Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Why do Catholics omit the second commandment

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Here is a picture of the Catholic Version of the Ten Commandments from the Catechism.

It would not paste directly so I made a link.

Do you guys believe this is ok, or were you aware of this?
The link doesn't work.
But as I have pointed out before:

"Here it is from the Catechism of the Catholic Church:
Article 1

THE FIRST COMMANDMENT

I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. You shall have no other gods before me. You shall not make for yourself a graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them or serve them.3
3 is a reference to a footnote:- Ex 20:2-5; cf. Deut 5:6-9.

Nothing omitted, nothing cancelled."

Also as I have pointed out (and you seem to have ignored):
"Jews do not split Dt 5:7 (Ex 20:3) from Dt 5:8-10 (Ex 20 4-6) so why do you think you should?"

The link doesn't work.
But as I have pointed out before:

"Here it is from the Catechism of the Catholic Church:
Article 1

THE FIRST COMMANDMENT

I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. You shall have no other gods before me. You shall not make for yourself a graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them or serve them.3
3 is a reference to a footnote:- Ex 20:2-5; cf. Deut 5:6-9.

Nothing omitted, nothing cancelled."

Also as I have pointed out (and you seem to have ignored):
"Jews do not split Dt 5:7 (Ex 20:3) from Dt 5:8-10 (Ex 20 4-6) so why do you think you should?"

The Catholic Catechism omits the second commandment.

Click on the link above and see for yourself.

The question is why?

JLB

So you believe it’s ok to have statues and carved images of Jesus and Mary and bow down to them?
Are you not bothering to read my posts? If not, I won't continue to waste my time.

The answer is by virtue of the Incarnation, God Himself has now revealed Himself. He is thus the ultimate Iconographer, as Christis the image of the invisible God.

To be an iconoclast is to deny that God has come in the flesh. It is a rejection of the Incarnation.

The Catholic Catechism omits the second commandment.

Click on the link above and see for yourself.

The question is why?

JLB
FYI, as Mungo has pointed out, you are in error.

In fact the reverse is the case. It is Protestants who made the first commandment into two. Then, to escape having eleven commandments, turned the ninth and tenth into one!

#History

Are you not bothering to read my posts? If not, I won't continue to waste my time.

The answer is by virtue of the Incarnation, God Himself has now revealed Himself. He is thus the ultimate Iconographer, as Christis the image of the invisible God.

To be an iconoclast is to deny that God has come in the flesh. It is a rejection of the Incarnation.

Brother, we are taking about carved statues of Jesus, not the incarnation or what someone thinks Jesus looks like.

Why do you think it’s ok to make statues of Jesus or Mary and bow down to them?

The link is to your own pm.

So yes it works.

It didn't work for me until you added me to the conversation.
I will come back to this later in a later post.

But first a couple of facts that you are not addressing.

FACT 1
The Catechism of The Catholic Church includes the verses you claim are missing.
I keep posting this from the Catechism of The Catholic Church on the Vatican web site, but you seem to be in denial:
Article 1

THE FIRST COMMANDMENT

I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. You shall have no other gods before me. You shall not make for yourself a graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them or serve them.

The footnote 3 says 3 Ex 20:2-5; cf. Deut 5:6-9.

It's all there so why are you in denial of that?

FACT 2
The Jews, who ought to know the Ten Commandments since it was delivered to them by Moses, include Ex20:3-6 as one commandment.
The link I gave you to Wikipedia shows that.
Also as does this from a Jewish site
2. Prohibition of Improper Worship This category is derived from Ex. 20:3-6, beginning, "You shall not have other gods..." It encompasses within it the prohibition against the worship of other gods as well as the prohibition of improper forms of worship of the one true G-d, such as worshiping G-d through an idol.
(Judaism101)
Why do you think it correct to split it into two?

Regarding your picture. See next post.

Last edited:
It didn't work for me until you added me to the conversation.
I will come back to this in a later post.

Ok.

Like many “Protestants“ (not my word) who pervert God’s word and commandments their are probably Catholics who may do also.

I just pointed this out to talk about it.

Individuals people must choose to either obey or disobey our Lord, and to keep His commandments or not.

Our denominational label will be of no use to us on the Day of Judgement.

He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 1 John 2:4

This applies to me, first and foremost.

Love is something we do, not so much what we say.

For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome. 1 John 5:3

JLB

Ten Commandments.jpg

If that is taken from the Catechism of the Catholic Church then it is a deceitful edited version.

Here is the full text from the CCC from the IN BRIEF section (I've taken out the line spacing for neatness) but note this is the IN BRIEF section.
The Ten Commandments
Exodus 20 2-17
I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
You shall have no other gods before me. You shall not make for yourself a graven image, or any likeness
of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the
earth; you shall not bow down to them or serve them; for I the LORD your God am a jealous God,
visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and the fourth generation of those
who hate me, but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my
commandments.
You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless
who takes his name in vain.
Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor, and do all your work; but the
seventh day is a sabbath to the LORD your God; in it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or
your daughter, your manservant or your maidservant or your cattle, or the sojourner who is within your
gates; for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the
seventh day; therefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day and hallowed it.
Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land which the LORD your God
gives you.
You shall not kill.
You shall not commit adultery.
You shall not steal.
You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, or his manservant
or his maidservant or his ox, or his ass, or anything that is your neighbor's

As you can see it shows the full text from Exodus.

It continues
Deuteronomy 5:6-21
I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt out of the house of bondage.
You shall have no other gods before me . . .
You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain . . .
Observe the sabbath day, to keep it holy. . .
Honor your father and your mother . . .
You shall not kill.
Neither shall you commit adultery.
Neither shall you steal.
Neither shall you bear false witness against your neighbor.
Neither shall you covet your neighbor's wife .

You shall not desire . . . anything that is your neighbor's.
Note it has only given the first part of each commandment but it clearly shows that by the ....
This is clearer in the paper version which shows them side by side.

It then goes on
A Traditional Catechetical Formula
1. I am the LORD your God: you shall not have strange Gods before me.
2. You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.
3. Remember to keep holy the LORD'S Day.
4. Honor your father and your mother.
5. You shall not kill.
6. You shall not commit adultery.
7. You shall not steal.
8. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
9. You shall not covet your neighbor's wife.

10. You shall not covet your neighbor's goods.
Again, in the paper version it is side by side with the other two.

A Catechetical version is brevity The rest of the commandment is understood to be included. You will find this in Protestant versions. I've seen them on the walls of Protestant churches where only the first sentence (or even part of that) is given.

For example
Remember the sabbath day
The rest of the commandment is understood to be included
to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor, and do all your work; but the
seventh day is a sabbath to the LORD your God; in it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or
your daughter, your manservant or your maidservant or your cattle, or the sojourner who is within your
gates; for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the
seventh day; therefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day and hallowed it.

Pretending the rest of the commandment has been removed is incorrect (to put it politely).

BTW - here is the link - TEN COMMANDMENTS -IN BRIEF

Last edited:
Brother, we are taking about carved statues of Jesus, not the incarnation or what someone thinks Jesus looks like.

Why do you think it’s ok to make statues of Jesus or Mary and bow down to them?
Brother, the commandment states you are not to make "an image in the form of ANYTHING in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below." (Exodus 4:5)

And again, "Take ye therefore good heed unto yourselves; for ye saw no manner of similitude on the day that the Lord spake unto you in Horeb out of the midst of the fire: Lest ye corrupt yourselves, and make you a graven image, the similitude of any figure, the likeness of male or female, the likeness of any beast that is on the earth, the likeness of any winged fowl that flieth in the air, the likeness of any thing that creepeth on the ground, the likeness of any fish that is in the waters beneath the earth: And lest thou lift up thine eyes unto heaven, and when thou seest the sun, and the moon, and the stars, even all the host of heaven, shouldest be driven to worship them, and serve them, which the Lord thy God hath divided unto all nations under the whole heaven. But the Lord hath taken you, and brought you forth out of the iron furnace, even out of Egypt, to be unto him a people of inheritance, as ye are this day." (Deut. 4:15-20)

You don't even believe the commandment you are accusing Catholics of violating. You have an IMAGE of a man above your screen name!

Hello???

Brother, the commandment states you are not to make "an image in the form of ANYTHING in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below." (Exodus 4:5)

that they may believe that the LORD God of their fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has appeared to you.”
Exodus 4:5

And again, "Take ye therefore good heed unto yourselves; for ye saw no manner of similitude on the day that the Lord spake unto you in Horeb out of the midst of the fire: Lest ye corrupt yourselves, and make you a graven image, the similitude of any figure, the likeness of male or female, the likeness of any beast that is on the earth, the likeness of any winged fowl that flieth in the air, the likeness of any thing that creepeth on the ground, the likeness of any fish that is in the waters beneath the earth: And lest thou lift up thine eyes unto heaven, and when thou seest the sun, and the moon, and the stars, even all the host of heaven, shouldest be driven to worship them, and serve them, which the Lord thy God hath divided unto all nations under the whole heaven. But the Lord hath taken you, and brought you forth out of the iron furnace, even out of Egypt, to be unto him a people of inheritance, as ye are this day." (Deut. 4:15-20)

You don't even believe the commandment you are accusing Catholics of violating. You have an IMAGE of a man above your screen name!

Hello???

You shall not make for yourself a carved image—any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; Exodus 20:4

You shall not make for yourself a carved image—any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; Exodus 20:4
Brother, the commandment says "You shall not make for yourself a graven image, OR ANY LIKENESS
of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the
earth;

Again, you don't even believe the commandment you are accusing Catholics of violating. You have an IMAGE of a man above your screen name!

Hello???

that they may believe that the LORD God of their fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has appeared to you.”
Exodus 4:5

You shall not make for yourself a graven image, OR ANY LIKENESS
OF ANYTHING that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the
earth;

You have an IMAGE OF A MAN above your screen name here.

Hello????

You don't even believe the commandment you are accusing Catholics of violating. "Images for me, but not for thee Catholics!!!"

Thought I'd play JLB 's game, "Fun With Straw Men"...

Why have Protestants omitted the 9th commandment?

Why do they think it is ok to covet their neighbors' wives?

10comm.png

Bump for JLB...

Why have Protestants omitted the 9th commandment?

Why do Protestants think it is ok to covet their neighbors' wives?

10comm.png

Are you done playing the "Fun with Straw Men" game?

JLB the Bible does not provide a list of the commandments!

The content of the commandments are in ex 20 but not a list of where the first ends and where the second begins, according to subject matter or context the first commandment would include ex 2-6 then the second would be ex 7 the third ex 8-11 the fourth ex 12 the fifth ex 13 the sixth ex 14 the seventh ex 15 the eighth ex 17 the ninth ex 17 (goods) and the tenth ex 17 (wife)

Hope this helps

As far as idolatry and worship goes only God by be worshipped

Prayer, devotion, love, and veneration are not worship!

Worship requires intent, adoration, propitiatory reparation, thanksgiving and petitions!

Likewise graven images are forbidden (those worshiped as a god) but images as representations are not forbidden but even commanded!

exod 25:18 and the bronze serpent num 21:9 and Jn 3:14

Back