Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What is the work of the builder that will burn?

What do you think the work is that Paul says will be burned up?

• The first two churches built by the Three Little Pigs.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
5 What then is Apollos? And what is Paul? Servants through whom you believed, even as the Lord gave opportunity to each one. 6 I planted,Apollos watered, but God was causing the growth. 7 So then neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but God who causes the growth. 8 Now he who plants and he who waters are one; but each will receive his own reward according to his own labor. 9 For we are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, God's building. 10 According to the grace of God which was given to me, like a wise master builder I laid a foundation, and another is building on it. But each man must be careful how he builds on it. 11 For no man can lay a foundation other than the one which is laid,which is Jesus Christ. 12 Now if any man builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones,wood, hay, straw, 13 each man's work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to be revealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each man's work. 14 If any man's work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward. 15 If any man's work is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire. 16 Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?
(1 Corinthians 3:5-16 NASB)

What is 'any man's work which he has built'?

5 What then is Apollos? And what is Paul? Servants through whom you believed, even as the Lord gave opportunity to each one. 6 I planted,Apollos watered, but God was causing the growth. 7 So then neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but God who causes the growth. 8 Now he who plants and he who waters are one; but each will receive his own reward according to his own labor. 9 For we are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, God's building. 10 According to the grace of God which was given to me, like a wise master builder I laid a foundation, and another is building on it. But each man must be careful how he builds on it. 11 For no man can lay a foundation other than the one which is laid,which is Jesus Christ. 12 Now if any man builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones,wood, hay, straw, 13 each man's work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to be revealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each man's work. 14 If any man's work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward. 15 If any man's work is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire. 16 Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?
(1 Corinthians 3:5-16 NASB)

What is 'any man's work which he has built'?

The scripture clearly says we are God's building.

The work in which God's fellow workers, build into a building is people.

The very same work that gets burned up, when the fire is applied to it, is people.

Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?

JLB

Oh Wow!

I should have kept reading the list of options in the survey.

It seems I jumped the gun.

I really would like to change my vote, if possible.

I really meant to select - The first two Churches built by The Three Little pigs.

Thank you for your careful consideration in this matter.

JLB

I really would like to change my vote, if possible.

I really meant to select - The first two Churches built by The Three Little pigs.
That's how I'm going to vote. It's the only answer that makes sense....you know, the straw and all.

This was a first for me. I had never heard anyone explain this as you have. But I do know why you have to hold to your position on this.:yes

(Edited, ToS 2.4 Personal attack and insult. Obadiah.)

You honestly believe God is going to hold us responsible for a particular guys personal volition that we witnessed to on the street somewhere in NY and never see Him again?

Last edited by a moderator:
This was a first for me. I had never heard anyone explain this as you have. But I do know why you have to hold to your position on this.:yes

You honestly believe God is going to hold us responsible for a particular guys personal volition that we witnessed to on the street somewhere in NY and never see Him again?

Rather than insulting, could you point out the phrase in these verse's that show us your position concerning the building and the people who represent the building?

JLB

Rather than insulting, could you point out the phrase in these verse's that show us your position concerning the building and the people who represent the building?

JLB
I am not insulting you. I am telling you. (Edited, ToS 2.4 Personal attack. Obadiah.)

I am not insulting you. I am telling you. (Edited, ToS 2.4 Personal attack and insult. Obadiah.)

(Removed, response to removed portion of quote. Obadiah)

Those who have heeded the clear words of God will and built upon a sure foundation of stone, will be found to bring praise and honor to Jesus Christ.

Those who have built on the shifting sand of man's doctrine will have no secure foundation when the winds of every doctrine blow against his house.

Again, (Removed, response to removed section of quote. Obadiah) why not point out the phrase within these verse's that prove your point.

Let's discuss the word.

JLB

This was a first for me. I had never heard anyone explain this as you have.
I'd never heard it before, either. One day when reading the passage I realized that the 'you' Paul was referring to is the Corinthians. I've talked to other people who had the same realization.

(Removed. Response to removed section of quote. Obadiah)

(Removed. Response to removed section of quote. Obadiah)

No, the PERSON is lost. You are not responsible for his part. What you lose is the reward of that person's presence in the kingdom:

1 Thessalonians 2:19-20 NASB
Philippians 4:1 NASB
Philippians 2:16 NASB
2 Corinthians 1:14 NASB
1 Corinthians 9:1 NASB

When we labor in the building of God--made up of individual stones (people)--placing them in that building, the reward of our labor is that our work, that is, the people we placed on the foundation of the building, will be in the kingdom for us to glory in, and them in us. That's what the Bible says.

(Post removed. Irrelevant to the OP. Obadiah)

(Removed, response to deleted post. Obadiah)

We are saved by grace through faith, and that not of ourselves, it is a gift from God...

If you chose to bury the gift of faith given to us, then like the unfaithful servant who was given one talent...

What does Jesus say about His servant who did nothing with what was entrusted to him?

And cast the unprofitable servant into the outer darkness. There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.'

We don't get to bury our gift, the very faith that God granted to us by His grace.

Grace is a very serious responsibility.

JLB

Thread is re-opened now. Lets all not forget to review and follow our ToS that we all agreed to when we signed up for this site.

I am really confused by this thread :confused.Are you asking what are the things that will be burned at the Bema Seat judgment that we have done while in our bodies on earth?The judgment of the believers?

It is none of the above. It is Good and bad DEEDS done in the flesh. And it is DEEDS not people who get burned up.

2 Corinthians 5:10 (NASB95)
10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may be recompensed for his deeds in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad.

14 If any man's work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward. 15 If any man's work is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire. 16 Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?
(1 Corinthians 3:14-16 NASB)

Work~~
ergov 2041 neu ---- nom s noun--- work

ergon: work
Original Word: ἔργον, ου, τό
Part of Speech: Noun, Neuter
Transliteration: ergon
Phonetic Spelling: (er'-gon)
Short Definition: work, labor, action, deed
Definition: work, task, employment; a deed, action; that which is wrought or made, a work.

It clearly does not say," If any mans men/people are burned up, he will suffer loss;...."

It is none of the above. It is Good and bad DEEDS done in the flesh. And it is DEEDS not people who get burned up.

2 Corinthians 5:10 (NASB95)
10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may be recompensed for his deeds in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad.

14 If any man's work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward. 15 If any man's work is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire. 16 Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?
(1 Corinthians 3:14-16 NASB)

Work~~
ergov 2041 neu ---- nom s noun--- work

ergon: work
Original Word: ἔργον, ου, τό
Part of Speech: Noun, Neuter
Transliteration: ergon
Phonetic Spelling: (er'-gon)
Short Definition: work, labor, action, deed
Definition: work, task, employment; a deed, action; that which is wrought or made, a work.

It clearly does not say," If any mans men/people are burned up, he will suffer loss;...."
It is their rewards that are burned.We don't know the extent of that as humans but it could be great.

Back