Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Which language

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
So Jesus would have called Peter "Kepha" (Aramaic) not "Petros" or petra (Greek.) And since petra is feminine, He would never have called Peter that anyway, even if he did speak Greek.

In that day, people probably spoke Eastern Aramaic and Western Aramaic. There were probably local dialects which may have been discerning to people because a maid said to Peter,"Surely thou art one of them: for thou art a Galilaean, and thy speech agreeth [thereto]."-Mark 14:70

"And a superscription also was written over him in letters of Greek, and Latin, and Hebrew, THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS."-Luke 23:38

I would think that there were many people in that day who were multi-lingual.

Greek and Aramaic were spoken at that time. But the oldest manuscripts of the Gospels were written in Greek, which was a more widely used language.

And as far as masculine and Feminine conjugations go, proper nouns have nothing to do with it. For example, in Latin, a simlar langauge to Greek, the name of a certain legion commander was Agricola. It would have been congugated into the usual nominative, genitive, dative, accusitive, and ablative cases just like any feminine noun would have been.
Ex.

Terra-meaning "ground, earth"-First conjugation, Feminine

Singular Plural
Terra Terrea
Terrea Terrarum
Terrea Terris
Terram Terras
Terra Terris

So Agricola would have been the same-Agricola, Agricolea, Agricolea... and so on.

And in Petros, "os" is a masculine ending. So apparently is was conjugated masculine for some reason or another. Some words could have alternative endings. So, it could have easily been Petro or Petra. But don't quote me on that part because I'm note a Greek student. "Intelligo nihil re."

Just a little lesson to brighten your day.

John 7:14 Now about the midst of the feast Jesus went up into the temple, and taught.

John 7:15 And the Jews marvelled, saying, How knoweth this man letters, having never learned?

I would assume Jesus was teaching in Hebrew because the bible reads,"How knoweth this man letters".

In "The Passion of the Christ" Mel Gibson had Jesus speaking Aramaic and Hebrew.

Oh sure, Jesus certainly spoke Hebrew a the synogogue or Temple, no doubt. I was merely explaining the language aspect of the Gospel. I was not uncommon for people to know several languages. And Jesus probably spoke Greek to Pontius Pilate. When He was a child, it ws Mary's responsibility to teach Jesus the Scriptures. Jesus of course had access to the biggest vocab.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back