Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Why are we so holy when we are in church?

I think certain things are exceptions. Some churches would break your head if you dance in the church. If I go elsewhere...I will dance. This is no hypocrisy.
Correct. I meant more as in personal convictions, not something a specific church has problems with. An example is say an outfit is too tight or too short to be modest so it should not be worn in church, that outfit probably should not be worn to the store either.

Rachel:

I know what you mean. I guess there are various ways of looking at it. Avoiding insincerity, yes, indeed. I guess there are also levels of appropriateness, including with dress codes. For example if we tan in the yard or at the beach, we would have a different dress code from in church. But I know what you mean, I think. Blessings.
Well I just gave that as an example because it applies to me. There are different examples based on the persons confections.

:lol I feel frustrated when we are asked not to dance in church. Some of those elders in the church do strange things at times. History reveals they were great dancers in their youth;) ballroom

C: What to you might seem a source of frustration, to others might be what is expected.

Really? Then there should be an 'us' vs 'them' service.

...and you seem to be arguing that all churches should have dancing when you feel like it. Fellowship among Christians (see John's First Epistle) doesn't work like that.

How about 'majority and vote' especially when only the papas and mamas are saying: Be still - do not dance? If I'm part of the majority I think we should be allowed to survive Coram Deo

Having literally lived in church buildings, while being used as churches, my thoughts on the building very simple. The 'sanctuary' was our playroom in bad weather, the Sunday School rooms our bedrooms.... It was simply home... We were taught to be respectful of the service. Kids did not get up and stroll around, Grown-ups did not need to have a cup of coffee... All the while Dad tried to get folks to understand WE are the church....

Correct. I meant more as in personal convictions, not something a specific
church has problems with. An example is say an outfit is too tight or too short
to be modest so it should not be worn in church, that outfit probably should not
be worn to the store either.
Exactly Rachel.....

Having literally lived in church buildings, while being used as churches, my thoughts on the building very simple. The 'sanctuary' was our playroom in bad weather, the Sunday School rooms our bedrooms.... It was simply home... We were taught to be respectful of the service. Kids did not get up and stroll around, Grown-ups did not need to have a cup of coffee... All the while Dad tried to get folks to understand WE are the church....

Exactly Rachel.....

reba:

I agree very much about respectful behavior. It can be very off-putting in a service or even a store, when young children start behaving wildly.

Also I think that the matter of hemlines may be rather subjective; a lot has changed over many decades. For example, a woman in her 20s in 1964 who wore a miniskirt, might now be approaching 80 and if it were suggested to her great-granddaughters that they shouldn't wear miniskirts or skinny jeans, or whatever (which are worn so, so widely today), they probably wouldn't know what people were talking about. (But what do I know?)

Blessings.

Also I think that the matter of hemlines may be rather subjective; a lot has changed over many decades. For example, a woman in her 20s in 1964 who wore a miniskirt, might now be approaching 80 and if it were suggested to her great-granddaughters that they shouldn't wear miniskirts or skinny jeans, or whatever (which are worn so, so widely today), they probably wouldn't know what people were talking about. (But what do I know?)

Well I am 18 and I understand, so I don't know why other young adults and teenagers could not. To be skin tight jeans, mini skirts, strapless tops, etc. are immodest so I won't wear them. I can still dress stylishly but in a way I feel the Lord would aprove of. I am not saying everyone has to have these convictions. But I don't want to derail this thread anymore.

Exactly Rachel.....
Thanks Reba, you did a good job explaining what I meant!

Well I am 18 and I understand, so I don't know why other young adults and teenagers could not. To be skin tight jeans, mini skirts, strapless tops, etc. are immodest so I won't wear them. I can still dress stylishly but in a way I feel the Lord would aprove of. I am not saying everyone has to have these convictions. But I don't want to derail this thread anymore.

Thanks Reba, you did a good job explaining what I meant!

Hi Rachel: I'm sure God will honor your convictions. I'm sure you do a really great job in trying to dress appropriately, and possibly as well in following your parents' (and especially your mom's) recommendations.

I guess I was just suggesting that with the fact that those items are so widespread among nice young people, it's good just to be a bit low key about the whole matter, too.

Blessings.

Davies: what is it you're asking?

I'm not asking anything. I'm making the point that we can act unholy in the church by what we wear, and to think that we have liberty to do so shows a lack of sanctification.

- Davies

I'm not asking anything. I'm making the point that we can act unholy in the church by what we wear, and to think that we have liberty to do so shows a lack of sanctification.

- Davies

Davies: Oh I agree, yes.

What I don't agree with is the idea of someone acting as dress-police for young people who might look perfectly okay and not at all unusual in denim or with hems that might happen to be way shorter than 60 or 70 years ago.

Blessings.

farouk,

If you call miniskirts, skin-tight jeans, and strapless tops are appropriate, then I would consider that attitude lacking in sanctification. RachelKeeth, I think, has a good understanding of what is inappropriate to wear to church even though those cloths maybe be considered normal to wear in our godless society. "We've come a long way, baby," from sixty years ago. I have observed that many people don't like the authority of the church they go to, not realizing that is the authority that God has ordained, like it or not.

- Davies

farouk,

If you call miniskirts, skin-tight jeans, and strapless tops are appropriate, then I would consider that attitude lacking in sanctification. RachelKeeth, I think, has a good understanding of what is inappropriate to wear to church even though those cloths maybe be considered normal to wear in our godless society. "We've come a long way, baby," from sixty years ago. I have observed that many people don't like the authority of the church they go to, not realizing that is the authority that God has ordained, like it or not.

- Davies

Davies: (Did I mention strapless tops?)

What I did refer to was jeans, and plenty of decent young people sometimes wear them, whether to a youth group meeting or a prayer meeting or whatever. This is a plain fact. And the idea that they should feel somehow a hostile atmosphere if they do, would be completely unrealistic, in my humble opinion.

Another thing: it's all cultural anyway and frankly one cannot supposedly establish for all time the hemline customs of 60 - 70 years ago. Frankly, it won't work. It just doesn't.

Blessings.

Back