Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study WELCOME TO A DEEP LOOK AT GENESIS

Gen 29:22 And Laban gathered together all the men of the place, and made a feast. Implies booze :)

Big Shock sure but it didnt keep Jerk Jacob from 'keeping' Leah
Was it seven years until the next wedding night or a week ...with 7 more years of labour to Laban?

"Then we should notice also, at Bethel, that in spite of Jacob's spiritual condition, God has not one word of rebuke for him. We should certainly have had! Yet God made no mention of what had happened. He knew all about Jacob and his deceit and his subtle contriving. Here was this man, determined to reach his goal, no matter what means he used to get there, and God knew he was like that. But for that very reason, God did not rebuke him. It would have been no use; he was like that, he could not change, and God did not tell him to. God knew that Jacob was in His hands; and what Jacob could not do, God Himself could."

http://www3.telus.net/trbrooks/hisownmedicine.htm (How God dealt with Jacob, and us)

(as in the chapter at the link, we are just as guilty as Jacob ........ and Yhwh can't use us in our natural thoughts or natural strength.....)

"Our natural man uses human strength and ingenuity to compass the will of God. If God's throne seems in danger of falling, out goes our hand to steady it. `Something must be done!' we exclaim. That is Jacob, the able, scheming, clever, natural man. But the result of his efforts was only that Esau felt himself cheated and determined to kill him, and Jacob had to leave home.

Not only does man's uncleanness render him unfit, and therefore powerless, to do God's will; man's very best is equally powerless
. No matter how perfect the heart's intentions may be, if it is man using his natural strength to do it, the result is failure. Jacob had not learned to know and quietly to wait for the God who says, `I will work, and who shall hinder it? (Isaiah 43. r3). He was God's choice, God wanted him, but he knew neither God nor himself. The blessing he attained by cheating, he failed truly to realize. All he received was God's discipline. Clever people get a lot of that!

Through discipline God gave him the blessing he had cheated to obtain. Already at Bethel, before he had even left the land, his life of discipline began (Genesis 28. 10-22). God spoke to him in a dream. He could not speak to Jacob directly while he was trusting to his own plans. "

Gen 29:22 And Laban gathered together all the men of the place, and made a feast. Implies booze :)

Big Shock sure but it didnt keep Jerk Jacob from 'keeping' Leah
Was it seven years until the next wedding night or a week ...with 7 more years of labour to Laban?

Oh dear you're gonna have a lot of splainin to do when you mett Jacob and his Gandaddy. :D

True. I've known older brothers to pull youngers sisters pig tails a bit. Of course Jacob and Abraham will be too busy to do it so I'll probably have to do it for them :D

I learned very young to kick in the shins... :halo
We dont know what we will be doing in Heaven i do hope there will be a time to listen to those old stories told fresh and new... May not even be a thought then.. :shrug

I learned very young to kick in the shins... :halo
We dont know what we will be doing in Heaven i do hope there will be a time to listen to those old stories told fresh and new... May not even be a thought then.. :shrug

Ouch ! I'm thinking we will understand it all in good time ( after Jesus returns ) and probably will go "no way I didn't see that ".

Day 68 Monday 6/23/14 Genesis 29:31-35 The Kids.

V.31 Nothing escapes the knowledge of Jehovah. Here, Leah is hated, the word "hated" Gk.sawnay" means "enemy or foe", but some writers say "loved less than Rachel." Whatever the case, God favored the un-loved rather than the loved. The many years of service to my Master Jesus Christ has caused me to catch a glimpse of His great love for the downtrodden. When I think of the people that the world views as less appealing than their example of beauty and success, I remember Matthew Chapter five and the blessings bestowed on the less fortunate in the world's eye. Over the years, I have gone out of my way to befriend those few Christians who seem to be shunned as being odd, smelly, poorly dressed, etc, etc. Oh my goodness, just to see these people blossom because the pastor hugged them, spoke kindly to them, made mention of something that they had done in a message, not just once, but every week. (except mentioning them in a message) That to me is worth all the money in the world. Please, I'm not bragging, I'm simply pointing out a missing ministry in our churches of today.

Leah is about to give birth to Jacob's first son. There were some early rules concerning the man who has two wives.
Deu 21:15 "If a man has two wives, the one loved and the other unloved, and both the loved and the unloved have borne him children, and if the firstborn son belongs to the unloved,
Deu 21:16 then on the day when he assigns his possessions as an inheritance to his sons, he may not treat the son of the loved as the firstborn in preference to the son of the unloved, who is the firstborn,
Deu 21:17 but he shall acknowledge the firstborn, the son of the unloved, by giving him a double portion of all that he has, for he is the firstfruits of his strength. The right of the firstborn is his.

Leah gave birth to four sons.
Reuben, means "behold a son".
Simeon, means "hear".
Levi, means "attach".
Judah, means "praise".

After giving birth to Judah, Leah ceases bearing children.

Gen 29:31 And when the LORD saw that Leah was hated, he opened her womb: but Rachel was barren.
Gen 29:32 And Leah conceived, and bare a son, and she called his name Reuben: for she said, Surely the LORD hath looked upon my affliction; now therefore my husband will love me.
Gen 29:33 And she conceived again, and bare a son; and said, Because the LORD hath heard that I was hated, he hath therefore given me this son also: and she called his name Simeon.
Gen 29:34 And she conceived again, and bare a son; and said, Now this time will my husband be joined unto me, because I have born him three sons: therefore was his name called Levi.
Gen 29:35 And she conceived again, and bare a son: and she said, Now will I praise the LORD: therefore she called his name Judah; and left bearing.

I have a question about the names and meanings.. I dont know if i can explain the question...
Chopper the list you gave;
Simeon, means "hear".
Levi, means "attach".
Judah, means "praise".
The meanings are they scribed to the names because of the way those person acted so now we have those meanings? Or were those meanings in place when the names were scribed?

A question that crosses my mind about OT names very often...

Oh Wise One!! I hadn't thought of that. You are right on! Plus, while reading your post I realized that Jacob was not the first born so I wonder if that had anything to do with it. Anyway Deb have you heard how these people got so rich? I mean, you have to have money to buy animals, houses to live in, you know, all their stuff. It couldn't be that they got rich selling eggs, huh? Anyway, I'd like to know.

Sorry Chopper, somehow I missed this post. Like Reba said Jacob got the birthright so double the inheritance. I think that would have the been the wealth that began with Abraham, which would have included the goodies he was given from when they pasted through Egypt. I would think they sold or bartered their herd animals. Jacob builds his own worth, too in herd animals. They were sheep farmers like some of my neighbors. :)

It is written elsewhere "I hated Esau, but loved Jacob" ; and Yhwh did so because He wanted to. This pleased Him. He didn't soften His feelings toward Esau for anyone else, nor did He change His choice. He meant hate when He said hate (i.e. not "loved less" like some in error have proposed long ago to make it more palatable to men's way of thinking/ accepting.... )

I'm thinking that God hated what Esau stood for, those who think they can buy their salvation by doing works. Self-righteousness rather than by faith.
And those who will give up their birthright in order to satisfy their own fleshy desires.

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Eph 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

reba when you listed the names that way I saw this....

Mat_1:23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

Isa_59:1 Behold, the LORD'S hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; neither his ear heavy, that it cannot hear:

Heb 8:3 For every high priest is ordained to offer gifts and sacrifices: wherefore it is of necessity that this man have somewhat also to offer. Heb 8:6 But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.

Isa 12:1 And in that day thou shalt say, O LORD, I will praise thee: though thou wast angry with me, thine anger is turned away, and thou comfortedst me. Isa 12:2 Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the LORD JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation.

Last edited:
I have a question about the names and meanings.. I dont know if i can explain the question...
Chopper the list you gave;
Simeon, means "hear".
Levi, means "attach".
Judah, means "praise".
The meanings are they scribed to the names because of the way those person acted so now we have those meanings? Or were those meanings in place when the names were scribed?

A question that crosses my mind about OT names very often...

Apparently the names in the OT had meanings attached to them. Reuben, Heb. meaning "see a son". and so forth. I understand that leah knew these meanings and chose those names so that the names of each son would make a statement to Jacob. So such is the way of a lot of OT parents. they would name their children certain names depending on the meaning of that name.

Apparently the names in the OT had meanings attached to them. Reuben, Heb. meaning "see a son". and so forth. I understand that leah knew these meanings and chose those names so that the names of each son would make a statement to Jacob. So such is the way of a lot of OT parents. they would name their children certain names depending on the meaning of that name.

Cool Chop and sometimes Yahweh decided a name too eh.

Day 69 Tuesday 6/24/14 Genesis 30:1-13 History Repeats Itself.

From V.1 to V.13 we have Rachel and Leah offering their servant girls Bilhah and Zilpah to Jacob in what appears to be a child contest. Of course Our Almighty God is in control of all the goings on. Nothing in these early days of fulfilling the promises that Jehovah made with Abraham was by chance. It seems strange to me how these things come to pass, but His ways are not my ways and it's good to be reminded of that now and then, in fact it's imperative.

I do wonder why Jacob didn't do what his father Isaac did in praying for children to be born thru Rebekah. (25:21) Anyway, he didn't and because Rachel found it embarrassing to remain barren her whole life, she decides to do what Sarah did when faced with the same situation. She offered her servant girl to Jacob to have children in her name. I understand that this was a part of ancient Near Eastern culture, the "Nuzi Texts" from the 15th Century B.C. treat the concept of marriage, and many of these texts deal with the issue of childlessness and provisions for new wives. Children born to the substitute were regarded as belonging to the first wife.

Bilhah bears Jacob two sons, Dan and Naphtali. Now, the naming of these children is a different method. Word association is used, which means the name sounds like another word. Dan sounds like the Hebrew word for "judge" is "dyin" therefore Bilhah names him Dan. The next son was Naphtali, it sounds like the Hebrew word for "wrestling" which is "naphtul"

Now Leah could not bear more children, so she copies Rachel and offers her servant girl, Zilpah, to Jacob for more children. Zilpah gives Jacob another son, "Gad" and says "a troop cometh", probably prophetic meaning more children coming. Zilpah, Leah's servant, bears Jacob another son named "Asher" which sounds like the Hebrew word for "happy" which is "osher".

Gen 30:14 And Reuben went in the days of wheat harvest, and found mandrakes in the field, and brought them unto his mother Leah. Then Rachel said to Leah, Give me, I pray thee, of thy son's mandrakes.
Gen 30:15 And she said unto her, Is it a small matter that thou hast taken my husband? and wouldest thou take away my son's mandrakes also? And Rachel said, Therefore he shall lie with thee to night for thy son's mandrakes.
Gen 30:16 And Jacob came out of the field in the evening, and Leah went out to meet him, and said, Thou must come in unto me; for surely I have hired thee with my son's mandrakes. And he lay with her that night.
Gen 30:17 And God hearkened unto Leah, and she conceived, and bare Jacob the fifth son.
Gen 30:18 And Leah said, God hath given me my hire, because I have given my maiden to my husband: and she called his name Issachar.
Gen 30:19 And Leah conceived again, and bare Jacob the sixth son.
Gen 30:20 And Leah said, God hath endued me with a good dowry; now will my husband dwell with me, because I have born him six sons: and she called his name Zebulun.
Gen 30:21 And afterwards she bare a daughter, and called her name Dinah.
Gen 30:22 And God remembered Rachel, and God hearkened to her, and opened her womb.
Gen 30:23 And she conceived, and bare a son; and said, God hath taken away my reproach:
Gen 30:24 And she called his name Joseph; and said, The LORD shall add to me another son.

Day 70 Wednesday 6/25/14 Genesis 30:14-24 The Secret of Mandrakes.

V.14 Mentions Reuben who was about five years old. The time of year is May, when all the field flowers are blooming. Little Reuben leaves his parents tent and wanders out in the field close to the tent. This thoughtful child does what a lot of youngsters do, they bring to their mother, flowers picked just for them. Now whether the "mandrakes" (mandragora vernalis) are in flower form or in apple form, it's not recorded. It is said, even to this day, that mandrakes produce fruitfulness in the womb. It is also called, the "love apple"

Whatever form the mandrakes were in, Rachel wanted them, I suppose she thought they would reverse her being barren. Leah's reply indicates her displeasure of robbing her of Jacob's company as a wife. Apparently since she stopped bearing children, Rachel is able to dominate Jacob's affections. So Leah being upset over all this tells Rachel "it's no small matter that you have robbed me of Jacob's love, and now you want my son's gift to me? So they barter up a deal. For the mandrakes, Leah gets to sleep with Jacob that night.

As a result of Leah's bed time deal, she gets pregnant and bears Issachar, Heb. "reward". She names him for the deal with Rachel. Leah remains with Jacob and gets pregnant with Jacob's sixth son, Zebulun which means "dwelling". Apparently, Leah felt that she would be "dwelling" with Jacob instead of Rachel. After giving birth to Zebulun, Leah gives birth to Dinah. Her name means "justice" and it looks like Leah finally felt she received her due.

Now, God remembered Rachel in a space of time, she became pregnant because God opened her womb. She gave birth to Joseph. His name means "He will add". Something is going on with the name change of God with Rachel. In V.22 God is Elohiym twice. In V.23 it is Elohiym, but in V.24 Rachel calls Him "Yehovah" or Jehovah as we spell it. Anyone know why the change?

Day 71 Thursday 6/26/14 Genesis 30:25-43 Spotted and Speckled.

V. 25&26 describe Jacob's desire to return to his homeland, where his mother and father lived. He obviously missed his family, friends and the land that was promised to his forefathers. I'm quite sure that Jacob wanted his parents to become acquainted with their grandchildren and the wife that they sent him away to obtain.

Laban had other idea's. He knew, some say thru "divination" while others say "experience" however it was, he realized that the presence of Jacob meant success from Jehovah. Obviously he did not want Jacob to leave, he wanted more blessings. I remember a story about J. Paul Getty, someone asked him "with all your money and financial success, what more do you want?" He said, "one more dollar." I guess that would be like Laban's reasoning.

As this Chapter ends, payment for Jacob's employment, other than the fourteen years he worked for Leah and Rachel, must be worked out between Jacob and Laban. Vs. 31-43 sets the scene for an elaborate system of separating spotted & speckled sheep from Laban's flocks. The spotted & speckled (less desirable) would belong to Jacob, and the pure would belong to Laban. Boy oh boy, Laban must have thought, "such a deal!" I get the best, and he'll get nothing but the outcasts, even he he gets anything.

I'm not sure how this system was set up. Jacob did have a dream, and Jehovah was probably the Author of this system selection. So, Laban and his boys separated all the spotted & speckled sheep and took them far enough away so that the two different flocks couldn't intermingle. Jacob, did as he had done while working for Laban, he kept all the good, or, pure sheep. Thru this process of putting certain sticks, with the bark stripped off in certain ways in the feeding/drinking troughs, the sheep would gaze upon these sticks. Apparently, feeding and drinking times of sheep is such a full-feeling event that they would mate during these times. The end result was that the offspring of the sheep were lambs spotted & speckled, not pure anymore.

As a result of all this, Jacob, in time, gained a vast flock of sheep in which he sold and purchased camels and donkeys, and was able to pay the wages for more servants.

Back