Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study What - exactly - is "The New Covenant" ...?

i've read all the posts in this thread, and seems that noone really has addressed what the new covenant is, i find it very strange that noone seems to realy know what the new covenant is, some even say that it has not started yet, what a rediculas notion that is,

here is the new covenant:

Mat 26:27 And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it;
Mat 26:28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

the new testament with it's promisses is the new covenant, here is strongs for the word "testament" in mat 26:28:

G1242
διαθήκη
diathēkē
dee-ath-ay'-kay
From G1303; properly a disposition, that is, (specifically) a contract (especially a devisory will): - covenant, testament.

now here is thayers:

G1242
διαθήκη
diathēkē
Thayer Definition:
1) a disposition, arrangement, of any sort, which one wishes to be valid, the last disposition which one makes of his earthly possessions after his death, a testament or will
2) a compact, a covenant, a testament
2a) God’s covenant with Noah, etc.
Part of Speech: noun feminine
A Related Word by Thayer’s/Strong’s Number: from G1303

this should make it very clear what the new covenant is, and it began to come into effect after Jesus' death on the cross, and it came into full effect on the day of penticost in acts chapter 2,

Heb 9:13 For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of a heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh:
Heb 9:14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?
Heb 9:15 And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.
Heb 9:16 For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.
Heb 9:17 For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.

i hope this post helps to clear up the matter of not knowing what the new covenant(testament) is.

Is there any chance, G^H, that you could present the above explanation of the New Covenant in common language?

Green Horn:
i've read all the posts in this thread, and seems that noone really has addressed what the new covenant is,i find it very strange that noone seems to realy know what the new covenant is,...

Good point. The New Covenant is a covenant to ISRAEL to prepare them to accept God's promise to make them his people able to accept Him. He will write his laws into their hearts and minds. They will know Him without being taught, from the least to the greatest. There are no people like that on earth.

... some even say that it has not started yet, what a rediculas notion that is,

That would be me. The reason I say that is because there isn't one scripture in the Bible that says it has started (I'll address Mat 26 in a sec). In addition, there are scriptures that state we're under the Old Covenant. To me, those are pretty good reasons to say that the New Covenant hasn't begun yet.

Green Horn:
here is the new covenant:

Mat 26:27 And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it;
Mat 26:28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.
You've left out the very next verse in which Jesus explains that the New Covenant isn't now, and when it will be:

Mat 26:29 But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom.

Two things: First, it will not be until that day. That day wasn't then, and it hasn't been because Jesus hasn't as of yet drank it new with them.

Also, Jesus said "with you", in reference to His Jewish apostles. That doesn't necessarily include anyone else.

Green Horn:
the new testament with it's promisses is the new covenant,...
There is no reference in the Bible to the promises made in the New Testament being the New Covenant that I know of. Could you list them please?

Green Horn:
this should make it very clear what the new covenant is,...

It makes it very clear as to what the popular belief is. However, there seems to be no biblical support for the position. There are no scriptures which say we're under the New Covenant, nor are there any that say the New Covenant is for Gentiles. On a matter of this importance, there should be many corroborating scriptures, line upon line, precept upon precept. There are NONE. Why?

...and it began to come into effect after Jesus' death on the cross,...
Began to come into effect? Either the New covenant is in effect or it's not. It can't be coming into effect. So, in your opinion, at this point (Jesus' death on the cross) is it in effect or not?

... and it came into full effect on the day of penticost in acts chapter 2,

It did? If that's true, then why would the book of Hebrews, which was written AFTER the book of Acts, say the Old Covenant was READY to vanish, meaning it was still in effect?

Green Horn:
Heb 9:13 For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of a heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh:
Heb 9:14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?
Heb 9:15 And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.
Heb 9:16 For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.
Heb 9:17 For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.
Notice something very significant in the scripture you listed (v.15);

"...for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament..."

This says that salvation came under the FIRST testament (Old Covenant). If this is true, then Christ brought salvation under the Old Covenant, correct?

Green Horn:
i hope this post helps to clear up the matter of not knowing what the new covenant(testament) is.
Again, it clearly depicts what is popularly believed to be true. However, it appears the Bible says something different.

God Bless!

Back