matter of the new head coach, Xavi said “Tito is a highly respected figure among the players. He sees a lot of football and is passionate about this game. He knows the place and healso played a key role in the successes of the last four years. He’s the least drastic hange, and the right choiceâ€.

FCB,

Roger Bogunyà

Pinto, Piqué and Puyol most used in the cup

05/19/2012 15:24
The goalkeeper is the only playerthat has played every minute (720) of FCB’s Copa del Rey campaign, while the two centre backs have only missed one match
Leo Messi is only the tenth most used Barça player in the tournament

FCB_-_VALENCIA_CF_64_.v1337359831.JPG

Piqué i Puyol, en les semis davantel València. FOTO: MIGUEL RUIZ-FCB.
Piqué i Puyol, en les semis davantel València. FOTO: MIGUEL RUIZ-FCB.
Barça play the Copa del Rey Final on Friday after winning two-legged matches against Valencia, Real Madrid, Osasuna and L’Hospitalet. José Manuel Pinto is the only player who appeared in all of those matches, 720 minutes, and Víctor Valdés and the injured Afellay who played no part.
The outfield players that have contributed the most are Gerard Piqué and Carles Puyol, with six complete matches each (630 minutes). But the captain will miss the game with Athletic Bilbao with a knee injury.
Messi tenth most active
One curiosity is that three times winner of the Ballon d’Or, Leo Messi, is only the tenth most usedplayer, with 422 minutes in 6 games. After Pinto, Piqué and Puyol, the most minutes have been given to Cesc (588), Xavi (485), Thiago (465), Busquets (464), Abidal (436) and Cuenca (428). But the Argentinian’s participation has increased has the tournament has gone on, especially since the quarter finals.
Chances for reserves
In the first two rounds, in which Barça made light work of L’Hospitalet and Osasuna, Pep Guardiola gave run-outs to several reserves. Five of them have appeared in the cup this season, namely Sergi Roberto (150), Tello (145), Dos Santos (135), Montoya (90) and Rafinha (15).

FCB,

Jordi Clos

Four seeking first cup

05/19/2012 16:51
Mascherano, Alexis, Thiago and Cuenca, as well as the injured Fontàs, are the only members of the current Barça squad that have never won a national cup title
Twelve of the squad were in the treble winning team of 2009 and four have won cups with other clubs

FCB_-_CA_OSASUNA_1_.v1337439307.jpg

Thiago i Mascherano. FOTO: ARXIUFCB.
Barça are off to Madrid to face Athletic Bilbao with several of theplayers that played in the same fixture, but in Valencia, in 2008/09. Twelve of the 21 members of the current squad helped win the Copa del Rey that year, namely Valdés, Alves, Piqué, Puyol, Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Pinto, Keita, Busquets, Pedro and Abidal .
The Calderón will be the venue for the Copa del Rey Final debuts of Javier Mascherano, Alexis Sánchez, Thiago Alcântara and Isaac Cuenca . The fifth would be Andreu Fontàs , but he misses the game through injury. None of them have ever won a senior national cup, either with Barça or anybody else.
Four looking to win again, but with Barça
There are four players in the team who have won cups, but not for Barcelona. Villa won the Copa del Rey with Zaragoza (2004) and Valencia (2008), and Adriano won it twice with Sevilla (2007 and 2010). In addition, Cesc won the FA Cup with Arsenal in 2005 and Afellay won the Dutch Cup in 2005. At the Calderón, these four players will be lookingfor another cup title, but this time as FC Barcelona players.

FCB,

Jordi Clos

Wembley through Italian eyes

05/20/2012 00:04

Rumours of Vialli being sold disrupted the Italian side in the build-up

Gianluca Pagliuca: "I would have felt comfortable in a penalty shootout"

Players and press agree: “There was no foul before the Koeman free kickâ€

0-1_Koeman.v1337268095.jpg

PHOTO: UC SAMPDORIA

Barça fans will always remember three images. That of Koeman scoring the winner, and that of Cruyff climbing over the advertising hoarding, and that ofAlexanco lifting the cup. But they rarely appreciate what that nightwas like from an Italian point of view. May 20, 1992, may have sparked off celebrations in Barcelona, but the memories are far less fond in Genoa. Wembley 1992 is remembered very differently to the way it is in Catalonia . It marked the beginning of the end for the finest Sampdoria side ever, which came so close to glory and ended up so far from it. The club is now battling away in the Italian Serie B.

Berne, Vialli and pressure

Nobody in Italy is arguing about the quality of that FC Barcelona side under Johan Cruyff. But theirview of how the title landed in Catalan hands is very different to the one Barça fans are used to hearing. “Sampdoria went into that final in the worst possible way; they weren’t used to copingwith that kind of pressure. All of the attention was on rumours of Vialli being sold and people hadn’t forgotten the final in Berne three years earlier" , says Claudio Mangini, who writes for Italian daily Il Secolo XIX.

In Switzerland, Barça had beaten Sampdoria 2-0 in the Cup Winners Cup Final, which the Italians themselves would win a year later against Anderlecht."There were distractions all over the placeâ€, observes Alberto Polverosi of ‘Corriere dello Sport’.

There is no arguing with that. Sampdoria landed in London four and a half hours later than expected, just 26 hours before kickoff. "That was a match between two teams that had never won the European Cup. One was a giant, the other was a small club, and it showed†, adds Stefano Zaino, a reporter for ‘La Repubblica’ and who watched the march live in the stadium.

Futile counter attacks

But despite the uncertainties, thegame was a largely predictable affair. "Boskov told us to concentrate on defence. The ideawas for Vialli and Mancini to surprise Nadal and Koeman on the counter attack , who were strong centre backs, but a bit slowâ€, Gianluca Pagliuca told fcbarcelona.cat. And the idea didn’t go too badly. They withstood the Barça onslaught, but failed to take the opportunities they had. "Boskov’sstyle, like that of Trapattoni (thenat Juventus), was the response to Sacchi (then managing Italy) . It was based on defence and counter attacks, you could almostsay they were playing a completely different sport to FC Barcelona", comments Polverosi.

Goodbye to Vialli, Pari and Boskov

Lombardo was one of the most prominent players in that match, and won most praise from the Italian media. “Individually, I waspleased. Perhaps it was one of my best days, especially because of the stage and the circumstances. I did everything I could", he says. But collectively?"We were a small club that played the best we could. That makes you feel very, very proud, even though we lost†he admits.

Gianluca Vialli came close to scoring three times, and people still disagree regarding his performance that day. "It certainly wasn’t Vialli’s best game", says Pagliuca , although Lombardo feels the striker"played outstandingly". Fausto Pari, the midfielder whose job it was to mark Laudrup, offers that"Vialli had everything sorted with Juventus. President Paolo Mantovani wanted to sell him , and he was under too much pressure in that final. He wanted to leave with a goal and victory, and missed more than he would normally doâ€. The whole build-upto the game was overshadowed by rumours regarding Vialli’s imminent departure, and that game at Wembley was indeed the last he would play for Samp.

Pari has no qualms about admitting that before the final was played, he already knew he was leaving. "I signed for Napoli four days before the game. Vialli signed two days after we had lostâ€. Manager Vujadin Boskov also left at the end of the season ,replaced by Sven Goran Eriksson. Mangini comments how there was no consoling the 30,000 'tifosi' who made the trip to London. "He was the fans’ favourite, but Vialli would have left even if we had wonâ€. He had ambitions for bigger things than Genoa. The current Manchester City manager, Roberto Mancini, was another disappointment. "Hewasn’t fully fit, and not up to his usual levelâ€, declared our interviewees.

Not a foul

The decisive moment came in the111th minute, a foul by Invernizzion Eusebio on the edge of the area. Italian players and press alike are agreed on this. "It was not a foul. It was a very dubious decision, and very hard on us, especially given the moment when it happenedâ€, says Pagliuca . But he doesn’t dwell on it too far. "Even if it hadn’t been given, we’d still have lost. It was our destinyâ€. The goalkeeper ordereda six-man wall, and three men, two from the wall, ran at Koemanas soon as the referee blew for the kick to be taken. The ball went straight through the gap. "In Italy they’re still debating whether it was Pagliuca’s mistake or not, because the ball went in on his side†, explains Zaino. The goalkeeper defends his case. "If the wall hadn’t opened, I’d have stopped it, but I didn’t see the ball until the very last secondâ€. Had the game gone on to penalties, he is also confident. "We knew how they took their kicks. We had studied Koeman, Stoichkov, Laudrup... I’dhave felt very comfortable with thatâ€.

But it was Koeman’s goal that split the two. Pari didn’t want to keep his runners-up medal and threw it into the crowd . "Two days later, the fan who caught it asked if he could exchange it for a shirt, so now I do have the medal. But I don’t care about it. I’m not happy with itâ€, he insists. Some, like Lombardo, haven’t gotover it two decades later. "It was painful to lose that wy. Sampdoria will surely never get achance like that again. That’s why the chance I missed still goesaround in my headâ€.

FCB,

Roger Bogunyà

The Barça Museum, a point of reference for the Catalan Tourist Agency
WWW.FCBARCELONA.CAT 05/20/2012 09:25
The Catalan Tourist Agency has included the Barça Museum among the places to visit for a group of expert bloggers who are finding out at first hand the pleasures awaiting tourists here in Catalonia

2012-05-19_VISITA_BLOGGERS_ACT_MUSEU_FCB_037.v1337511775.jpg

Bloggers at Barça Museum / PHOTO: ÀLEX CAPARRÓS - FCB
This week a group of top bloggers from the USA, Canada and the UK who specialise in travel and tourism are having thechance to experience for themselves the pleasures that Catalonia can offer tourists, so that they can share their experiences with the more than 260,000 followers they have on Twitter and other social networks. Among the programme of visits put togetherby the Catalan Tourist Agency (CTA) is our very own Barça Museum.
On Saturday evening, the bloggers (who together enjoy nearly two million page views) were treated to a tour of the Camp Nou, the highlight of whichwas a visit to the Barça Museum . Thanks to the ‘Tour Experience’ they were able to visit the changing rooms, the pitch, the press boxes etc and learn a little bit about the history of the Club. The visit ended with dinner in the Museum itself.
A new way of promoting tourism
The blog trip includes Barcelona, the ‘Terres de Lleida’ part of the Pyrenees, the ‘Costa Dorada’ and the ‘Terres de l’Ebre’ and forms part of the CTA’s policy of adapting the promotion of tourism in Catalonia to the needs of the sector and travellers . Specialised blogs and travellers’ communities have a major impact and are a key source of information, and in many cases convert the bloggers themselves into influential opinion makers among their thousands of followers.

FCB

The experts in Guardiola finals

05/20/2012 10:00
Xavi, Messi, Keita and Pedro have appeared in 13 of the 14 final matches that Barça have contested over the last four seasons

2011-08-26_PORTO-FCB_45_.v1337447450.JPG

Xavi, a Mònaco. FOTO: MIGUEL RUIZ-FCB.
Players and finals
13: Xavi, Pedro, Messi and Keita. 12: Busquets. 11: Alves. 10: Piqué and Abidal. 9: Valdés. 8: Iniesta. 7: Puyol. 6: Mascherano and Adriano. 5: Villa. 3: Cesc. 2: Pinto, Afellay, Alexis and Thiago. 1: Fontàs.
Considering that the Spanish Supercup is a two-legged affair, Barça have played 14 matches in 11 finals under Pep Guardiola, and have won 11 of them, with just one draw and two defeats. So the game at the Calderón will be the fifteenth final match in four years. With four players in the squad that have appeared in 13 of the previous 14, Xavi, Pedro, Messi and Keita, there will be plenty of experience to draw upon.
Xavi and Pedro missed the first leg of the Spanish Supercup in 2010/11 in Sevilla as they were still resting after winning the World Cup with Spain. Messi also missed the first leg of a Supercupmatch, a year earlier at San Mamés. Meanwhile, the only finalKeita has missed was the last one,the Clubs World Cup against Santos.
After these four, the other players that have appeared in the most finals since 2009 have been Busquets (12), Alves (11), Piqué (10), Abidal (10) and Valdés(9).
Cuenca on verge of debut
At the other end of the first team scale, we have Isaac Cuenca. He was still part of Barça B when theteam played in the Supercups at the start of the season, but could end it with a Copa del Rey Final appearance. The recently promoted Andreu Fontàs did get to come on towards the end of the Clubs World Cup Final, but he will miss the game in Madrid through injury.

FCB,

Jordi Clos

Open letter from President Sandro Rosell to mark the 20th anniversary of the 1992 Wembley Final
www.fcbarcelona.cat 05/20/2012 11:20
FC Barcelona President Sandro Rosell highlights the importance of the first European Cup won by the Club

Wembley002.v1337417905.jpg

Ronald Koeman celebrates the winning goal in 1992 / PHOTO: MARK LEECH
Dear members and fans of FC Barcelona,
Today is a day worth remembering, it is a day that’s written in golden letters in our history. Today marks the 20-year anniversary of the Club’s first European Cup title won on May 20, 1992. That day marked the beginning of a journey that, in present day, has turned into the most glorious era in the Club’s nearly 113-year existence.
Today, as I say, is a day to explainto youngest among us what that victory in the old Wembley stadium over Sampdoria meant. How on the 111th minute, in overtime, the dream that so many generations of Barcelonistas had pursued came true. In that magical minute on May 20 of 1992, in the triangle just outside the area formed by Stoichkov , Bakero and Koeman , the faith of thousands upon thousands of Culés was concentrated. We all held our breath as the Dutchman’s right foot unleashed that powerful and intentional free kick to give us all an unforgettable moment that we all have retained in our memories and our hearts. An eruption of overwhelming joy, hugs and tears of shared happiness, a moment that we must keep alive forever, that we must remember and relive because the history of our Club claimed justice that day. On that day the Club etched its name among the European greats.
The painful defeats in Bern and Seville were left behind on May 20 of 1992, the year in which Barça, Barcelona and Catalonia won the respect and admiration of the whole world. We need to remember and we must be grateful to all those that started to balance the Club’s history with the Club’s trophy cabinet. To President Josep Lluís Núñez and his board of directors, and especially the heroes that brought the Cup home, starting with Johan Cruyff and Carles Rexach , the fathers of the Dream Team. These men sowed the seedof the best Barça team in memory, Josep Guardiola’s.
That team pioneered the creation of a model of play that now days is recognisable throughout the world. That team showed us the way, the Barça DNA is apparent in any player in Barça’s youth system. It's the spirit that makes us singular, unique, and proud.
Later the Champions League titleswere won in Paris, Rome and London, in the new Wembley stadium, and Barça’s history gradually started to reflect the greatness of our Club and country. We’re convinced that more will follow... But today is a day to remember and relive the 20th of May of 1992 and that magical 111th minute.
No Culé has forgotten where and with whom they shared that day. Explain the experience and the feelings to the youngest among you. Remembering this feat is thebest tribute we can give to that team’s legacy. Explain it to your children, who are used to living in the bonanza of success, that to win and taste the victories we also must suffer painful defeats, that the moments of joy inevitably come with hard work, perseverance and faith. That these joyous moments we’re living today started 20 years ago.
Visca el Barça and visca Catalonia!
Sandro Rosell
President of FC Barcelona

FCB

Messi, highest Champions League scorer

For the fourth season in a row, the Argentine finished the seasonas the highest goal scorer of the competition

Messi's 14 goals this season have equalled the 1962/63 record set by AC Milan striker José Altafini

FCB-B._LEVERKUSEN_48_.v1337426823.JPG

Messi after the Barça-Bayer Leverkusen match (7-1) / PHOTO: ARXIU FCB

Leo's four crowns

2008/09: 9 goals

2009/10: 8 goals

2010/11: 12 goals

2011/12: 14 goals

Leo Messi continues to win awards. This Saturday, after the Champions League Final had come to a close, the Argentine was officially named the highest scorer of the competition with 14goals in 11 matches (1.27 goals per game) . Mario Gómez finishedsecond.

Messi equals Altafini

Messi’s 14 Champions League goals has equalled José Altafini’s goalscoring record in the competition set in the 1962/63 season. 49 years had to pass for someone to equal the AC Milan striker’s accomplishment. Messi isthe first player to have scored 14 goals since the competition was renamed the Champions League.

Goals against four teams

The Argentine’s 14 goals were scored against: BATE Borisov (2), Viktoria Plzen (3), AC Milan (3) and Bayer Leverkusen (5) . His performance in the return leg of the quarter-finals, against the Germans, was especially stellar after netting a five-goal haul.

It’s worth noting that Messi was the highest scorer of the competition in the last three editions of the Champions League: nine goals in the 2008/09season, eight in the 2009/10 season and 12 in the 2010/11 season.

FCB

#wembley1992
www.fcbarcelona.cat

Send us your photos and videos of Barça’s first ever European Cup
title won at Wembley 20 years ago

wembley_02_r4.v1308039811.jpg

Ronald Koeman, Wembley, Copa d'Europa
On May 20, 1992, FC Barcelona made history in style by winning the European Cup for the first time. Twenty years have passed since Koeman scored his famous winner, and Barça is now offering all fans the chance to send us their memories of that night in the form of photos or videos.
Drag the images and share them, explore the galleries of other Barça Fans like you and display your Barça sentiments. How did you experience the game? How did you celebrate? Express your feelings and emotions here.
Now Barça Fans can create their own photo and video galleries. Send in your photos, share them, and have a look at what is being published from all around the world. The title celebrations, a Barça gathering, a trip to watch the team --- At the Barça Fans gallery you can a bit of everything.
Try it now!
Prova-ho ara!

your photos

FCB

‘Wembley 92: Behind the scenes’
www.fcbarcelona.cat 05/20/2012 00:02
FC Barcelona physio, Àngel Mur; first-team delegate, Carles Naval; and equipment manager, Txema Corbella, talk about the 1992 final

2011-05-18_HEROES_WEMBLEY_35-Optimized.v1337354153.JPG

‘Wembley 92: entre bambolines’
This video is an excerpt from Barça TV’s report on the 20th anniversary of Barça’s legendary victory in Wembley. The report will air at the following times: 12:00, 18:15 and 01:13

FCB

Youth Football
Benjamí C claim the Liga title (3-2)
WWW.FCBARCELONA.CAT 05/20/2012 09:20
The team managed by Cristian Catena and Albert Puig claimed the Group 12 Segunda División League title after beating L'Hospitalet at home
The Azulgranas are League champions with two matches lefton the schedule

20120520_D320357_2_.v1337513044.jpg

The Benjamí C after winning the Liga title / PHOTO: ÀLEX CAPARRÓS - FCB
The end of the season is coming to a close for Barça’s youth teams, and, in the final stretch, the effort put in by the youngsters is yielding its rewards. This weekend the Benjamín C team’s turn in the limelight. The side managed by Cristian Catena and Albert Puig claimed the Liga title of the Segunda División Benjamín after beating Centre d’Esports L’Hospitalet, the second-place team in the standings. by 3-2.
Even first half
The match was marked by inclement weather that, at certain points during the match, forced the referee to halt the game. Despite the weather, the first half was dominated by Barça. The Azulgranas quickly took the lead thanks to two goalsfrom Xavi Dimons and Arnau Martínez. Barça didn’t want to wait another week to claim the title, and they gave it their all against their direct competitors for the Liga thrown.
However, the visiting side were also in the hunt for the title and they didn’t relinquish their bid easily. Hospitalet managed to level the game at two goals apiece before the half. The halftime result, however, favoured Barça, a draw was enough to mathematically clinch the title.
Pleguezuelo breaks the deadlock
Even though Barça attempted to win the three points, the scoreline didn’t move until the last part of the match. Pleguezuelo stepped up to give his team the lead with four minutes remaining on the referee’s clock. There wasn’t timefor the visiting side to react. Barça’s Benjamín C team had won the title with two game still remaining on the schedule. The victory was followed by the Barça players storming the Ciutat Esportiva Joan Gamper’s number 8 pitch in celebration.
With a record of 25 wins and only 3 defeats all season, the title confirms the team’s splendid season. Furthermore, it’s further proof of Barça’s benjamín teams, who have won all the league titles in their respective divisions.

FCB

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back