Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[_ Old Earth _] Why are there no transitionals between kangaroos and humans?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Barbarian

I was recently asked this question. My reply was that marsupials diverges from therian placentals long before primates evolved. I asked him which of Darwin's four points he felt were not supported by evidence, and I got no response. The creationist later suggested that he might have been joking, but I often hear such questions in complete seriousness from ID creationists as well as more traditional creationists.

At first glance, this looks extremely odd, as if someone skeptical of the origin of Romance languages did not know the distribution and history of Latin, and would ask why there are no transitional languages between Thai and Italian.

But I think this is based on the old idea that there is a scala naturae, the Neoplantonic doctrine that there is a ladder of being in nature with each organism on a run just above the next lowest, and just below the next highest. The idea, until Darwin, was commonly held by many educated people.

Obviously, if evolution is true, we would see instead a bush comprised of living and extinct species, with groups distributed like branches and twigs. Which is what we see. The scala naturae is not supported by genetics, anatomy, and paleontological evidence.

The same error is made when people say "if humans evolved from apes, why are there still apes?" Of course, the answer is that no ape living today is the ancestor of humans. Chimpanzees are undoubtedly as evolved from our common ancestor as we are, although in a different direction.

A large difficulty here is that while apes living away from forests are much, much more likely to leave fossils than apes living in forests. Forest soil and biota just don't allow much fossilization. So the various lines of apes that lived in more open areas tend to be at least partially represented, but that isn't the case for apes that lived in forests.

It's another way that education has failed to teach biology in public schools. If everyone understood what evolutionary theory actually is, we'd have less disagreement.

I don't think peope have any issues with evolution as far as what is seen in nature. I think the issue is with common ancestry with other primates. I think we get a sense of greater and lesser beings from the Bible. I believe in Human exceptionalism.
To be fair, I think he meant it like people say molecules to man evolution. They don't mean people evolved directly from molecules or kangaroos.

I don't think peope have any issues with evolution as far as what is seen in nature. I think the issue is with common ancestry with other primates. I think we get a sense of greater and lesser beings from the Bible. I believe in Human exceptionalism.

That was true of the co-discoverer of natural selection, Alfred Wallace. He believed that we couldn't be explained entirely in terms of organic evolution of organisms.

Which is true. Our bodies may have evolved from primates, but our souls cannot be explained by natural processes. As one notable Christian said, we are not mere epiphenomena of our bodies.

To be fair, I think he meant it like people say molecules to man evolution. They don't mean people evolved directly from molecules or kangaroos.

There's a difference. Molecules did form the first living things. But we are not in any way descended from marsupials.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back