Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Why Jesus did not come to save everyone

salvation isnt luck theres a large coptic underground in iran.

i know a copt who told me that in iran theres a million at least chrstians.

It's an egotisical approach to think we're so special that God elected a few over the majority of humanity, not the Christ I know that loved and died for mankind.. IN the end salvation just becomes more luck than anything.

Hi Ace1234,

I understand more completely the danger sin presents when I consider that most of the world does not have faith in Jesus Christ. I don't know the fate of all who died in the flood, but God only preserved eight people out of what must have been millions or even billions given the longevity of the people at the time.

Genesis 6:5-8
New King James Version (NKJV)
5 Then the Lord[a] saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. 6 And the Lord was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart. 7 So the Lord said, “I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth, both man and beast, creeping thing and birds of the air, for I am sorry that I have made them.†8 But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord.

The wickedness of man described in Genesis 6 is a good description of people today, and just think, God not only destroyed 99% of man with the flood, He also destroyed all of the animals that couldn't adapt to the water. The judgment of God is scary and frightening, but then we begin to understand the holy nature of God and what is good. We understand His love, but do we understand righteousness?

- Davies

The difficulty with that view is this. All of Israel's people were taught to be Gods children. See Deut. 14:1 or Psalm 82:6 for examples. Paul teaches that 'all' of Israel shall be saved in Romans 11:25-32. Why? Because they are 'all' His children, and that includes Judas.
s

Hi smaller,

The Bible doesn't present a repentant Judas, and I tremble at the thought of taking the path of Judas, because I couldn't expect any forgiveness, at least based on what we are given in Scripture. I wouldn't say that everyone who is related to Abraham or Israel will be saved.

Romans 9:6-7
Israel’s Rejection and God’s Purpose

6 But it is not that the word of God has taken no effect. For they are not all Israel who are of Israel, 7 nor are they all children because they are the seed of Abraham; but, “In Isaac your seed shall be called.”[a]

Also, Jesus rebukes the people who claim to have Abraham as their father, even though He acknowledges that they are descendants of Abraham, but tells them their father is the devil, John 8:37-44. It is very possible that Judas is in Hell right now.

- Davies

Hi smaller,

The Bible doesn't present a repentant Judas,

Don't know what text you bothered to check that thought with. Here's the Word fact:

Matthew 27:3
Then Judas, which had betrayed him, when he saw that he was condemned, repented himself, and brought again the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders,

Now, once this fact is pointed out, I've had many a believer try to pin the insufficiency of this repenting, and I'm not interested in getting into a long diatribe about their views on 'correct' and 'official' repenting. The fact is Judas did repent. The fact is that Satan also 'entered' Judas so I have exactly zero reasons to see just Judas. This would be the 'same Satan' who spoke from Peter's lips as well. For some reason believers just want to look at Judas and condemn him, and to look at Peter and not apply the same measure, and to entirely overlook SATAN in the whole of the events. Anyone not factoring in Satan in this matter is logically void of proper judgments as they can't even manage to 'get all the parties' on the table for viewing.

and I tremble at the thought of taking the path of Judas, because I couldn't expect any forgiveness, at least based on what we are given in Scripture. I wouldn't say that everyone who is related to Abraham or Israel will be saved.
I will simply point to the scriptures shown earlier. If you want to condemn any person of Israel, then you must conclude that God burns His own children alive forever in fire. I've had some believers who can take that position without any qualms whatsoever. To me, it does not and can not compute for a myriad of scriptural reasons.

Romans 9:6-7
Israel’s Rejection and God’s Purpose

6 But it is not that the word of God has taken no effect. For they are not all Israel who are of Israel, 7 nor are they all children because they are the seed of Abraham; but, “In Isaac your seed shall be called.”[a]
Again, and I'm not saying this to deride you, but if you bothered to read Romans 11:8, you would see that it was God Himself that put upon the unbelievers of Israel 'a spirit of slumber' so that they could NOT hear, see or believe, and God did so precisely so that WE, as Gentiles would have their benefits extended unto US. So 'what then' was not of Israel??? Well, obviously it is the SPIRIT OF SLUMBER. Hello!

So before you blast off on them, stop and read the conclusion of Paul's teaching and you will see that the enemies of the Gospel as it pertains to the unbelievers of Israel are in fact BELOVED for the sake of their fathers, which same would be Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

Has God then abandoned Israel? May it NEVER be SO! The same super abundant Divine Mercy of God that was meant for them has been shared with ME. I am thankful to the core for having a tiny glimpse of this matter personally.

You might even see that from the mercy we have been extended, that we are to 'share same' with them:

Romans 11:
30 For as ye in times past have not believed God, yet have now obtained mercy through their unbelief:
31 Even so have these also now not believed, that through your mercy they also may obtain mercy.

This extension is not some 'casual' request. It is the very heart of the Gospel! But to those who have no appreciation of the REAL MERCY we have received, they will not be enabled to share same with Israel, or even with others. Shame I say unto such carriers, hiding their 'gift' in ground, in the dust of their dead bodies.

Gods Mercy is going to cover the earth. His Life is to be shared and spread here and now and NOT held back.

Also, Jesus rebukes the people who claim to have Abraham as their father, even though He acknowledges that they are descendants of Abraham, but tells them their father is the devil, John 8:37-44. It is very possible that Judas is in Hell right now.
- Davies
I would say you know little about what you claim. Sorry. You only see Judas. Don't you know it is the 'god of this world' who blinds the minds of the unbelievers?

There is your enemy and the place for you to lay JUDGMENTs, yes even upon yourself.

s

Last edited by a moderator:
salvation isnt luck theres a large coptic underground in iran.

i know a copt who told me that in iran theres a million at least chrstians.

Iran..one million christians, population 75 million, you do the math...

How about China, population 1,339,724,852, about 15 million Christians

India is a lil better, about 24 million Christians, population..1,166,079,217

Still were talking about an average of 2% of the population profess Christianity in nations where government, culture, etc., indoctrinate children from birth to follow the main religion of each nation and most do. As you stated, in many nations it's a small underground movement, not allowed in the open.

Hi Ace1234,

I understand more completely the danger sin presents when I consider that most of the world does not have faith in Jesus Christ. I don't know the fate of all who died in the flood, but God only preserved eight people out of what must have been millions or even billions given the longevity of the people at the time.

Genesis 6:5-8
5 Then the Lord[a] saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. 6 And the Lord was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart. 7 So the Lord said, “I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth, both man and beast, creeping thing and birds of the air, for I am sorry that I have made them.†8 But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord.

The wickedness of man described in Genesis 6 is a good description of people today, and just think, God not only destroyed 99% of man with the flood, He also destroyed all of the animals that couldn't adapt to the water. The judgment of God is scary and frightening, but then we begin to understand the holy nature of God and what is good. We understand His love, but do we understand righteousness?

- Davies

I don't hold that the entire world was flooded in Gens. I think it was a more local flood, but obvious to those there it was their world as they knew it. If you take the literal year of the flood from the bible, then detailed written records exist from 3 of the largest civilizations the year before the flood, year of and year after, with no mention of a flood. I would think they would know about it since they lived in the year of the flood. Also, several flood stories exist that predate the bible account from other tribes, the stories are much the same, just different people, etc...

Iran..one million christians, population 75 million, you do the math...

How about China, population 1,339,724,852, about 15 million Christians

India is a lil better, about 24 million Christians, population..1,166,079,217

Still were talking about an average of 2% of the population profess Christianity in nations where government, culture, etc., indoctrinate children from birth to follow the main religion of each nation and most do. As you stated, in many nations it's a small underground movement, not allowed in the open.

so ? god can work aroung that,he said that few would find the way, and not all are going to be saved. that crushes your universalist thoughts of all faiths have truths which if so then we need to stop bothering with any idea or notion of logic as jesus is a liar. and the apostles lied.

so, god cant work on changing hearts. you do realise that nobody get saved by arguments its by gods lead with words said that men repent. men dont look for god he finds them. you got it backwards

i wasnt in the slightest wanting god in my life , he let my life fall and came to me and told me come and follow me. paul didnt look for god, none of the apostles actually found jesus he found them, the only exception is andrew where he tells philip of what he saw. but that was iniated by jesus

muslims in those countries do come forward. you cant stop god, just ask the roman empire. oh what happened with that.

so i guess we should ban athiesm as they indoctrinate kids in science classes. and or so forth. no body is born and made to be something they dont want to do.

i know far more on cults then you think, i was a jw that is a cult and they do indoctrinate and god while i dodnt know it was taking from that when i went into the army.

I don't hold that the entire world was flooded in Gens. I think it was a more local flood, but obvious to those there it was their world as they knew it. If you take the literal year of the flood from the bible, then detailed written records exist from 3 of the largest civilizations the year before the flood, year of and year after, with no mention of a flood. I would think they would know about it since they lived in the year of the flood. Also, several flood stories exist that predate the bible account from other tribes, the stories are much the same, just different people, etc...

Word is clear about the extent of the killing during the flood.

Genesis 7:23
And every living substance was destroyed which was upon the face of the ground, both man, and cattle, and the creeping things, and the fowl of the heaven; and they were destroyed from the earth: and Noah only remained alive, and they that were with him in the ark.

This was not some 'localized' matter.

s

Hi JMJ,

I don't think you reconciled those verses from James and the various verses I provided. Perhaps you will have to work to keep your justification, but my justification was completed when Jesus said, 'It is finished,' and gave up His Spirit on the cross and then rose again from the dead. My justification was never in my hands, and the role I play in receiving the free gift of eternal life, being born again by repentance and faith in Jesus Christ alone, I don't fear losing my salvation because I have been sealed by the Holy Spirit. Because you say you keep your justification through works, I am concerned you may think you earn a 'second' justification. That is wrong from the understanding I have from reading the Bible. We may have to strongly disagree on this point because I will speak against it where ever I hear it. It was the doctrine of justification that split the Catholic faith from what was deemed Protestantism in the 16th century, and there is no joining with hands with the Catholic church and its Maryology today except for the lukewarm church.

James 2:22 Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made perfect?

Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.

Faith is an action verb. Faith with no good works is a dead faith and it will not save a person.

Galatians 5:6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision avails anything, but faith working through love.

Why was a redeemer necessary for the human race? The following is my understanding:

Adam sinned and lost all possibility of his descendants inheriting eternal life in heaven with God. Jesus came to restore the possibility for Adam's descendants to inherit eternal life. Jesus' death on the cross does not guarantee that all men will inherit eternal life. His death makes it possible for men and women to take advantage of reconciliation with His Father in heaven. Once this reconciliation between an individual person and God is accomplished by the person becoming born again, the person is required to continue in the faith until he dies if he desires to be approved to enter into eternal life. He continues in the faith by obedience to God's commandments.

Some verses in the Bible speak only of the reconciliation requirement for salvation which Jesus' sacrifice provides for us of which we did not earn and cannot earn. But, there are actually two requirements necessary for salvation and for inheriting eternal life.

I will give you an example of both requirements necessary for salvation in the following passage:

Ephesians 2:8-10 8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast. 10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.

First, Jesus Christ saves us as His gift of grace to us. This grace reconciles us to our Father in heaven. This makes it possible for us to enter into eternal life after we die.

For the first requirement, Paul stated :

Romans 10:13 For “whoever calls on the name of the LORD shall be saved.â€

However, in order to be approved to enter into eternal life after we die, we must first do the good works that God has prepared for us to do.

For the second requirement, Jesus stated:

Matthew 7:21 Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven.

Jesus redeemed all mankind by His death on the cross. He FINISHED the Old Covenant with His death on the cross. He finished/completed/fulfilled the Old Covenant and it is no longer in force. His death ratified His New Covenant.

Ephesians 1:13-14 In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise, 14 who is the guarantee of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, to the praise of His glory.

- Davies

Sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise:

What is this promise?

James 1:12 Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him.

Eternal life is promised to all those who love Him.

James 2:5 Listen, my beloved brethren: Has God not chosen the poor of this world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom which He promised to those who love Him?

Who actually loves Him?

John 14:21 He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him.

Born again persons who disobey God's commandments are no longer saved by the blood of Jesus. Hebrews 10:24-27

The Holy Spirit resides in the souls of persons who obey God's commandments. He leaves the souls of persons who defile their souls/temples with sin. If He leaves a person's soul, He is no longer this person's guarantee of salvation and if this person does not repent before he dies, he will not inherit eternal life.

Conclusion: Only the people who continue in the faith by keeping His commandments until they die truly love Him. Only the persons who truly love Him will inherit eternal life.

That is true. That's also why I get a chuckle out of the position of the RCC's infallibility. None of them can say they are definitely saved, but they can then say they stand on infallibility? A severe logical fallacy imho.

Infallibility pertains only to doctrine concerning faith and morals. It does not judge the state of individuals' souls.

Again, anyone who knows their RCC salt knows they have been able to determine exactly zero people 'in hell' and state openly that this is a fact. What is that fact? Zero. I believe their view on this is honest. No, there is no way of determining that matter as a fact. Even some of the 'better' determinist scholars arrive at the identical conclusion.

We do know for a fact that there are many people in hell:

Luke 13:22-27 And He went through the cities and villages, teaching, and journeying toward Jerusalem. 23 Then one said to Him, “Lord, are there few who are saved?â€

And He said to them, 24 “Strive to enter through the narrow gate, for many, I say to you, will seek to enter and will not be able. 25 When once the Master of the house has risen up and shut the door, and you begin to stand outside and knock at the door, saying, ‘Lord, Lord, open for us,’ and He will answer and say to you, ‘I do not know you, where you are from,’ 26 then you will begin to say, ‘We ate and drank in Your presence, and You taught in our streets.’ 27 But He will say, ‘I tell you I do not know you, where you are from. Depart from Me, all you workers of iniquity.’

The RCC says you can hold that there are zero people in hell, or that you can hold that people are in hell. They have an official 'either or' position on this matter.

I've never heard this claim before. I know that there are people in hell.

The 'rich man' is a very rich study. If you knew the 'identity' of this man you would understand both 'who' he is and 'why' he's not getting through heaven's gate. It's quite amazing.

I personally believe that he was a real person. But, he is not the topic of this thread so I will not elaborate. :)

The difficulty with that view is this. All of Israel's people were taught to be Gods children. See Deut. 14:1 or Psalm 82:6 for examples. Paul teaches that 'all' of Israel shall be saved in Romans 11:25-32. Why? Because they are 'all' His children, and that includes Judas.

I disagree with your conclusion about what Paul said. Children are disinherited all the time. The "all" pertains only to the righteous or obedient Israelites in both the Old and New Covenants.

If one thinks Judas is in hell, then one leaps headlong into the position that God burns His own children alive in hell forever. It's not credible imho to take that position. There are many sects within christiandom that are pro-Israel precisely for this reason.

s

Disobedient children are disinherited.

Ephesians 5:5-7 For this you know, that no fornicator, unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God. 6 Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience. 7 Therefore do not be partakers with them.

Disinherited children no longer receive an inheritance. Instead, they receive God's wrath which is eternal hell fire.

Colossians 3:5-7 Therefore put to death your members which are on the earth: fornication, uncleanness, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry. 6 Because of these things the wrath of God is coming upon the sons of disobedience, 7 in which you yourselves once walked when you lived in them.

Well, I'd LOVE to discuss 'theology' matters here with you, but apparently, even though a good portion of these understandings have RCC roots, those matters are off the table.

Not my call.

s

So no one has addressed the issue of why Jesus did not come to save everyone. This is because the term saved is somewhat ambiguous and is generalized as pertaining to escaping everlasting torment in hell. Moreover the term hell is also ambiguous. This question will not be answered adequately because the words ascribed to it do not do it justice.

We know God is a consuming fire yet not the fire we are familiar with, for two men tried to put what was described as a strange fire on the altar and they were consumed. Also the burning bush was a fire that burned yet did not consume the bush. This points to the logical reasoning that the fire of God is the Truth of His incorruptible character and to be tormented is to forever be seeking and yet never coming to the knowledge of that which is Holy. Why? because it must be apprehended by faith.

Consequently it is plausible that God has prepared a government that is everlasting and He has procured it through the everlasting fire of the cross which burns but does not burn, pardon the semantics.

Last edited by a moderator:
James 2:22 Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made perfect?

Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.

Galatians 3:2-3
2 This only I want to learn from you: Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? 3 Are you so foolish? Having begun in the Spirit, are you now being made perfect by the flesh?

Faith is an action verb. Faith with no good works is a dead faith and it will not save a person.

Galatians 5:6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision avails anything, but faith working through love.

I have agreed and will reiterate that works follow faith and may indicate a saving faith, but the work that follows faith has nothing to do with justification, and one can't depend on his own deeds to justify himself or else Jesus' work on the cross and subsequent resurrection would be made void.

However, in order to be approved to enter into eternal life after we die, we must first do the good works that God has prepared for us to do.

I disagree with you. We will be given rewards for our God-approved good works but we will never be rewarded with salvation or justification because of our good works.

Galatians 3:11
11 But that no one is justified by the law in the sight of God is evident, for “the just shall live by faith.”[a]

Romans 3:28
28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith apart from the deeds of the law.

For the second requirement, Jesus stated:

Matthew 7:21 Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven.

Again, I disagree that there is a second condition for our salvation. Matthew 7:21 does not indicate a second condition. We will do the will of the Father if our faith is true. If we practice lawlessness, then we will prove our faith was not genuine or as James puts it, 'faith is dead without works.'

Jesus redeemed all mankind by His death on the cross. He FINISHED the Old Covenant with His death on the cross. He finished/completed/fulfilled the Old Covenant and it is no longer in force. His death ratified His New Covenant.

Jesus did not redeem all mankind by his death on the cross. You even stated earlier that he made redemption possible. Only those who repent and put their trust in Jesus are redeemed. Also, if Jesus fulfilled the law for us, then there is nothing we can do to add to His work. When we come to saving faith, our sins are accounted unto Jesus who paid for them on the cross, and we are given His righteousness which satisfies the requirements for God to allow us into Heaven.

Sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise:

What is this promise?

James 1:12 Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him.

Our approval will be made known to the world when we stand before God in Heaven. Remember He promised us the crown of life. He doesn't make a promise and then take it away when the faith is true. When the faith is not genuine, the promise was never given to that person.

Eternal life is promised to all those who love Him.

James 2:5 Listen, my beloved brethren: Has God not chosen the poor of this world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom which He promised to those who love Him?

Who actually loves Him?

John 14:21 He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him.

Those who keep God's commandments have genuine faith. I agree with this, but we do not earn God's favor by our good deeds.

Born again persons who disobey God's commandments are no longer saved by the blood of Jesus. Hebrews 10:24-27

I disagree with you. A person who practices lawlessness never was born again. You wouldn't tell me you lose your salvation everyday. For you to say you lose your salvation every time you sin is to make light of God's saving power.

The Holy Spirit resides in the souls of persons who obey God's commandments.

How did the Holy Spirit come to reside in you in the first place when every life shows God that he is not righteous. All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.

He leaves the souls of persons who defile their souls/temples with sin. If He leaves a person's soul, He is no longer this person's guarantee of salvation and if this person does not repent before he dies, he will not inherit eternal life.

If we are in Christ, then who can separate us from the love of God? Not God.

Conclusion: Only the people who continue in the faith by keeping His commandments until they die truly love Him. Only the persons who truly love Him will inherit eternal life.

Only those with genuine faith will keep God's commandments and they are the only ones who inherit eternal life, not because of their works.

Galatians 2:16
16 knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law; for by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified.

- Davies

Galatians 3:2-3
2 This only I want to learn from you: Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? 3 Are you so foolish? Having begun in the Spirit, are you now being made perfect by the flesh?

I did no works of the Law of Moses in the Old Covenant in order to be made worthy to become born again. When I was born again under the New Covenant, I received the gift of the Holy Spirit's indwelling in my soul/heart. It is the Spirit who dwells in me who perfects me as I obey His commandments and do the good works assigned to me.

Titus 3:8 This is a faithful saying, and these things I want you to affirm constantly, that those who have believed in God should be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable to men.

Matthew 25:30 And cast the unprofitable servant into the outer darkness. There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’

I have agreed and will reiterate that works follow faith and may indicate a saving faith, but the work that follows faith has nothing to do with justification, and one can't depend on his own deeds to justify himself or else Jesus' work on the cross and subsequent resurrection would be made void.

Men and Women in the Church

1 Timothy 2:8-15 I desire therefore that the men pray everywhere, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting; 9 in like manner also, that the women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with propriety and moderation, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or costly clothing, 10 but, which is proper for women professing godliness, with good works. 11 Let a woman learn in silence with all submission. 12 And I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, but to be in silence. 13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve. 14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression. 15 Nevertheless she will be saved in childbearing if they continue in faith, love, and holiness, with self-control.

1 Timothy 4:16
Take heed to yourself and to the doctrine. Continue in them, for in doing this you will save both yourself and those who hear you.

We must continue in the faith by doing what is required of us in order to continue to save ourselves and those who hear us.

Jude 1:20-23 "But you, beloved, building yourselves up on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit, 21 keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life. 22 And on some have compassion, making a distinction; 23 but others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire, hating even the garment defiled by the flesh.

I disagree with you. We will be given rewards for our God-approved good works but we will never be rewarded with salvation or justification because of our good works.

Galatians 3:11
11 But that no one is justified by the law in the sight of God is evident, for “the just shall live by faith.â€

Romans 3:28
28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith apart from the deeds of the law.

I am under the New Covenant. I am not under the Old Covenant. I cannot possibly be justified by the law of Moses in the Old Covenant. Jesus justified me as His gift to me. He reconciled me to His Father. Now, it is up to me, with His help and the help of His Holy Spirit, to remain in fellowship with His Father until I die if I want to enter into eternal life.

James 1:21-22 Therefore lay aside all filthiness and overflow of wickedness, and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls. 22 But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.

James 2:20 But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead?

If a dead soldier is guarding your house, will he save you from your enemies? Likewise, a dead faith (a faith without good works) will not save you from hell fire.

James 2:24 You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.

Again, I disagree that there is a second condition for our salvation. Matthew 7:21 does not indicate a second condition. We will do the will of the Father if our faith is true. If we practice lawlessness, then we will prove our faith was not genuine or as James puts it, 'faith is dead without works.'

Seed that falls on good soil is seed that does the will of the Father in heaven. The will of the Father in heaven is for us to obey His commandments and to do the good works that He has prepared for us to do.

Matthew 13:18-23 “Therefore hear the parable of the sower: 19 When anyone hears the word of the kingdom, and does not understand it, then the wicked one comes and snatches away what was sown in his heart. This is he who received seed by the wayside. 20 But he who received the seed on stony places, this is he who hears the word and immediately receives it with joy; 21 yet he has no root in himself, but endures only for a while. For when tribulation or persecution arises because of the word, immediately he stumbles. 22 Now he who received seed among the thorns is he who hears the word, and the cares of this world and the deceitfulness of riches choke the word, and he becomes unfruitful. 23 But he who received seed on the good ground is he who hears the word and understands it, who indeed bears fruit and produces: some a hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.â€

Matthew 25:31-46 “When the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the holy angels with Him, then He will sit on the throne of His glory. 32 All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate them one from another, as a shepherd divides his sheep from the goats. 33 And He will set the sheep on His right hand, but the goats on the left. 34 Then the King will say to those on His right hand, ‘Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: 35 for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; 36 I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? 38 When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? 39 Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ 40 And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’

41 “Then He will also say to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels: 42 for I was hungry and you gave Me no food; I was thirsty and you gave Me no drink; 43 I was a stranger and you did not take Me in, naked and you did not clothe Me, sick and in prison and you did not visit Me.’

44 “Then they also will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to You?’ 45 Then He will answer them, saying, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.’ 46 And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.â€

Jesus did not redeem all mankind by his death on the cross. You even stated earlier that he made redemption possible. Only those who repent and put their trust in Jesus are redeemed. Also, if Jesus fulfilled the law for us, then there is nothing we can do to add to His work. When we come to saving faith, our sins are accounted unto Jesus who paid for them on the cross, and we are given His righteousness which satisfies the requirements for God to allow us into Heaven.

Jesus redeemed all mankind because He died as a ransom for all mankind, but not all wo/men will be saved and not all wo/men will enter into eternal life. Only those who become born again have the possibility of entering into eternal life when they die. Born again persons must be faithful until death in order to receive the crown of eternal life.

WIP

1Timothy 4:16 Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers.
(NIV)

FC

Hi FC,

Romans 11:6
6 And if by grace, then it is no longer of works; otherwise grace is no longer grace.[a] But if it is of works, it is no longer grace; otherwise work is no longer work.

- Davies

Continued:
Our approval will be made known to the world when we stand before God in Heaven. Remember He promised us the crown of life. He doesn't make a promise and then take it away when the faith is true. When the faith is not genuine, the promise was never given to that person.

A person who has true faith obeys God’s commandments and so he will receive the crown of eternal life. Persons who do not obey God’s commandments believe in vain that they will receive the crown of eternal life. They won't receive the crown of eternal life.

1 Corinthians 15:1-2 Now I would remind you, brothers of the gospel I preached to you, which you received, in which you stand, 2 and by which you are being saved, if you hold fast to the word I preached to you— unless you believed in vain.

Acts 13:43 And after the meeting of the synagogue broke up, many Jews and devout converts to Judaism followed Paul and Barnabas, who, as they spoke with them, urged them to continue in the grace of God.

2 Corinthians 6:1 Working together with him, then, we appeal to you not to receive the grace of God in vain.

Those who keep God's commandments have genuine faith. I agree with this, but we do not earn God's favor by our good deeds.

Grace is added to our souls when we do good works. All grace comes from God.

2 Corinthians 8:6-8 Accordingly, we urged Titus that as he had started, so he should complete among you this act of grace. 7 But as you excel in everything—in faith, in speech, in knowledge, in all earnestness, and in our love for you— see that you excel in this act of grace also. 8 I say this not as a command, but to prove by the earnestness of others that your love also is genuine.

Ephesians 4:7 But grace was given to each one of us according to the measure of Christ's gift.

2 Peter 3:18 But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.

2 Peter 1:5-9 For this very reason, make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge, 6 and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness, 7 and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love. 8 For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they keep you from being ineffective or unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 For whoever lacks these qualities is so nearsighted that he is blind, having forgotten that he was cleansed from his former sins.

I disagree with you. A person who practices lawlessness never was born again. You wouldn't tell me you lose your salvation everyday. For you to say you lose your salvation every time you sin is to make light of God's saving power.

I do not lose my salvation every time I sin. I do not sin the sins that cause the loss of righteousness. I do not sin mortal (spiritually deadly) sins also called sin leading to death. I do sin venial (not spiritually deadly) sins also called sin not leading death. A person who deliberately does evil (practices lawlessness) loses his sanctifying grace.

Galatians 5:4 You are severed from Christ, you who would be justified by the law; you have fallen away from grace.

A person cannot be severed from Christ unless he was once first joined to Christ. A person falls away (loses his salvation) when he sins mortal sins.

How did the Holy Spirit come to reside in you in the first place when every life shows God that he is not righteous. All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.

At my Baptism, the Holy Spirit came to reside in me. He washed away all my sins, sanctified me by His presence, and it is His presence within my soul that justified/saved me and continues to justify/save me. I was born again when I was baptized.

1 Corinthians 6:11 And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

I was made Jesus Christ’s disciple when I was baptized. The priest called upon the name of the Lord as he poured water over my head. He called upon the name of the Lord God when he said, “I baptize you in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.â€

If we are in Christ, then who can separate us from the love of God? Not God.
We are in Christ only when the Holy Spirit is residing within our souls.

1 John 3:24 Whoever keeps his commandments abides in God, and God in him. And by this we know that he abides in us, by the Spirit whom he has given us.

Only those with genuine faith will keep God's commandments and they are the only ones who inherit eternal life, not because of their works.
- Davies

A person loses his faith when he sins mortal sins. A person remains faithful to God by his continued righteous choices. If he chooses to obey the promptings of the Holy Spirit and resist the devil and therefore not sin, he will remain righteous. If he commits a mortal sin, he did not continue to be faithful to God and he is no longer righteous.

Galatians 6:6-8 Let the one who is taught the word share all good things with the one who teaches. 7 Do not be deceived: God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that will he also reap. 8 For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life.

Romans 6:16 Do you not know that if you present yourselves to anyone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin, which leads to death, or of obedience, which leads to righteousness?

JMJ,

I've already stated my position on what I think the Scriptures say regarding a person's works, and it seems the only thing we agree on is that good works follow after faith, at least those works that God would reward (but not with salvation). But I disagree with almost everything you have said regarding works and baptism. With all my heart, I believe you are wrong, and I hope as we continue to study the Bible, now that it is in the hands of the common man, that we will surrender to what it says in truth.

- Davies

WIP

1Timothy 4:16 Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers.
(NIV)

FC
I sure hope I am not responsible for saving myself for if I am, I am surely doomed. Is it possible that Paul is talking about one's witness? If I watch my doctrine and life closely ergo, follow Jesus, will I not witness the love of Christ to myself as well as others I come into contact with? In so doing, I may be used by God to help save others.

Back