Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Which one are you?

Well, go on, pick ONE!

• Total voters

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Does sequence have any meaning with predestination?

Yes it does.

A person is born again by the power of God awaken to belief and then is baptized, but if that person dies before they are baptised they are still saved...salvation doesn't depend on man or any act they can muster.

jason

Jason wrote:
person dies before they are baptised they are still saved
Jesus said:
  • "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved"

Collier said:
Jason wrote:
person dies before they are baptised they are still saved
Jesus said:
  • "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved"
There is no contradiction there. Jesus did say that everyone who believes and is baptized shall be saved. He did not say that everyone who is saved has believed and is baptized. These are two very distinct logical statements that have different meanings.

I agree with #5, though I believe that we are to be baptized because it is commanded by Christ.

WyldCyde said:
xsearnold, that list was a good laugh. did you just make that up?

WyldCyde

Yes, based loosely on personal experience, though I'm not dead yet.

ATONEMENT said:
Okay I voted. However, I need to elaborate on my stand on this issue. I did choose number 1 Believe + Baptized = Saved.

However, if a young man was saved Friday night, and called a Church Saturday morning to be baptized Sunday morning, but that night (Saturday) the inevitable happened and he ends up dieing. I believe he will go to Heaven. This does not try to justify that he was not yet baptized, because I believe in baptism, but if he repented and gave his life to the Lord. He's Saved!!

-Atone

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Jason wrote:
Baptized by the Holy Spirit of the Living God!
No! Jesus is speaking of water baptism in this passage.
  • In Matthew's account, Jesus tells His apostles to go teach and baptize. They could not baptize with the Holy Spirit; only Jesus could do that!
All of you can say that one is saved before baptism but to that I would say look at Matthew 22:29.
  • THE FACT IS Jesus said believe + baptism = salvation. You can't deny this. Your false doctrines have blinded you to what Jesus has PLAINLY stated. Anyone who voted anything other than #1 has voted against Jesus' words and His gospel.
I am just amazed how people are willing to try and dispute what Jesus has so clearly said.
  • If you have a problem with what I am saying, your problem is not with me, it is with God and His word. I have simply stated what Jesus said.

I guess we really do need a logic lesson here. A conditional statement is any statement that can be written in the form "If p, then q." From an original conditional statement, you can derive the following 4 statements.

1. If p, then q (Original)
2. If q, then p (Converse)
3. If not p, then not q (Inverse)
4. If not q, then not p (Contrapositive)

People often think that 2-4 are all equivalent to the original. In actuality, 1 and 4 are logically equivalent, as are 2 and 3. If the original is true, then the other three can be true, but only the contrapositive must be true.

Now let's look at the concrete example of Jesus's

1. If you believe and are baptized, then you will be saved.
2. If you are saved, then you have believed and been baptized.
3. If you do not believe or are not baptized,then you will not be saved.
4. If you are not saved, then you have not believed or have not been baptized.

Jesus said statement 1, and 1 and 4 are true. However, statements 2 and 3 do not logically follow from what Jesus said. And this is exactly the claim that you are making. You need to understand the implications of what you read before you denounce the beliefs of others.

The Bible in it's entirity teaches that the Lord Jesus Christ died for the sin of the world (Isaiah 53:5–6; Matthew 20:28; Galatians 3:13; John 1:29); that He rose from the dead (Luke 24:36–43; John 20:25–28); and that he ascended into heaven to appear before God the Father as our Advocate and Intercessor (Hebrews 4:14; 9:24; 1 John 2:1). It also teaches that salvation is the free gift of God (Romans 3:24; 6:23) that is received through personal faith in the Lord Jesus Christ (John 3:16; 6:28–29; Acts 16:30–31; Ephesians 2:8–9).

If you add that one MUST be baptized, then salvation isn't free. One is baptized as a fruit of salvation.

Jason

Jason, first of all let me say that my last post was not directed to you alone. It may have come off that way but it was directed to all that negate the necessity of baptism.
  • Jason, you said
    If you add that one MUST be baptized, then salvation isn't free
    I did not add that; the Holy Spirit said it. When the 3,000 on Pentecost asked "what MUST we do", Peter through inspiration of the HS said "repent and be baptized for the remission of sins". Peter did not tell them that there was nothing to do.
I agree that salvation is a gift of God. However, with any gift (salvation is not one we deserve) we must receive it. If I were to want to give you free money, you would still have to accept it. You could turn it down if you did not want it even though it was free.
  • Jesus told us that to receive this gift we must believe and be baptized and then we would have salvation.
Jason or anyone else, I posted a challenge in the Acts 2:38 thread in apologetics. My challenge was to show me how we get INTO Christ. The reason being is salvation is in Christ and in order for us to be saved we must be in Christ. Show me verses that tell how we get INTO Christ.

2Th 2:13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

We are 'chosen' for 'salvation' and 'belief.'

The Gospel isn't, 'get baptized and be saved' but believe and be saved it's about belief in Christ Jesus. Paul said: For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel...

Quote: Paul said that he came to preach the gospel, not to baptize: "I am thankful that I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius, so no one can say that you were baptized into my name. (Yes, I also baptized the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I don't remember if I baptized anyone else.) For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel..." (1 Cor. 1:14-17). If baptism is necessary for salvation then why did Paul downplay it and even exclude it from the it from the description of what is required for salvation? It is because baptism isn't necessary for salvation.

Additionally, in Acts, Peter was preaching the gospel, people got saved, and then they were baptized. Acts 10:44-46 says, "While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit came on all who heard the message. The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on the Gentiles. For they heard them speaking in tongues and praising God. Then Peter said, ‘Can anyone keep these people from being baptized with water? They have received the Holy Spirit just as we have.' So he ordered that they be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked Peter to stay with them for a few days" (NIV). These people were saved. The gift of the Holy Spirit was on the Gentiles and they were speaking in tongues. This is significant because tongues is a gift given to believers, see 1 Cor. 14:1-5. Also, unbelievers don't praise God. They can't because praise to the true God is a deep spiritual matter that is foreign to the unsaved (1 Cor. 2:14). Therefore, the ones in Acts 10 who are speaking in tongues and praising God are definitely saved and they are saved before they are baptized. This simply isn't an exception. It is a reality.

Quote: Acts 2:38, "Peter replied, ‘Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.‘" This verse is a tough one. It seems to say that baptism is part of salvation. But we know, from other scriptures that it isn't, lest there be a contradiction. What is going on here is simply that repentance and forgiveness of sins are connected. In the Greek, "repent" is in the plural and so is "your" of "your sins." They are meant to be understood as being related to each other. It is like saying, "All of you repent, each of you get baptized, and all of you will receive forgiveness." Repentance is a mark of salvation because it is granted by God (2 Tim. 2:25) and is given to believers only. In this context, only the regenerated, repentant person is to be baptized. Baptism is the manifestation of the repentance, that gift from God, that is the sign of the circumcised heart. That is why it says, repent and get baptized.

You are right that the gospel isn't get baptized and be saved. I have never said that. The gospel is believe and be baptized and be saved.
  • As far as Paul not sent to baptize, we see that he actually did baptize some. Paul wasn't sent to baptize but to preach means that he was to focus his attention to preaching the word while there were others who could baptize the believers. Notice in this passage how baptism works in association with Christ. Through baptism we are of Christ (I Cor. 1:12).
Concerning the household of Cornelius, you miss one important point. Read Acts chapter 11 where Peter retells the events IN THE ORDER in which they occured. In v.14 we find, "who shall tell thee WORDS, WHEREBY THOU AND ALL THY HOUSE SHALL BE SAVED." Now, what was to SAVE them. The gospel is that power of God to save (Romans 1:16). Next notice v. 15, "and as I BEGAN TO SPEAK, the Holy Ghost fell on them". So if faith comes by hearing the Word (Romans 10:17) and Cornelius had not yet heard the WORD THAT WOULD SAVE HIM, he did not even have faith at the point the HS came upon him.
  • This event was fulfillment of the prophecy of Joel and is not how we are converted today.
Jason, what about my challenge? How do you get INTO Christ?Let me help you, Romans 6:3 and Galatians 3:27.

I am #1, BUT....

I believe it goes even beyond that:

I believe you must:

1. Repent
2. Believe and trust God's record. (the word of God)
3. Be Baptized.
4. Recieve the Holy Ghost by laying on of Hands.
5. Believe and understand the Resurrection
6. Believe in and understand Eternal Judgement.

Hebrews 6:1-2. This is the Foundation that one must build upon.
Did the thief next to Christ on the cross do all that?

Back