Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study What is faith?

When we take Jesus as savior, his Word is written on our hearts.
Jesus gave 2 comandments
Love the Lord thy God with all your heart, soul and mind.
Love your neighbor as thyself.
These 2 comandments pretty much wrap up the ten comandments for Christians.

His commandments are about love.

For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome. 1 John 5:3

Notice that His commandments are not burdensome.

If we steal from our brother, we are not loving him, likewise if we commit adultery with our brothers wife, we are not loving him, and by consequence we are not loving God either.

If someone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen, how can he love God whom he has not seen? And this commandment we have from Him: that he who loves God must love his brother also. 1 John 4:20-21

again

He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected in him. 1 John 2:4-5

Amen

JLB

I believe God gives us the power through His Holy Spirit to fulfill His commandments as well as defeat our sin nature, will there be moments of failure and defeat, yes, but then there is repentance which should be daily and again an action to turn away from what allowed us to sin and again serve and obey Christs commands.

Amen!

Well said.

JLB

I believe God gives us the power through His Holy Spirit to fulfill His commandments as well as defeat our sin nature, will there be moments of failure and defeat, yes, but then there is repentance which should be daily and again an action to turn away from what allowed us to sin and again serve and obey Christs commands.
If Righteousness came by the Law (what we do) Christ is dead in vain. Gal. 2:21

Without Faith it is impossible to please God; and the only Faith God will accept is Faith in His Beloved Son Jesus Christ and His Atoning Sacrificial Work at Calvary Cross. It is called "The Law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus" (Rom. 8:2).

We only overcome by the Blood (the Cross) of the Lamb (God Beloved Son Jesus Christ) and the word of our testimony. Our testimony must never change and always be Faith in Christ and Him Crucified!!!!!!!

Brother,

The law of Moses is not what we do.

The law of Moses was the law of commandments contained in ordinances, that was added to the Abrahamic Covenant, until the Seed (Jesus Christ) should come.

What purpose then does the law serve? It was added because of transgressions, till the Seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was appointed through angels by the hand of a mediator. Galatians 3:19

What we do, by the Spirit, is express love through faith.

For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6

Only those who practice righteousness are righteous.

Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous.
1 John 3:7

Loving people and sharing things we have that people need, are expressions of faith working through love.

James says it this way —

What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
James 2:14-17

Here is what Jesus will say on the Day of Judgement when He returns — words of Christ in red.

“When the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the holy angels with Him, then He will sit on the throne of His glory. All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate them one from another, as a shepherd divides his sheep from the goats. And He will set the sheep on His right hand, but the goats on the left. Then the King will say to those on His right hand, ‘Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.’ “Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’
Matthew 25:31-40

Serving and loving people, by helping them, is not the law, or the works of the flesh, by faith expressing itself through love.

This is the work of being fruitful.

This is being led by the Spirit.

And let our people also learn to maintain good works, to meet urgent needs, that they may not be unfruitful. Titus 3:14

again

They profess to know God, but in works they deny Him, being abominable, disobedient, and disqualified for every good work.
Titus 1:16

again

Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit. John 15:2

JLB

Without Faith it is impossible to please God;

Amen.

Faith without works is dead.

Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
James 2:17

JLB

The law of Moses is not what we do.
It is Law in the Eyes of God if it is not by Grace through Faith in Christ and Him Crucified. Remember, you believe that the object of Faith is not the Cross (the Blood of Jesus). You believe when Christ tells us to pick up our cross (which means to receive all His benefits from Calvary - Psalm 102:3), He is talking about a wooden beam. That is Law.

It is Law in the Eyes of God if it is not by Grace through Faith

Being led by the Spirit, is by grace through faith.

When we obey the leading of the Spirit, to serve people in need, and care for them, we are expressing out faith through love.

Both to God and His children.

JLB

Being led by the Spirit, is by grace through faith.

When we obey the leading of the Spirit, to serve people in need, and care for them, we are expressing out faith through love.

Both to God and His children.

JLB

l
aw way in
It is Law in the Eyes of God if it is not by Grace through Faith in Christ and Him Crucified. Remember, you believe that the object of Faith is not the Cross (the Blood of Jesus). You believe when Christ tells us to pick up our cross (which means to receive all His benefits from Calvary - Psalm 102:3), He is talking about a wooden beam. That is Law.
typo - meant to type Psalm 103:2

In this regard are you quoting what we do throughout life in regards to choices made or religious works? You are correct we should not be those that simply practice a dead routine of religous practices, but what we do daily reveals who we represent therefore faith without works is dead.

James 2:14-26 What does it profit my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, and one of you says to them," Depart in peace, be warmed and filled," but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body what does it profit? Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

So as before God has already given us and has done all there is to do to ensure that while not perfect we can stand against the wiles of the enemy and resist temptations as well as fulfills his commands, it is because he was the ultimate sacrifice that we have recieved this great gift to begin while here to be perfected in our faith.

In this regard are you quoting what we do throughout life in regards to choices made or religious works? You are correct we should not be those that simply practice a dead routine of religous practices, but what we do daily reveals who we represent therefore faith without works is dead.

James 2:14-26 What does it profit my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, and one of you says to them," Depart in peace, be warmed and filled," but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body what does it profit? Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

So as before God has already given us and has done all there is to do to ensure that while not perfect we can stand against the wiles of the enemy and resist temptations as well as fulfills his commands, it is because he was the ultimate sacrifice that we have recieved this great gift to begin while here to be perfected in our faith.
All works must be produced and birth by the Holy Spirit or it is dead works. The "Golden Bell and the Pomegranate" must bounce against each other or it is tingling cymbal and sounding brass. The Golden Bell = The Gift of the Spirit, and the Pomegranate = The Fruit of the Spirit (Exodus 28:34). We need both to be in operation.

We need "The Golden Bells (The Baptism of the Holy Spirit and the gifts of the spirit) and the Pomegranates (The Fruit of the Holy Spirit that gives us victory over sin) Exodus 28:34 NIV. If you have two bells and no fruit bouncing against each other you have 1 Corinthians 13:1, clanging cymbals.

One without the other produces an inconsistency and it is a problem. To say you don't need both is doubt and unbelief which is never acceptable to God. The Bell presents the power and the Pomegranate presents relationship. You must have the development of both. These are two different works of the Holy Spirit; the fruits and the gifts. The Golden Bells and the Pomegranate is a TYPE.

Faith placed exclusively in Christ and His Finished Work, i.e., The Cross, i.e., The Blood of Jesus, will always produce proper works by the Holy Spirit. This is the only Faith God will recognize. Anything and everything that is not of the Spirit is "dead faith." Lifeless Faith is profitless (rotten fruit). James 2:14-18

The Way Of The Spirit
Focus: The Lord Jesus Christ (John 14:6)
Object Of Faith: The Cross of Christ (Romans 6:1-14)
Power Source: The Holy Spirit (Romans 8:1-2, 11)
Results: Victory (Romans 6:14)

Man's Way
Focus: Works.
Object Of Faith: Performance.
Power Source: Self.
Results: Defeat!

The only way to God is through Jesus Christ (John 14:6)...the only way to Jesus Christ is by the Means of the Cross (Luke 14:27). The only way to the Cross is a denial of self (Luke 9:23). If any person tries to come any other way, Jesus says, "they are a thief and a robber" (John 10:1).

1. Jesus Christ is the source of all blessings.
2. The Cross is the means by which all blessings are given.
3. The object of our faith must be Christ and the Cross.
4. That being done, the Holy Spirit will greatly help us.

Last edited:
All works must be produced and birth by the Holy Spirit or it is dead works. The "Golden Bell and the Pomegranate" must bounce against each other or it is tingling cymbal and sounding brass. The Golden Bell = The Gift of the Spirit, and the Pomegranate = The Fruit of the Spirit (Exodus 28:34). We need both to be in operation.

We need "The Golden Bells (The Baptism of the Holy Spirit and the gifts of the spirit) and the Pomegranates (The Fruit of the Holy Spirit that gives us victory over sin) Exodus 28:34 NIV. If you have two bells and no fruit bouncing against each other you have 1 Corinthians 13:1, clanging cymbals.

One without the other produces an inconsistency and it is a problem. To say you don't need both is doubt and unbelief which is never acceptable to God. The Bell presents the power and the Pomegranate presents relationship. You must have the development of both. These are two different works of the Holy Spirit; the fruits and the gifts. The Golden Bells and the Pomegranate is a TYPE.

Faith placed exclusively in Christ and His Finished Work, i.e., The Cross, i.e., The Blood of Jesus, will always produce proper works by the Holy Spirit. This is the only Faith God will recognize. Anything and everything that is not of the Spirit is "dead faith." Lifeless Faith is profitless (rotten fruit). James 2:14-18

The Way Of The Spirit

Man's Way

The only way to God is through Jesus Christ (John 14:6)...the only way to Jesus Christ is by the Means of the Cross (Luke 14:27). The only way to the Cross is a denial of self (Luke 9:23). If any person tries to come any other way, Jesus says, "they are a thief and a robber" (John 10:1).

You still did not answer my question??? I stated that the Holy Spirit provided by Christ helps us to accomplish works of faith. So again I have never stated that this is in and of myself but through Christ.

The Way Of The Spirit

Man's Way

iLOVE....
BondservantRom6:22 spoke to useless religious practices in his post no. 71.

So he agrees that we need faith in God and help from the Holy Spirit so that we do not practice dead works. Instead...Works done with faith are not dead works.

I still would like to understand what is the difference between what HE is saying and what YOU are saying.

Also, how about getting away from the JSM for a while and getting some of your own thoughts? Only because sometimes what you say is very confusing.

Please explain the difference between what you believe and what the other member believes.

Reactions: JLB

The word cross does not appear in these verses.

Paul likens our baptism to His death and resurrection.

• Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

The whole point of these verses is the walk in the newness of life.

The walk of victory over sin.
The walk of righteousness.
The walk of love.
The walk of holiness.

The walk of the Spirit!

What does this walk of the newness of life look like, in our daily lives?

What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it? Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death? Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
For if we have been united together in the likeness of His death, certainly we also shall be in the likeness of His resurrection, knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin. For he who has died has been freed from sin. Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him, knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, dies no more. Death no longer has dominion over Him. For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God. Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body, that you should obey it in its lusts. And do not present your members as instruments of unrighteousness to sin, but present yourselves to God as being alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God. For sin shall not have dominion over you, for you are not under law but under grace. Romans 6:1-14

Where is the message of the resurrection?
Where is the message of victory over sin.

The object of our faith is the resurrected Lord, not the cross.

JLB

I just fell on the above as I was closing down.

What are you talking about iLOVE???

Everything a born again believer does is done through faith in Christ.
This is NOT law in the eyes of God...
it is us obeying God.

What is the object of faith if not Jesus?
Do you see a difference between Jesus and the Cross?
Are you making the cross become your new god?

We ALL believe that the blood of Jesus has saved us...or else why would He have had to die?

And when Jesus said we are to pick up our cross and follow Him...
I'm sure no one here means a wooden beam.

Matthew 16:24
24 Then Jesus said to his disciples:

If any of you want to be my followers, you must forget about yourself. You must take up your cross and follow me.

The above verse is very simple to understand and is not one of those verses that is mysterious and difficult to understand and which theologians disagree about.

Jesus is talking to anyone that would like to be a follower of Christ...a disciple of Christ...one who follows and learns from Him. A disciple learns from the teacher.

What did Jesus teach us?
We must forget about ourselves.
We must offer ourselves a living sacrifice to God.
Romans 12:1

Self-sacrifice is something that Jesus taught. He always said we are to help the poor, visit the sick, etc. Matthew 24. Whatever we do to the least of His brothers, we do unto Him.

WE MUST TAKE UP OUR CROSS:
We are to pick up whatever God has for us every day. It might be anything....a cold or pneumonia....we are to accept it gladly...that is our cross.

WE MUST DENY OURSELF
What must we deny?
More than anything else, we must seek the will of God and not our own. As Romans 12:1 states....our whole self is a sacrifice to God.

WE MUST FOLLOW HIM
This simply means to do as Jesus says....
to follow His teachings

Pastor Curtis

Start listening from the beginning

They profess that they know God; but in works they deny Him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate. Titus 1:16

They profess to know God, but in works they deny Him, being abominable, disobedient, and disqualified for every good work. Titus 1:16 NKJV

The object of our faith must be Christ and the Cross or in works you deny Him.

Last edited:
What is faith (In God)?
Since God is love, to have faith in God, is to have complete trust in the unconditional love Jesus expressed for us on the cross. It is also to believe that through love, we can conquer every evil in the world. Since, love is a force;
What is the Bible reference defining "love as a force"?

Pastor Curtis

Start listening from the beginning

They profess that they know God; but in works they deny Him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate. Titus 1:16

They profess to know God, but in works they deny Him, being abominable, disobedient, and disqualified for every good work. Titus 1:16 NKJV

The object of our faith must be Christ and the Cross or in works you deny Him.

Thank you for at least adding Christ to your statement.

Christ Jesus is our Life, our salvation and by abiding in Him we can be fruitful.

JLB

Back