Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

25 quotes on Calvinism

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Of course faith is a gift.
Salvation is a gift.
God's grace is a gift.

Ephesians 2:8 is gifts given to us by God.

The questions becomes::::::::
WHO can enjoy these gifts?

Perhaps, if we follow Ephesians 2:8 we can say that it is those that ACCEPT this free gift of faith, salvation and grace?

You trust what the bible says.
Good.

The bible was written (or I should say, assembled) in the 4th century.
NO IDEA such as calvinism was EVER taught up until that time and after that time except for one Catholic whose, BTW, teaching is not adhered to by the Catholic church of TODAY or EVER.

Stop and wonder why.
You still like Calvinist preachers, fine,,,,
but don't tell every other Christian that does not agree with you that THEY are wrong.

ONLY Calvinists believe in Calvinism.
No other denomination agrees with Calvinism.

I'd stop and ponder this.
Who did I say was wrong?

Please look at the posts of other members that tell me I am wrong.

Calvinism (TULIP) is taught throughout the whole Bible.

The Gospel of John is all about TULIP

I believe TULIP before I new it was Calvinism.

What is wrong with giving God 100% glory for salvation?

Why does man have to have some hand in salvation?

I do not see this in the Bible.
I'll be happy to show you but not now...

Fastfredy0

John 3:16 ...that whosoever believes ..... all sides agree that "whosoever believes" is saved. The verse does NOT answer the question: what caused a person to believe. Verses like John 6:29 and 1 Corinthians 4:7 answer that question.

Grace does, Grace causes a person to believe Acts 18:27

And when he was disposed to pass into Achaia, the brethren wrote, exhorting the disciples to receive him: who, when he had come, helped them much who had believed through grace.

Sovereign Grace makes the difference and its not of ourselves.

Tulip Truths are the Gospel of Gods Grace, people call the Truth calvinsim as a scoffing measure. The truth is evil spoken of 2 Pet 2:2

2 And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.

TULIP, as you well know, is an acronym.
NONE of the concepts of TULIP were believed in the early church...the church that believed what Jesus taught.

If you could name just one, I'd be happy to discuss it.

Impossible.
TULIP (the concepts) did not exist at the time of John and did not exist until after 1,500AD.

Salvation belongs to God....100%
Living a Christian life, which is known as being part of the Kingdom of God, which Jesus preached throughout His ministry, and you can begin by reading Matthew 5, 6 and 7...The Sermon on the Mount.

Because God preached to man.
Because God revealed Himself to man...so that man could know how to have a relationship with God.
Because God taught us how He expects us to behave. If I have to behave a certain way, it means I take part in my salvation.
God expects to be obeyed. IF I do NOT behave as He expects me to, do you suppose He'll just accept me anyway?

This is what John teaches:

If we believe AND OBEY we are saved,
If we do not obey we are lost.
John 3:36
36“He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.”

Many things were written so that we may BELIEVE that Jesus will save us.
By BELIEVING we will have life.
John 20:30-31
30Therefore many other signs Jesus also performed in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book;
31but these have been written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name.

What does BELIEVE mean?
It means to
ADHERE TO
FOLLOW
OBEY
LISTEN TO
RESPECT
TO TRUST
TO CLING TO

This is what Jesus taught about obeying His COMMANDS:
What is the fruit? Jesus says that apart from Him we can do nothing....like what?
John 15:5
5“I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing.

Jesus expects us to do good works:
John 5:28-29
28“Do not marvel at this; for an hour is coming, in which all who are in the tombs will hear His voice,
29and will come forth; those who did the good deeds to a resurrection of life, those who committed the evil deeds to a resurrection of judgment.

I don't know what you do not see in the bible....

Who did I say was wrong?

Please look at the posts of other members that tell me I am wrong.
Sorry Elected....could you be more specific?

As to other members telling you you're wrong....
This breaks TOS rules.
This is happening because the TOS rules are not being enforced.

All of scripture is ONLY about works.
You still don't get it. Both sides, (1) Reform side and (2) the R.C./free will/arminian side, think we are saved by the work we do called 'faith'. The difference is that the Reform side believes God causes one to do the work and the other side thinks their faith is self determined. (Aside: I know you don't know what "free will" means as when asked you always come up with an incomplete answer so you probably are lost as to what I am saying).

You also do not articulate well. Example: You said everything Calvinists believe is wrong. Since Calvinists believe there is a God and you believe Calvinists are always incorrect one would conclude using simple logic you don't believe in God. As this is contrary to a vast majority of your posts it must be due to poor communication skills.

It must just be very scary to some and they must feel like they can't behave...
CHEAP GRACE
CHEAP
Your statement is confusing. You probably can't/won't define "cheap grace" so there's no sense trying to expand your probable faulty doctrine.

Aside: Why is it you won't identify what denomination you belong to??????

Jesus died on that cross so those like some here could THINK that they don't have to do ANYTHING to be saved.
You're confused. Investigate cause and effect to establish what the reformed side thinks. I know you will still be confused, but that is the source of your confusion. Think ... who is the cause and who is effected.

Jesus died on that cross so those like some here could THINK that they don't have to do ANYTHING to be saved.
Well, He did HIS part,,,
now we must do ours.

BELIEVE
OBEY
Wrong/confused again. We don't "obey" to be saved. That is contrary to scripture. That's works salvation.
Obedience is the result (effect) of saving faith, not the cause. This concept is confusing you.

When it comes to faith that saves it is the work of God. John 6:29 Jesus answered, “This is the work of God: that you believe [adhere to, trust in, rely on, and have faith] in the One whom He has sent.”
See, God does the work. I'll try to keep it simple for you. Think of a carpenter with a hammer making a box. The carpenter and hammer do WORK, but the cause of the construction is completely that of the carpenter. Analogously, God (carpenter) causes a person (hammer) to have faith (box).
Warning: Galatians is all about people believing in works for salvation and Paul says: Gal. 5:4 You have been severed from Christ, if you seek to be justified [that is, declared free of the guilt of sin and its penalty, and placed in right standing with God] through the Law; you have fallen from grace [for you have lost your grasp on God’s unmerited favor and blessing].
So, stop believing in works; stop believing you did something to merit your salvation. Stop boasting that your salvation is a partial result of what you do independent of God. 1 Corinthians 4:7 "Who maketh thee to differ from another? And what hast thou that thou didst not receive? Now if thou didst receive it, why dost thou glory, as if thou hadst not received it?".

Happy predestination (or is it "good luck") *giggle*

When you decide to speak to me with some
semblance of respect, WHICH IS REQUIRED on cf.net, I will respond to you.
The definition of RESPECT is: a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements.
Respect must be earned. Thus, no need to respond.

brightfame52 .... why do you allow Wondering / godgrace to continually TROLL the Calvinist board.? She comes only to disrupt.

brightfame52

Are you going to oversee this forum or not??
He does oversee this forum. The thread is about 25 quotes about Calvinism, that several members enjoy and agree with. A person comes on and says Calvinism is false doctrine, knowing we all like these teachings.
We do not cry and try to censor the poster as you are eager to do. We let him say what he wants. We let him post what he wants. Then we just answer him in kind.
Brightflame sees it, and is okay with it.

You violate your beloved TOS rules quite often. You are subjective as to what is a violation. That can be a thinly veiled excuse to censor people who you cannot answer. We see it for what it is.

The definition of RESPECT is: a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements.
Respect must be earned. Thus, no need to respond.

brightfame52 .... why do you allow Wondering / godgrace to continually TROLL the Calvinist board.? She comes only to disrupt.
Nothing wrong with your eyesight FF.
Coming in to disrupt....yes, well said.

but don't tell every other Christian that does not agree with you that THEY are wrong.
You are doing that very thing. You are saying you are right and we are wrong.
ONLY Calvinists believe in Calvinism.
No other denomination agrees with Calvinism.
Calvinism is not a denomination
I'd stop and ponder this.
No one agrees with you here, or your supposed history.
You do not dictate to us who is true or not.
You are biased

This is post #50 which says you will not respond to me. Then 23 minutes after I make a post you break your word and respond to me in post #52. How can I respect someone who doesn’t keep their word?
brightfame52 she should be reprimanded, do something
She posts and attacks all the time. Let her post it shows her error. We just ask to respond openly and honestly.

Romans 7:14 For we know that the Law is spiritual, but I am fleshly, having been sold into bondage under sin.

Paul does not say "I was fleshly".

It was his present condition, not his past.
That was written from the perspective of one in still the flesh.
Paul's narrative is about his past, from the perspective of still being there.
It is in the present-historical tense.

From Google: In English grammar, the "historical present" is the use of a verb phrase in the present tense to refer to an event that took place in the past. In narratives, the historical present may be used to create an effect of immediacy. Also called the "historic present, dramatic present, and narrative present."

This is truth.

However, these people do not believe that. They believe they are walking sin free.

They justify their own pride that blinds them and twist Scripture for their unbiblical teaching.

It is easy to say one is sinless behind a keyboard.
It is impossible to honestly say it, when one is mired in sin.
Jesus came to free us from that mire, and was successful.
Calvinism would have us beleive that God picks out who will be saved, and then leaves them to keep committing sin.
That doesn't sound like the God I submitted to.

It is impossible to honestly say it, when one is mired in sin.
Jesus came to free us from that mire, and was successful.
Calvinism would have us beleive that God picks out who will be saved, and then leaves them to keep committing sin.
That doesn't sound like the God I submitted to.
You're demeanor in this forum is impressive.
With all the attacks coming your way.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back