Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

“Full Assurance of Faith” (Hebrews 10:22)

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
How is that possible?
Do you feel you can stop believing in Christ anytime you want?
Then, go ahead, stop believing in Christ and see what happens.
I bet you can't do it.
I believe I couldn't abandon my faith in God.
Even though I don't understand everything very well, I believe He created us out of love and does love us.
I very much like John 6:68. To whom shall we go? Only Jesus has the words of life.

Does this mean that no one can decide they don't want anything to do with God anymore? Maybe a child died, maybe something else - they lose faith, they stop believing.

If this were not so, we wouldn't have free will. Do you believe we have free will? If we have free will, then we should be able to abandon God if we so wish.

W

Here's the issue with those who believe they can lose your salvation.

You already have lost it.

What keeps you saved?
What keeps you saved is the blood of Christ for the forgiveness of sin, accessed and secured by believing in it:

"1Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, wea have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. " (Romans 4:1-2 NASB).

The spirit at work in the Protestant church at this present time says you have that forgiveness even if you reject the faith that accesses it. The distorted reasoning being, that would be works if your justification depended on you having faith to receive it. How ridiculous.

How is that possible?
Do you feel you can stop believing in Christ anytime you want?
Then, go ahead, stop believing in Christ and see what happens.
I bet you can't do it.
My tongue talking wife did.
And I can certainly share what happened as a result, but I'm not going to.

What keeps you saved is the blood of Christ for the forgiveness of sin, accessed and secured by believing in it:

"1Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, wea have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. " (Romans 4:1-2 NASB).

The spirit at work in the Protestant church at this present time says you have that forgiveness even if you reject the faith that accesses it. The distorted reasoning being, that would be works if your justification depended on you having faith to receive it. How ridiculous.
Ephesians 2:8 is so simple. I find it difficult to understand why some don't grasp the meaning:

"For by GRACE you have been saved
through FAITH...".

As you've stated, we are saved by FAITH.

If the faith dissolves, so does salvation.

W

How does one get that out of the passage? Where does it say they were never actually part of God's family?

"19They went out from us, but they were not really of us; for if they had been of us, they would have remained with us; but they went out, so that it would be shown that they all are not of us." (1 John 2:19 NASB italics added by the NASB translators)

And how is that interpretation consistent with his exhortation to his audience 5 verses later, who John himself says are saved, that if they remain, unlike the antichrists have done, they will continue in the Son and the Father?

"23Whoever denies the Son does not have the Father; the one who confesses the Son has the Father also. 24As for you, let that abide in you which you heard from the beginning. If what you heard from the beginning abides in you, you also will abide in the Son and in the Father." (1 John 2:23-24 NASB)

His exhortation to believers to abide in what they heard from the beginning and, thus, abide in the Son and the Father is terribly inconsistent with an interpretation of vs.19 that says only those who never believed to begin with will not remain. Given his exhortation, it's impossible that the passage excludes the possibility of a true believer not remaining in the faith. Or that it can only mean those who did not remain were never 'really' saved to begin with.
Hi JB - Paul accused those who left their fellowship of not only lacking love to others, but also hatred towards them (9-11). Verse 18 begins the discussion concerning the identification of an antichrist, wherein as always the primary evidence is eventually separating themselves from Christians (19); absence of the Spirit (20); lack of knowing truth (21); denial that Jesus was the Messiah (Christ), etc.

What these deceivers departed from was the only thing they had--a false profession--which are those who profess in word only, eventually revealing that their heart was never in it (Isa 29:13; Mat 5:8; Mar 7:6).

Gill: but they were not of us: "they were of the church, and of the same mind with it, at least in profession, antecedent to their going out; for had they not been in communion with the church, they could not be properly said to go out of it; and if they had not been of the same mind and faith in profession, they could not be said to depart from it; but they were not truly regenerated by the grace of God, and so apparently were not of the number, of God's elect: notwithstanding their profession and communion with the church, they were of the world, and not of God; they were not true believers; they had not that anointing which abides, and from which persons are truly denominated Christians, or anointed ones."

Here's the issue with those who believe they can lose your salvation.

You already have lost it.

What keeps you saved?
Hi Cygnus - I believe it stands to reason that whatever the saving source is keeps you saved:
"Holy Father, keep through Thine own name those whom thou hast given Me"
"Kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation"
"Him that is able to keep you from falling" (keep you from wanting to fall - Phl 2:13).
"He is able to keep that which I have committed unto Him"

God encourage us!

Romans 13:11 (LEB) And do this [love one another, v8,9,10] because you know the time, that it is already the hour for you to wake up from sleep. For our salvation is nearer now than when we believed.
Amen, good passage! The completion of our salvation (new bodies) is closer to coming to past!

Blessings

What if I stop believing in Christ?
Am i still saved?
so your turning atheist ? what is the definition of assurance ? http://www.biblestudytools.com/dictionary/assurance/
assurance
ASSU'RANCE, n. ashu'rance. L. verus; or securus, contracted.

1. The act of assuring, or of making a declaration in terms that furnish ground of confidence; as, I trusted to his assurances; or the act of furnishing any ground of full confidence.

Whereof he hath given assurance to all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead. Act. 17.

2. Firm persuasion; full confidence or trust; freedom from doubt; certain expectation; the utmost certainty.

Let us draw near with a true heart, in full assurance of faith. Heb. 10.

3. Firmness of mind; undoubting steadiness; intrepidity.

Brave men meet danger with assurance.

4. Excess of boldness; impudence; as, his assurance is intolerable.

5. Freedom from excessive modesty, timidity or bashfulness; laudable confidence.

Conversation with the world will give them knowledge and assurance.

6. Insurance; a contract to make good a loss. See Insurance.

7. Any writing or legal evidence of the conveyance of property.

8. Conviction.

9. In theology, full confidence of one's interest in Christ, and of final salvation.

it is you all who is turning this into a osas debate .

since you seem to be holding the correct teaching do tell us who is correct? i have yet to see where me or any one else has said doctrine saves..... do you have plans in the near future of falling away and no longer being saved? your gnat straining ... what does it mean to you when paul says there are many members in the body of Christ example one might be part of the eye or finger or feet . this is like beating a dead horse . if you can prove %100 that you have the correct doctrine. then i will in return post a retraction of all my post. this is how i have studied and do believe. i dont expect any one else to believe that way..not even my family. when paul said work out your own salvation that exactly what he means work it out.

my wife and i recently came back from Eureka springs Arkansas. where they have a Bible museum history of the Bible. . a holy land tour with a tabernacle in the wilderness. we attended a teaching on the tabernacle . a 89 year old man was teaching we talked about how the high priest went into the holy of hollies once a year actually be correct twice. once for him self and next for the congregation. i tradition has been taught they would tie a rope around his ankle in case he died. no place in history has the high priest ever died in the tabernacle. nor is there any thing in scripture that says they used a rope around his ankle.
here is my point we discussed this wed night no body agreed with us. so we just dropped . yes i feel we are right as i have studied out for me.
i am not going to jump up and down say your wrong wrong wrong. its ok to disagree
still waiting on the person to say they have the correct doctrine. i say i have the correct doctrine for MY PERSONAL BELIEF

"Kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation"
"Him that is able to keep you from falling" (keep you from wanting to fall - Phl 2:13).
"He is able to keep that which I have committed unto Him"
Some one explain these scriptures { Kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation"}

Why don't you try it.
I bet you can't.
I presently have strong faith. That hardly means everyone else does and can resist the temptation to forsake the gospel. You need to tempt another soul......one less stable, less rooted in their faith. You know, a second type of soil person:

"13“Those on the rocky soil are those who, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no firm root; they believe for a while, and in time of temptation fall away." (Luke 8:13 NASB)

Last edited:
Some one explain these scriptures { Kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation"}
"THROUGH FAITH" (1 Peter 1:5 NASB)
I've been arguing this for months now.

This eliminates the hyper-grace version of OSAS altogether that says you don't still have to have faith to still have the power of God unto the day of salvation that is coming.

As for traditional OSAS, it can't prove that the one who believes can never stop believing, while non-OSAS has loads of scripture warning believers to not stop believing but to persevere to the very end.

still waiting on the person to say they have the correct doctrine. i say i have the correct doctrine for MY PERSONAL BELIEF
Good grief. Why are people so afraid to be sure of what the Bible plainly says? Who can't read the plain words of scripture?

"1Now I make known to you, brethren, the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received, in which also you stand, 2by which also you are saved, if you hold fast the word which I preached to you, unless you believed in vain." (1 Corinthians 15:1-2 NASB)

Are you that way with the gospel message of Jesus? Do you say it's right for your personal belief but the rest of us have to believe what's right for us?

Amen, good passage! The completion of our salvation (new bodies) is closer to coming to past!

Blessings
....as long as you keep believing.
Stop believing and you no longer have anything to look forward to but the wrath of God reserved for his enemies:

"29How much severer punishment do you think he will deserve who has trampled under foot the Son of God, and has regarded as unclean the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has insulted the Spirit of grace? 30For we know Him who said, “VENGEANCE IS MINE, I WILL REPAY.” And again, “THE LORD WILL JUDGE HIS PEOPLE.” 31It is a terrifying thing to fall into the hands of the living God." (Hebrews 10:29-31 NASB capitals in original)

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back