Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

WHY IS GOD A WARRIOR AND JESUS A PANSY?

I admit that I am not an expert on the Bible etc. but why is GOD of the old testament a harsh or warrior type that destroys -Evil- and or the enemies of Israel etc.. Jesus of the new testament seems to be a -Pansy- that allows evil such as abortion and liberal philosophy etc. and destroys nothing, just asking...
PS, since I am not an expert on the Bible, try to use everyday English to explain the error of my thinking...

I admit that I am not an expert on the Bible etc. but why is GOD of the old testament a harsh or warrior type that destroys -Evil- and or the enemies of Israel etc.. Jesus of the new testament seems to be a -Pansy- that allows evil such as abortion and liberal philosophy etc. and destroys nothing, just asking...
PS, since I am not an expert on the Bible, try to use everyday English to explain the error of my thinking...
Ah, but you judge too soon. Jesus will hardly be a pansy when He returns as King of Kings and Lord of Lords. That's why it's good that we all make peace with him now before he returns.

The judgments of the OT are illustrations and warnings for us of how God has promised to one day judge all of mankind. But in the meantime his desire is for men to come to their senses and repent and be spared on that Day.

"...the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire, being kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men.

8 But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. 9 The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance." (2 Peter 3: NIV1984)

Do not mistake the velvet glove of the temporary state of grace as belying the nature of the iron hand inside. God, for the moment is giving us a chance, let us embrace all the grace He intends to give......before the gloves come off and judgment day....is at hand

God was never a warrior. He simply protected the righteous.

Yes, and Jesus didn't bow down to the power mongers that ran things.

Yes, and Jesus didn't bow down to the power mongers that ran things.
Good point.

"“Teacher,†they said, “we know you are a man of integrity and that you teach the way of God in accordance with the truth. You aren’t swayed by men, because you pay no attention to who they are." (Matthew 22:16 NIV1984)

Good point.

"“Teacher,†they said, “we know you are a man of integrity and that you teach the way of God in accordance with the truth. You aren’t swayed by men, because you pay no attention to who they are." (Matthew 22:16 NIV1984)

Thank you.

Have you seen a Roman garrison lately?
Have you seen a church?

Jesus came to destroy the works of the devil. But not through overwhelming might and power, rather through the Spirit. Still though in time and on earth. Basically with both hands tied behind His back. His purpose included leaving us here while the enemy is still active, taking the least weapon, humans and all their frailties and weakness,as compared to spiritual beings, and sending this 'army' straight into the enemy camp to plunder its wealth. It all could have been done with the shake of a finger, but somehow this way is better for us. He even calls us partners.

Quite a thing when you think about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
wait a minute, one correction.

the lord of hosts implies a man of war. in the ot isreal was too look to god for protection.

that is what lord of hosts means that also a righteous judge.

g0sO8.jpg

Hoo, boy; that's a great way to go to Hell.

One does not simply call Jesus a pansy. He was the farthest thing from. He taught about peace, yes, but peace that could only exist under Him. He just gave the world a warning, so that people could either choose to be evil, or choose to be Christian. Giving a warning before unleashing Judgement is not being a pansy; it is being merciful.

When I think of Jesus, the last thought that comes to my mind is, "pansy." Jesus was the strongest man I have ever known. Would that I could exhibit his compassion, love, self control, strength of character, commitment, willful desire, humility, and grace despite all the mockery, scorn, disdain, anger, fear, and persecution he faced.

Pansy he was not. Leader of leaders, king of kings, and lord of lords he most definitely was, is, and always will be.

OK, listen. Jesus isn't and wasn't a pansy. He rebuked people (sometimes harshly) all the time. He talked about Hell a good bit. He demanded a lot of those who would follow Him. He was God made flesh, come to earth to show mercy to sinners and show us the way to salvation. I think your question says much more about your view of what real "strength" is than it does about Jesus or God the Father. I think before you question Christ--who died for our sins and lived a sinless life, mind you--you should examine yourself.

:chin...yeah, I would not consider willfully taking on the sins of man, and knowingly paying for that debt with your life a pansy. :)

Jesus was the strongest man I have ever known. Would that I could exhibit his compassion, love, self control, strength of character, commitment, willful desire, humility, and grace despite all the mockery, scorn, disdain, anger, fear, and persecution he faced.
aka, 'meekness'.

53 Do you think I cannot call on my Father, and he will at once put at my disposal more than twelve legions of angels?” (Matthew 26:53 NIV1984)

Having the ability to do this, and every reason to do it...and yet not doing it.

54 But how then would the Scriptures be fulfilled that say it must happen in this way?” (Matthew 26:54 NIV1984)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait a minute you all, God is a God of war, and He is also a God of peace. And did He say I am the Lord, I change not. He has not changed He still a God of love violence and peace.

Christ IS GOD of the Bible, ALL OF IT!

--Elijah

I see what the orignial poster means and I can see why he used the extreme terms and it describes what he sees. The bible is one book but when Jesus was not in the flesh there was a lot of killing going on in the bible and when he arrives in the flesh he doesn't kill. Give the poster credit for seeing this

Back