Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Windows 11

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
"Maybe they will figure out how to protect us without forcing people to buy a new computer."

Probably not, Michael. TPM requires hardware advanced enough to handle it, and that hardware rarely appears in computers built before 2020. Additionally, TPM requires a large amount of both CPU and RAM power. Most computers simply can't handle it.

Maybe they will figure out some other way than TPM to protect older computers. MSFT abandoning any computer built before 2020 is pretty intense.

"Maybe they will figure out some other way than TPM to protect older computers. MSFT abandoning any computer built before 2020 is pretty intense."

Fortunately, Michael, it's not that bad. MS will continue to send upgrades, including security updates, until September 2025 (for Windows 10). Ransomware is so complicated that it usually takes a criminal gang to pull it off, and these gangs are going after large systems, not individual users.

So why did MS demand that Windows computers built after 2016 contain a TPM chip they can't use? Perhaps TPM is more complicated than MS realized.

The Control Panel Challenge

Starting with Windows 1, Control Panel was a friendly icon on your desktop. It gave geeks, geek wannabes, and curious people a chance to look inside their computer. And if you had a problem, Control Panel might contain the solution.

But over the decades, Microsoft got frustrated as idiots used Control Panel to mess up their rigs, run up expenses by calling MS technical assistance without telling them what the user had actually done, and costing them sales by bad-mouthing Windows. So they want to get rid of it.

New versions of Windows don't have Control Panel on the desktop. For a while, you could find it along the tops of certain programs, but they got rid of that. And finally, every icon in Control Panel is now a shortcut.

In your search bar, type Control Panel, and make a shortcut on your desktop. But even then, MS gives you different configurations that try to sort and explain thigs so you can't see everything. Choose the classic configuration. Then, if you have a problem, Control Panel might have the solution.

"Settings" began life at the top of Control Panel in Windows 1. It disappeared in Windows 95, and was partially replaced by "System," which had its own icon in Control Panel.

Over the decades, Settings and System have blended. When you press the Settings button in Windows 11, it takes you to System.

System now does what Control Panel used to do, but it forces you to read an explanation before you change something.

Attachments

• Control Panel.png
    Control Panel.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 1
Asus and Asrock have released Bios updates on their websites for THEIR OWN motherboards only. These updates will turn on TPM automatically.

Problems have arisen in which some modern motherboards don't have a TPM chip, but have TPM built in. These two companies claim that their BIOS updates will make those motherboards compatible with Windows 11.

Windows 11 has a recovery mode to use when all else fails. It is designed to use when you can't even get into Windows.

Use the On/Off switch on your computer. Hold it down for ten seconds. Then hold it down for ten seconds to turn off your rig. Do this two more times. After the third time, turn it on, and Windows 11 will take you into Recovery Mode, which will give you some options.

In the olden days you could just put a recovery boot disk into your floppy disk, CD, or DVD-ROM drive and the computer would boot from that. Manufacturers don't put those in many computers nowadays, so I guess the button recovery method is needed.

Critics are angry about MS pushing Edge as the default browser on Windows 11. I have preferred Edge for years, however. I have two other browsers on my Windows 11 Preview Edition, and both of them work fine.

11 gives you a choice of switching browsers automatically for different types of files. This is so confusing that many users simply make Edge their default browser.

My opinion? All of the major browsers work fine.

Microsoft has just released a Windows 11 installation that requires a clean install--you must remove all your programs. The current Preview versions simply upgrade Windows 10 without destroying your other files.

My advice? Don't do it. The new version does not include the controversial TPM security program. I suspect that MS is having major problems with TPM, and 11 is untrustworthy unless those problems are solved.

Windows 11 is a big upgrade from Windows 10, and it's designed to work best on newer, more powerful computers. If you have an older computer, it might not work as well, and you might want to stick with Windows 10.
Suppose you're considering upgrading to Windows 11 but are worried about compatibility issues. In that case, you might want to wait a bit and see how things progress.
Another option is to switch back to Windows 10. You can purchase a Windows 10 key, which you can use to activate Windows 10 on your laptop.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few months ago, a cyber-gang encrypted the computers of a major US gasoline supplier. After weeks of refusal, the company paid the ransom because America's east coast was endangered by a gasoline shortage.

On a happier note, a gang managed to seize about 40 business computers, but the company rapidly fell back onto an alternate plan, with no harm done. But those forty computers would ultimately have affected about 1,000 businesses. And those businesses, with their customers, would have affected almost 1 million computers.

Windows 11 will include Microsoft's painful and controversial defense against these attacks. And painful as it is, I'm on Microsoft's side.
Besides, 11 is superior. I hate to admit it! My previous fav was Win 7...

Back