Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

2 Cor 1:22 and 5:5; what is coming?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
No, I do go to church.

I don't go to that church.

I do agree that there is an amazing amount of ignorance among the "faithful". Dreadfully so.

Yes, for the day of redemption.

The problem is the depth of ignorance about spirituality and growth (or lack thereof). How many believers understand what grieving or quenching the Holy Spirit means, and what it means and what the filling of the Holy Spirit means (and how to be filled). I'm guessing not very many.
That depth of ignorance grows into easy targets for the Tempterv and they end up in the Juke joints looking for a thrill. At first they repent of it on Sunday Morning at the Alter but after a time it grows weiry of always going forward and everyone seeing them. And, not every one of them, but the bulk will drift away from the Church for, they think, awhile. But they are never checked on and their hearts grow cold. Were they ever saved? I don't know and I can't say but judging the fruit, as I am commanded to do, their fruits are rotten and smells just as bad as mine did before I was saved,

Let's look at Ephesians 4:30 and the context, rather than just isolate one verse.

30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. 31 Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice. 32 And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you.
Therefore be imitators of God as dear children. 2 And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma.

3 But fornication and all uncleanness or covetousness, let it not even be named among you, as is fitting for saints; 4 neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks. 5 For this you know, that no fornicator, unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God. 6 Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience. 7 Therefore do not be partakers with them.
Ephesians 4:30-5:7

Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience.
Therefore do not be partakers with them.

• The same wrath of God, Paul warns the Romans about.

God, who “will render to each one according to his deeds”: eternal life to those who by patient continuance in doing good seek for glory, honor, and immortality; 8 but to those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness—indignation and wrath,
Romans 2:6-8

• Here is who will receive eternal life:
eternal life to those who by patient continuance in doing good seek for glory, honor, and immortality

• Here is who will receive the wrath of God:
those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness—indignation and wrath,

Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience.

This warning is to Christians, not to be deceived with empty words, so that when the Day of Judgement comes, they will not be partakers of God's wrath along with the sons of disobedience.

God's people are destroyed for a lack of knowledge, because they reject knowledge and truth, God will reject them.

“There is no truth or mercy
Or knowledge of God in the land.
2 By swearing and lying,
Killing and stealing and committing adultery,
They break all restraint,
With bloodshed upon bloodshed.
3 Therefore the land will mourn;
And everyone who dwells there will waste away
With the beasts of the field
And the birds of the air;
Even the fish of the sea will be taken away.

4 “Now let no man contend, or rebuke another;
For your people are like those who contend with the priest.
5 Therefore you shall stumble in the day;
The prophet also shall stumble with you in the night;
And I will destroy your mother.
6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge.
Because you have rejected knowledge,

I also will reject you from being priest for Me;
Because you have forgotten the law of your God,
I also will forget your children.
Hosea 4:1-6

God loves us and sent His Son to die for us.

Those who repent and believe the Gospel, and forgiven and cleansed of their past sins.
Those who believe and are baptized will be saved, those who stumble and fall will be forgiven if they repent.

Those who are given the Holy Spirit, and return to the filth of their old life from which they were redeemed, not with silver or gold, but with the precious blood of Jesus, and die in their sins... it would have been better if they never knew they way of righteousness, then having known it, and returned to the pollutions of the world.

20 For if, after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and overcome, the latter end is worse for them than the beginning. 21 For it would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than having known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered to them. 22 But it has happened to them according to the true proverb: “A dog returns to his own vomit,” and, “a sow, having washed, to her wallowing in the mire.” 2 Peter 2:20-22

JLB
Whats interesting is in that one verse(Ephesians 4:30), even if you do not add the context to it, you clearly see that "what is coming" is our redemption. Which is what the OP is all about - what is coming.

Yet that fact is glossed over for putting more emphasis on other singular words - which are then misunderstood.

What I truly struggle with is if this is intentional or just innocent. I suppose it should not matter to me, either way, because my responsibility is my own. I try to always see it as innocent.

That depth of ignorance grows into easy targets for the Tempterv and they end up in the Juke joints looking for a thrill. At first they repent of it on Sunday Morning at the Alter but after a time it grows weiry of always going forward and everyone seeing them. And, not every one of them, but the bulk will drift away from the Church for, they think, awhile. But they are never checked on and their hearts grow cold. Were they ever saved? I don't know and I can't say but judging the fruit, as I am commanded to do, their fruits are rotten and smells just as bad as mine did before I was saved,

I've never understood the 'altar' in a church building. Always gave me a bad feeling.

I've never understood the 'altar' in a church building. Always gave me a bad feeling.
I agree, God is with me any and everywhere I go and He sees and heres when and if I repent or not. But the Altar is one of those Traditions of Man that we are warned against.

Whats interesting is in that one verse(Ephesians 4:30), even if you do not add the context to it, you clearly see that "what is coming" is our redemption. Which is what the OP is all about - what is coming.

Yet that fact is glossed over for putting more emphasis on other singular words - which are then misunderstood.

What I truly struggle with is if this is intentional or just innocent. I suppose it should not matter to me, either way, because my responsibility is my own. I try to always see it as innocent.

You know it's intentional and willful, when the obvious is denied, which is the Coming of the Lord and the resurrection, and the Judgement of God's people.

Freegrace willfully attempted to explain this away, claiming this was not the case.

• Paul warns us of these type of people:

3 But fornication and all uncleanness or covetousness, let it not even be named among you, as is fitting for saints; 4 neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks. 5 For this you know, that no fornicator, unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God. 6 Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience. 7 Therefore do not be partakers with them.
Ephesians 5:3-7

Empty words that are not biblical.
Empty words that explain away the the truth.
Empty words of no value.
Empty words meant to deceive.

How could anyone possible miss the crystal clear, unblemished warning from the Holy Spirit who loves us dearly, and wants no person to lose their eternal soul.

Please read these unmistakable words of warning.

• Do not partake of God's wrath, along with the sons of disobedience.
  • Paul warning the Church, not to end up partaking of God's wrath, with them.

It couldn't be anymore clear.

The only way a person could miss the warning here, is if he has been deceived with empty words.

JLB

Here is a glimpse of what is coming on that Day.

31 “When the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the holy angels with Him, then He will sit on the throne of His glory. 32 All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate them one from another, as a shepherd divides his sheep from the goats. 33 And He will set the sheep on His right hand, but the goats on the left.

34 Then the King will say to those on His right hand, ‘Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: 35 for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; 36 I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? 38 When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? 39 Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ 40 And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’

41 “Then He will also say to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels:42 for I was hungry and you gave Me no food; I was thirsty and you gave Me no drink; 43 I was a stranger and you did not take Me in, naked and you did not clothe Me, sick and in prison and you did not visit Me.’

44 “Then they also will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to You?’ 45 Then He will answer them, saying, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.’ 46 And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”
Matthew 25:31-46

All of those gathered before Him, are "His servants", not unbelievers.

JLB

You know it's intentional and willful, when the obvious is denied, which is the Coming of the Lord and the resurrection, and the Judgement of God's people.

Freegrace willfully attempted to explain this away, claiming this was not the case.

• Paul warns us of these type of people:

Ephesians 5:3-7

Empty words that are not biblical.
Empty words that explain away the the truth.
Empty words of no value.
Empty words meant to deceive.

How could anyone possible miss the crystal clear, unblemished warning from the Holy Spirit who loves us dearly, and wants no person to lose their eternal soul.

Please read these unmistakable words of warning.

• Do not partake of God's wrath, along with the sons of disobedience.
  • Paul warning the Church, not to end up partaking of God's wrath, with them.

It couldn't be anymore clear.

The only way a person could miss the warning here, is if he has been deceived with empty words.

JLB
I agree that we should not be deceived by them, nor partake with them - but if they are blinded it does not mean they might not receive sight. Maybe not, and we should not let false teaching be left unchecked, but I have to believe God is in control and hope for the best.

I thought about this very thing last night and into this morning. There are three things Paul talks about - faith, hope, and love - and Paul said the greatest of these is love. Its love to correct false teaching, but it is also love to desire the one who is blind to see.

but I have to believe God is in control and hope for the best.

God is in control and He has given the responsibility of preaching and teaching the truth to His people.

If we don't stand up for those who come here seeking the truth, then who will?

JLB

God is in control and He has given the responsibility of preaching and teaching the truth to His people.

JLB

I agree, we should. No doubt in my mind. I'm not saying your not doing it in love, I am just saying it must be done in love.

I just had that placed on my heart heavily and needed to share.

I agree, we should. No doubt in my mind. I'm not saying your not doing it in love, I am just saying it must be done in love.

I just had that placed on my heart heavily and needed to share.

Do you think Paul was not conveying this truth in love when he wrote these words, that I quoted?

Here is what love, [faith working by love], looks like from the scriptures:

Then the King will say to those on His right hand, ‘Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
for I was hungry and you gave Me food;
I was thirsty and you gave Me drink;
I was a stranger and you took Me in;
I was naked and you clothed Me;
I was sick and you visited Me;
I was in prison and you came to Me.’
Matthew 25:34-36

On the other hand, here is what faith, without the works or action of love, looks like:

“Then He will also say to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels:
for I was hungry and you gave Me no food;
I was thirsty and you gave Me no drink;
I was a stranger and you did not take Me in,
naked and you did not clothe Me,
sick and in prison and you did not visit Me.’
Matthew 25:41-43

Also, here is what biblical love looks like:

19 Brethren, if anyone among you wanders from the truth, and someone turns him back, 20 let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save a soul from death and cover a multitude of sins. James 5:19-20

Did you realize that a brother, a Christian believer, who wanders from the truth, is considered as a sinner again?

Jesus says they are lost. A condition that pertains to those who are sinners, without God; Dead to God.

4 “What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he loses one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the wilderness, and go after the one which is lost until he finds it? 5 And when he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing. 6 And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and neighbors, saying to them, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep which was lost!’ 7 I say to you that likewise there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine just persons who need no repentance. Luke 15:4-7

Probably the best post in this entire thread, the one that presents a very real scenario we have today, comes from Bill Taylor.

That depth of ignorance grows into easy targets for the Tempter and they end up in the Juke joints looking for a thrill. At first they repent of it on Sunday Morning at the Alter but after a time it grows weiry of always going forward and everyone seeing them. And, not every one of them, but the bulk will drift away from the Church for, they think, awhile. But they are never checked on and their hearts grow cold. Were they ever saved? I don't know and I can't say but judging the fruit, as I am commanded to do, their fruits are rotten and smells just as bad as mine did before I was saved,

It's not so much the sin, but it's what sin does to a person after a while.

It overcomes.

It continues to entangle us until it overcomes us... until we are so weary we just give up and drift away from the Lord, living in open sin, having cast off all restraint.

Stop believing, and thereby stop receiving the forgiveness of sins, having no desire to repent.

• While they promise them liberty, they themselves are slaves of corruption; for by whom a person is overcome, by him also he is brought into bondage. For if, after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and overcome, the latter end is worse for them than the beginning. 2 Peter 2:19-20

We are either overcome and brought back into bondage, or we overcome.
  • Who is he who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God? 1 John 5:5
  • 7 He who overcomes shall inherit all things,and I will be his God and he shall be My son. 8 But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.” Revelation 21:7-8
JLB

It's not so much the sin, but it's what sin does to a person after a while.

It overcomes.

It continues to entangle us until it overcomes us... until we are so weary we just give up and drift away from the Lord, living in open sin, having cast off all restraint.

Stop believing, and thereby stop receiving the forgiveness of sins, having no desire to repent.

• While they promise them liberty, they themselves are slaves of corruption; for by whom a person is overcome, by him also he is brought into bondage. For if, after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and overcome, the latter end is worse for them than the beginning. 2 Peter 2:19-20

We are either overcome and brought back into bondage, or we overcome.
  • Who is he who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God? 1 John 5:5
  • 7 He who overcomes shall inherit all things,and I will be his God and he shall be My son. 8 But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.” Revelation 21:7-8
JLB
Amen!

Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
We disagree. John 15 is about the need to be in fellowship in order to bear fruit. Simple as that. It has nothing to do with losing salvation.
That is illogical. You've turned that verse around backwards.
"He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit," (Jhn 15:2a)
Those branches that bear no fruit are already in fellowship with Christ.
They are cut off because, even though they were in fellowship with Christ, they bore no fruit.

Eternal life is only had by being "in Christ." (Jhn 1:4; Rom 6:23; 1Co 15:22)
If anyone is cut off from Christ, he is cut off from eternal life.
That's why those people (branches) that do not remain in Christ (the vine) whither and die and are gathered up and thrown in the fire. (Jhn 15:6)
The fire is hell. (Mat 25:41)
Simple as that.
If it did, Jesus sorely misspoke in John 10:28 where He promised that those He gives eternal life will never perish.
Those to whom He gives eternal life will never parish.
No one can snatch them out of His hand.
That doesn't negate what John 15:2 and 15:6 say.
It does not say that God cannot cast out from eternal life those who do not produce fruit.
Not on OTHER THAN God can snatch anyone out of His hand.
That doesn't say anything about what God can and cannot do.

Again, rather than taking a "proof text" from here and another from there to support you view, take the entirety of scripture into consideration without trying to make a verse say what it does not at all say as you just did with John 15:2.

iakov the fool
(beaucoup dien cai dau)

DISCLAIMER: By reading the words posted above, you have made a free will choice to expose yourself to the rantings of iakov the fool. The poster assumes no responsibility for any temporary, permanent or otherwise annoying manifestations of cognitive dysfunction that, in any manner, may allegedly be related to the reader’s deliberate act by which he/she has knowingly allowed the above rantings to enter into his/her consciousness. No warrantee is expressed or implied. Individual mileage may vary. And, no, I don't want to hear about it. No sniveling! Enjoy the rest of your life here and the eternal one to come.

I see. You have to look at the full definition in order to grasp it. #646 is the same word as #647, except #646 is the feminine of #647 which is a neuter noun. #647 is the word used for "divorce" in the Bible.

I am not a greek expert, but the way it reads, #647 is the 'bill' of divorce, and #646 is the actual leaving or action that the divorce entails.
Again, none of my interlinears and lexicons mention anything about divorce for either word.

I said this:
"But anyone who can show that these verses DON'T teach or support eternal security are free to proceed.
Eph 1:13,14, 4:30
2 Cor 1:22, 5:5

One thing is sure: they teach something. What do they teach?"
They teach this;

Heb 12:15-17
See to it that no one fails to obtain the grace of God; that no “root of bitterness” springs up and causes trouble, and by it many become defiled;
that no one is sexually immoral or unholy like Esau, who sold his birthright for a single meal.
For you know that afterward, when he desired to inherit the blessing, he was rejected, for he found no chance to repent, though he sought it with tears.

They are teaching us that we have a birthright now, we have a seal on adoption papers, we have a guarantee of God's purchase of us - hold on to that by faith and don't let go. Its a sure thing and when the time comes everything will be finalized - that is - at His coming.
I see nothing in Heb 12:15-17 that is similar to any of the verses on the sealing with the Holy Spirit. And there are no "adoption papers" in either set of verses.

And certainly nothing about "holding on to that "purchase of God" and don't let it go".

We clearly read the verses quite differently.

I said this:
"But anyone who can show that these verses DON'T teach or support eternal security are free to proceed.
Eph 1:13,14, 4:30
2 Cor 1:22, 5:5

One thing is sure: they teach something. What do they teach?"
They teach that those who "believe" have the hope of eternal life, as we will all stand before the Lord on the Day of Judgement.
I don't equate "hoping" for something with the GUARANTEE of something. Not even close.

The seal of approval is given to those who believe.

13 In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise, 14 who is the guarantee of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, to the praise of His glory. Ephesians 1:13-14
I don't see anything about a "seal of approval" in the verses. I do read of the sealing with the Holy Spirit, who is a deposit, or guarantee for the day of redemption.

Those who believe for a while, then return to unbelieving, are promised the fires of hell.
And I certainly don't see anything like a promise of the "fires of hell" in any of the verses on the sealing with the Holy Spirit.

In fact, I see a GUARANTEE for the day of redemption, which is quite the opposite of going to hell.

7 He who overcomes shall inherit all things,and I will be his God and he shall be My son. 8 But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.” Revelation 21:7-8
This is a description of various kinds of unbelievers. And the Bible uses "unbeliever" to describe someone who has never believed.

Let's look at Ephesians 4:30 and the context, rather than just isolate one verse.

30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. 31 Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice. 32 And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you.
Therefore be imitators of God as dear children. 2 And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma.

Ephesians 4:30-5:7
OK. Nice passage. But where is an analysis or explanation of what the passage means? And how does the "context" change anything I've explained about Eph 4:30? Nothing has been shown otherwise.

God, who “will render to each one according to his deeds”: eternal life to those who by patient continuance in doing good seek for glory, honor, and immortality; 8 but to those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness—indignation and wrath,
Romans 2:6-8
I refer you to Rom 3:9, 20 and 23 for proper understanding of 2:6-8. iow, no one will ever earn eternal life "by patient continuance in doing good". Because all have sinned.

I explained nothing "away". I provided a full explanation. I stand by my explanation.

There are no such verses or warnings. In fact, Eph 1:13,14, 4:30 and 2 Cor 1:22 and 5:5 are promises FOR the day of redemption.

JLB
The truth is what Jesus said about those He gives eternal life: they WILL NEVER PERISH.
John 10:28 - I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand.

iow, they WILL NEVER PERISH because they have been given eternal life.

Which agrees completely with what Paul taught: the gift of God is eternal life in Rom 6:23 and in 11:29, the gifts of God are irrevocable.

I said this:
"We disagree. John 15 is about the need to be in fellowship in order to bear fruit. Simple as that. It has nothing to do with losing salvation."
That is illogical.
I don't see it. Please explain how it is illogical.

You've turned that verse around backwards.
I don't agree. Please explain how I've turned it around backwards.

"He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit," (Jhn 15:2a)
Those branches that bear no fruit are already in fellowship with Christ.[/QUTOE]
No, they aren't. Jesus' whole point was that one must be in fellowship with Him in order to bear fruit. I can't make anyone see what is there, but that's what He was teaching.

They are cut off because, even though they were in fellowship with Christ, they bore no fruit.
It seems you've confused relationship with fellowship. Fellowship refers to the state of the relationship.

Eternal life is only had by being "in Christ." (Jhn 1:4; Rom 6:23; 1Co 15:22)
If anyone is cut off from Christ, he is cut off from eternal life.
That's why those people (branches) that do not remain in Christ (the vine) whither and die and are gathered up and thrown in the fire. (Jhn 15:6)
The fire is hell. (Mat 25:41)
Simple as that.
The conclusion here is simply a huge assumption, since there are no verses about losing eternal life.

Those to whom He gives eternal life will never parish.
There are no conditions for never perishing after being given the gift of eternal life. Never perishing is based solely on receiving the gift.

No one can snatch them out of His hand.
"No one" means "no person". A believer is a person. Even the believer is unable to remove themself from His hand.

That doesn't negate what John 15:2 and 15:6 say.
Wasn't designed to.

It does not say that God cannot cast out from eternal life those who do not produce fruit.
It does NOT say that God can or will send to hell those who don't produce.

Not on OTHER THAN God can snatch anyone out of His hand.
That doesn't say anything about what God can and cannot do.
Please provide any verse that says that He will or has.

The OP is about verses that guarantee the believer will see the day of redemption, based on being sealed with the Holy Spirit.

If one's salvation could be lost, there MUST be at least one clear verse on losing the indwelling Holy Spirit for that to happen.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back