Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Paul's Thorn

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
These verses show what and where Satan's domain or kingdom is and has restricted access to the presence of God.

John 14:30 Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for the prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in me.
(prince of this world)

Eph 2:2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:
(prince of the power of the air)

Job 1:6 Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them.
Job 1:7 And the LORD said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it.
(restricted access to the throne of God)

Some ask how can Satan be in heaven being he is sinful and the answer is that of Gods sovereign restraint of sin while he is there. In Job 1 Satan stood before God to give account of himself. God initiated the meeting and remained in absolute control of the meeting. In God being in control it limited Satan's power and God was glorified. Satan can only be summoned of God as he does not have open access to the throne of God and his time with God is limited by God. Satan's access is only granted until his final judgement

Was satan summoned to this meeting? Tha'st not how I read it. The angels came and satan was among them. I really don't read much information here and would have to make some assumptions to know that God summoned him or the angels for that matter. Maybe there is other scripture that gives more information about how and when angels can approach God? I don't know.

Your right, Zero scripture that says there is a hedge around anyone. Satan said that, and God never said there was or was not a hedge. I am not one to take Satans word for anything, He is a liar and there is no truth in him. (John 8:44)

Elihu spoke on God's behalf. He was the youngest and he said it's Job's fault. Not God's, not God's choice, not God just doing evil to Job, not God being unfair to Job. Job did it. When Elihu said God would not pervert Judgement, He meant that God would not break his own word and stop Satan. Help was always there if Job would have just humbled himself and asked. Listen to Job.................................

Job 13:15 Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him: but I will maintain mine own ways before him.

though I am being slayed, and blaming God, I am not changing my ways.............. Because I think my ways are good. Not very bright.

A few things to keep in mind. Job not one time ever asked God for help. Not once. He did not know God that way. Job felt he had enough good works to keep evil at bay. Jesus said the flood came for the man who took heed to the Word and for the man that heard the same and did not take heed. In other words, the flood comes, but people get different results by what they give measure to as being important. "Take heed what you hear, for that which he has can be taken." (Jesus)

Write this down, it's a definition that the Lord gave me.

Faith obtains what Grace says is already yours.

Deu 30:19 I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:

So, despite what the Father did, or Jesus did by defeating the devil and taking the keys of death and hell away from him. Despite all those things done already, we have a choice to make.

check it............

Deu 6:3 Hear therefore, O Israel, and observe to do it; that it may be well with thee, and that ye may increase mightily, as the LORD God of thy fathers hath promised thee, in the land that floweth with milk and honey.

God already gave them that promise land, it was already theirs..................

Not one that had the promise got it, and it was theirs.

Not God's fault.............. They came to the edge of that land (Num 13) and even though the land was theirs, they felt there was a giant issue to big for God to handle.

Job's issue was trust, He only knew God not through love, but keeping works and obedience. Job lacked revelation and did not sin, but it still cost him.

Satan drops a thoughts and lies and seeks who to devour. For Job it was cursing God, because in Job's mind, not cursing God and doing good deeds is what made God happy.

It started with Jobs kids, the kids might be cursing God in their heart at those parties, if you curse God Job thinks, then you die. Just in case, Job sacrificed animals every time the kids had a party because Job was in fear of loss.

God is watching the whole thing of course.

Job had two bands of bad guys he was in fear of also. the Sabeans and Chaldeans. Constantly on watch for them.

Job also feared his health, if he got sick, How could he continue to protect the children and keep his stuff.

Satan came and no surprise to God. Satan says if you God hurt Job, He will salute you back and blame you. (Barak, to bless back for action down, Translated Salute also)

God said pay attention stupid (Behold) He is in your power, Job has been taking action to your fear and lies and not my ability to protect him. Don't try to get me to hurt him, it would be without cause and Job has done nothing wrong being a upright man.

Neither give place to the devil.
(Eph 4:27)

Satan tells God that Job will salute or bless him back and blame him for what has happened to him.

And said, Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed "BARAK" be the name of the LORD. In all this Job sinned not, nor charged God foolishly.
(Job 1:21-22)

Job did exactly just that, blamed God for taking away.

For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.
(Rom 11:29)

Notice the Holy Spirit steps in to let us know............. Job did not sin, or foolishly charge God. Job charged God, but did it in a sincere way. Job could have never committed the sin Satan accused him to God about. The false accuser, lying again.

58 times it's written to fear not.
48 times it's written to be not afraid.
be of Good courage, take no thought..................

God's word can never change, and God never changes.

For the thing which I greatly feared is come upon me, and that which I was afraid of is come unto me.
(Job 3:25)

What happened to Job?

I think if we are going to discuss Job in this much detail we should do that in a new thread. If you want to do that I will participate. If you would please do an Deborah13 at the end so I don't miss it or as a reply to me here. Thanks :)

There are three heavens, as per scripture and this can be found in the Nave's references. They are the first heaven, our sky and the second heaven, the universe, and the third Heaven, where God is. I cannot see God the Father and God the Son anywhere but in the third Heaven until the return of the Christ. That places Satan in the Throne Room, visiting, a privilege no other Demon has.

Interesting. Jesus came to Earth several times ( imo ) in the OT and the Holy Spirt seems to visit constantly on Earth atm. Why do you think only satan has access to Yahweh when Job tells us others were there with him ? ie. satan isn't omnipresent so he needs his minions to do work for him.

Was satan summoned to this meeting? Tha'st not how I read it. The angels came and satan was among them. I really don't read much information here and would have to make some assumptions to know that God summoned him or the angels for that matter. Maybe there is other scripture that gives more information about how and when angels can approach God? I don't know.

The angels came and satan was among them

Why do you suggest only "good" Angels were with satan when the subject was accusation of Job ?

I think if we are going to discuss Job in this much detail we should do that in a new thread. If you want to do that I will participate. If you would please do an Deborah13 at the end so I don't miss it or as a reply to me here. Thanks :)
A study of Job?
Theology 101 - 501 of the OT and (if we understand) prophecy about Jesus.

Job IMHO is a treasure trove that can show heresy in thinking (then and still today). Then on the other hand, right theology is in abundance. Of course I am just a Mississippi redneck, and what could I see (?)( if my eyes are opened like Jobs were). I should probably be put on ignore if I post.

Might ought to make it private though, and Reba might be needed. I blush because I have not spent enough time studying Job.

eddif

Why do you suggest only "good" Angels were with satan when the subject was accusation of Job ?

lol, did I say 'good' angels? :wink The scripture doesn't say if they were good or evil.

A study of Job?

Job IMHO is a treasure trove that can show heresy in thinking (then and still today). Then on the other hand, right theology is in abundance. Of course I am just a Mississippi redneck, and what could I see (?)( if my eyes are opened like Jobs were). I should probably be put on ignore if I post.

Might ought to make it private though, and Reba might be needed. I blush because I have not spent enough time studying Job.

eddif

Well, if that thread is started, I hope you will participate, a little anatomy in theology couldn't hurt.

lol, did I say 'good' angels? :wink The scripture doesn't say if they were good or evil.

Ah ok. It's noted the Angels who presented themsleves along with Satan in Job may have been "bad" Angels. ( ie.all Angels may be Sons of God )

Sometimes I think people forget that Satan was also a created angel being and still is a son of God and God calls him before His throne to give an account of himself in Job 1:6, but stands accusing the brethren instead just as he did with Job, Job 1:11; Rev 12:10-12. Satan's access to the heavenly realm was only temporary as after the cross he has been overcome by the blood of the Lamb.

Interesting. Jesus came to Earth several times ( imo ) in the OT and the Holy Spirt seems to visit constantly on Earth atm. Why do you think only satan has access to Yahweh when Job tells us others were there with him ? ie. satan isn't omnipresent so he needs his minions to do work for him.
But, and this is not meant as a stinging comment, your opinion and my opinion do not count. What matter is what the scriptures say and what is there between the lines. The between the lines issues we must pray and submit to the leading of Him that indwells us, the Holy Spirit. Jesus, as I understand, did appear to Abraham a couple of times but we must never confuse the Trinity, Jesus is neither the Father nor is He ever the Holy Spirit, they are three.

You have misunderstood the context of my post. I did not specify that only Satan has access, God is served, continually by His servants on site, the angels. Nor did I mean to suggest that Satan might be omnipresent but he is the chief of the, now, demons that serve his will just as they once did for Father God and they, also, are not omnipresent but must serve their master continually.

Bless your heart Deborah :)

Job is not really about what happened to Job though. It's about when bad things happen to believers. If God woke up in a bad mood or lost his mind a bit on the day Satan came to present himself over Job, and violated his word in many places by giving the devil the go ahead to murder the children and steal the possessions of a man that was obedient to him him. Then my life issues, sickness and tragedy must also not be my fault. It has to be God's, as God just at times lets the devil to come through to make sure I have faith or enough tissue to cry through all the horrible things that are going on.

That is what it's really about, and why people read Job and just immediately say it was God's fault. God gave the devil permission to get Job, though God never one time did.

If we are like David though, who took responsibility for things the enemy brought on him and trusted God, then we read Job different. David came back with the men to Ziklag

So David and his men came to the city, and, behold, it was burned with fire; and their wives, and their sons, and their daughters, were taken captives. Then David and the people that were with him lifted up their voice and wept, until they had no more power to weep.
(1Sa 30:3-4)

David had about the same issue Job did. The enemy came, and the enemy had had taken. Now David like the rest of us broke down and cried, I can imagine they felt no better than Job.

What David did not do is say, "Boys, it's over. The Lord gives and the Lord takes away, blessed be the name of the Lord."

Not David.

And David was greatly distressed; for the people spake of stoning him, because the soul of all the people was grieved, every man for his sons and for his daughters: but David encouraged himself in the LORD his God.
(1Sa 30:6)

And David enquired at the LORD, saying, Shall I pursue after this troop? shall I overtake them? And he answered him, Pursue: for thou shalt surely overtake them, and without fail recover all.
(1Sa 30:8)

That is our God, the one that stands up for us when we stand up, wipe the tears away and tell him we trust him, this is not a issue, what do I do Lord?

Shunammite Women:

And when the child was grown, it fell on a day, that he went out to his father to the reapers. And he said unto his father, My head, my head. And he said to a lad, Carry him to his mother. And when he had taken him, and brought him to his mother, he sat on her knees till noon, and then died. And she went up, and laid him on the bed of the man of God, and shut the door upon him, and went out. And she called unto her husband, and said, Send me, I pray thee, one of the young men, and one of the asses, that I may run to the man of God, and come again. And he said, Wherefore wilt thou go to him to day? it is neither new moon, nor sabbath. And she said, It shall be well.
(2Ki 4:18-23)

This women son had just died, and she laid him on the bed where Elisha had slept when he stayed with them. She is going to go find Elisha, and when Her husband asked, she said................. IT SHALL BE WELL.

So she went and came unto the man of God to mount Carmel. And it came to pass, when the man of God saw her afar off, that he said to Gehazi his servant, Behold, yonder is that Shunammite: Run now, I pray thee, to meet her, and say unto her, Is it well with thee? is it well with thy husband? is it well with the child? And she answered, It is well.
(2Ki 4:25-26)

Even when she gets to the prophet, she calls those things that be not as though they are. Her son is dead, she is there because he is dead, but instead she says, it is well. Despite how she feels inside, she refuses to use her words to side with something she does not want.

And when she came to the man of God to the hill, she caught him by the feet: but Gehazi came near to thrust her away. And the man of God said, Let her alone; for her soul is vexed within her: and the LORD hath hid it from me, and hath not told me. Then she said, Did I desire a son of my lord? did I not say, Do not deceive me? Then he said to Gehazi, Gird up thy loins, and take my staff in thine hand, and go thy way: if thou meet any man, salute him not; and if any salute thee, answer him not again: and lay my staff upon the face of the child. And the mother of the child said, As the LORD liveth, and as thy soul liveth, I will not leave thee. And he arose, and followed her. And Gehazi passed on before them, and laid the staff upon the face of the child; but there was neither voice, nor hearing. Wherefore he went again to meet him, and told him, saying, The child is not awaked. And when Elisha was come into the house, behold, the child was dead, and laid upon his bed. He went in therefore, and shut the door upon them twain, and prayed unto the LORD. And he went up, and lay upon the child, and put his mouth upon his mouth, and his eyes upon his eyes, and his hands upon his hands: and he stretched himself upon the child; and the flesh of the child waxed warm. Then he returned, and walked in the house to and fro; and went up, and stretched himself upon him: and the child sneezed seven times, and the child opened his eyes.
(2Ki 4:27-35)

People don't want to take responsibility for what they believe or their actions. They don't want to be bothered with taking time in the Word and not doing a thing until they get the answer. This is why it ends up being God's fault in the book of Job, when God had nothing to do with what happened to Job. In fact, God was not real happy with Job when he showed up, but God is still good.

What Jesus tell Jarius. Fear not, only believe.

Unfortunately Deborah, I am leaving and won't be around for a Job discussion. If you search through here, you will find me and Stovebolts talking about Job, He had some good ideas on how Job did not know God as love. Unless people are willing to take responsibly for what they believe and who they trust, they won't get Job anyway. People don't always like it black and white or the truth, because to accept truth, that means they have to change. The more complicated and convoluted the doctrine, the more happy they are for who can figure it out?

Been nice talking to you again.

Jesus Is Lord.

A study of Job?

eddif
Eddif,
There can never be an over exposure to the enlightenment of the Holy Spirit and I for one, only place on Ignore, those I wish to avoid fighting silly fights with. Post.

Sometimes I think people forget that Satan was also a created angel being and still is a son of God and God calls him before His throne to give an account of himself in Job 1:6, but stands accusing the brethren instead just as he did with Job, Job 1:11; Rev 12:10-12. Satan's access to the heavenly realm was only temporary as after the cross he has been overcome by the blood of the Lamb.
Thank you, Amen!

Bless your heart Deborah :)

Job is not really about what happened to Job though. It's about when bad things happen to believers. If God woke up in a bad mood or lost his mind a bit on the day Satan came to present himself over Job, and violated his word in many places by giving the devil the go ahead to murder the children and steal the possessions of a man that was obedient to him him. Then my life issues, sickness and tragedy must also not be my fault. It has to be God's, as God just at times lets the devil to come through to make sure I have faith or enough tissue to cry through all the horrible things that are going on.

That is what it's really about, and why people read Job and just immediately say it was God's fault. God gave the devil permission to get Job, though God never one time did.

If we are like David though, who took responsibility for things the enemy brought on him and trusted God, then we read Job different. David came back with the men to Ziklag

So David and his men came to the city, and, behold, it was burned with fire; and their wives, and their sons, and their daughters, were taken captives. Then David and the people that were with him lifted up their voice and wept, until they had no more power to weep.
(1Sa 30:3-4)

David had about the same issue Job did. The enemy came, and the enemy had had taken. Now David like the rest of us broke down and cried, I can imagine they felt no better than Job.

What David did not do is say, "Boys, it's over. The Lord gives and the Lord takes away, blessed be the name of the Lord."

Not David.

And David was greatly distressed; for the people spake of stoning him, because the soul of all the people was grieved, every man for his sons and for his daughters: but David encouraged himself in the LORD his God.
(1Sa 30:6)

And David enquired at the LORD, saying, Shall I pursue after this troop? shall I overtake them? And he answered him, Pursue: for thou shalt surely overtake them, and without fail recover all.
(1Sa 30:8)

That is our God, the one that stands up for us when we stand up, wipe the tears away and tell him we trust him, this is not a issue, what do I do Lord?

Shunammite Women:

And when the child was grown, it fell on a day, that he went out to his father to the reapers. And he said unto his father, My head, my head. And he said to a lad, Carry him to his mother. And when he had taken him, and brought him to his mother, he sat on her knees till noon, and then died. And she went up, and laid him on the bed of the man of God, and shut the door upon him, and went out. And she called unto her husband, and said, Send me, I pray thee, one of the young men, and one of the asses, that I may run to the man of God, and come again. And he said, Wherefore wilt thou go to him to day? it is neither new moon, nor sabbath. And she said, It shall be well.
(2Ki 4:18-23)

This women son had just died, and she laid him on the bed where Elisha had slept when he stayed with them. She is going to go find Elisha, and when Her husband asked, she said................. IT SHALL BE WELL.

So she went and came unto the man of God to mount Carmel. And it came to pass, when the man of God saw her afar off, that he said to Gehazi his servant, Behold, yonder is that Shunammite: Run now, I pray thee, to meet her, and say unto her, Is it well with thee? is it well with thy husband? is it well with the child? And she answered, It is well.
(2Ki 4:25-26)

Even when she gets to the prophet, she calls those things that be not as though they are. Her son is dead, she is there because he is dead, but instead she says, it is well. Despite how she feels inside, she refuses to use her words to side with something she does not want.

And when she came to the man of God to the hill, she caught him by the feet: but Gehazi came near to thrust her away. And the man of God said, Let her alone; for her soul is vexed within her: and the LORD hath hid it from me, and hath not told me. Then she said, Did I desire a son of my lord? did I not say, Do not deceive me? Then he said to Gehazi, Gird up thy loins, and take my staff in thine hand, and go thy way: if thou meet any man, salute him not; and if any salute thee, answer him not again: and lay my staff upon the face of the child. And the mother of the child said, As the LORD liveth, and as thy soul liveth, I will not leave thee. And he arose, and followed her. And Gehazi passed on before them, and laid the staff upon the face of the child; but there was neither voice, nor hearing. Wherefore he went again to meet him, and told him, saying, The child is not awaked. And when Elisha was come into the house, behold, the child was dead, and laid upon his bed. He went in therefore, and shut the door upon them twain, and prayed unto the LORD. And he went up, and lay upon the child, and put his mouth upon his mouth, and his eyes upon his eyes, and his hands upon his hands: and he stretched himself upon the child; and the flesh of the child waxed warm. Then he returned, and walked in the house to and fro; and went up, and stretched himself upon him: and the child sneezed seven times, and the child opened his eyes.
(2Ki 4:27-35)

People don't want to take responsibility for what they believe or their actions. They don't want to be bothered with taking time in the Word and not doing a thing until they get the answer. This is why it ends up being God's fault in the book of Job, when God had nothing to do with what happened to Job. In fact, God was not real happy with Job when he showed up, but God is still good.

What Jesus tell Jarius. Fear not, only believe.

Unfortunately Deborah, I am leaving and won't be around for a Job discussion. If you search through here, you will find me and Stovebolts talking about Job, He had some good ideas on how Job did not know God as love. Unless people are willing to take responsibly for what they believe and who they trust, they won't get Job anyway. People don't always like it black and white or the truth, because to accept truth, that means they have to change. The more complicated and convoluted the doctrine, the more happy they are for who can figure it out?

Been nice talking to you again.

Jesus Is Lord.
Great post, solid theology.

Chopper,
I had never even considered that. I view it as very possible though because of life experiences. I was in the choir when I was first saved because folks say I have a remarkable voice. a couple of people quit b4cause they felt they had no business singing beside or with me??? Wrong! When I was called to aid a young Pastor with a small country assembly he knew of my talent with the guitar and knew of my voice and his music director had just turned in his plan to leave because he had been offered money. I was there to do what ever and took the task until he was called into the mission field and the next man was not God's man and ran me and my family off by attacking my, then, 4 year old granddaughter. At the next Church I and another simi-pro musician and a former retired Blue Grass piano player that played for Bill Monroe among others, did the music.

When I came to Silver Springs they did not have a choir and now that they do I sit down because of the way I have been repeatedly approached. Exaltation is very dangerous when it is not pointed toward God, so I am happy to do fifth Sundays and to teach. It is far to simple for folks to focus in the wrong direction. Then, there is the thing I will never understand, women think I'm cute and I do not like that. I never want anything to come between Deeter and I. And if I am always viewed as clinging to her skirt tail, well, it's an easy defencce, is it not?

Thanks for that my old Buddy. Boy oh boy, if there was anybody who could relate to "being exalted" it would be you my friend. You certainly know how much pain is involved in keeping you humble. That is one of the reasons why I love you, because you have been bashed around by unbelievable pain, and the discomfort and confining effects of being in a wheelchair. You are a true warrior of Jesus and a hero in my book. Yep!! To be exalted above measure would be the norm for you and the Apostle Paul. You because you have a great singing voice being a gift from God, and a "stage charisma" that was liked by many. And Paul for seeing the wonders of God's domain. Whatever the "thorn" must be, it would have to be ably to beat the pride and exaltation out of you and Paul.

Hang in there my dear friend, God's not through with you yet.

Job says before The Lord which is an expression throughout the bible and doesn't necessarily mean in the third heaven, directly in front of God's throne.

Three times in the year all your males shall appear before the Lord God.Exodus 23:17

And you shall rejoice before the Lord your God, you and your sons and your daughters, your male and female servants, and the Levite who is within your gates, since he has no portion nor inheritance with you.
Deuteronomy 12:12

In these scriptures the people were not in the third heaven in directly in front of God's throne.

JLB

Only speaking about Satan here having access to the throne of God before the cross.

Whatever we decide on what the thorn is that Paul experienced, I think the main point in arriving at a definite being, illness or whatever, it would have to qualify in being able to counteract Paul's being exalted above measure. (2 Cor. 12:7) So, I'm saying that "being exalted" is what the thorn has to overcome. So, would bad eyesight qualify? would crippled up because of the beatings? Yea, maybe. See what I mean?

2Co 12:10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

These were the things Satan was buffeting or repeatedly striking Paul with as pretty much being all things that would destroy ones faith if it was weak. Thus the Lord saying "My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness". Same applies to everyone who is in Christ as we all face persecutions in some form or another.

Because God cannot stand evil and I have understood the Spirit to teach me that Satan is the only exception.

I agree with that and here are a couple of scriptures to show God can not look upon iniquity. Satan is the only exception as before the cross he had to give an account before God as in Job 1:6 as he stood accusing Job.

Habakkuk 1:13 Thou art of purer eyes than to behold evil, and canst not look on iniquity: wherefore lookest thou upon them that deal treacherously, and holdest thy tongue when the wicked devoureth the man that is more righteous than he?

Psa 34:16 The face of the LORD is against them that do evil, to cut off the remembrance of them from the earth.

2Co 12:10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

These were the things Satan was buffeting or repeatedly striking Paul with as pretty much being all things that would destroy ones faith if it was weak. Thus the Lord saying "My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness". Same applies to everyone who is in Christ as we all face persecutions in some form or another.
:goodpost

Back