Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What is a sin that doesn't lead to death?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
1 John 5:16-17 says this:

If anyone sees his brother sinning a sin which does not lead to death, he will ask, and He will give him life for those who commit sin not leading to death. There is sin leading to death. I do not say that he should pray about that. All unrighteousness is sin, and there is sin not leading to death.

It complicates the doctrine of Romans 6:23, which says "For the wages of sin is death". It doesn't seem to say that the wages of some sin is death, but that sin itself earns death.

So I am asking to find out what the difference is between the type of sin that leads to death and the type of sin that doesn't lead to death.

Why are we told to pray for the one type of sinning brother but not the other?

Solution

If anyone sees his brother sinning a sin which does not lead to death, he will ask, and He will give him life for those who commit sin not leading to death. There is sin leading to death. I do not say that he should pray about that. All unrighteousness is sin, and there is sin not leading to death.

It complicates the doctrine of Romans 6:23, which says "For the wages of sin is death". It doesn't seem to say that the wages of some sin is death, but that sin itself earns death.

So I am asking to find out what the difference is between the type of sin that leads to death and the type of sin that doesn't lead to death.

The type of sin that leads to death is any sin that is not repented of...turned from permanently.

That is not right.
"Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge." (Heb 13:4)
....and the bed undefiled? What does that mean to you. Let us look at another version of it

Have respect for marriage. Always be faithful to your partner, because God will punish anyone who is immoral or unfaithful in marriage. Hebrews13:4

Marriage is to be held in honor among all [that is, regarded as something of great value], and the marriage bed undefiled [by immorality or by any sexual sin]; for God will judge the sexually immoral and adulterous.
Hebrews 13:4 AMP

In the above case one amongst the two is immoral right? When the other partner is holy. It is a sin unto her but not unto death. Literally for your understanding, the Bible passage is cleared by Jesus Christ

I say if your wife has not committed some terrible sexual sin, you must not divorce her to marry someone else. If you do, you are unfaithful.” The disciples said, “If that's how it is between a man and a woman, it's better not to get married.” Jesus told them, “Only those people who have been given the gift of staying single can accept this teaching. Some people are unable to marry because of birth defects or because of what someone has done to their bodies. Others stay single in order to serve God better. Anyone who can accept this teaching should do so.”
Matthew 19:9‭-‬12

....and the bed undefiled? What does that mean to you. Let us look at another version of it
It means, it is not defiled when a married couple make love.
Have respect for marriage. Always be faithful to your partner, because God will punish anyone who is immoral or unfaithful in marriage. Hebrews13:4
Marriage is to be held in honor among all [that is, regarded as something of great value], and the marriage bed undefiled [by immorality or by any sexual sin]; for God will judge the sexually immoral and adulterous.
Hebrews 13:4 AMP

In the above case one amongst the two is immoral right? When the other partner is holy. It is a sin unto her but not unto death. Literally for your understanding, the Bible passage is cleared by Jesus Christ
No, neither is immoral, because they are married.
I say if your wife has not committed some terrible sexual sin, you must not divorce her to marry someone else. If you do, you are unfaithful.” The disciples said, “If that's how it is between a man and a woman, it's better not to get married.” Jesus told them, “Only those people who have been given the gift of staying single can accept this teaching. Some people are unable to marry because of birth defects or because of what someone has done to their bodies. Others stay single in order to serve God better. Anyone who can accept this teaching should do so.”
Matthew 19:9‭-‬12

It means, it is not defiled when a married couple make love.

No, neither is immoral, because they are married.
Anyone who defiles marriage is someone who go outside marriage to commit adultery. If such person brings defilement home to his spouse to have sex then the faithful spouse is not going to get punished for the sin. But normally sex itself kills spirituality. Sex itself within marriage to the saints is a sin that does not lead to death.

This leads to the question the 1 Cor 7:1

Now I will answer the questions you asked in your letter. You asked, “Is it best for people not to marry?” 1 Corinthians 7:1"

because sex to some apostles is a sin. This is why most Apostles were single for life

I don't agree about the "only one" portion of your post.
It's in 1 John 5:17 that

"All unrighteousness is sin: and "THERE IS A" sin not unto death. 1 John 5:17 KJV

It is the Bible that says "There is a* sin" not me. When the bible says there is a* sin it means in English that there is "One" sin.

Something like saying there is a* road that leads to the admin office.

There is a sin not Unto death.

What is that sin..... Read my previous post on how most of the Apostles were Monk who do not have sex believes that Sex on its own is a sin.

There is a sin which is not unto death is the sex in marriage. It is a sin but not unto death.

spiritual people "sorry to say" will understand what I mean.

[ACMP=reminder]
Let's remember this is not a forum for debating. Please clarify what you're trying to say quickly so others understand. Thanks.
[/ACMP]

It's in 1 John 5:17 that

"All unrighteousness is sin: and "THERE IS A" sin not unto death. 1 John 5:17 KJV

It is the Bible that says "There is a* sin" not me. When the bible says there is a* sin it means in English that there is "One" sin.

Something like saying there is a* road that leads to the admin office.

There is a sin not Unto death.

What is that sin..... Read my previous post on how most of the Apostles were Monk who do not have sex believes that Sex on its own is a sin.

There is a sin which is not unto death is the sex in marriage. It is a sin but not unto death.

spiritual people "sorry to say" will understand what I mean.

Sex is sin? Strange.

I wonder why God made such sexual, sinful, creatures?

I wonder why God told Adam and Even to be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth? (Gen. 1:28)

I wonder why God saw the marriage between man and woman as 'one flesh'? (Gen. 2:24)

That's unbelievable.

Quantrill

The sin unto death is the sin, whatever it may be, that one commits, where God knows there is no return. Perhaps it is an unbeliever, or perhaps it is a believer. Doesn't matter. God knows that their cup is full and it's time to take them out.

Quantrill

The sin unto death is the sin, whatever it may be, that one commits, where God knows there is no return. Perhaps it is an unbeliever, or perhaps it is a believer. Doesn't matter. God knows that their cup is full and it's time to take them out.

Quantrill
You are looking at it in the terms of "first" death, while I look at it in terms of a "second" death.
Any sin that is not turned from, (repented of), will result in a second death.

I agree with you.

An unmarried man is concerned about the Lord’s affairs — how he can please the Lord. But a married man is concerned about the affairs of this world — how he can please his wife — and his interests are divided” (1 Corinthians 7:32-34).

If anyone sees his brother committing a sin that does not lead to death, he will pray and ask [on the believer’s behalf] and God will for him give life to those whose sin is not leading to death. There is a sin that leads to death; I do not say that one should pray for this [kind of sin]. All wrongdoing is sin, and there is sin that does not lead to death [one can repent of it and be forgiven]. 1 John 5:16‭-‬17

It's not popular, but in 1 Timothy 1, Apostle Paul mentioned to Timothy certain sins that actually were first written of in the Old Testament. And Paul said those who do such shall not enter into the Kingdom of God.

1 Tim 1:7-11
7 Desiring to be teachers of the law; understanding neither what they say, nor whereof they affirm.
8 But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully;
9 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,
10 For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;
11 According to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust.
KJV

Some of those sins above, like murder, can be a sin unto death (i.e., death penalty).

Under today's law system in the Christian west, there are still laws on the books that originated from God's laws in The Bible, and certain ones of them can carry the death penalty. That is what I believe John was pointing to about a sin unto death.

Another Scripture example -- in 1 Corinthians 5, there was a member at that Church who was having sexual intercourse with his mother. Paul sent a letter to that congregation rebuking them for not throwing that member out. Paul said to cast that one out to Satan for the destruction of his flesh, so that his spirit might be saved in the day of Christ (i.e., Christ's future Millennial reign). What that suggests is that since that one was a believer, his spirit (with soul) will not just be destroyed, but will stand in judgment during Christ's future "thousand years" reign.

Back