Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

A Reprobate Mind

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Catholic church is able to teach a good outward works. but there teaching is way off.
I don't think they teach any good outward works. I will try to be kind and add 'in my life experience which involved teaching at a catholic university. Someone else's experience may be different.'

I think the 'going too far' that Lewis is referring to is going to far into willful, unrepentant sin in which the person does NOT ask God's forgiveness about. That person is in danger of being turned over to a reprobate mind. Which, once they are turned over, can not come back from (Hebrews 6:6 NASB). God is patient, but he does not contend with man forever.

If the repeat offender is repeatedly coming back to God in brokenness and humbleness of heart seeking God's forgiveness again and again, that is not the candidate for being turned over to a reprobate mind. They are safe in the grace of God. Venture away from his forgiveness and you venture away from the grace that protects and saves.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Hi JB,
I agree to some point with what you are saying, but simply going in to a willing sin patern does not seem to be the same as the people in which this topic of reprobate mind was issued to. What I mean is, those people which were spoken of in the word had turned thier backs on God. Now what I mean is they on purpose with free willof thier own hearts, turned to worshiping things and not God. I mean it seems they took what God had placed before them and on purpose turned to do just the opposite of what God had spoken to them to do.

This is so far from getting caught up in a willfull sin and then geting turned over to a reprobate mind. From what I have learned is that the ones in which this happened to had ALREADY turned thier minds against God. This is not the same thing as simply doing sin, They wont listen to God or His ways and they make this known by thier words and actions.

Example.........A man gets so frusdtrated with his job and wild kids and his wife spends all his money faster then he makes it. She has friends that she hides and he knows it. He hits rock bottom and says screw it, God dont care and goes off to the bar. This goes on year after year and he does not read his bible or go to church. Just drinks and works and deals with his failing life the best he can.........Now would God say enough, no more chances........it's reprobate mind time for you.....Not Hardly

Now you take a man who turns away from God and gets into drinking and other sinful stuff but every time God tries to nudge him back, he says screw you and does just the opposite to despise God on purpose.
He then indulges in what ever God hates or hurts God on purpose for this reason and so forth....Yea then I believe after a set time, perhaps God would give the man over to his reprobate mind but this man CHOSE this way ON PURPOSE TO SPITE GOD and the man knew this or did it on purpose.....

The only unforgivable sin is to REJECT CHRIST...........
I have seen folks who have turned away from God and got caught up in a gay relationship and of course they ovoided places that CHRISTIANS would be and hid from God's nudging year after year after and then one day many years later, it happened....some born again spirit filled blood washed believer found them and heard thier story and befriended them and in short...........this person repented and is serving God with a heart truer thern most.

The bigest problem with this is as follows......TOO MANY CHRISITANS TRYING TO DO GODS JOB FOR HIM...
What I mean is this........Christians give up and turn away far before God does is so many cases because they believe they know all about His ways...It's sad but true......Christians need to love and forgive and plant seed and water that seed and stop judging who is a good canident to be saved and who is not.

Use this REPROBATE SCRIPTURE as a tool to judge YOUR OWN ACTIONS AND LIFE and nothing more....
Just my thoughts
Jim

Last edited:
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Hi JB,
I agree to some point with what you are saying, but simply going in to a willing sin patern does not seem to be the same as the people in which this topic of reprobate mind was issued to. What I mean is, those people which were spoken of in the word had turned thier backs on God. Now what I mean is they on purpose with free willof thier own hearts, turned to worshiping things and not God. I mean it seems they took what God had placed before them and on purpose turned to do just the opposite of what God had spoken to them to do.

This is so far from getting caught up in a willfull sin and then geting turned over to a reprobate mind. From what I have learned is that the ones in which this happened to had ALREADY turned thier minds against God. This is not the same thing as simply doing sin, They wont listen to God or His ways and they make this known by thier words and actions.

Example.........A man gets so frusdtrated with his job and wild kids and his wife spends all his money faster then he makes it. She has friends that she hides and he knows it. He hits rock bottom and says screw it, God dont care and goes off to the bar. This goes on year after year and he does not read his bible or go to church. Just drinks and works and deals with his failing life the best he can.........Now would God say enough, no more chances........it's reprobate mind time for you.....Not Hardly

Now you take a man who turns away from God and gets into drinking and other sinful stuff but every time God tries to nudge him back, he says screw you and does just the opposite to despise God on purpose.
He then indulges in what ever God hates or hurts God on purpose for this reason and so forth....Yea then I believe after a set time, perhaps God would give the man over to his reprobate mind but this man CHOSE this way ON PURPOSE TO SPITE GOD and the man knew this or did it on purpose.....

I have seen folks who have turned away from God and got caught up in a gasy relationship and of course they ovoided places that CHRISTIANS would be and hid from God's nudging year after year after and then one day many years later, it happened....some born again spirit filled blood washed believer found them and heard thier story and befriended them and in short...........this person repented and is serving God with a heart truer thern most.

The bigest problem with this is as follows......TOO MANY CHRISITANS TRYING TO DO GODS JOB FOR HIM...
What I mean is this........Christians give up and turn away far before God does is so many cases because they believe they know all about His ways...It's sad but true......Christians need to love and forgive and plant seed and water that seed and stop judging who is a good canident to be saved and who is not.

Use this REPROBATE SCRIPTURE as a tool to judge YOUR OWN ACTIONS AND LIFE and nothing more....
Just my thoughts
Jim
This is really so comforting and true. When I first read of the reprobate mind I shivered with thanks that the Lord has saved me, that He was so merciful and patient and kept trying with me. That he was not so quick to judge.

Hi JB,

I have seen folks who have turned away from God and got caught up in a gay relationship and of course they ovoided places that CHRISTIANS would be and hid from God's nudging year after year after and then one day many years later, it happened....some born again spirit filled blood washed believer found them and heard thier story and befriended them and in short...........this person repented and is serving God with a heart truer thern most.

Just my thoughts
Jim
I agree. What convinced me of this was the description in Strong's of the Greek word translated as wilfully in Hebrews 10:26.
Heb 10:26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

Just my thoughts
Jim
What do I do with the books of 2 Peter and Jude that teach us to discern the reprobate mind?

This is really so comforting and true. When I first read of the reprobate mind I shivered with thanks that the Lord has saved me, that He was so merciful and patient and kept trying with me. That he was not so quick to judge.
Right, that he's not so quick to judge. But that does not mean he won't.

26 For if we go on sinning willfully after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,
27 but a terrifying expectation of judgment and THE FURY OF A FIRE WHICH WILL CONSUME THE ADVERSARIES.
28 Anyone who has set aside the Law of Moses dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses.
29 How much severer punishment do you think he will deserve who has trampled under foot the Son of God, and has regarded as unclean the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has insulted the Spirit of grace?
30 For we know Him who said, "VENGEANCE IS MINE, I WILL REPAY." And again, "THE LORD WILL JUDGE HIS PEOPLE." (Hebrews 10:26-30 NASB CAPITALS IN ORIGINAL)

{ willfully denounce the forgiveness of sins in Christ?} that makes them a apostate and i have serious doubts .they was ever saved..
A truth that no follower of the Most Holy god should never fear teaching. Good post brother of mine.

question how many have sinned willfully after salvation ?
What would it mean if I raised my hand?

waiting2-smiley.gif

[QUOTE="]What would it mean if I raised my hand?
waiting2-smiley.gif

.[/QUOTE] dunno you tell me.. i see to many insecure Christains who worry about being a reprobate

[QUOTE="]What would it mean if I raised my hand?
waiting2-smiley.gif

dunno you tell me.. i see to many insecure Christains who worry about being a reprobate[/QUOTE]
having lived some of that. I cant say that its common. I would say most are carnal and have a hard heart but not a reprobate. a reprobate wouldn't care.

{ willfully denounce the forgiveness of sins in Christ?} that makes them a apostate and i have serious doubts .they was ever saved..
What do we do about the SANCTIFIED people of Hebrews 10:26-30 NASB?

26 For if we go on sinning willfully after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,
27 but a terrifying expectation of judgment and THE FURY OF A FIRE WHICH WILL CONSUME THE ADVERSARIES.
28 Anyone who has set aside the Law of Moses dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses.
29 How much severer punishment do you think he will deserve who has trampled under foot the Son of God, and has regarded as unclean the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has insulted the Spirit of grace?
30 For we know Him who said, "VENGEANCE IS MINE, I WILL REPAY." And again, "THE LORD WILL JUDGE HIS PEOPLE." (Hebrews 10:26-30 NASB CAPITALS IN ORIGINAL)

How do we interpret this as to un-sanctify them in order to preserve a doctrine of 'they were never saved to begin with'?

i see to many insecure Christains who worry about being a reprobate
As jasonc points out, just the fact that they worry about it shows God has prolly not turned them over to a reprobate mind. But the truth is, if there is any grounds at all for that fear then it's a healthy fear. A fear designed to drive us back to, and keep us in, God's kindness:

"20 ...they were broken off for their unbelief, but you stand by your faith. Do not be conceited , but fear;
21 for if God did not spare the natural branches, He will not spare you, either.
22 Behold then the kindness and severity of God; to those who fell, severity, but to you, God's kindness, if you continue in His kindness; otherwise you also will be cut off." (Romans 11:20-22 NASB)

dunno you tell me.. i see to many insecure Christains who worry about being a reprobate

It was your question. I answered it. From the why the question is worded, I assumed you had a comeback.

I see that you don't.

No biggie.

What do I do with the books of 2 Peter and Jude that teach us to discern the reprobate mind?

Besides read it ? lol
What exactly in 2 peter are you talking about and in Jude...Can you narrow it down for me to what it is you are referring too....I want to be on the same page in this,,,and not guess at what you are saying here.
Thanks Jethro Bodine,
Jim

question how many have sinned willfully after salvation ?

Ahhhhh like every one who sins....its not by mistake or accident, we give into it or make a bad choice and in some cases dont care but ALL OF US make a choice to do something or not do it...Now yea perhaps with out thnking you blew your horn too long or yelled at some one with out thinking but then that takes us back to learning to walk in the spirit and not the flesh.....or keeping anger under controll etc....

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back