Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study WELCOME TO A DEEP LOOK AT GENESIS

busted...:sorry2

Back to the generations and 14 Why does Matt use 14 14 14 in his list of generations? 3 X 14 = 42

Here are the names in Matthew's list:

1. Abraham
  2. Isaac
  3. Jacob
  4. Judah
  5. Perez
  6. Hezron
  7. Ram
  8. Amminadab
  9. Nahshon
  10. Salmon
  11. Boaz
  12. Obed
  13. Jesse
  14. David *****14 generations to King David*****
  15. Solomon
  16. Rehoboam
  17. Abijah
  18. Asaph
  19. Jehoshaphat
  20. Joram
  21. Uzziah
  22. Jotham
  23. Ahaz
  24. Hezekiah
  25. Manasseh
  26. Amos
  27. Josiah
  28. Jechoniah *****14 more geneations to Babylon (total 28)*****
  29. Shealtiel
  30. Zerubbabel
  31. Abiud
  32. Eliakim
  33. Azor
  34. Zadok
  35. Achim
  36. Eliud
  37. Eliazer
  38. Matthan
  39. Jacob
  40. Joseph
  41. Jesus *****13 generations to Jesus (total 41)*****
The math only works if you count Jechoniah twice. In the first set of 14, he counts both Abraham and King David. It would therefore seem logical to count both Jechoniah and Jesus in the last set of 14. But if you do that in the middle set and count both King David and Jechoniah, you get 15. It looks like Matthew could have used a refresher course in elementary math. But whether he counted correctly or not, Matthew was making a point and it would be interesting to know what it was. I've never heard an explanation.

The TOG​

In looking up Matthew 1:17 I read several writers.

Matthew counts Jeconiah in both the third and fourth groups, representing both the last generation before the Babylonian captivity and the first generation after.

Perhaps for ease of memorization, or perhaps for literary or symbolic symmetry, Matthew structures the genealogy to count 14 generations from each major section. (according to the Jewish practice of gematria, the giving of a numeric value to the consonants in a word. David's name would add to D+V+D+ or 4+6+4=14 and David is the 14th name on the list.

The following is a statement that John Gill presented.
Matthew 1:17
So all the generations from Abraham,.... The Evangelist having traced the genealogy of Christ from Abraham, which he divides into "three" parts, because of the threefold state of the Jews, "first" under Patriarchs, Prophets, and Judges, "next" under Kings, and "then" under Princes and Priests, gives the sum of each part under its distinct head; "so all the generations", that is, the degrees of generation, or the persons generated from Abraham to David, both being included, "are fourteen generations"; as there were, and no more, and are as follow, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Judah, Phares, Esrom, Aram, Amminadab, Naasson, Salmon, Boaz, Obed, Jesse, David.

And from David until the carrying away into Babylon are fourteen generations. Here David who closed the first division must be excluded this, and it must be observed, that the Evangelist does not say as before, that "all" the generations from David to the captivity were fourteen, for there were seventeen, three kings being omitted by him at once; but, the generations he thought fit to mention, in order to reduce them to a like number as before, and which were sufficient for his purpose, were fourteen; and may be reckoned in this order, Solomon, Roboam, Abia, Asa, Josaphat, Joram, Ozias, Joatham, Achaz, Ezekias, Manasses, Amon, Josias, Jechonias, or Jehoiachin.

And from the carrying away into Babylon unto Christ are fourteen generations. This must be understood as before; for there might be more generations in this interval, but these were enough to answer the design of the Evangelist; and which he thought proper to mention, and may be numbered in this manner; Jechonias, or Jehoiachin, Salathiel, Zorobabel, Abiud, Ehakim, Azor, Sadoc, Achim, Eliud, Eleazar, Matthan, Jacob, Joseph, Christ. This way of reckoning by generations was used by other nations as well as the Jews (u), particularly the Grecians; so (w) Pausanias says,

I hope this answers some questions.

Day 89 Tuesday 7/15/14 Genesis 37:1-4 Coat of Many Colors.

Gen 37:1 "And Jacob dwelt in the land wherein his father was a stranger, in the land of Canaan." I find it a little frustrating how all this is playing out. The more I think about where Jacob and Esau lived. Jacob and his family lived in Hebron, Canaan as pilgrims, whereas Esau married into the inhabitants of and owners of the land, making him one of them and an owner, not a pilgrim. I realize the difference between the fact that all the unbelievers live in the world system as leaders over the land that they own. Believers in the Christ of God, Jesus, are sojourners and pilgrims in this land. This is why our loving God does not want us to intermingle with the world because it's rotten principles will stick to us making us a stench to the Almighty. They are "high class" we are "low class" the sooner we deal with that fact, the sooner we will stop trying to live like the world and find churches that don't identify with the world system. Hello? Is anyone listening?

Gen 37:2 "These are the generations of Jacob. Joseph, being seventeen years old, was feeding the flock with his brethren; and the lad was with the sons of Bilhah, and with the sons of Zilpah, his father's wives: and Joseph brought unto his father their evil report." It is revealed in the next verse that the sons of Jacob's maids, called his wives, did not like Joseph at all! These sons, although raised in Jacob's home, were taught by their mothers who were not Godly women. So, here we have Joseph behaving himself while the other brothers are horsing around, not paying attention that they should as shepherds, picking on Jacob, and perhaps unclean contact with the sheep, IMO.

Gen 37:3 "Now Israel loved Joseph more than all his children, because he was the son of his old age: and he made him a coat of many colours." I have heard teachers and preachers come down hard on Jacob for allowing his favor of Joseph be visible to the other brothers. In those times the phrase, "son of his old age" meant that this younger son was important to the old man. With age comes dependence on others. I suppose Joseph became like a crutch so that Jacob could lean on him slightly when walking on uneven ground. Joseph could go fetch something for Jacob. It also was a great opportunity, since Joseph was continually with Jacob for him to instruct Joseph in the ways of God and the ways of leadership. Jacob knew in his heart that Joseph was special to God, plus he was the first son of his beloved Rachel.

Now we come to this special cloak that was made for Joseph. Not only did it have many colors, perhaps like what we call patchwork, or multicolored needle work, it was sort of regal which the brothers hated. This cloak would reach his ankles and have long sleeves that reached the palm of his hands, called by the Jews, "passim".

Gen 37:4 "And when his brethren saw that their father loved him more than all his brethren, they hated him, and could not speak peaceably unto him." It must have very tough for Jacob to deal with these "bullies". Aben Ezra says that the usual greeting or good by "peace be with you" was not given to this "Papa's boy".

Gen 37:4 "And when his brethren saw that their father loved him more than all his brethren, they hated him, and could not speak peaceably unto him."

We see this in families sometimes where a parent gives favoritism to one child causing the others to believe that they are not equally loved. This story should be a lesson to parents who cause rivalry between their children.

Day 90 Wednesday 7/16/14 Genesis 37:5-11 The Dreamer.

Gen 37:5-11 "And Joseph dreamed a dream, and he told it his brethren: and they hated him yet the more" Jacob, at this young time in his life, 17 years of age, was quite naive. I suppose he is like a lot of people who are picked on and bullied in their young lives, thought he could get on their good side by telling them a joke. It appears that Joseph did not understand the meaning of the dream, but his brothers sure did, and the dream sure added to their hatred of Joseph.

Gen 37:6 "And he said unto them, Hear, I pray you, this dream which I have dreamed." I do wonder what Joseph's motive was in telling his brothers the dream. Was he truly jesting or did he think one of his brothers could interpret the dream. It's interesting to me that Joseph would be put in charge in Egypt for interpreting dreams, and starts out dreaming dreams that have future meaning and results.

Gen 37:7 "For, behold, we were binding sheaves in the field, and, lo, my sheaf arose, and also stood upright; and, behold, your sheaves stood round about, and made obeisance to my sheaf." In Joseph's dream, it is harvest time. The sheaves are of corn. It is interesting that John Gill says that Joseph's sheaves had corn in them and the Brothers were empty. I don't see that in these verses. Perhaps Mr. Gill had information that he's not sharing. Obviously this dream of Jacob's is prophetic of when he is Pharaohs right hand man in Egypt.

Gen 37:8 "And his brethren said to him, Shalt thou indeed reign over us? or shalt thou indeed have dominion over us? And they hated him yet the more for his dreams, and for his words." I think that the brothers are highly offended by this "dreamer" and it only added more hatred of Joseph in their minds. These brothers don't know if these dreams of Joseph are just a whim, or if he really believes them and is puffing himself up in front of them. The statement "and for his words probably refer to the bad report that he gave to Jacob their father.

Gen 37:9 And he dreamed yet another dream, and told it his brethren, and said, Behold, I have dreamed a dream more; and, behold, the sun and the moon and the eleven stars made obeisance to me. Oh boy, if the first dream torqued off his brothers, this one could get him killed. Their hatred is mounting to a dangerous level. I think that it is plain to see that Joseph is blind to what these dreams are doing, he just does not understand the meaning of them as his brothers do. It almost seems funny that later on he will be the only one to interpret dreams.

Gen 37:10 "And he told it to his father, and to his brethren: and his father rebuked him, and said unto him, What is this dream that thou hast dreamed? Shall I and thy mother and thy brethren indeed come to bow down ourselves to thee to the earth?" Probably Jacob, telling the dream to his father, thought that he might tell the meaning. Instead, Jacob rebuked his young son, partly because he didn't want Joseph to get puffed up because Jacob understood the dream and certainly would not divulge the meaning. By rebuking Joseph, I suppose that he did it to slow down this anger that Joseph's brothers had for him. Again, this dream is very prophetic.

Gen 37:11 "And his brethren envied him; but his father observed the saying." Dreams were not uncommon during these early days in the development of the Hebrew Nation. I supposed that the brothers knew something was up with their brother Joseph, but wouldn't admit it. Jacob just kept these dreams to himself, not speaking about them again. He probably thought, someday, these things just might come to pass....And they will!

Tomorrow's Study: Day 91 Thursday 7/17/14 Genesis 37:12-20 Danger Ahead.

Note: I will be working tomorrow, and won't be on until evening.

Day 91 Thursday 7/17/14 Genesis 37:12-20 Danger Ahead.

Gen 37:12 "And his brethren went to feed their father's flock in Shechem." I find it interesting that Jacobs flocks would be kept 60 miles from home, as he had purchased a field there in Shechem. In those days, the sons would have to walk there, it doesn't say they rode animals. Also, Shechem was where the boys had butchered all the males in that town and the neighbors couldn't have been very pleased about that crime. It was the custom in those days to change locations of pasture for their sheep so they would always have good feed.

Gen 37:13 "And Israel said unto Joseph, Do not thy brethren feed the flock in Shechem? come, and I will send thee unto them. And he said to him, Here am I." It is always refreshing to read about a child who responds with a favorable response like "here I am" or like OK Dad! This is no easy task for Joseph, his brothers hate him, and it's a 60 mile hike to get there.

Gen 37:14 "And he said to him, Go, I pray thee, see whether it be well with thy brethren, and well with the flocks; and bring me word again. So he sent him out of the vale of Hebron, and he came to Shechem." Scripture doesn't disclose how long the brothers had been gone, it must have been months at least. The fact that the brothers were in hostile territory because of the murders of the Shechemites, the surrounding nations might want revenge and that must have weighed heavy on Jacobs mind. Although Jacob knew that the brothers disliked Joseph, Jacob must have felt that their dislike would never include killing Joseph. I don't see a lot of honest communication between the boys and their father.

Gen 37:15 "And a certain man found him, and, behold, he was wandering in the field: and the man asked him, saying, What seekest thou?" Apparently, Joseph may have looked like he was lost or looking for someone which prompted this fellow to ask what he was looking for. One writer wrote that it might have been an angel, but others believe it was just another farm worker of a person on a journey.

Gen 37:16 "And he said, I seek my brethren: tell me, I pray thee, where they feed their flocks." Hoping this man could tell Joseph where the herd might be. He must have spent some time describing his brothers to the man and telling him who his father was so the man could have a pretty good idea who it was that Joseph was looking for.

Gen 37:17 "And the man said, They are departed hence; for I heard them say, Let us go to Dothan. And Joseph went after his brethren, and found them in Dothan." So the fellow told Joseph that they had gone to Dothan, obviously to find greener pastures. Jacob indeed found them about 5 miles away in Dothan.

Gen 37:18 "And when they saw him afar off, even before he came near unto them, they conspired against him to slay him." It sure didn't take them long to discover that the person wearing the "coat of many colors" was the brother that they conspired to murder.

Gen 37:19 And they said one to another, Behold, this dreamer cometh.Well, they haven't changed! Here we go.

Gen 37:20 Come now therefore, and let us slay him, and cast him into some pit, and we will say, Some evil beast hath devoured him: and we shall see what will become of his dreams.Now the drama starts. The pits were dug quite deep to hold water in this part of the country which didn't have all that much rainfall. It also was not unusual for animals to roam the countryside, like bears and possibly lions. There boast was, lets see what those dreams of his will turn out to be. Oh boy are they going to be surprised some day in the future.

Day 92 Friday 7/18/14 Genesis 37:21-36 Sold!

Gen 37:21 "And Reuben heard it, and he delivered him out of their hands; and said, Let us not kill him." Reuben apparently was not present when Simeon and Levi headed up the killing committee. Reuben was Jacob's first born, and might have thought that he always be held accountable for the deed's of his younger brothers.

Gen 37:22 "And Reuben said unto them, Shed no blood, but cast him into this pit that is in the wilderness, and lay no hand upon him; that he might rid him out of their hands, to deliver him to his father again." Reuben, not being present at the original meeting was not effected by the emotion that was stirred up because of the hatred that all of them had for Joseph. After all, their plan to kill Joseph would be taking innocent blood. Joseph was innocent of the trouble that his brothers had been in, plus, this would be against Gen. 9:6 in which Reuben might have on his mind. It appears that Reuben had his own plan to rescue Joseph at some point and deliver him to his father which certainly would gain him great favor with Jacob.

Gen 37:23 "And it came to pass, when Joseph was come unto his brethren, that they stript Joseph out of his coat, his coat of many colours that was on him." So Joseph arrives and probably asked the questions that his father had asked about, and instead of what they should have done, they continued on with their plan to kill him probably thru starvation in this pit which would become his grave.

Gen 37:24 "And they took him, and cast him into a pit: and the pit was empty, there was no water in it." As I mentioned before, these pits were dug to hold water, but this one was dry.

Gen 37:25 "And they sat down to eat bread: and they lifted up their eyes and looked, and, behold, a company of Ishmeelites came from Gilead with their camels bearing spicery and balm and myrrh, going to carry it down to Egypt." Boy, talk about a bunch of losers, they have just thrown Joseph down into this deep pit, who knows, he could have broken an arm or leg, certainly he wasn't quiet down there but it didn't matter. The brothers (at this point, I hesitate to call them brothers) they sit down to have lunch, unbelievable! All at once, they spot a caravan of spice traders who were on their way to Egypt to sell their products there because what they had to sell could not grow in Egypt, and they could make quite a bit of money.

Gen 37:26 "And Judah said unto his brethren, What profit is it if we slay our brother, and conceal his blood?" Well, here comes old Judah with a great idea, in his mind. Money, money, money! Even back then, money made the world go around. What did they think? By throwing Joseph into the pit, he would die and eventually someone would discover their little secret and would have to pay for it by their father or God would exact vengeance on them.

Gen 37:27 Come, and let us sell him to the Ishmeelites, and let not our hand be upon him; for he is our brother and our flesh. And his brethren were content. Oh yea, "let not our hand be upon him"Judah says, he's out flesh and blood. Just look at the twisted thinking of these brothers. Like they really cared about their brother Joseph. I'm sure that Joseph heard all this conversation and that's why, in the end, it is so amazing how Joseph responds to his brothers when at last as a great ruler in Egypt he forgives them.

Gen 37:28 "Then there passed by Midianites merchantmen; and they drew and lifted up Joseph out of the pit, and sold Joseph to the Ishmeelites for twenty pieces of silver: and they brought Joseph into Egypt." Finally, Joseph is free from these blood thirsty brothers of his. It must have been a relief for him just to keep on living. I think that Joseph trusted the Lord from conversations that he had with his father, and put his life in the hands of his Lord. Joseph was sold for the average price for slaves which was around 20 pieces of silver.

Gen 37:29 "And Reuben returned unto the pit; and, behold, Joseph was not in the pit; and he rent his clothes." Apparently, Reuben went away on a made up excuse so he could return later and rescue his brother out of the pit. When he came back, he could not find Joseph where they had placed him. In the custom of anguish and mourning, he tore part of his clothes.

Gen 37:30 "And he returned unto his brethren, and said, The child is not; and I, whither shall I go?" Reuben was not present when his brothers sold Joseph, and now he is gone. Probably Reuben thought that his brothers had killed Joseph as they had planned in the first place. Reuben then wonders out loud, where is is to go now. He was the oldest and certainly his father would have held him responsible for the death of Joseph his beloved. After having sex with Jacob's concubine Reuben knew he couldn't go home.

Gen 37:31 "And they took Joseph's coat, and killed a kid of the goats, and dipped the coat in the blood." They didn't release Joseph's coat when they sold him, instead they killed a goat, and smeared blood all over it to look like an animal killed him. Apparently, a goats blood is closest to human blood.

Gen 37:32 "And they sent the coat of many colours, and they brought it to their father; and said, This have we found: know now whether it be thy son's coat or no." The brothers were afraid to take the coat to their father themselves, like the cowards that they are, but probably sent it with a couple of servants who are along to help with the sheep and cattle. They were told what to say to Jacob so he could identify the coat as Joseph's.

Gen 37:33 "And he knew it, and said, It is my son's coat; an evil beast hath devoured him; Joseph is without doubt rent in pieces." Jacob sums up what he sees and comes to the conclusion that his favorite is dead.

Gen 37:34 "And Jacob rent his clothes, and put sackcloth upon his loins, and mourned for his son many days"

Gen 37:35 "And all his sons and all his daughters rose up to comfort him; but he refused to be comforted; and he said, For I will go down into the grave unto my son mourning. Thus his father wept for him." Family is so important is so important when comforting the grieving. It didn't help much but at least they were there for him. He makes an interesting statement, "I will go down into the grave to my son." Jacob believed in the after life, being with those who have gone before him.

Gen 37:36 "And the Midianites sold him into Egypt unto Potiphar, an officer of Pharaoh's, and captain of the guard." Thus begins a very dramatic, supernatural life with Potiphar.

I can not believe this passage slipped by me :shame Lazy, busy, summer heat what other lame excuse can i list ?

Here we see the sun , moon and stars, not as objects hanging in the sky but as imagery to explain a prophecy IMO we see this again

I can not believe this passage slipped by me :shame Lazy, busy, summer heat what other lame excuse can i list ?

Here we see the sun , moon and stars, not as objects hanging in the sky but as imagery to explain a prophecy IMO we see this again

Absolutely, glad you spotted it. This is what I wish everyone would do that are in our study. Sometimes I don't comment on some things hoping someone else would comment. I dislike doing all the research. Good going Reba! :sohappy

Absolutely, glad you spotted it. This is what I wish everyone would do that are in our study. Sometimes I don't comment on some things hoping someone else would comment. I dislike doing all the research. Good going Reba! :sohappy

Well, there are few things you leave out or that I see differently. :)

Joseph in my view was a type or picture of the Messiah that would come. I think it becomes even more clean as the story develops.
The sons of Israel priced Joseph at 20 pieces of silver, a slave price.
Our Lord was sold for 30 pieces of silver, the price being determined by the sons of Israel.
Mat 27:9 ... `And I took the thirty silverlings, the price of him who hath been priced, whom they of the sons of Israel did price,

Well, there are few things you leave out or that I see differently. :)

Joseph in my view was a type or picture of the Messiah that would come. I think it becomes even more clean as the story develops.
The sons of Israel priced Joseph at 20 pieces of silver, a slave price.
Our Lord was sold for 30 pieces of silver, the price being determined by the sons of Israel.
Mat 27:9 ... `And I took the thirty silverlings, the price of him who hath been priced, whom they of the sons of Israel did price,

There you go! Thanks for your post. That helps in getting someone else's idea's.

Back