Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

What does it mean to be "In Christ?"

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Paul wrote, "And be found in him, not having my own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith" Philippians 3:9.

In the judgment we will either be found "In Christ" or we will be found in our sins. To be "In Christ" is great joy and peace in the Holy Spirit, Romans 14:17. To be "In Christ" means that I have been accepted in him, Ephesians 1:6. We are MADE acceptable. We do not become acceptable by our works or by our obedience to the law, "So by the obedience of one (Christ) shall many be MADE righteous" Romans 5:19.

Jesus comes into the world as our substitute and representative. In our name and on our behalf, he fulfills all of the demands of God's Holy Law and atones for our sins and the sins of the whole world, 1 John 2:2. Having perfected our humanity in himself, he takes it back to heaven and presents it to God the Father. God is well pleased with his Son Jesus Christ and makes him "The King of Kings and the Lord of Lords" Revelation 19:16.

Our salvation is in a very safe place, Matthew 6:19-21. We are "In Christ" and Christ is in heaven, Paul wrote, "If you have been risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sits at the right hand of God. Set your affections on things which are above, not on things on the earth, for you are dead and your life is hid with Christ in God" Colossians 3:1-3.

When God the Father accepted Jesus into heaven, we were accepted in him. God the Father now sees his people as perfect and complete "In Christ" Colossians 2:10. We are no longer struggling to be accepted by him, we are ALREADY accepted in him. Jesus has MADE us acceptable to God in himself. This is what it means to be "In Christ". All that are "In Christ" are resting "In Christ". They have ceased from their own works and are resting and trusting in his work, Hebrews 4:10.

In (“by”; “in union with”; “with”; etc.) Christ

The NT word most often translated “in” (ἐν) can also mean “with,” “by means of,” “through,” “aided by,” “in union with,” “under the control or influence of,” etc.

Daniel Wallace
in his Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics says with respect to the preposition en that it is "the workhorse of prepositions in the NT, occurring more frequently and in more varied situations than any another." A footnote to this comment on p. 372 adds "Even BAGD (s.v. en, 258) recognizes the difficulty of cataloging every usage: 'The uses of this prep. are so many-sided, and oft. so easily confused, that a strictly systematic treatment is impossible.' "

Young’s Analytical Concordance
tells us that en (or ἐν) may be rendered into English as “in,’ ‘by,’ ‘with,’ ‘through,’ etc. – Eerdmans Publ., 1978 printing.

W. E. Vine tells us the ‘instrumental’ use of the NT Greek word en (or ἐν) is often intended to mean ‘with’ and ‘by means of.’

“A very important instance of the instrumental en is in Rom. 3:25 where the [Revised Version], ‘faith, by [en] his blood,’ corrects the [KJV], ‘faith in [en] his blood,’ …. Thus the statement reads ‘whom God set forth to be a propitiation, through faith, by his blood.’ Christ is a propitiation, by means of His blood, i.e., His expiatory death. Faith is exercised in the living God, not in the blood, which provides the basis of faith.” – p. 1271, An Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words, Thomas Nelson, Inc., 1983 printing.

Thayer agrees with this meaning of ἐν (en):

d. of the instrument or means by or with which anything is accomplished …, where we say with, by means of, by (through)” – p. 210, A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament, Baker Book House, 1984 printing

Liddell and Scott also tell us about the meanings of ἐν:

III. OF THE INSTRUMENT, MEANS OR MANNER” – p. 257, An Intermediate Greek-English Lexicon, Oxford University Press, 1994 printing.

This explains why at Col. 1:16, for example, ‘For in [en] him all things were created,’ as found in the RSV, is also properly translated ‘For through him…’ (GNB; MLB; AT; C.B.Williams; & Phillips), and ‘For by Him…’ (NIV; KJV; NKJV; BBE; MKJV; Webster; Darby; Moffatt; & Barclay).

For example, expressions in the Bible like ‘in Christ’ - “denote membership in Christ and his church ... 1 Thess. 4:16; Ro. 8:1; 16:11” - Kittel, p. 233, and #45 in ‘Hints and Helps’, Young’s Analytical Concordance. And sure enough, when we look up these scriptures, we see that they use en, ἐν, which is usually translated “in.” But notice how these trinitarian Bibles render these verses:

1 Th. 4:16 - “the dead in [en] Christ shall rise first.” - NASB.

“the dead in union with [en] Christ will rise” - CBW.

“those who have died believing in [en] Christ will rise” - TEV (Cf 4:14).

“those who belong to [en] Christ will come out of their graves” - NLV.

“the believers who are dead will be the first to rise” - Living Bible.

“first those who died in union with [en] Christ will rise” - AT

Ro. 8:1 - “There is...no condemnation for those who are in [en] Christ Jesus” - NASB.

“there is no ... for those who are in union with [en] Christ Jesus” - CBW.

“There is no ... for those who live in union with [en] Christ Jesus” - TEV.

“those who belong to [en] Christ will not suffer....” - NLV.

“those who belong to [en] Christ Jesus” - Living Bible.

“those who are united with [en] Christ Jesus” - REB.

“those who are in union with [en] Christ Jesus” - AT (Smith-Goodspeed)

Ro. 16:11 - “those of the household of Narcissus, who are in [en] the Lord” - NASB.

“...in the family of Narcissus that belong to [en] the Lord” - ETRV.

“the household of Narcissus who are in the Lord’s fellowship” - NEB.

“the household of Narcissus who are in the Lord’s fellowship” - REB.

“the household of Narcissus who belong to [en] the Lord” - JB.

“those who belong to [en] the Lord in the household of Narcissus” - NJB.

In fact, the authoritative, trinitarian reference work, The New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology says of some of the NT uses of the preposition ἐν (“in”) specifically as found in the phrase “in Christ” (ἐν Χριστῷ):

(a) Incorporative union: .... “those who are in union with Christ Jesus” (Ro. 8:1).... (b) Sphere of reference: “I know a Christian man” (2 Cor. 5:21). “We make our boast in the sphere of Christ Jesus” (Phil. 3:3)... (c) Agency or instrumentality: “They are justified ... through the redemption accomplished by Christ Jesus” (Ro. 3:24). “The veil is not lifted because only through Christ is it removed” (2 Cor. 3:14). (d) Cause:.... “All will be made alive by virtue of their connexion and solidarity with Christ” ( 1 Cor. 15:22). (e) Mode:.... (f) Location: .... “Have this attitude among you that also characterized Christ Jesus” (Phil. 2:5). (g) Authoritative basis: “We urge you on the authority of the Lord Jesus” (1 Thess. 4:1).” - p. 1192, Vol. 3, Zondervan, 1986.

And so it is that Jesus, in prayer to God, says: “As you, Father, are in [ἐν] me and I am in [ἐν] you, may they [Jesus’ followers] also be in [ἐν] us” - John 17:21, NRSV.

Since trinitarians generally want some mysterious, physical “oneness” with Jesus and the Father to indicate that they are both, somehow, God, they usually leave ἐν in this scripture as the more literal “in.” However, the fact that Jesus’ followers, too, are to be ἐν Jesus and ἐν the Father makes it reasonable that a simple unity of purpose or agreement is being described here.

That is why even some trinitarian Bibles render John 17:21 as

“just as you, Father, are in union with me and I in union with you, for them to be in union with [en] us” - CBW.

“... let them be in union with [en] us” - AT (Smith and Goodspeed).

“May they belong to us” - NLV.

And respected trinitarian commentaries even explain that John 17:21 is telling us that there must be “unity among believers” - p. 280, Vol. V, Word Pictures in the New Testament, A.T. Robertson.

Paul wrote, "And be found in him, not having my own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith" Philippians 3:9.

In the judgment we will either be found "In Christ" or we will be found in our sins. To be "In Christ" is great joy and peace in the Holy Spirit, Romans 14:17. To be "In Christ" means that I have been accepted in him, Ephesians 1:6. We are MADE acceptable. We do not become acceptable by our works or by our obedience to the law, "So by the obedience of one (Christ) shall many be MADE righteous" Romans 5:19.

Jesus comes into the world as our substitute and representative. In our name and on our behalf, he fulfills all of the demands of God's Holy Law and atones for our sins and the sins of the whole world, 1 John 2:2. Having perfected our humanity in himself, he takes it back to heaven and presents it to God the Father. God is well pleased with his Son Jesus Christ and makes him "The King of Kings and the Lord of Lords" Revelation 19:16.

Our salvation is in a very safe place, Matthew 6:19-21. We are "In Christ" and Christ is in heaven, Paul wrote, "If you have been risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sits at the right hand of God. Set your affections on things which are above, not on things on the earth, for you are dead and your life is hid with Christ in God" Colossians 3:1-3.

When God the Father accepted Jesus into heaven, we were accepted in him. God the Father now sees his people as perfect and complete "In Christ" Colossians 2:10. We are no longer struggling to be accepted by him, we are ALREADY accepted in him. Jesus has MADE us acceptable to God in himself. This is what it means to be "In Christ". All that are "In Christ" are resting "In Christ". They have ceased from their own works and are resting and trusting in his work, Hebrews 4:10.
It means to live out His word

Being "in Christ" means we are one spirit with Him; Christ in us and we in Him.

But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him.
1 Corinthians 6:17

Jesus also warned us to remain in Him.

If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned.
John 15:6

Here is how we are instructed to remain "in Christ".

Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us. 1 John 3:24

JLB

Well, those are some interesting replies. I am not sure that I agree with them.

Jesus came into the world as God's new Adam and the representative of the human race. Jesus was not only God with us, he was also God for us. Our first representative sinned against God and caused the fall of humanity. The second representative (Christ) puts to death the Old Adam, Romans 6:6 and brings righteousness.

"For as by one man's disobedience (Adam) many were MADE sinners, so by the obedience of one (Christ) shall many be MADE righteous" Romans 5:19.

We were made sinners without works. It is not our fault that we are sinners, its Adam's fault. Just as we were lost by a representative so shall we be saved by a representative. "Even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life" Romans 5:18. This scripture appears to be teaching universalism, but it is not. Nothing is ours until it is received by faith.

2 Cor. 5:17
"Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new."

There's a change in the heart of man, which makes an outward change.

I remember when my Dad was saved, I had a new Dad! I have never seen a man change the way he did, and I mean for the better. He passed away 12 years ago, and I still hear it quite often from others, how he had changed, and witnessed to everyone he knew.

“In Christ” may describe a Christian better than any other phrase. Also phrased as “in him”, “in the beloved”, “by him”, “through him” and “with him”. It appears 130 times in the New Testament. T
Union in Christ is a positional, permanent spiritual bond between the believer and Jesus Christ that results from Spirit baptism. The union with Christ is a federal union (All who die, die in Adam; and all who live, live in Christ) and representative union (1 Corinthians 15:19-49; Romans 5:12-21). To be in Christ is to partake of all that Christ has done, all that He is, and all that He will ever be. Union in Christ includes union with His death, burial, and resurrection in a judicial sense. Union with Christ is Paul’s explanation for the safe position of a believer from any liability for the guilt of his sin: Romans 8:1 Therefore, [there is] now no condemnation (no adjudging guilty of wrong) for those who are in Christ Jesus. It is impossible that any should be “in Christ” and not partake of what Christ is, He is the righteousness of God. And Christ being the righteousness of God, we, being thus utterly and vitally in Christ before God, have no other place but in Him. We are “the righteousness of God in Christ.” Therefore, God confers on us his gifts, and shows favor to the image of his Son which He recognizes in us. Author Unknown

Union with Christ is also the source of the believer’s
progressive sanctification and perseverance. Christ is called our sanctification because it flows from him (1 Corinthians 1:30, Hebrews 10:14). We bring forth the fruit of righteousness only as we stay connected to our vine (John 15:4-5).
Finally, it is on the basis of union with Christ that believers will be raised from the dead. (1 Corinthians 15:20-22). John MacArthur Biblical Doctrine Pg 603-604

I know this sounds silly but, I like this part...

"your life is hid with Christ in God" Colossians 3:1-3."

Does that mean we are kept safe in Him or that we are a secret being kept from Satan? Like a hidey hole.

If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God. Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth. For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ who is our life appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory. Therefore put to death your members which are on the earth: fornication, uncleanness, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry.
Colossians 3:1-5

JLB

2 Cor. 5:17
"Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new."

There's a change in the heart of man, which makes an outward change.

I remember when my Dad was saved, I had a new Dad! I have never seen a man change the way he did, and I mean for the better. He passed away 12 years ago, and I still hear it quite often from others, how he had changed, and witnessed to everyone he knew.
The changed life is the work of the Holy Spirit in the life of the believer, Ephesians 2:10. However, his changed life is not what saved him. What saved him was his profession of faith in Christ. When he professed faith in Christ God spiritually placed him "In Christ" this is what 2 Corinthians 5:17 is about.

The changed life is the work of the Holy Spirit in the life of the believer, Ephesians 2:10. However, his changed life is not what saved him. What saved him was his profession of faith in Christ. When he professed faith in Christ God spiritually placed him "In Christ" this is what 2 Corinthians 5:17 is about.

My point in response to the question in the OP. "What does it mean to be in Christ?"

Simply a changed life!

I know this sounds silly but, I like this part...

"your life is hid with Christ in God" Colossians 3:1-3."

Does that mean we are kept safe in Him or that we are a secret being kept from Satan? Like a hidey hole.
Yes, I like Colossians 3:1-3 also. It means once in Christ always in Christ. It is exactly where I want to be. Nothing can separate us from the love of God that is in Jesus Christ.

My point in response to the question in the OP. "What does it mean to be in Christ?"

Simply a changed life!
More than that.

All that come to Christ as repentant sinners to be saved by Jesus are spiritually placed "In Christ". God only sees them "In Christ". They are sealed with the Holy Spirit and are "In Christ", Ephesians 1:13. The Holy Spirit is God's mark of ownership.

“In Christ” may describe a Christian better than any other phrase. Also phrased as “in him”, “in the beloved”, “by him”, “through him” and “with him”. It appears 130 times in the New Testament. T
Union in Christ is a positional, permanent spiritual bond between the believer and Jesus Christ that results from Spirit baptism. The union with Christ is a federal union (All who die, die in Adam; and all who live, live in Christ) and representative union (1 Corinthians 15:19-49; Romans 5:12-21). To be in Christ is to partake of all that Christ has done, all that He is, and all that He will ever be. Union in Christ includes union with His death, burial, and resurrection in a judicial sense. Union with Christ is Paul’s explanation for the safe position of a believer from any liability for the guilt of his sin: Romans 8:1 Therefore, [there is] now no condemnation (no adjudging guilty of wrong) for those who are in Christ Jesus. It is impossible that any should be “in Christ” and not partake of what Christ is, He is the righteousness of God. And Christ being the righteousness of God, we, being thus utterly and vitally in Christ before God, have no other place but in Him. We are “the righteousness of God in Christ.” Therefore, God confers on us his gifts, and shows favor to the image of his Son which He recognizes in us. Author Unknown

Union with Christ is also the source of the believer’s
progressive sanctification and perseverance. Christ is called our sanctification because it flows from him (1 Corinthians 1:30, Hebrews 10:14). We bring forth the fruit of righteousness only as we stay connected to our vine (John 15:4-5).
Finally, it is on the basis of union with Christ that believers will be raised from the dead. (1 Corinthians 15:20-22). John MacArthur Biblical Doctrine Pg 603-604
Good observation. All that Jesus is and all that Jesus did becomes ours when God spiritually places us "In Christ".

More than that.

All that come to Christ as repentant sinners to be saved by Jesus are spiritually placed "In Christ". God only sees them "In Christ". They are sealed with the Holy Spirit and are "In Christ", Ephesians 1:13. The Holy Spirit is God's mark of ownership.

We totally agree! It seems to me you are answering the question, "How are we placed in Christ."

While I'm answering, "What does it mean to be in Christ."

No matter how we see it, we are agreeing.

Great question Robert, there are many titles but the meaning is that you are a Christian who is anointed by holy spirit.

Some of the titles they are called are: born again; in Christ; saints; anointed; Christ's brothers; holy ones; bride of Christ; Israel of God; a royal race; enlightened and that is just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Great question Robert, there are many titles but the meaning is that you are a Christian who is anointed by holy spirit.

Some of the titles they are called are: born again; in Christ; saints; anointed; Christ's brothers; holy ones; bride of Christ; Israel of God; a royal race; enlightened and that is just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.
To be in Christ means that God spiritually sees us "In Christ". God can find no sin in those that are "In Christ".

Well, those are some interesting replies. I am not sure that I agree with them.

Jesus came into the world as God's new Adam and the representative of the human race. Jesus was not only God with us, he was also God for us. Our first representative sinned against God and caused the fall of humanity. The second representative (Christ) puts to death the Old Adam, Romans 6:6 and brings righteousness.

"For as by one man's disobedience (Adam) many were MADE sinners, so by the obedience of one (Christ) shall many be MADE righteous" Romans 5:19.

We were made sinners without works. It is not our fault that we are sinners, its Adam's fault. Just as we were lost by a representative so shall we be saved by a representative. "Even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life" Romans 5:18. This scripture appears to be teaching universalism, but it is not. Nothing is ours until it is received by faith.
For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.
Corinthians

I guess the first question is how are "all" men dying in Adam.

And secondly, how did all men get in Adam?

And I'd have to say the course of nature.
-Nature would be the natural process that the course of life takes as it developes in it's environment.

When Adam lived off Satan's Words He died.
Because He believed Satan. Now Adam is the Father of all men. Rather a curse 🤬 or DNA Change, I would not know.

So Iet's try on curse.

But before that, the preposition "in" is a place.
And so I'd have to say the place is the light that lightens every man that comes into the world.

The question is can you be in the light and not know it?
Or maybe the light is in you and you do not know it until you walk in it's course.

If Adam is the father of us all and we did nothing.
How does Christ become the father of us all without us doing nothing?

Because Of what Christ brings into the world
He brings connection with the Father.

So then to be in the light as my original answer was, is to live out Christ life, for He is the light.
CHRIST IN YOU THE HOPE OF GLORY, IS A SCRIPTURE THAT JUST CAME TO ME.

HE IS IN US BUT ARE WE IN HIM. He said unless you eat my flesh and drink my blood you will have no part in me. Please don't quote me.

Jesus I believe when confronted with the devil temptation said He lived off every word that proceeded out of the mouth of God....

So it looks like He broke the curse. AMEN

So then we are in Adam because of the curse He brought into the world(my suggestion)
And Christ is in us because He broke the curse.
And we are in Christ who is in us when we are obedient to the word of God. Maybe by means of eating off the tree of life. (My suggestion) Christ

Last edited:
For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.
Corinthians

I guess the first question is how are "all" men dying in Adam.

And secondly, how did all men get in Adam?

And I'd have to say the course of nature.
-Nature would be the natural process that the course of life takes as it developes in it's environment.

When Adam lived off Satan's Words He died.
Because He believed Satan. Now Adam is the Father of all men. Rather a curse 🤬 or DNA Change, I would not know.

So Iet's try on curse.

But before that, the preposition "in" is a place.
And so I'd have to say the place is the light that lightens every man that comes into the world.

The question is can you be in the light and not know it?
Or maybe the light is in you and you do not know it until you walk in it's course.

If Adam is the father of us all and we did nothing.
How does Christ become the father of us all without us doing nothing?

Because Of what Christ brings into the world
He brings connection with the Father.

So then to be in the light as my original answer was, is to live out Christ life, for He is the light.
CHRIST IN YOU THE HOPE OF GLORY, IS A SCRIPTURE THAT JUST CAME TO ME.

HE IS IN US BUT ARE WE IN HIM. He said unless you eat my flesh and drink my blood you will have no part in me. Please don't quote me.

Jesus I believe when confronted with the devil temptation said He lived off every word that proceeded out of the mouth of God....

So it looks like He broke the curse. AMEN

So then we are in Adam because of the curse He brought into the world(my suggestion)
And Christ is in us because He broke the curse.
And we are in Christ who is in us when we are obedient to the word of God. Maybe by means of eating off the tree of life. (My suggestion) Christ
The Bible is a spiritual book. Adam was the spiritual father of humanity. I like to see him as the representative of the human race, "Therefore as the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation" Romans 5:18. We are all related to Adam. We have his blood coursing through our veins and have inherited his sinful nature.

When we trust in Christ as our savior we are born again and have a new nature, 1 Peter 1:23. Unfortunately, the old Adamic nature does not die, Romans 8:23, but he is sub-dued by the Holy Spirit.

Eating the flesh of Jesus and drinking his blood is symbolic. We are not cannibals.

When we trust in Christ as our savior God spiritually places us in Christ. He only sees us in Christ. Because he spiritually sees us in Christ, he gives us his Holy Spirit.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back