Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Why are we so holy when we are in church?

Hi farouk,

My conscience troubles me with what you say.

- Davies

You have to be answerable for your conscience. All I can say is that having been around young people for a long time, if some young people show at a prayer meeting wearing jeans (amost the staple dress of so many young people), I fail to become moved to indignation. If you do; this is your conscience between you and the Lord. And I wouldn't want to snipe at them or manipulate things to try to stop them, either. We have got better things to do, as the Lord's people.

I don't know if I can explain myself better than this.
Blessings.

farouk,

I chalk it up to the place where a person is in the sanctification process. There is no condemnation for those in Jesus who wear tight jeans and strapless tops to church, as harmful as they can be.

- Davies

farouk,

I chalk it up to the place where a person is in the sanctification process. There is no condemnation to those who wear tight jeans and strapless tops to church, as harmful as they can be.

- Davies

Davies, Like I already said before, I never even mentioned strapless tops (read the thread again and see), so please don't put words into my mouth.

Blessings.

farouk,

I'm not quoting you, so please, don't feel as if I'm putting words into your mouth.

- Davies

I admire ladies who have the courage to wear long flowing dresses and skirts, and high necklines. If done correctly it can make one look very desirable and feminine. It leaves much to the imagination and screams respectful. Personally, I think skin tight jeans and tops which leave very little to the imagination sends the message that I feel inadequate and am trying too hard and over-compensating. No slight intended to any female board members, this is just Ed's old school views and opinions.

Ed: Well you can have all the personal aesthetics preferences you want! :)

You can't un-invent blue jeans, though.

Blessings.

Clumsy? IDK I never wore one, lol. I think they're sexy, respectable, feminine, and resplendent. They're not old fashioned either, I see ladies wearing them and looking good.
don't make it so long....you'd battle down the stairs

I went to a pioneer village museum or someplace like this, with people in costumes, which for women were long, floppy dresses. They said that in such places a significant proportion of serious injuries and deaths used to be when women in kitchens would allow the long, floppy tresses of their dresses too get too near the open hearth and the would catch fire.

Frankly in many ways pants for women seem far more sensible.

(Two cents'.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to a pioneer village museum or someplace like this, with people in costumes, which for women were long, floppy dresses. They said that in such places a significant proportion of serious injuries and deaths used to be when women in kitchens would allow the long, floppy tresses of their dresses too get too near the open hearth and the would catch fire.

Frankly in many ways pants for women seem far more sensible.

(Two cents'.)
My dad's aunt, who was raising him and taking care of his dad after dad's mom/granddad's wife died in childbirth, died in exactly this fashion. It was 1920's rural Missouri. There wasn't a lot of difference between then and 70 years before.

Have you noticed that most people appear so holy when they are in church? They look like angels and appearing so friendly and spiritual. But when they leave the church and the presense of the assembly they turn into something else. Why? Why are some so different at home? :dunno :shrug :confused

As you have said in your OP there is a lot more to being HOLY than what one wears.

There are many reasons people may act differently at home than in church. I'll get rid of the ugly one first....

They're hypocrites.
They don't feel well....as someone said
There is much stress in their home life that they are able to set aside while in church
etc, etc

What I find distrubing is this scenerio....
Someone treats their neighbor nicely in church but outside they gossip about them, ignore them on the street, etc. that to me is unholy.

Be careful around fire! Don't wear long skirts camping? Keeping to topic, there is little danger in wearing skirts to Church. It shows respect to the Church and themselves.

E: Well, okay, but if they do wear pants in church (as sometimes happens where we go), it's no big deal. I really don't see what the big deal is.

Be careful around fire! Don't wear long skirts camping? Keeping to topic, there is little danger in wearing skirts to Church. It shows respect to the Church and themselves.

Depends on how long those skirts are, or aren't. Hehe.

These days a bit above the knee or thereabouts would probably be more business like, in work situations, I guess.

The long and floppy look can be a bit dressy for business, I guess. (But what do I know?)

It's funny that this turned into a discussion about long skirts and dresses :)

As a long skirt wearer I feel I must defend! When paired with a cardigan or blazer and a casual top long skirts are perfectly suitable for work.

And they do not make it any more difficult to walk down stairs, but up maybe! She might need you to carry her Bible for her :)

Have you noticed that most people appear so holy when they are in church? They look like angels and appearing so friendly and spiritual. But when they leave the church and the presense of the assembly they turn into something else. Why? Why are some so different at home? :dunno :shrug :confused

Most of us mind out Ps & Qs when in formal settings such as Church, funerals, weddings and the like. Sometimes I believe people feel more "judged" in Church than when they are outside the Church doors. In my opinion many have good reason to feel that way.

I was talking to a young mother of 5 boys today who got off facebook because too many women in her Church used it to bash people who were not up to their standards. I feel bad this young mother. I hate legalism and judgmentalism.

Back