Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

A Personal Relationship with the Lord

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Excuse my ignorance but whats a sinner's prayer

What many call the 'Sinner's Prayer' is simply the simple prayer of acknowledging that one is a sinner and in need of a Saviour and receiving the sacrifice of Jesus for one's sin, repenting of one's sin, and asking Jesus to come and live His life in and through the person and promising to follow Him with one's life.

It shouldn't be as formulaic as many people have made it out to be, but basically, what we need to do is to confess our faith in Jesus Christ before God publically, fulfilling a basic command. This does NOT mean that we cannot find Christ and salvation in Him all by our lonesome selves! But the word of God says we really must tell others---there is a kind of sealing that takes place in the heavenlies when we do.

Romans 10:9 NLT
If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

What many call the 'Sinner's Prayer' is simply the simple prayer of acknowledging that one is a sinner and in need of a Saviour and receiving the sacrifice of Jesus for one's sin, repenting of one's sin, and asking Jesus to come and live His life in and through the person and promising to follow Him with one's life.

It shouldn't be as formulaic as many people have made it out to be, but basically, what we need to do is to confess our faith in Jesus Christ before God publically, fulfilling a basic command. This does NOT mean that we cannot find Christ and salvation in Him all by our lonesome selves! But the word of God says we really must tell others---there is a kind of sealing that takes place in the heavenlies when we do.

Romans 10:9 NLT
If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Ok now that I know what it is , I guess I misunderstood you in your previous post. I thought you were saying there was some thing wrong with a sinners pray. I suppose you are not saying that only that a person has do more to be saved.

I don't think we have to make a public spectacle of our prayers or faith my relationship is personal between me and God. I am seriously thinking of stopping going to church it seems a waste of time to me. I get more from studying Gods word myself. I'm sure some where in the bible someone asks Jesus how we should pray and Jesus tells them to do it quietly without making a public spectacle of it. Don't ask me where this is I think its in Matthew somewhere.

Ok now that I know what it is , I guess I misunderstood you in your previous post. I thought you were saying there was some thing wrong with a sinners pray. I suppose you are not saying that only that a person has do more to be saved.

I don't think we have to make a public spectacle of our prayers or faith my relationship is personal between me and God. I am seriously thinking of stopping going to church it seems a waste of time to me. I get more from studying Gods word myself. I'm sure some where in the bible someone asks Jesus how we should pray and Jesus tells them to do it quietly without making a public spectacle of it. Don't ask me where this is I think its in Matthew somewhere.

i would advise that at is a command to attend a local body and seldom does just leaving a church solve problems.

yes theres time to go to another but all too often its the indivual that has the problem.

what of this

if you dont confess me openly, I will likewise confess thee not before the father and his angels.

Walking away from the assembly of believers is not an answer to anything. In fact, it is against God to separate oneself from the Body, whose parts are all integral.

Let me add a little flair to his statement and express what I am hearing.

So who saves who? We save God from a terribly lonely eternity.

I think you are wrong if you believe the Lord doesn’t have feelings.

I believe the Lord has feelings.

Loneliness is a negative and self-centered emotion, which God doesn't have because He is never alone or bereft of anything, nor is He selfish in any way.

I believe the Lord has feelings.

He has all the emotions he has created us with, as we are made in His image, but the pure spiritual sense of loneliness I am sure Jesus suffered in Gethsemane, and the Father is indeed acquainted with it, but He doesn't suffer with it, nor did He create mankind out of that mindset.

We must be careful we don't make God into a caricature of us--a 'mini me', if you will. He isn't.

He has all the emotions he has created us with, as we are made in His image, but the pure spiritual sense of loneliness I am sure Jesus suffered in Gethsemane, and the Father is indeed acquainted with it, but He doesn't suffer with it, nor did He create mankind out of that mindset.

We must be careful we don't make God into a caricature of us--a 'mini me', if you will. He isn't.

I believe we should respect the Lord’s feelings.

I believe we should respect the Lord’s feelings.

What we need to do is stop thinking that God is human with the negative emotions that we have to deal with because we have evil in us.

God has a perfect emotional makeup, untainted by sin, and based in perfect love. Loneliness is a negative emotion tainted by selfishness, serving self and not love. God doesn't experience it.

Respect that.

Before you consider that "going to church" is a "waste of time", consider that God has commanded His People to congregate as such for thousands of years and there is no abrogation of that command. In Hebrews, the writer says that we Christians are still bound to the Sabbath (not the Jewish one...), to rest. Falling away from seeking out God's rest in fellowship leads to a falling away from God Himself...

For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day. There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief. Heb 4:8-11

Don't be confused with "rest", since the Greek calls this "rest"... "sabbatismos", not just resting in front of the TV watching the football games... Most Bibles do an injustice to this passage by using "rest", rather than "Sabbath".

The same writer states that some are staying away from this fellowship and worship of God, and he exhorts them to continue going. CAREFULLY consider the context of the writer - "maintain your faith - not like those who choose not to worship with us - reminding the hearers that such can lose their salvation..."

Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised) And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching. For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries. Heb 10:23-27

The sin here, in context, must be, in part "FORESAKING THE ASSEMBLIES OF OURSELVES TOGETHER". Clearly, the writer is writing to faithful Jews who have recognized that Jesus is the Messiah. They were certainly familiar with Sabbath and entering God's rest weekly. The association above clearly does not give the indication that we can just "put it aside" and "go it alone", for there are potentially eternal consequences to such "WILLFUL SINFUL" actions, as the writer states.

Regards

What we need to do is stop thinking that God is human with the negative emotions that we have to deal with because we have evil in us.

God has a perfect emotional makeup, untainted by sin, and based in perfect love. Loneliness is a negative emotion tainted by selfishness, serving self and not love. God doesn't experience it.

Respect that.

Not so sure. Wrath is a negative emotional characteristic.

strong, stern, or fierce anger; deeply resentful indignation; ire.
vengeance or punishment as the consequence of anger.

I would even say that it is impossible for a truly omniscient and perfect being TO be "aroused to anger".

I would say the same about jealousy, . . . which can be piggy backed off of "loneliness". . . . not wanting someone to refuse you and be drawn to another. And the threat of punishment to those who don't "reciprocate feelings" is hardly what a "personal relationship" should be.

so if a man kills your wife and kids you gonna smile and be happy or mad and full of hurt and anger?

be real.

love protects.

God is jealous over us because he wants us to be in spirtual health and live forever and he witholds no good thing from those that love him.

Not so sure. Wrath is a negative emotional characteristic.
Only for humans.

I would even say that it is impossible for a truly omniscient and perfect being TO be "aroused to anger".

Nope. God has emotions--perfect ones. He hates sin.

I would say the same about jealousy, . . . which can be piggy backed off of "loneliness". . . . not wanting someone to refuse you and be drawn to another. And the threat of punishment to those who don't "reciprocate feelings" is hardly what a "personal relationship" should be.

God is jealous because He created us to be His own. He desires us. It is a perfect jealousy over what is meant to be His to begin with. It isn't the negative envy over something someone else owns, although Satan is a thief.

God offers life to us. He doesn't threaten. He tells us the score, but it's up to us to choose life.

Only for humans.

Nope. God has emotions--perfect ones. He hates sin.

God is jealous because He created us to be His own. He desires us. It is a perfect jealousy over what is meant to be His to begin with. It isn't the negative envy over something someone else owns, although Satan is a thief.

God offers life to us. He doesn't threaten. He tells us the score, but it's up to us to choose life.

I disagree with the notion of a "perfect jealousy". It is still a possessive. Someone with a spouse is one with them. . . and legally and spiritually, they are meant for eachother. When one spouse strays, the other becomes jealous, and for good reason. They don't want what is theirs taken away by another. But it happens all the time. . . . . . Regardless, . . . I disagree that "all people are the christian god's". And what about this "perfect jealousy" that is described in the 10 commandments? "Visiting iniquity upon generations of the offspring of those who reject him"? That is a negative response. No other way around it.

And yes, . . . there is a huge threat. I don't see how you can't see this.

I disagree with the notion of a "perfect jealousy". It is still a possessive. Someone with a spouse is one with them. . . and legally and spiritually, they are meant for eachother. When one spouse strays, the other becomes jealous, and for good reason. They don't want what is theirs taken away by another. But it happens all the time. . . . . . Regardless, . . . I disagree that "all people are the christian god's". And what about this "perfect jealousy" that is described in the 10 commandments? "Visiting iniquity upon generations of the offspring of those who reject him"? That is a negative response. No other way around it.

And yes, . . . there is a huge threat. I don't see how you can't see this.

Yes it is possessive, because we were created as His, to love Him and be in relationship with Him. That is our purpose.

Your disagreement is your God-given right, but don't complain when out of His great love for you, He relentlessly chases after you.

God doesn't threaten. He promises.

Yes it is possessive, because we were created as His, to love Him and be in relationship with Him. That is our purpose.

A question. Are those, who end up in hell, still "considered his possession"?

Your disagreement is your God-given right, but don't complain when out of His great love for you, He relentlessly chases after you.

God doesn't threaten. He promises.

Okay, . . . I won't complain. But he has to actually prove that he is. . . . and that has been discussed at length in other threads, right? :yes So, we'll just go onto. . .

Oh, he so DOES threaten. He makes the promise that he will send a person to hell for not reciprocating his feelings. Can that really make for a healthy "relationship"? If I forced a person to be with me, . . . a person I desired greatly, . . . but who didn't feel for me the same way at all, . . . and because they refused me, I locked them up in my basement and tortured them slowly because of their decision, . . . would that be a completely unhealthy [and criminal] relationship? It sure would be.

What if I never let the person know about me at all, . . . and because they refused me [only because they didn't know me at all], did the same as above?

[/B]

A question. Are those, who end up in hell, still "considered his possession"?

Everyone is his creation. Those who will find themselves in hell are too, but they are not His children. They are loved and invited to become His adopted sons and daughters, to come and eat at His table, but they refuse, preferring to eat at their abusive father's table.

Okay, . . . I won't complain. But he has to actually prove that he is. . . . and that has been discussed at length in other threads, right? :yes So, we'll just go onto. . .

Oh, he so DOES threaten. He makes the promise that he will send a person to hell for not reciprocating his feelings. Can that really make for a healthy "relationship"? If I forced a person to be with me, . . . a person I desired greatly, . . . but who didn't feel for me the same way at all, . . . and because they refused me, I locked them up in my basement and tortured them slowly because of their decision, . . . would that be a completely unhealthy [and criminal] relationship? It sure would be.

What if I never let the person know about me at all, . . . and because they refused me [only because they didn't know me at all], did the same as above?

The promise stands. You know the score, so if you refuse His great love and choose thev falseness of the world, then you know what you are choosing.

No one is exempt from the invitation to the Father's family.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back