Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Why are we so holy when we are in church?

I don't see anything wrong with jeans and leather jackets. I wear that pretty often myself. (of course with my boots)

P31Woman:

Well, exactly. It's what so many young women dress in. (In fact, women from teens to great-grandmothers would, I think, these days.)

Blessings.

(PS: Boots: I guess boots with heels are optional...just kidding!)

Kaileymarie:

So would you say that a long skirt is really part of being maritally flirtatious?

Or is the long skirt really more comfortable?

Or maybe 50/50 combination of the two?

Or maybe you don't really know yourself, altogether?

(Just curious... :) )

Blessings.

Well yes, it is being maritally flirtatious.. It reminds him of when we met and our young love :)

When I wore long skirts almost every day I was a bit of a beach combing hippie. Liked the style, practical for going to and from the beach all day, comfy, and the "flowiness" makes me feel feminine.

I never remember have any problems tripping over myself, either, classik!

I don't see anything wrong with pants, but last night at church I saw a woman about my age (26) wearing leggings and a tank top (im in the south but it was still chilly last night). I thought of this thread right away! I agree it does not matter how you are dressed, I don't really think the Lord cares about how nice your clothes are. As if he wants us to spend our/his money on "nice clothes" anyway. Ha!!!

What does matter is WHY you wear what you wear.

In my honest opinion I feel like church is a place for us to escape "the world" a bit. If a gossiping woman comes to church thinking it is a refuge, but ends up at a table with some gossiping women, she is tempted. I feel the same can be said about clothing... I go to a very large church so I'm going to guess there are dozens if not a couple hundred men with a lust problem. Even if you go to a small church and there is only 1.. Why even put the temptation out there? If a sex addict can see that much leg or every curve, they might not be able to control where their thoughts go as you fine men can :)

Lust in the church....as a result of short skirts? :lol Perhaps we need to see one of my sisters who despite wearing 'overall' made of thick lead blocks (that cover all her body) still looks fantastically charming.

I like neat and decent dresses. But when a skirt is too long...I think it can help sweep the street while the wearer moves:shocked Sanitation el dämbündûm

Well yes, short skirts can induce lustful thoughts.. Just like a low cut shirt. Does that really sound crazy to you?

My brother in law is 24. He was raised in the church but has fallen away and spent some time in jail for drugs and hangs with the wrong crowd. I hope when he comes to church for small group I pray he's not sitting across from a cute girl in a short skirt in our circle, as all his attention should be on the lesson and not a pretty young lady's legs. We all know what high school boys are thinking about.

Maybe it sounds extreme and I know I'm more conservative in my beliefs on this than most of the world.

My skirts never "dusted the street"... Haha! My prom and wedding dresses were filthy by the end of the night from touching the floor, why would anyone wear a skirt that would be torn up and dirty from dragging on the ground all day? Seems silly to me, too :-P

Well yes, short skirts can induce lustful thoughts.. Just like a low cut shirt. Does that really sound crazy to you?

My brother in law is 24. He was raised in the church but has fallen away and spent some time in jail for drugs and hangs with the wrong crowd. I hope when he comes to church for small group I pray he's not sitting across from a cute girl in a short skirt in our circle, as all his attention should be on the lesson and not a pretty young lady's legs. We all know what high school boys are thinking about.

Maybe it sounds extreme and I know I'm more conservative in my beliefs on this than most of the world.

My skirts never "dusted the street"... Haha! My prom and wedding dresses were filthy by the end of the night from touching the floor, why would anyone wear a skirt that would be torn up and dirty from dragging on the ground all day? Seems silly to me, too :-P

:toofunny :toofunny.

I totally agree with you. People should wear decent skirts not only in church - everywhere.

There are nice and cute long skirts.
(For those sweep-the-street skirts...umm not good)

:dunno :shrug :confused
dep_6737313-Cartoon-girl-cheerleader-in-short-skirt.jpg

See how the shorter dress was illustrated with a young good looking girl smiling, and the long dress was illustrated with an old woman with a mean look on her face? LOL. Bias bias bias tsk tsk. ;)

E:

Ah, but in this picture, also posted by Classik, the young lady has a nice smile:

cmyk-women-s-simple-and-decent-bust-skirts-black_vmdgix1353898139757.jpg

Blessings.

See how the shorter dress was illustrated with a young good looking girl smiling, and the long dress was illustrated with an old woman with a mean look on her face? LOL. Bias bias bias tsk tsk. ;)

Wasn't that randomly selected?:toofunny :D

From the OP:

Have you noticed that most people appear so holy when they are in church? They look like angels and appearing so friendly and spiritual. But when they leave the church and the presense of the assembly they turn into something else. Why? Why are some so different at home? :dunno :shrug :confused
:topictotopic ...

... and off the fashion discussion.

Once-a-week Christians are people who are more invested in the world than they are in Christ and His atoning work and His command to service. One could question whether or not they are even Christians, but is that the proper reaction? I say, resoundingly, NO!

People get wrapped up in the things of the world, and it is easy to get distracted in this day and age. Kids have soccer, baseball, football, dance, cheerleading, Scouts, etc., ad nauseum, ad infinitum. We run constantly from one place to another, we have our work and our own "activities" such as the gym and aerobics or clubs, gatherings, lunches, etc. We have the latest and greatest gadgets like the iPhone 5, the MS Surface with Windows 8, Skype, Facebook, Twitter and ... yeah, even CF.net. When do we have time to invest in Christ, our sanctification and our service?

Well, I'm made a vow that I will be doing much more of that. It could be said that I serve already, as an addictions counselor in a non-profit. But I get paid for that. Is it truly service? It is so much as the pastor gets paid for his work. But what about outside of myself and my income? There are myriad things I can do: Serve in a soup kitchen. Advocate for the homeless. Sort out old clothes and give them to the church or to Salvation Army. Not to mention attending weekly Bible studies at church, being involved with the men's group and (as I am doing) preparing a Sunday morning presentation for all the parents in the church on how to talk to their kids about sex, drugs, alcohol and tobacco.

Once-a-week Christians may be very serious about their investment in Christ, the church, their sanctification and their service. But they have let themselves become so entangled in the world that the don't know how to break the cycle. I would urge all of us, find a way. Break the cycle of "doing" without "achieving" for Christ. Start simple. Become more involved. Get to the point that we invest as much time in the important things in life -- Jesus, the church, our growth and service to others -- as we have been investing in ourselves and our kids. Get the kids involved. Set examples for them that they can live out for the rest of their lives.

If we would set those examples, and all the families in church attendance and membership would start giving just an hour a week for each member of the family to service and growth, we could stop complaining that no one does anything to improve this world. Because we will have done it.

Back