Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Who ever gets the last Word

Snooki says orange is the new tan!

snooki.jpg

Yes, Sgt. Carter has one more stripe than most of the other sergeants. But it doesn't answer my questions: What is that medal for, and why are Carter and Pyle the only ones in the platoon who have one?

I researched it on the web. The Marine marksmanship pin has two criss-crossed rifles, while Gomer's medal only has one. I suspect that it is not a real award. The next question is" How did Gomer become the only private in the platoon to get one?

Okay, I looked closely at the pictures in the DVD ads, as well as one episode. Gomer's medal features a pair of criss-crossed rifles, and it is the Marine Corps "Expert Rifleman" badge.

The highest award for marksmanship in the Marine Corps, a Marine wears it for one year, and then he must re-qualify. If he qualifies for a lower award, he cannot wear the "Expert Rifleman" badge until he qualifies for it again.

This does not answer my question about why no one in the platoon except Carter and Pyle are wearing ANY marksmanship badge.

I can't answer your question, but I did find an interesting bit of trivia when I was looking for information about this. One of Sgt. Carter's ribbons is a good conduct medal ribbon, but it is not one issued by the USMC. It is the US Army good conduct medal ribbon. This is probably in honor of Frank Sutton's service in the Army during WWII. He joined the Army because he couldn't pass the physical to join the Marines.

There's loads more information at the Internet Movie DataBase (imdb.com), but nothing about why Gomer wears a marksmanship medal.

I researched it on the web. The Marine marksmanship pin has two criss-crossed rifles, while Gomer's medal only has one. I suspect that it is not a real award. The next question is" How did Gomer become the only private in the platoon to get one?

expert in infantry badge, and also one can wear other services award when you cross services.

Until 1958, the US Army and Marine Corps had the same marksmanship badges.

And my friend Theofilus brings up an interesting point. Frank Sutton, who plays Marine gunnery sergeant Vincent Carter, was a World War 2 Army veteran who had served in combat. He had failed the Marines' physical exam, so he had volunteered for the Army, and was honorably discharged as a sergeant.

Back