Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What is the work of the builder that will burn?

What do you think the work is that Paul says will be burned up?

• The first two churches built by the Three Little Pigs.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
This is in line with the traditional view of having one's work burned up and losing any reward connected with that work.

And so you don't think the traditional view is incorrect?

While it's certainly true these kinds of personal works you speak of will not be rewarded, and in that sense will not pass through the Judgment with us into the kingdom, the context of the passage is building the building of God (and working the field of God). Some of that which is built in the building of God will not survive the Judgment of fire, while some will. Only that which will pass through will be a reward in the kingdom for the laborer who did that work.

This is especially significant to Paul, who had such a dramatic call to the ministry. The expectation for him to bring more than himself through the flames of Judgment and into the kingdom are much greater. In fact, the scriptures suggest he simply has no excuse not to.

And so you don't think the traditional view is incorrect?
What you shared is correct insofar as a person doing things that, ultimately, simply have no reward in the kingdom because those works count for nothing in the kingdom anyway. I just don't think that is what Paul is addressing in this particular passage. The context is that of the worker working in the building of God building the building of God, a building that the Bible says is a building made up of people, the foundation itself being people--Christ and the Apostles and Prophets--and one in which the Spirit of God dwells.

Paul is saying all this to the Corinthians because he is defending his ministry among them. He wants them to know that his gospel is true and that his efforts are sincere and properly motivated in preaching it to them, for what reward is there in placing people on the foundation of Christ and the Apostles and Prophets that will perishable in the fire of the Judgment to come and who will not be in the building of God on the other side of that fire because of a gospel message, or preaching effort that fails to build them up into that which will be saved? Paul says there is none, only that he himself will be saved, but as by fire. That being true, how can he boast and glory on the Day of Christ in work completed in the building of God who is not there on the Day of Christ to boast and glory in (2 Corinthians 1:13-14 NASB)?

Last edited:
What you shared is correct insofar as a person doing things that, ultimately, simply have no reward in the kingdom because those works count for nothing in the kingdom anyway. I just don't think that is what Paul is addressing in this particular passage. The context is that of the worker working in the building of God building the building of God, a building that the Bible says is a building made up of people, the foundation itself being people--Christ and the Apostles and Prophets--and one in which the Spirit of God dwells.

Paul is saying all this to the Corinthians because he is defending his ministry among them. He wants them to know that his gospel is true and that his efforts are sincere and properly motivated in preaching it to them, for what reward is there in placing people on the foundation of Christ and the Apostles and Prophets that will perishable in the fire of the Judgment to come and who will not be in the building of God on the other side of that fire because of a gospel message, or preaching effort that fails to build them up into that which will be saved? Paul says there is none, only that he himself will be saved, but as by fire. That being true, how can he boast and glory on the Day of Christ in work completed in the building of God who is not there on the Day of Christ to boast and glory in (2 Corinthians 1:13-14 NASB)?

Well, I give you Matthew Henry and Adam Clarke says the same thing about these verses.
I always feel pretty secure when a Calvinist and a non-Calvinist agree on scriptures. :)
"You are God’s husbandry, you are God’s building; and therefore are neither of Paul nor of Apollos; neither belong to one nor the other, but to God: they only plant and water you, but it is the divine blessing on his own husbandry that alone can make it yield fruit. You are not our husbandry, but God’s. We work under him, and with him, and for him. It is all for God that we have been doing among you. You are God’s husbandry and building." He had employed the former metaphor before, and now he goes on to the other of a building:According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise master-builder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. Paul here calls himself a wise master-builder, a character doubly reflecting honour on him.....But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereon. This is a proper caution; there may be very indifferent building on a good foundation. It is easy to err here; and great care should be used, not only to lay a sure and right foundation, but to erect a regular building upon it. Nothing must be laid upon it but what the foundation will bear, and what is of a piece with it. Gold and dirt must not be mingled together. Note, Ministers of Christ should take great care that they do not build their own fancies or false reasonings on the foundation of divine revelation. What they preach should be the plain doctrine of their Master, or what is perfectly agreeable with it....
2. There are others whose works shall be burnt (v. 15), whose corrupt opinions and doctrines, or vain inventions and usages in the worship of God, shall be discovered, disowned, and rejected, in that day-shall be first manifested to be corrupt, and then disapproved of God and rejected. Note, The great day will pluck off all disguises, and make things appear as they are: He whose work shall be burnt will suffer loss. If he have built upon the right foundation wood and hay and stubble, he will suffer loss. His weakness and corruption will be the lessening of his glory, though he may in the general have been an honest and an upright Christian. This part of his work will be lost, turning no way to his advantage, though he himself may be saved. "
http://biblehub.com/commentaries/mhcw/1_corinthians/3.htm

Ok you start.

Paul continues to belabor this point in subsequent Chapters.

In Chapter 5 he is more specific with details as to how a person who is a believer in Christ for salvation, can return to the immoral lifestyle that the believer was once delivered from.

1 It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and such sexual immorality as is not even named among the Gentiles--that a man has his father's wife! 2 And you are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he who has done this deed might be taken away from among you... 9 I wrote to you in my epistle not to keep company with sexually immoral people.

Now please pay attention to Paul's next statement, fot it sets the tone for what He will go on to say in the next Chapter.

10 Yet I certainly did not mean with the sexually immoral people of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world. 11 But now I have written to you not to keep company with anyone named a brother, who is sexually immoral, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or an extortioner--not even to eat with such a person. 12 For what have I to do with judging those also who are outside? Do you not judge those who are inside? 13 But those who are outside God judges. Therefore "put away from yourselves the evil person." 1 Corinthians 5:1-2,9-13

So when we get to the next Chapter and Paul explains to us about these same people and the end result of such, we won't be deceived that Paul is somehow referring to unbelievers who have never believed the Gospel, but rather born again Christians who are believers and are brothers in Christ.

Chapter 6 -

9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, 10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God. 1 Corinthians 6:9-10

Paul is teaching us Christians, not the world, but Christians who practice these things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

He says this in Ephesians and Galatians and Romans, yet somehow those who teach that Christians can not lose there salvation after they are saved, always seem to say Paul is referring to "unbelievers" or those people were never saved...

Yet I certainly did not mean with the sexually immoral people of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world. 11 But now I have written to you not to keep company with anyone named a brother, who is sexually immoral, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or an extortioner--not even to eat with such a person.

JLB

Well, I give you Matthew Henry and Adam Clarke says the same thing about these verses.
I always feel pretty secure when a Calvinist and a non-Calvinist agree on scriptures. :)
"You are God’s husbandry, you are God’s building; and therefore are neither of Paul nor of Apollos; neither belong to one nor the other, but to God: they only plant and water you, but it is the divine blessing on his own husbandry that alone can make it yield fruit. You are not our husbandry, but God’s. We work under him, and with him, and for him. It is all for God that we have been doing among you. You are God’s husbandry and building." He had employed the former metaphor before, and now he goes on to the other of a building:According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise master-builder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. Paul here calls himself a wise master-builder, a character doubly reflecting honour on him.....But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereon. This is a proper caution; there may be very indifferent building on a good foundation. It is easy to err here; and great care should be used, not only to lay a sure and right foundation, but to erect a regular building upon it. Nothing must be laid upon it but what the foundation will bear, and what is of a piece with it. Gold and dirt must not be mingled together. Note, Ministers of Christ should take great care that they do not build their own fancies or false reasonings on the foundation of divine revelation. What they preach should be the plain doctrine of their Master, or what is perfectly agreeable with it....
2. There are others whose works shall be burnt (v. 15), whose corrupt opinions and doctrines, or vain inventions and usages in the worship of God, shall be discovered, disowned, and rejected, in that day-shall be first manifested to be corrupt, and then disapproved of God and rejected. Note, The great day will pluck off all disguises, and make things appear as they are: He whose work shall be burnt will suffer loss. If he have built upon the right foundation wood and hay and stubble, he will suffer loss. His weakness and corruption will be the lessening of his glory, though he may in the general have been an honest and an upright Christian. This part of his work will be lost, turning no way to his advantage, though he himself may be saved. "
http://biblehub.com/commentaries/mhcw/1_corinthians/3.htm
Yes, I'm very aware of the traditional view of the passage.

The problem with it is, they are defining the foundation of Christ as the KNOWLEDGE of Christ, instead of what it is--Christ Jesus himself, which I showed from scripture it most certainly is. Then they define what is built on that foundation in that same vein, saying if we build false doctrines and knowledge of God on the foundational knowledge of salvation in Christ those doctrines and beliefs, and the worship that springs from them, will be shown to be false and will be burned up, and all that will remain is a person's fundamental knowledge of salvation through Christ--thus they will be saved, but that's all. All the works produced by them in line with the false doctrines they built on the knowledge of Christ will burn up with that false doctrine and they will have no 'atta boy' from God at the Judgment. While all this is certainly something that can happen, the context of the passage shows us that this is simply NOT what Paul is addressing.

So you can see that by these theologians starting out with the wrong premise to begin with--that the foundation is the KNOWLEDGE of Christ--that the explanation they build on it is wrong, too. Which is rather ironic considering the metaphor being used in the passage, lol.

Last edited:
When you understand that the Bible itself says that the foundation of the building of God is the PERSON of Christ, not just the knowledge of Christ, and that what gets built on that foundation of Christ himself are BELIEVERS, not doctrines, you can see what Paul is trying to teach the Corinthians, and why.

The important thing to get out of Paul's teaching is whoever you place in the kingdom of God, now, has to be made up of that which will pass safely through the coming Judgment, otherwise you will have no reward for your labor, because they will not be with you in the kingdom to be a crown of glory and praise for you. Your 'work'--that which you built--will be burned up. You yourself will be saved, and depending on the reason why your 'work' did not come with you into the kingdom will determine how hot the fire is by which you are saved.

Last edited:
This is just Swiss Cheese and confusion reigns. I want to make sure I am Clearly reading you right.

We will lose reward(a person) if someone we labor over walks away? And That reward lost is a ex-believer or convert to Christ And the Lost reward is a human being that burns forever and ever in the lake of Fire. And we are held responsible for that persons demise in the lake of fire? Do you not see the implications of all this?

You're right that the implications are troublesome. People are not works to be rewarded to other people. This is the problem with mixing the metaphors of the bible's figurative language as if the bible was only literal. It can suggest conclusions that are not theologically consistent with the gospel.

You're right that the implications are troublesome. People are not works to be rewarded to other people. This is the problem with mixing the metaphors of the bible's figurative language as if the bible was only literal. It can suggest conclusions that are not theologically consistent with the gospel.

14 If anyone's work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward. 15 If anyone's work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire. 1 Corinthians 3:14-15

Where in these verses is the idea, or phrase that teaches us that the work itself is what the worker will be rewarded?

The Rewarder will reward the worker, because his work meets the standard that the Rewarded has set forth.

This does not mean that the Rewarder will reward the worker with the work itself.

I hope you can see this.

JLB

People are not works to be rewarded to other people. This is the problem with mixing the metaphors of the bible's figurative language as if the bible was only literal. It can suggest conclusions that are not theologically consistent with the gospel.
Right. Paul is not saying the people themselves are somehow rewarded to him. They are the reason for his reward of glory and joy and praise in the kingdom to come.

"Are you (Corinthians) not my work in the Lord?" (1 Corinthians 9:1 NASB parenthesis mine)

If Paul's work--the Corinthians--pass successfully through the Judgment to come, Paul will receive the reward for a job well done. His work will be like a crown of glory and joy for him at the Judgment at the appearing of Christ (1 Thessalonians 2:19-20 NASB). If they do not pass through safely and are burned up, how can he receive the reward for a job well done? That's his point to these Corinthians who are his work in the building and field of God.

If you read my posts carefully, you'll see that I'm simply staying consistent with the metaphors the Bible itself uses about Christ and the building of God, and what it says about rewards, in order to discern what Paul is saying here in 1 Corinthians 3:6-15 NASB. It is the traditional view that does not do that.

Yes, I'm very aware of the traditional view of the passage.

The problem with it is, they are defining the foundation of Christ as the KNOWLEDGE of Christ, instead of what it is--Christ Jesus himself, which I showed from scripture it most certainly is. Then they define what is built on that foundation in that same vein, saying if we build false doctrines and knowledge of God on the foundational knowledge of salvation in Christ those doctrines and beliefs, and the worship that springs from them, will be shown to be false and will be burned up, and all that will remain is a person's fundamental knowledge of salvation through Christ--thus they will be saved, but that's all. All the works produced by them in line with the false doctrines they built on the knowledge of Christ will burn up with that false doctrine and they will have no 'atta boy' from God at the Judgment. While all this is certainly something that can happen, the context of the passage shows us that this is simply NOT what Paul is addressing.

So you can see that by these theologians starting out with the wrong premise to begin with--that the foundation is the KNOWLEDGE of Christ--that the explanation they build on it is wrong, too. Which is rather ironic considering the metaphor being used in the passage, lol.

At the judgement seat all will be revealed PUBLICALLY to all those present even the people who were saved and believed what that pastor taught. All the deep, dark secrets of the heart will be revealed. I hardly think that that embarrassment and shame will be considered as nothing happening to them.

The important thing to get out of Paul's teaching is whoever you place in the kingdom of God, ...
I'm pretty sure it's God that places people in His Kingdom, not you or me or even Paul or Apollos.

5 Therefore, what is Apollos and what is Paul?
[Good question. Answer is…]
Servants through whom you believed, [Okay. They are servants THROUGH whom you (the Corinthians) believed. ]
and to each as the Lord gave.

My point is; as with all of Paul’s writings, he gives the credit for “placing” people in the Kingdom to God, not himself. So your commentary above that it’s important to get out of Paul’s teaching is; YOU place in the kingdom of God… is erroneous.
Even though the Corinthians came “through” Paul, it was “God who caused it”, according to Paul.

So what’s Paul working toward for his reward? Read on. He tells us.

6 I planted, Apollos watered, but God was causing it to grow. 7 So then, neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but God who is causing it to grow. (LEB)

Here Paul (the works planter) repeats his stance two more times (so it’s hard to believe you missed it) that neither himself or Apollos are “anything” (but servants) relative to placing people in God’s kingdom. Rather it's God that is causing it (His building, His temple, His people, in this context) to grow. Did you catch that? God is causing it to grow. It's not Paul's work to make it grow (nor is his reward based on it growing).

Rather, Paul's work is to take the message to people (Rom 15:20) compared to Apollos’ ‘watering’ the plants meaning being their minister (Acts 18:24–19:1).

So what’s Paul and Apollos doing? Working as servants to their God. Paul working as an apostle, Apollos as a minister to the Corinthians. Paul a planter, Apollos a waterier. But God still and always the cause of it all growing.

... otherwise you will have no reward for your labor, because they will not be with you in the kingdom to be a crown of glory and praise for you.
Here you misrepresent what the reward is based on. Paul’s reward was based on him taking the Gospel (The foundation) to the field. Apollos’ reward was based on ministering to the plants growing in the field. Neither of which is a sales quote based on the # of converts.
Again, God is the one that gave them their works tasks (two different tasks) and the one that was and is “making His building grow”.
Right. Paul is not saying the people themselves are somehow rewarded to him. They are the reason for his reward of glory and joy and praise in the kingdom to come.
No, they are not the reason for his reward. His work as an apostle is the reason for his reward. Apollos’ work as a minister was his reward. God’s the one they serve in this capacity(as servants) and God’s the one responsible for growing the building, not them. You’re anything but being consistent.

Am I not an apostle? Have I not seen Jesus our Lord? Are you not my work in the Lord? 2 If to others I am not an apostle, yet indeed I am to you, for you are my seal of apostleship in the Lord. 1 Cor 9:1-2 (LEB)​
If Paul's work--the Corinthians--pass successfully through the Judgment to come, Paul will receive the reward for a job well done … If they do not pass through safely and are burned up, how can he receive the reward for a job well done? That's his point to these Corinthians who are his work in the building and field of God.
Wrong again. It is clearly shown; “if – the Corinthians” don’t pass through successfully through the Judgment to come, that’s on God, not Paul or Apollos. Why?

God was causing it to grow. [Per Paul’s words, in contrast to yours]​

What are those 5 crown that will be our reward?
http://www.gotquestions.org/heavenly-crowns.html
Will there be other rewards besides the crowns?That could very well be the case.

1. CROWN OF LIFE
Martyr's crown is the crown of life given to those who have endured all temptations, trials and tribulations here on earth and have never taken no thought of their own lives, but remained steadfast in the word of God living their lives in total surrender to Jesus. (James 1:12; Revelation 2:10)

2. CROWN OF GLORY
Elder or Pastor Crown is given to those who hold the office of leadership over the members that make up the body of Christ. It is their leadership through the Holy Spirit that helps to teach us about God through his word. Theirs is the greatest judgment for what proceeds out of their mouth. (1Peter 5:1-5)

3. CROWN OF REJOICING
A crown of rejoicing is a soul winner’s crown. When we accept Gods commission to take his word out into the world through the power of the Holy Spirit working through us we all rejoice when one lost soul comes back to Gods grace. It’s like the story of the Shepard that had a flock of sheep and one of them strayed away. Even though he loved all his flock he rejoiced more for the lost one he found as now his whole flock was again all together. Imagine the rejoicing if all Gods lost children were found and brought back to Gods grace. What a day of rejoicing that would be. We rejoice in the goodness of God for all the blessings he pours out on us as he is faithful with his promises. (1Thessalonians 2:19,20; Philippians 4:1; Matthew 28:18-19; Matthew 18:11-13)

4. CROWN OF RIGHTEOUSNESS
A crown for those who love his appearing and will be given in that day to the Lord as a bride to a groom. We will see God in all his glory and his righteousness which is our strength when Jesus returns in the clouds to catch us up to meet him in the air and to be with the Lord forever. Gods’ righteousness is perfect in all his judgment on his people. With Gods righteousness we are perfected as we go through the refiner’s fire to be made pure and holy before his throne of grace. It doesn’t matter how we ourselves try to be righteous we can never be so on our own ability because our own righteousness is as a filthy rag before the Lord because we are all sinners, but those who have been Spiritually reborn or renewed of Gods Spirit to them they have been made righteous before the Father. (1Timothy 4:8; Isaiah 45:24; Isaiah 61:10, Colossians 3:2-4)

5. CROWN INCORRUPTIBLE
An incorruptible crown is a victor’s crown to those who have died to self and are subject to the guidance of the Holy Spirit leading them in all their ways and teach with the knowledge that only comes by the Holy Spirit who will teach us all things and bring those things back to our remembrance. None of us are perfect in our own ways, but are perfected by the Holy Spirit working in us and through us. There are many out there walking around in sheep’s clothing, but are only ravenous wolves as they devour those without knowledge of Gods word as they are puffed up and edify themselves by teaching a corruptible word of God through a carnal traditional doctrine that not only puts condemnation on those they teach, but also on themselves as they have no knowledge of the truth of Gods word and are only acting on their own behalf as they have not Gods Spirit in them and on that day of judgment they will hear Jesus say that he never knew them.
We strive for an incorruptible crown that allows us to have more of Jesus and less of ourselves to be able to let the light of Christ shine through us before others so they will see the righteousness of God displayed through us that will draw others to his glorious light so their corruption can be made incorruptible and also become pleasing to the father in all they do and say.
(1Corinthians 9:25-27; 1John 2:28,29; Revelation 4:10,11)

10 According to the grace of God which was given to me, like a wise master builder I laid a foundation, and another is building on it. But each man must be careful how he builds on it. 11 For no man can lay a foundation other than the one which is laid,which is Jesus Christ.

This is what I understand Paul to be talking about.

Paul preach a message of the gospel who's foundation is Jesus Christ. Each person who witnesses or spreads the message must be careful how he builds on that gospel message so as to not corrupt it.
FOR if they build on any other foundation other than the one Paul preached, which is Christ those works that he has done will be burnt up.
It is not the people he preached to that will be burnt, for some will find the Lord even with bad preaching, but his works will be burnt up because they were not built on the correct foundation or were not completely accurate.
He will not receive any reward for those things.

This is what my thoughts also led me to believe as Matthew 7:21 came to mind. If we are not working within the seven spirits, which are wisdom, understanding, counsel, knowledge, reverence, might and the Spirit of the Lord then we are only working through the carnal/flesh in our own good works. The seven churches of the first few chapters of Revelation gives clear instruction on maintaining the foundation that we are to build upon as we keep ourselves in the very Spirit of God and His will.

I'm pretty sure it's God that places people in His Kingdom, not you or me or even Paul or Apollos.

5 Therefore, what is Apollos and what is Paul?
[Good question. Answer is…]
Servants through whom you believed, [Okay. They are servants THROUGH whom you (the Corinthians) believed. ]
and to each as the Lord gave.

My point is; as with all of Paul’s writings, he gives the credit for “placing” people in the Kingdom to God, not himself. So your commentary above that it’s important to get out of Paul’s teaching is; YOU place in the kingdom of God… is erroneous.
Even though the Corinthians came “through” Paul, it was “God who caused it”, according to Paul.
Lol, this is funny.

The worker is the instrument through whom God accomplishes the work of building the building. We get the glory and joy for being cooperative and effective fellow workers in God's work of building the building of God (1 Corinthians 3:6 NASB)....that is, if our work--the people we minister to--pass safely through the Judgment (1 Corinthians 3:14-15 NASB). Otherwise we will have labored in vain (Philippians 2:15-16 NASB), because they're simply not there to be a crown of joy and exultation for us (1 Thessalonians 2:19 NASB).

So what’s Paul working toward for his reward? Read on. He tells us.

6 I planted, Apollos watered, but God was causing it to grow. 7 So then, neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but God who is causing it to grow. (LEB)

Here Paul (the works planter) repeats his stance two more times (so it’s hard to believe you missed it) that neither himself or Apollos are “anything” (but servants) relative to placing people in God’s kingdom. Rather it's God that is causing it (His building, His temple, His people, in this context) to grow. Did you catch that? God is causing it to grow. It's not Paul's work to make it grow (nor is his reward based on it growing).
I never suggested at all that the worker makes the building/field grow. What I pointed out was that scripture says the laborer's work--the people who he ministers to, who pass safely through the Judgement--will be his crown of exultation at the second coming of Christ (1 Thessalonians 2:19-20 NASB). The Bible plainly says this.

Here you misrepresent what the reward is based on. Paul’s reward was based on him taking the Gospel (The foundation) to the field. Apollos’ reward was based on ministering to the plants growing in the field. Neither of which is a sales quote based on the # of converts.
Paul not only set the foundation of Christ among the Corinthians, but the two letters Paul wrote to the Corinthians, preserved in our Bibles for future generations of growing saints, may be the most lengthy 'watering' epistles there are in the Bible. He indeed shares in the task of watering, not just planting.

And because his reward is a crown of glory and exultation for his work (other believers) who make it through the Judgment the reward most certainly is based on the number of converts affected favorably by his ministry efforts. Because Paul was given much, much is required of him. He will have no excuse for not being an important instrument through which God grew the building and field of God.

Again, God is the one that gave them their works tasks (two different tasks)...
Again, it's obvious that Paul also had the task of watering them. And not only them, but hundreds of years of future generations of growing saints. So whatever argument you're trying to make falls flatulent.

No, they are not the reason for his reward.
But Paul says they are:

"1 Therefore, my beloved brethren whom I long to see, my joy and crown" (Philippians 4:1 NASB)

"16...you appear as lights in the world, holding fast the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I will have reason to glory because I did not run in vain nor toil in vain. " (Philippians 2:16 NASB)

"13 For we write nothing else to you than what you read and understand, and I hope you will understand until the end; 14 just as you also partially did understand us, that we are your reason to be proud as you also are ours, in the day of our Lord Jesus." (2 Corinthians 1:13-14 NASB)

"19 For who is our hope or joy or crown of exultation? Is it not even you, in the presence of our Lord Jesus at His coming? 20 For you are our glory and joy."

Wrong again. It is clearly shown; “if – the Corinthians” don’t pass through successfully through the Judgment to come, that’s on God, not Paul or Apollos. Why?
You're not listening. The crown of glory and exultation that Paul will figuratively wear as a reward are the people who he preached to and taught in this life and who make it through the coming Judgment. So how can Paul get a crown of glory and exultation through people he's preached to that don't make it into the kingdom after the Judgment? It's a simple question. It's not a matter of why those people are there, or not there. It's a matter of whether or not Paul gets any praise and exultation for them being there, or not.

Last edited:
3. CROWN OF REJOICING
A crown of rejoicing is a soul winner’s crown.
[...]
What a day of rejoicing that would be.
And Paul's point is, there is no crown of rejoicing for the gospel worker who has no souls saved to rejoice in on the Day of Christ. He himself will be saved, but his work (those he labored to set in the kingdom) will not be there because they did not pass safely through the Judgment at the return of Christ.

The reason they didn't pass through the Judgment, or whether they believed and then didn't believe, is not so much the point of the 1 Corinthians 3 passage as is the simple fact that those who won't pass through the fiery Judgment will not be there present with him in the Day of Christ for them to be a crown of joy and exultation for him.

And Paul's point is, there is no crown of rejoicing for the gospel worker who has no souls saved to rejoice in on the Day of Christ. He himself will be saved, but his work (those he labored to set in the kingdom) will not be there because they did not pass safely through the Judgment at the return of Christ.

The reason they didn't pass through the Judgment, or whether they believed and then didn't believe, is not so much the point of the 1 Corinthians 3 passage as is the simple fact that those who won't pass through the fiery Judgment will not be there present with him in the Day of Christ for them to be a crown of joy and exultation for him.

Only Jesus can save a lost soul as He alone brings in the harvest. All we are called to is to be the labourers of the harvest field planting the seeds of faith. We may never know in whom that seed will grow in that we planted and the Holy Spirit waters as together we are all one body of Christ who receive the crown of glory to place before the feet of Christ.

Only Jesus can save a lost soul as He alone brings in the harvest. All we are called to is to be the labourers of the harvest field planting the seeds of faith. We may never know in whom that seed will grow in that we planted and the Holy Spirit waters as together we are all one body of Christ who receive the crown of glory to place before the feet of Christ.

Jesus Christ uses human beings.

Apostles, Prophets, Evangelist's, Pastors, Teachers.

All these are co-laborers with Christ to do the Work of the Ministry in bringing the Church into maturity.

and again -

... how shall they hear without a preacher.

14 How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? 15 And how shall they preach unless they are sent? As it is written: "How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace, Who bring glad tidings of good things!" Romans 10:14-15

JLB

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back