Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Why are we so holy when we are in church?

Humans are creatures of habit more than anything. In home environments we feel relaxed to be ourselves freely and without scrutiny. In any public venue, people are more likely to adapt the habits of whatever environment they are in for several reasons: 1.) to fit in ...2.) not to call attention to themselves. Others might argue that people act differently because they are hypocritical about their faith. This is a negative viewpoint and does nothing to edify your fellow believer. A person can act one way privately and another privately and still honor Christ.

A person can act one way privately and another privately and still honor Christ.
How productive is that honoring of Him if we do not make certain that we honor Him in all aspects of our lives? If a man is willing to make an appearance in church, worship, sing, hear the word, but immediately forgets what he has done and heard once he leaves the church, acting in another manner entirely, how is it that he honors Christ in all his life? I don't believe he does.

Mathew 6:5-6 addresses this
5 "And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

as it says in the passage many of them a hypocrites and feel obligated to go to church look and show themselves among the community fulfilling the obligation of mass but are really just going through the motions.

And let me say just above the knee is fine in my opinion! Some of the skirts I see at church though are much shorter :sad

Sounds reasonable...:)
At the risk of again derailing the thread, how far above the knee? I've seen some "above the knee" locations that are positively embarrassing for me as a viewer. Can't imagine how the young lady manages to wear the skirt without being grossly embarrassed themselves!

At the risk of again derailing the thread, how far above the knee? I've seen some "above the knee" locations that are positively embarrassing for me as a viewer. Can't imagine how the young lady manages to wear the skirt without being grossly embarrassed themselves!
Perhaps after this question being answered we could return to the OP? Over 100 posts about dress length is more than a tangent, lol. :lol

:toofunny
maybe the mods are to blame for not enabling the chat app:chin
If you think a chatroom is a good idea, then suggest it in the Questions & Suggestions forum and get people to discuss it, and the staff may consider it.

If you think a chatroom is a good idea, then suggest it in the Questions & Suggestions forum and get people to discuss it, and the staff may consider it.

Oops! If something gets out of hand I'd be the one to blame for suggesting it;)

someone once said the chat thing can't easily be controlled

Oops! If something gets out of hand I'd be the one to blame for suggesting it;)
You'd only be to blame if you were the one involved in things getting out of hand :D

someone once said the chat thing can't easily be controlled
That is something that would be discussed before implementation. A chatroom (or shoutbox) is relatively difficult to moderate, and as such there would be an understanding of an enter at your own risk kind of thing. Perhaps we limit the use of the chatroom to members who are over a certain age (16 or 18) and have been here for x amount of days or x amount of posts. I'm not sure.

But let's not derail this thread anymore. I encourage you to start a thread in Questions & Suggestions if this is something you wish to persue. :yes

An inch or two in my opinion. I have a great respect for people who dress modestly and don't wear a lot of makeup. Too many girls think they need makeup to look pretty and it's sad. But that's a whole other topic...

Anyway, if you're going to dress modestly just because you're going to church you should also dress modestly outside of church, and that goes for everything else. It is only a meeting place for His people, the world is where we should really be "at work" showing people what it means to live a life dedicated to the Lord.

I was talking with my agnostic cousin and she of course said there was no way to know if any religion was actually right. I told her she should do some investigating, because I don't see how someone could believe there is a God but not believe he would want to have a relationship with his people. She had never thought about it before.

Maybe some people just don't know what it's really about.

And others like the idea but don't want to do as God says, so they don't. Unless of course someone from the church is watching!

I know for me being at church is nice because there are reminders of him everywhere, so it's easy not to get wrapped up in worldly things. Once I leave I'm surrounded by the world and it's easy to be distracted and do unholy things before giving it any thought.

Back